SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:29   #76
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigab1te View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but... are those office windows looking into a parking garage? I'd hate to have that office...
If I had to guess, that's likely where the stairs and/or elevator is located in that garage.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:54   #77
Spiffums
I.C.P.

You all may as well go around ripping off Obama stickers off cars.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:56   #78
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
You all may as well go around ripping off Obama stickers off cars.

Vandalism, and ignoring a sign with no weight of law, are completely different.

While I'm not saying either is right, thats like trying to equate j-walking and murder.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 13:15   #79
gigab1te

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
If I had to guess, that's likely where the stairs and/or elevator is located in that garage.
That's what I thought, but it looks like the windows have venetian blinds, sorta like an office would have...
gigab1te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 13:28   #80
RimfireMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6112 View Post
That's not just being stupid, it's intentional, so he got some intentional treatment back when the wind accidently blew my foot into his door about 10 times.
Wow, sounds like some serious anger management issues. You and some of the other posters in this thread seem to be wound a bit too tight.

Last edited by RimfireMan; 03-15-2013 at 13:29..
RimfireMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 14:13   #81
fireguy129
NRA Member 2008

The Okie Corral

that's my pathfinder.....

the car wasn't there when I went in......
fireguy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 14:19   #82
SixDemonBag

Quote:
Why don't you just complete the stereotype/cliche that anti-gun crowds want and get into a gun-fight in the parking lot!
You know at least one beer bellied yahoo on here has considered this as a escalation and imagined himself tactically moving from shopping cart to car cover while engaging the tango.
SixDemonBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 14:21   #83
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixDemonBag View Post
You know at least one beer bellied yahoo on here has considered this as a escalation and imagined himself tactically moving from shopping cart to car cover while engaging the tango.
And bladed! Don't forget to blade!
Old 03-15-2013, 14:38   #84
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaxit View Post
The Okie Corral
Please explain to me what is wrong with parking like this.

Far corner of the lot, no one else around, not taking a space from anyone, not blocking anyone. Just trying to keep a car free From dents and scratches.
Old 03-15-2013, 14:41   #85
oceanwarrior

Not to hijack this thread,but does anybody else on GT own a Magnetic car?

You know, the kind of car you purposely park far away and alone to keep it from being dinged up but somebody will always park right next to you even though there are many open spaces around you?
It's like the car has a huge magnet in it that pulls cars next to it.

Bought the wife a nice BMW 335d and parked it far away and alone in the local Safeway parking lot only to return and find a ratty white neon parked next to it AND a nice white door scuff in my Black paint.

MF owner of the Neon told me "It's your fault for owning a BMW".

Real nice guy.

oceanwarrior
oceanwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 14:44   #86
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Please explain to me what is wrong with parking like this.

Far corner of the lot, no one else around, not taking a space from anyone, not blocking anyone. Just trying to keep a car free From dents and scratches.
Not enough context to make that conclusion. I've seen small businesses that only have a handful of parking spots. If you've got, say, 6 or 7 slots and this guy takes up two........see the problem?

Now, if that's at the far, BFE end of a Walmart parking lot, you're absolutely right, but there's no way to know if that's the case here.
Old 03-15-2013, 14:46   #87
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanwarrior View Post

You know, the kind of car you purposely park far away and alone to keep it from being dinged up but somebody will always park right next to you even though there are many open spaces around you?
I have two. Porsche 911 and a 1966 Mustang. I park at the end of the lot away from other people and some toads just love to park so close I can't get in the door.

One guy did it intentionally. Made me climb in the passenger side. Way out in the end of the lot and no one else around. I left him with out valves in the stems.
Old 03-15-2013, 14:50   #88
WarCry

Quote:

Bought the wife a nice BMW 335d and parked it far away and alone in the local Safeway parking lot only to return and find a ratty white neon parked next to it AND a nice white door scuff in my Black paint.

Real nice guy.

oceanwarrior
Did you take any actions? If you had enough time to talk to them, the there was enough time to take down the tag number before the owner returned, and then to get their insurance information. Doesn't sound like they were disputing that they did it.
(unless it was just a minor scuff that wiped off. Then I probably wouldn't bother...)
Old 03-15-2013, 14:52   #89
Batesmotel

Quote:
Not enough context to make that conclusion. I've seen small businesses that only have a handful of parking spots. If you've got, say, 6 or 7 slots and this guy takes up two........see the problem?

Now, if that's at the far, BFE end of a Walmart parking lot, you're absolutely right, but there's no way to know if that's the case here.
I agree with a small lot. Even a medium size say up to 50 stalls. I was a small business owner also with some tight parking. But why do guys park close, kick, key and even paint or sharpie cars parked like this if they are in a hugh lot away from everyone else.

I think it is just jealousy. They can't stand seeing a car that costs more than their house, if they even own a house.
Old 03-15-2013, 15:11   #90
WarCry

Quote:
I agree with a small lot. Even a medium size say up to 50 stalls. I was a small business owner also with some tight parking. But why do guys park close, kick, key and even paint or sharpie cars parked like this if they are in a hugh lot away from everyone else.

I think it is just jealousy. They can't stand seeing a car that costs more than their house, if they even own a house.
What you see in that photo, and the story I told earlier about sticking a note to a windshield, is about the extent I would ever do to any car, for any reason as just a private citizen.

I don't drive a "nice" enough car (it's plenty nice to me!) to worry about it, but some of the folks in this thread, I really hope they don't live anywhere near me, because all this talk about keying and drillbits, super glue in the locks, and wind "accidentally" slamming a door into another car 10 times.....that's all just petty, immature, and illegal crap. Anyone advocating - or worse, actually DOING it - I hope they get caught and nailed to the wall. It's just stupid.
Old 03-15-2013, 15:25   #91
Batesmotel

Quote:
I hope they get caught and nailed to the wall. It's just stupid.
I am a member of the Porsche club of America. I also ride with some other clubs from time to time. What we have found is that cops won't do a damn thing about it in a private paring lot. They feel that vandalism against a high end car just comes with owning a nice car.

"You should really just drive a different car to the store"
"you should try to not upset people"
"It looks like you can afford good insurance"

One guy had two drivers block in his Porsche with less than one inch on either side. Cop didn't do a thing. After he left the owner took out both of the other cars windshields with a golf club. The other drivers came running out of the restaurant they were sitting in. They watched the whole thing. The cops were now interested. The courts refused to prosecute the porsche driver.
Old 03-15-2013, 15:26   #92
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

We have a grocery store here that has several spots marked with signs that say Parking For High MPG Vehicles Only. I always park my big ol GMC 1500 in one of those spots. The other day, some hipster dipstick questioned me. I told him my truck ran on tomato juice. He looked at me like he was going to kiss me.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003

Last edited by GLWyandotte; 03-15-2013 at 16:52..
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 15:46   #93
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWyandotte View Post
High Mileage Vehicles Only
Sounds like they want to keep the oil spots in one area.
Old 03-15-2013, 16:16   #94
JMS

Quote:
Sounds like they want to keep the oil spots in one area.
I thought the same thing initially, but I think he meant high MPG vehicles.

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 16:51   #95
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
Indeed, good catch.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 17:03   #96
Rabid Rabbit

Quote:

Real nice guy.

oceanwarrior
Yeah I call it a F350 dualey. I park way in the hinterlands of the parking lot and when I get back I have a couple prius, and other assorted econo-boxes parked around me. It is so bad that I have to make sure some obstacle is on my drivers side door so they don't park so close I can't get it. Either it is a herd instinct to herd around the alpha male/female if my wife is driving or they want to tick us off. Sometimes its all I can do to not hook a tow strap to the car and go four wheeling across the parking lot.

Last edited by Rabid Rabbit; 03-15-2013 at 17:04..
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 17:10   #97
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
Figured that.
Old 03-15-2013, 17:11   #98
Roger1079

Add me into the neutral column. As long as I am within or on the lines I could care less whether the spot has compact on the parking stump or not. I drive an Escalade so I am basically the width of a full size truck. If I am in the next spot, I will move. If I am simply sitting on the lines partially my truck will stay where it is. If I am overlapping into the spot next to me I am moving, period. Nobody else should be shorted a spot because I parked like a ******. That is the way I see it at least.

I stopped giving a crap about door dings a long time ago (my truck is a 2007) and if I am close and you are a dick that dings my door, oh well. I chock it up to the risk of driving my car daily and move on. Maybe that will change when I buy something new, but for now it is what it is. And by the way, I don't care how small the spot is, there is no reason for a Malibu to park like that......EVER!
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 17:23   #99
oceanwarrior

Quote:
Did you take any actions? If you had enough time to talk to them, the there was enough time to take down the tag number before the owner returned, and then to get their insurance information. Doesn't sound like they were disputing that they did it.
(unless it was just a minor scuff that wiped off. Then I probably wouldn't bother...)
Warcry,it's like Batesmotel has written,it's a private parking lot so the Police really can't do much.
And the cop told me bluntly that "It's the cost of owning an expensive car"
The Neon owner came back to his car to deposit his groceries,blew me off and walked away.
Then I got rebuffed by the cop so I was out of luck.
I paid a good detailer to buff out the scuff mark and there was no dent.

oceanwarrior

P.S. I wonder how a Neon runs with it's exhaust pipe crimped shut.
oceanwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 17:29   #100
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
I understand your point. But the people who don't park between the lines, regardless of the size of their cars, are most irksome.

A lot of those compact spaces may be too small. I wonder how many theoretical extra cars they allow in a garage?

Ordinances vary by locale, but in Pueblo Colorado, for example, the minimum dimension for compact car off street parking spaces is 102 inches wide and 192 inches long. Now a compact Toyota Corolla is 69.4 inches wide and 180 inches long, but my "mid-size Sonata is 190 inches long and 70.7 inches wide, so it would fit just as easily as the Corolla. The width difference is inconsequential and the length shouldn't be an issue. Malibu is a bit bigger at 191.5 inches long and 73 inches wide, but still should fit a "normal" compact space without much problem.
It's sad that the government needs to mandate a "compact" spot size. I get why, but still sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigab1te View Post
That's what I thought, but it looks like the windows have venetian blinds, sorta like an office would have...
Shouldn't they be Genevian blinds? Or Skokiite blinds?

Quote:

Real nice guy.

oceanwarrior
Oh yeah. I have owned several magnetic cars.

Tags
first world problems