Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2013, 19:17   #26
myrc

I see your point

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post
its very sweet, but sketchy as hell. it will come up and be nice to me at times then bark and try to attack me 5 minutes later. it has been living in her bedroom her entire life, it barks and tries to attack everything. has attacked her parents dogs when she brought it home and is EXTREMELY protective of her (the girlfriend)
After reading this I'm not entirely sure that you're wrong on your stance. Some dogs are broken mentally -- ones that are aggressive towards people are intolerable.

Personally, I've been there. My girlfriend wanted me to give up my dog initially (Gshep rescue that is aggressive towards other dogs). I gave her the ultimatum, that I would not. We have moved on in our relationship and now she loves my dog.

I would never stand for a dog that showed erratic behavior towards people though. Especially a powerful dog...

I believe that neither of you can compromise on this without giving something up that they believe in. She loves the dog... period. You don't trust the dog, know it is aggressive and dangerous.

You know what you need to do. Sorry man.
Old 03-15-2013, 19:18   #27
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
Yes, you're an *******. Break up.
This.

Do her a favor and never darken her door again.

Last edited by MtBaldy; 03-16-2013 at 00:31..
MtBaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:21   #28
superspud
Ninja

so aside from the fact that the dog is unpredictable, i would never want to have kids with any pit bull around, let alone this one... we both work 12'ish hours a day, the dog would have to be inside all day long, most likely in my spare bedroom since it has an appetite for leather couches... the main thing ive tried to drive home to her is that its unfair to the dog. a big dog should not have to live inside all the time, especially in a spare bedroom.

problem is, she cant even live in a regular apartment with this dog, most apartments in the area dont allow pit bulls so even if we wanted to "postpone" things for a while, she'd have to live in a **** hole apartment if she wanted to keep it.

oh well, i appreciate all the feedback guys. i certainly wasnt expecting everyone to side with me, thats why i made this thread to see both sides of things.
Old 03-15-2013, 19:29   #29
Never Nervous

Quote:
if it were literally any other dog breed in the world (almost) it wouldnt even be an issue...

its very sweet, but sketchy as hell. it will come up and be nice to me at times then bark and try to attack me 5 minutes later. it has been living in her bedroom her entire life, it barks and tries to attack everything. has attacked her parents dogs when she brought it home and is EXTREMELY protective of her (the girlfriend)

judging from personal experience, not "internet" experience. my brother had one as have several friends. in each scenario "something" has gone wrong to where they attacked someone or something and of course it was written off as not the dogs fault...

if the situation were reversed, i'd get rid of my dog in a heart beat. a dog over the girl i want to marry? easy decision.
There is a message in there for you somewhere.

NN

Last edited by Never Nervous; 03-15-2013 at 19:30..
Never Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:30   #30
Trapped_in_Kali

I know the Pit Bull lovers will attack me for this but...........
As a dog lover I say you're right.
I have had friends with Pit Bulls and have played with them and had no problems but I personally would not plan to have & raise kids around a Pit Bull (or any other breed that has been bread for aggressiveness).
All animals can and will at times act impulsively & irrationally and "fighting breeds" of dogs have a tendency to do this more often than other breeds.
Yes a Goldie might eat your child's face off but IMHO a Pit Bull or Rottweiler is more likely to do it.
In my personal experience your Dachshund is probably much more aggressive but is able to do far less damage than a Pit Bull.
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:32   #31
true believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
This.

Do her a favor and never darken her door again. You're an a**h*** and she's better off without you.

maybe she loves the dog more and he is jealous!!
now they cant wait to get on the net and proudly display their ignorance over and over again"-
Dragoon44.
true believer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:33   #32
kiole

What would you do if she asked you to get rid of all your guns as she wasn't comfortable having them around future children?
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:34   #33
*ASH*

both of you need to get rid of your dogs . or break up . personally i would have the same problem , i had friends with pitt problems, family , etc and i wont be around them.
Old 03-15-2013, 19:36   #34
*ASH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post
What would you do if she asked you to get rid of all your guns as she wasn't comfortable having them around future children?
thats apple to oranges . guns dont attack people , and when left alone in the house are fine .
Old 03-15-2013, 19:39   #35
m2hmghb

Break up with her and send me her phone number. It sounds like she needs someone more mature to date her.

Oh and by the way, if she asked you to give up your prized possessions(guns for example) would you do that?

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.

Last edited by m2hmghb; 03-15-2013 at 19:40..
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:41   #36
ray9898

Quote:
please tell me you're joking....
Not at all...it is her pet you are talking about that she is obviously emotionally attached to. If you cannot accommodate her along with her pet and are "drawing your line in the sand" over something so insignificant then I see nothing but bad things in the future.

Last edited by ray9898; 03-15-2013 at 19:44..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:41   #37
superspud
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped_in_Kali View Post
I know the Pit Bull lovers will attack me for this but...........
As a dog lover I say you're right.
I have had friends with Pit Bulls and have played with them and had no problems but I personally would not plan to have & raise kids around a Pit Bull (or any other breed that has been bread for aggressiveness).
All animals can and will at times act impulsively & irrationally and "fighting breeds" of dogs have a tendency to do this more often than other breeds.
Yes a Goldie might eat your child's face off but IMHO a Pit Bull or Rottweiler is more likely to do it.
In my personal experience your Dachshund is probably much more aggressive but is able to do far less damage than a Pit Bull.
yep, she's stated and ive agreed that dachshunds are "more aggressive and protective" than pits. however if a dachshund goes ballistic on you, you have a few scrapes, if a pit does, you're dead....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Nervous View Post
There is a message in there for you somewhere.

touche...

NN
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post
we met each other through a mutual friend, i've been very open about my guns all along so we wouldnt even be at the point we are now if that was an issue.... but then again, ive known about her dog also, just never really realized it was going to come to this until somewhat recently. kind of just thought of it as a dog, not a huge ordeal....

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
both of you need to get rid of your dogs . or break up . personally i would have the same problem , i had friends with pitt problems, family , etc and i wont be around them.
not a bad idea. i'd be all for that actually. i love the hell out of my dog but wont let it get in the way of the rest of my life...
Old 03-15-2013, 19:46   #38
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

I can understand where you are coming from. We had a dog when my oldest son was young, but it just wasn't a good situation. It basically came down to this, we neglected the dog (not criminally, just didn't play with him or let him in the house much or walk him much) because our focus was on our kid(s) and although he was a good dog, he wasn't a good dog for young kids. It didn't take long for us to sell him.

Personally, I have owned dogs throughout my life, and I simply do not have the time for them at all with kids.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:49   #39
RenoF250

I think you should be concerned about her if she would dump the dog for you, I would respect her holding her ground. That said, I understand your position and think you need to find a solution that satisfies both of you. You said she has a house, why are you talking apartment and keeping the dog inside? Keep the house and put the dog outside. No kids until it has expired.

You should be able to discuss this with her, is it her way or the highway? If so take the highway.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 19:58   #40
superspud
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
I think you should be concerned about her if she would dump the dog for you, I would respect her holding her ground. That said, I understand your position and think you need to find a solution that satisfies both of you. You said she has a house, why are you talking apartment and keeping the dog inside? Keep the house and put the dog outside. No kids until it has expired.

You should be able to discuss this with her, is it her way or the highway? If so take the highway.
its a crappy college house on a college campus, both of her older brothers used it and she lived there while she was in college. it was never intended to be a permanent house, just for college use. as it turns out, my house is literally half a mile from the hospital she works at, while the house she's currently in is about 45 minutes.
Old 03-15-2013, 20:01   #41
oldman11

She thinks more of her dog than she does you. You've already got your answer, you just have to realize it.
Old 03-15-2013, 20:08   #42
gTWO

I agree with the other intelligent posters. You got lucky, and found out who she loves more. Seperate from her for a month, and see if she changes her mind. If not, move on. And please be smart enough to ignore the AH's who called you one...
gTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 20:27   #43
Red Stick

Quote:
yep, she's stated and ive agreed that dachshunds are "more aggressive and protective" than pits. however if a dachshund goes ballistic on you, you have a few scrapes, if a pit does, you're dead....

we met each other through a mutual friend, i've been very open about my guns all along so we wouldnt even be at the point we are now if that was an issue.... but then again, ive known about her dog also, just never really realized it was going to come to this until somewhat recently. kind of just thought of it as a dog, not a huge ordeal....

not a bad idea. i'd be all for that actually. i love the hell out of my dog but wont let it get in the way of the rest of my life...
"Kind of just thought of it as a dog, not a huge ordeal"
A dog when properly cared for is a pretty big deal. It's a animal that relies on its master for everything, food, water, exercise, discipline, medical care, training, etc. A dog is a 10-15 year commitment, if acquired as a puppy, and requires a tremendous amount of time and energy to raise one that is trustworthy and enjoyable for even strangers to be around.

It sounds like your lifestyles are more conducive to cat ownership. IMO it's selfish for you to expect her to give up a beloved pet, but it sounds like the dog would be better off some where else.

For what it's worth I've been around a lot of dogs in my life, lots of Akitas, 3 in a household at one time, also Dobermans, GSDs, APBTs, and many others. The only dog I've been bitten by was a dachshund, it bit through a boot upper and drew blood. If it could've reached my face it would've done serious damage.
Old 03-15-2013, 20:28   #44
jp3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
If the dog is more important to her than you are, it is good you learned this before marriage. There are plenty of great girls out there who would understand your strong feelings on this matter and let the dog go to a good home somewhere else. No matter what, people are more important than animals, and I love dogs.
Thats not it though. Its not that she cares more about the dog...its that she isnt getting rid of the dog just because her boyfriend wants her too.

What if your girl said you had to get a green mohawk or she's leaving? Well, obviously your hair is more important than her if you say no, right?

Just because your so wants you to do something and you arent willing to do it, doesnt mean that you're less important. Just that theyre not willing to move.

I dont love my guns more than my girlfriend, but i wouldnt give them up if she demanded it either.

A dog that this girl has had forever...she' not giving that up.

Quote:

Had you said this in your original post, you would have caught less crap over it.

I doubt she's going to get rid of the dog. The best you can shoot for is to make it an outside dog. How old is the dog? Wait til its gone to have kids...or make sure its never around the kid/s.
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 20:28   #45
WarCry

Quote:
if it were literally any other dog breed in the world (almost) it wouldn't even be an issue...
The problem is absolutely, 100%, unquestionably on YOUR end, not hers. You're being both narrow-minded and an ass about it.

Quote:
kind of just thought of it as a dog, not a huge ordeal....

These comments tell me that you shouldn't be a pet owner. Pets aren't property to just take or leave with whatever fits your lifestyle at that moment. They aren't furniture, and they aren't fashion accessories. You don't just toss them away when they become too much of a hassle.

Quote:
we met each other through a mutual friend, i've been very open about my guns all along so we wouldnt even be at the point we are now if that was an issue....
That wasn't the question. The question was posed as a hypothetical. Forget guns. Think of ANYTHING that you have in you life that's important to you and you were told it needed to go.

BTW, if anyone feels my opinion was too harsh, I don't give a damn. I've seen too many dogs that just got cast aside because the owner "couldn't handle it" any more - meaning they didn't want to buy the food, take the walks, etc. The only thing the dogs did wrong was to find their way into the home of a selfish asshat.

Last edited by WarCry; 03-15-2013 at 20:31..
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 20:31   #46
Clusterfrack

Poorly trained pits are dangerous. Anyone disagree?
Old 03-15-2013, 20:32   #47
F350

Quote:
im sure there have been many "pit bulls are the best dogs ever" or "pit bulls are terrible!!!" threads on here, but i figured i'd start one more.

the lady and I have been dating for over a year now and are very serious. have discussed marriage, have talked about kids eventually and all that junk. everytime we start discussing serious things there is one issue we can not get beyond, her pit bull...

a little background:

I am 29, graduated college in 2006, worked in vegas for a few years and have lived back in the houston area since 2009. have a good steady job, own a house (paid for) as well as my car. I have a dachshund, no kids and have never been married, or even considered it.

she is 22, just got her degree in nursing and started her job at the hospital. great girl, was a college cheer leader, awesome personality and we get along great.

the only issue we face and constantly argue about is her dog. we dont live together (she has a house her parents bought that she lived in during college) but plan to start a life together. I have been very clear about the fact that i will not have her dog living in my house since day one, we've kinda just swept it under the carpet each time. well now that she's working and we're more serious, its becoming more of an issue. I have very firm feelings about pit bulls, im sure there's great examples of how sweet they are, but i want nothing to do with them. I wont have one living in my house, i won't have it in my back yard and i certainly wouldnt raise kids around one, period.

she, refuses to get rid of it. she has now stated that she will NOT get rid of it...

what to do......? am i in the wrong here and just too stubborn to acknowledge it?

cliffs: girlfriend for some reason has a pit bull, i will not have anything to do with it, she wont get rid of it... am i an ******* or what?
YOU my friend are not ready for marriage.
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 20:33   #48
jim goose
"The Goose"

Whats her number?
jim goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 20:36   #49
Red Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
Poorly trained pits are dangerous. Anyone disagree?
It's not training or lack there of that makes dogs dangerous, it's a lack of socialization and discipline that can make a dog dangerous.
Old 03-15-2013, 20:38   #50
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
The problem is absolutely, 100%, unquestionably on YOUR end, not hers. You're being both narrow-minded and an ass about it.

These comments tell me that you shouldn't be a pet owner. Pets aren't property to just take or leave with whatever fits your lifestyle at that moment. They aren't furniture, and they aren't fashion accessories. You don't just toss them away when they become too much of a hassle.

That wasn't the question. The question was posed as a hypothetical. Forget guns. Think of ANYTHING that you have in you life that's important to you and you were told it needed to go.

BTW, if anyone feels my opinion was too harsh, I don't give a damn. I've seen too many dogs that just got cast aside because the owner "couldn't handle it" any more - meaning they didn't want to buy the food, take the walks, etc. The only thing the dogs did wrong was to find their way into the home of a selfish asshat.
Get over yourself... If you really knew anything about animals; dogs in particular, then you would have clued in to a couple of very important points he made.

This isn't an average dog that the OP simply dislikes because he's not a dog person. He stated it has not been properly socialized, since it has spent nearly all of it's life cooped up in a spare bedroom.

It has also displayed aggressive behavior towards him and other animals, and it is destructive to furniture, which is another indicator of behavior issues.

If anything, the girlfriend is the one that is the irresponsible pet owner and has caused undo harm to the dog...

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote