Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:55   #251
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
Dude, the most you post here you'll realize. Threads that never die (till the mods lock) in GT are.

1. pitbulls
2. the war on drugs
3. guns for felons
4. jacked up teeth and missing bravia TVs
5. any thread created by Eurodriver, or his aliases he uses to smurf back in to dodge the ban hammer.
6. Abortion
I just feel like to be a troll for once.

REPOST!2121123112312lkjashlkasdjahfsd

To OP: Please hand out your manhood membership card; since you couldn't figure this out.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 13:58   #252
nursetim

Don't a lot of children get severely injured or killed by golden retrievers? Labrador retrievers?
Old 03-18-2013, 14:43   #253
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspud View Post
im sure there have been many "pit bulls are the best dogs ever" or "pit bulls are terrible!!!" threads on here, but i figured i'd start one more.

the lady and I have been dating for over a year now and are very serious. have discussed marriage, have talked about kids eventually and all that junk. everytime we start discussing serious things there is one issue we can not get beyond, her pit bull...

a little background:

I am 29, graduated college in 2006, worked in vegas for a few years and have lived back in the houston area since 2009. have a good steady job, own a house (paid for) as well as my car. I have a dachshund, no kids and have never been married, or even considered it.

she is 22, just got her degree in nursing and started her job at the hospital. great girl, was a college cheer leader, awesome personality and we get along great.

the only issue we face and constantly argue about is her dog. we dont live together (she has a house her parents bought that she lived in during college) but plan to start a life together. I have been very clear about the fact that i will not have her dog living in my house since day one, we've kinda just swept it under the carpet each time. well now that she's working and we're more serious, its becoming more of an issue. I have very firm feelings about pit bulls, im sure there's great examples of how sweet they are, but i want nothing to do with them. I wont have one living in my house, i won't have it in my back yard and i certainly wouldnt raise kids around one, period.

she, refuses to get rid of it. she has now stated that she will NOT get rid of it...

what to do......? am i in the wrong here and just too stubborn to acknowledge it?

cliffs: girlfriend for some reason has a pit bull, i will not have anything to do with it, she wont get rid of it... am i an ******* or what?
Dump her. Get a new chick. Problem solved. Serious. If it's a lifestyle deal breaker for you, then stop seeing her. Same as if she thought your guns were something she just couldn't live with and you didn't get rid of them. If you have an irreconcilable difference, or fundamental difference of a belief about something, well...life's pretty short.

It's not really about the dog I don't think.

Here's a couple good question to ask yourself about any woman (or reverse this for the ladies):

"Is this person I'm 'serious' about someone that I can see teaching my children how to be human beings?"

"Is this person someone that I can count on to make responsible decisions about matters that directly impact my welfare?"

That's a good place to start.

One year turns into two, turns into five turns into ten pretty fast. Be a shame to spend all that time miserable.

You wouldn't be the first guy, and you won't be the last who was foolish enough to turn a blind eye to red flags / incompatibilities because her butt was cute or she had a nice rack. It will come back and cost you later. Ask me how I know. Learn from other's mistakes and do not repeat them.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 03-18-2013 at 14:54..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 14:48   #254
WarCry

Same song, different day...."You hear it all the time on the news..." etc.

As several folks have already pointed out, it's pretty shocking when gun owners will turn around and take the news stories at face value when we are the victims of this sort of thing so often:

The Okie Corral

There was one of these threads not so long ago that I contributed this:

The Okie Corral
Old 03-18-2013, 15:14   #255
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
Don't a lot of children get severely injured or killed by golden retrievers? Labrador retrievers?
Fair question. I'm not sure of the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post

There was one of these threads not so long ago that I contributed this:

The Okie Corral
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 15:25   #256
NDCent
Socially Inept

It doesn't matter how great a sammich she makes, find a new girlfriend. If she doesn't obey now, it will only get worse.
Old 03-18-2013, 16:17   #257
fran m

Sorry

Last edited by fran m; 03-18-2013 at 16:31.. Reason: double post
fran m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 16:20   #258
fran m

My experience with a friends Pit bull was not great. I saw him when I was getting out of my car and approached. The dog immediately jumped and took a chunk out of the bottom of my T shirt. I did nothing to provoke him. The owner pulled him back and I wasn't injured. This dog has been to two multi week obedience schools. The owner jokes that some dogs get A's in class, some just pass.

The dog did the same thing a year later. This time it didn't get me. I will never go near this dog again.

The owner knows that this dog is a problem. It is a rescue that can't be trusted. The owner is an animal lover and spares no expense in the good care and time devoted to his pets.

If this dog does serious injuries to him, his wife or a child I would not be surprised at all.

I know pit bulls are not for me and I am suspicious of them like the OP is. He should move on.
fran m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 18:46   #259
Michael Savage

I would not abide a pitbull around my children, especially an aggressive/protective one like I believe you described. However that being said, you guys don't have kids yet. I'd stay with her for now, and just be sure that by the time the kids come the dog finds a new home.

Best wishes.
Michael Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 18:51   #260
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

I loved my Chow Chow but when my son was born I could not take the chance and he became an outside dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 19:59   #261
sourdough44

Just get things going with her. One day when she is at work or doing errands take care of business. That may include a few pills hidden in the doggie treats. Then get a lab.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 20:08   #262
JabbaNoBother

Pits arent for everyone, sorry. Better you not be around one and comfortable than with one and uncomfortable. Maybe a punt dog?
Old 03-18-2013, 20:52   #263
DirtyPete

+1 ^^^

Find a new girl. I would never take a chance with my childrens safety by letting them around a pit bull, even if it was the nicest one in the world. Maybe it will make a snack of your weiner dog before you have kids.
DirtyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 21:04   #264
Red Stick

Any dog that won't fit in my murse makes me very uncomfortable.
Old 03-18-2013, 21:46   #265
FloorPoor

Really, biased against pit bulls? It is not the breed of dog, but the behavior a PARTICULAR dog exhibits, that matters, and many of those behaviors can be corrected with a little time and consistency, spent on correct techniques. Ever hear of the "Dog Whisperer"?
I have seen more dachshunds be aggressive toward children(actually every one I've ever seen around kids)then pit pulls, plus dachshunds just look really stupid.

If you two can't agree on what dogs to have, DON'T make a lifelong commitment. It will most likely result in a few good years with a young family, followed by a few miserable years with slightly older kids, then a messy divorce, in which she gets half your *****, and you have to pay her up to 50% of your income for child support for several years, and the kids will most likely get really screwed up emotionally.

After being less than happily married for 17 years (It would be WAY to costly to pull the plug at this point, I don't want to ruin my kids lives because I'm unhappy) my advice to you would be.....don't buy the cow if you can get the milk for free
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 21:57   #266
wanna19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Eeek! What a thread. I'll give you my experience. When I dated my wife, she told me flat out her 2 cats came with her. I've had a cat but not a fan but my wife has great legs so I continued dating her and our 10 yr anniversary is this year. The cats are still around.

Now about 4 years into our marriage, I wanted a dog. We went to rescue one and the only one they had good with cats was a pit bull mix. My wife was against getting her because of all the - things said about pits. We had her 3 years before she developed spine issues. People would walk away from us when we were out. She looked mean and was dog aggressive but VERY people friendly.

We missed her greatly when she was gone and we went back to the rescue and got another pit mix puppy. People are still weird around her. She is the most laid back wussy dog I have ever seen and also like our child.

IF you love her, you'd be wise to accept her dog unless there have been issues with it being aggressive towards you or her.
Pit bulls were the nanny dog back in the 50's. They have wonderful dispositions and are true people pleasers. If I was dating someone and they didn't accept my pit, I wouldn't waste my time with them.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

My wife is a bigger pit bull advocate than I am now.

I'm gonna add to my comment after reading page 2. It sounds like your girlfriend is a terrible dog owner. Any adult dog should not be chewing on your furniture and she should correct that. A dog shouldn't be kept inside all the time either. A dog door has been one of the best things we ever did. If she can't properly care for her dog, maybe she ain't all that? Choose wisely. I still wouldn't give up my dog for someone but hey, I take care of my dog.

I've got an American Bulldog, performance/standard type. Im not going to lie, he looks like a pit, He'll get aggressive like a pit towards other dogs. Heck, when I walk him around, I can almost guarantee I'll get at least one comment of " thats a big pit!", or, "Damn, get that thing away form me!" He's dog agressive, especially with dominate males, but he's the best dog I could ever want. When I'm feeling sad, he'll come lay with me, when I'm scared, he willl defend me. BUT, if you walk in my door and I let you in (IE, you dont force entry) his tail will wag, and he'll come to greet you. He will even come lay by you to pet him. Ruckus is a great dog, but if you try to play with his feet while he's trying to sleep, he will snap. I've done positive reinforcement to correct this issue, and have even popped him in the nose to let him know that that behaviour is not allowed: however, I would not have any problem having him around a child. He's a 90 lb lap dog... I will admit that while I havent had him the entire 3.5-4 years he's been alive, he is properly socialized and the only time I can see him ACTUALLY attacking me or someone I let in is if: A) I beat him B) He REALLY doesnt like someone (and that's with good reason) Does that make him a "bad dog"?

Cliff notes:
I love my dog, he's awesome, does that make him a bad dog if he doesn't like someone?

P.S. I realize your girlfrend's dog isn't socialized, maybe view it as an oppertunity to spend time with your girl friend, taking the dog to the park to run around and get socialized.

P.P.S. This is my dog, the one I've been talking about in this post
The Okie Corral
Old 03-18-2013, 22:31   #267
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna19 View Post
The Okie Corral
That looks like a big ol' lap-puppy! Good lookin' dog, though in that pic, he looks like he's upset that he didn't get the ribeye he wanted.
Old 03-18-2013, 23:07   #268
wanna19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
That looks like a big ol' lap-puppy! Good lookin' dog, though in that pic, he looks like he's upset that he didn't get the ribeye he wanted.
He got a full ribeye a few days ago actually... LOL Ruckus is an awesome dog. Wanting to find a female for companionship for him...
Old 03-18-2013, 23:20   #269
Maine

I almost feel like I'm posting in a 9mm vs .40 thread but here goes. My dog (a
dalmatian) was ripped wide open from her ear and neck, down to her shoulder by a pitbull. With that said, 95% of the pitbulls I have come across have been great dogs. I personally believe that the males are less likely to be violent but that goes for any breed of dog I've been around. Good luck OP.

And a picture of her and my brother's 3 month old boxer.
The Okie Corral

Last edited by Maine; 03-18-2013 at 23:27..
Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:48   #270
nursetim

Did anybody catch the video of Cesar "the dog whisper" Milan, get bit by a blonde lab?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:15   #271
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
Did anybody catch the video of Cesar "the dog whisper" Milan, get bit by a blonde lab?
That guy is a real dork. One of the most irritating people I've ever seen on TV. I could not respect the dog that would NOT bite him.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:01   #272
boomhower

Find a new girl. This is a deal breaker for the both of you. Either you live separated until the dog dies or you split up. If she gets rid of the dog she will resent you and it will in the end cause the breakup. Do it now before child support and alimony are involved.

I deal with pits on daily basis. The vast vast majority need to be put down. But it's all in how they are raised. These are raised by thugs for fighting. I would have zero problems owning a pit bull with my kids. But the caveat would be I get him as a puppy and raise him. No way you could get me to own a rescue pitt.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:43   #273
LovinGlocks

I like Pitbulls...and cheerleaders for that matter! I'll take her off your hands bro. Dog too.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:51   #274
rahrah12

Break up - you hate pit bulls (which is fine) and you can't expect her to get rid of her dog. Unless the dog is on it's last leg then break up.
rahrah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:34   #275
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Find a new girl. This is a deal breaker for the both of you. Either you live separated until the dog dies or you split up. If she gets rid of the dog she will resent you and it will in the end cause the breakup. Do it now before child support and alimony are involved.

I deal with pits on daily basis. The vast vast majority need to be put down. But it's all in how they are raised. These are raised by thugs for fighting. I would have zero problems owning a pit bull with my kids. But the caveat would be I get him as a puppy and raise him. No way you could get me to own a rescue pitt.
What do you do that you deal with them daily? The 2 Pit TV shows on AP adopt out adult rescue pits all the time. I believe they adopted out all except 2 of the fighting dogs that POS NFL guy had.
I do agree with you, they should break up though.