Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:41   #101
kmrcstintn

DHS ammo buy: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphben...-conversation/

the VAST MAJORITY of news reports state 1.6 billion, therefore I posted that in my response

MRAPs: http://www.examiner.com/article/repo...r-domestic-use

in other news reports I have read the figure to be exactly 2717 that are being retrofitted by the U.S. Army prior to being delivered to DHS; hence I wrote 2700 MRAPs in my response

again I state that 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition for a NON-MILITARY component of the government, 2700 + heavily armored vehicles for use on DOMESTIC soil, newly formed DHS rapid response teams, and contracts for 7000 + new automatic weapons** can make a sensible person stop and take pause...

** 7000 automatic weapons: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...t-weapons-per/
kmrcstintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44   #102
SCmasterblaster

I think that we have 1.6 billion replies here . . . . .
Old 04-09-2013, 11:39   #103
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Exactly How Many Rounds is 1.6 Billion?

1,599,999,999 +1

Old 04-09-2013, 13:32   #104
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrcstintn View Post
DHS ammo buy: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphben...-conversation/

the VAST MAJORITY of news reports state 1.6 billion, therefore I posted that in my response

MRAPs: http://www.examiner.com/article/repo...r-domestic-use

in other news reports I have read the figure to be exactly 2717 that are being retrofitted by the U.S. Army prior to being delivered to DHS; hence I wrote 2700 MRAPs in my response

again I state that 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition for a NON-MILITARY component of the government, 2700 + heavily armored vehicles for use on DOMESTIC soil, newly formed DHS rapid response teams, and contracts for 7000 + new automatic weapons** can make a sensible person stop and take pause...

** 7000 automatic weapons: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...t-weapons-per/

You might consider that no matter how many times that old blog article is recycled and "updated" (3/13 in the updated link), and may be used as a "source" by a news media writer, it still doesn't make it any more accurate than when it first appeared.

Reading through the update/revision, it seems the writer is relying on mistrust of "official" gov statements to discount the DHS response of having accepted and deployed 16 of the vehicles.

I'd not be surprised if they took more of the retrofitted & recycled vehicles, though, as they could certainly be useful for some specialized uses, and the price is certainly right. I'd also expect them to eventually create a program where the obtained recycled equipment could be indefinitely loaned out to state & local LE agencies (much like some other recycled military equipment). A prudent, reasonable & effective use of tax dollars.

The actual (and reasonable) procurement announcements of the ammunition and 5.56 weapons have been explained enough times, as well.

I used to entertain myself by attending annual "conferences" where "former" government employees (military & fed LE) made money lecturing to the faithful about hidden conspiracies (and selling books, videos, etc at the vendor tables between lectures ).

Naturally, there were other non-former gov folks also "teaching" & lecturing at these weekend events. I couldn't resist the enjoyment of deciding at the last minute to stop by and listen to David Icke at one such "conference", marveling at the looks of eagerness, intensity and even rapturous concentration exhibited by many folks in the audience.

Entertaining ... but also not a little disquieting to see the huge numbers of folks who gave every indication of being serious followers of many of the well known names/experts. Most of these followers seemed entirely willing to overlook huge mistakes of fact, contradictions and glaring discrepancies offered up to them, while happily sitting in the audiences, listening to their favorite "experts" and "former gov employees" telling them exactly what they wanted to hear ... for a price, of course.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:58   #105
SCmasterblaster

I vote for this thread to be closed.
Old 04-10-2013, 13:30   #106
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
It's certainly curious, but if they're buyin' all the 9MM and .40,
that doesn't account for the shortage in all other calibers.
Sure it does. The resources, brass, copper, lead,etc..as well as the machine and labor time, needed to produce 'all other calibers' are being consumed by the production of 1.6B 9mm and .40