Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:34   #51
M&P15T
Beard One

I guessing the owner of the car in question wants to not have a bunch of door dings/dents/scratches.

But if the car owner in question could park elsewhere, away from everybody, but chooses to park where they do......well, that's a dick move.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:57   #52
harlenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin303 View Post
Cordless drill with a 1/8" bit works great. Toothpicks in the door locks work too.
Because people still use keys to open up their car door?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
harlenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:27   #53
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin303 View Post
Cordless drill with a 1/8" bit works great. Toothpicks in the door locks work too.
Because serious property damage/vandalism is an appropriate way to handle someone parking in a way you disagree with?

Why don't you just complete the stereotype/cliche that anti-gun crowds want and get into a gun-fight in the parking lot! That's what those who fear CCW say will happen, right? Fights on the interstate and shoot-outs over parking spots?

If I was really that bothered, I think my first step would be to let the property owner know what's going on and let THEM decide what to do on their own property....

But that's just a wild, hair-brained scheme that I've come up with on the fly.....
Old 03-15-2013, 08:30   #54
223Carbine

OK, we'll didn't mean to start a big storm here and for those of you that posted valid reasons for actually having compact parking spaces... Thank you. I am referring to a specific parking lot that I used to park in that was restriped to allow more cars to park there. The owner of the restaurant told me this. I object to that because even if you own a compact car it is still difficult to get in and out of your car. In the lot I used to use there was nowhere else to park except for a lot quite far away. If you're just going to be a few minutes somewhere it is a pain to have to walk a long distance because your not in the correct vehicle. As far as you folks that have said you would key a car because someone parked in a compact space... Are you kidding me? That seems excessive, the punishment does not fit the crime. To tell the truth, I avoid businesses with those smaller spaces, I just don't want to deal with it.
223Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:48   #55
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer11 View Post
The car to the left is doing no better,,,it is crowded over forcing the car is question to take up the other spot.
Exactly what I was thinking. The car to the left is the one causing the problem. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:33   #56
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

People say "It's the property owner's prerogative to make all those compact car parking spaces" but that's not true if it is done due to a government mandate, which I suspect is the real reason for that many.

Not that I care. I always park in the boonies anyway. Hasn't kept my vehicle from getting dinged up though. A few months ago at the golf course I'm about to tee off the first hole when one of my golf buddies says "Um, I should probably tell you that I parked next to you and when I got out a gust of wind grabbed my door and it slammed into your car and made a dent."

"Uh....Really?"

"Yes, really. Sorry. I'll pay for it."

"I parked all the way in the back of the parking lot, by myself, and you parked next to me and then let your door hit my car?"

"Yes."

mutha ****!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53   #57
droidfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy infidel View Post
What gets me is the prima-donna queens who park in the fire lane at the grocery store, usually right across the crosswalk.
Snap a picture with your cell phone. The website for your municipality should have a submission link for your fire marshall and/or code enforcement.

It will only take two, maybe three pictures at most before the grocery store becomes very, very compliant with preventing people from parking there.

Funny thing about those guys, they show up for one code violation, and then end up having to shut the store down for the various other infractions they find on the way inside to talk to management.

Preference to the fire marshall over general code enforcement, if you really want to hit it home.
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54   #58
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Some garages I've been in, the compact is almost more for length than width. There would be NO room, even with a larger space, to get my truck in and out easily. I'd be like Austin Powers on the golf cart. LOL

Honestly - I just drive to the roof every single time. Well, almost every time - if it's mostly empty OR if I'm at the airport, I look for a decent spot. Otherwise, roofbound, I am! Plenty of room - no d-bags.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:01   #59
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed View Post
I'm lucky to find a place to park anywhere!

The Okie Corral
Compensating much?
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:04   #60
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer11 View Post
The car to the left is doing no better,,,it is crowded over forcing the car is question to take up the other spot.
It may start with the car next to him though.

Parked in a lot one day with someone parked inches from my door, no way I could get in. Could barely walk between the cars. I simply "walked up" the other car and climbed into my window. No damage, but I'm certain the idiot parking would not have appreciated it had he/she seen me. They were parked next to an open area for walking into the park (no barrier either), so it's not like they couldn't have left room.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:06   #61
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
Snap a picture with your cell phone. The website for your municipality should have a submission link for your fire marshall and/or code enforcement.

It will only take two, maybe three pictures at most before the grocery store becomes very, very compliant with preventing people from parking there.

Funny thing about those guys, they show up for one code violation, and then end up having to shut the store down for the various other infractions they find on the way inside to talk to management.

Preference to the fire marshall over general code enforcement, if you really want to hit it home.
I'm pretty certain we don't have a place for user submissions on my city's website. Interesting though.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:10   #62
gjk5
Pinche Gringo

I obey the parking rules, people who park like a-holes are.....you guessed it: a-holes.

I also respect a businesses right to designate who parks where, if they say it's for the employee of the month, what kind of a-hole parks there anyway? (well, now we know at least ONE KIND)

it's really not that hard.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:12   #63
TX OMFS
Right wing nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Squeeze some super glue in the locks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
Because people still use keys to open up their car door?
Beat me to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5 View Post
I obey the parking rules, people who park like a-holes are.....you guessed it: a-holes.

I also respect a businesses right to designate who parks where, if they say it's for the employee of the month, what kind of a-hole parks there anyway? (well, now we know at least ONE KIND)

it's really not that hard.
Yep
Old 03-15-2013, 10:16   #64
droidfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
I'm pretty certain we don't have a place for user submissions on my city's website. Interesting though.
Well, as they say, 'it rolls downhill' - hit up your state website, they probably have something there. State license & inspections will make sure the local boys get the message.
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:16   #65
RCP

Taken from the drivers seat of my crew cab Silverado

The Okie Corral
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:35   #66
mustang6112
Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
I understand that, and in AK, the only place that does it, is the BX/PX/Commissary. In that parking lot, they can't tow me at all, so I'll park anywhere I please, except the handicapped, and designated parking for GO/SGM/COL spots and the expectant mother parking spots.

I'm certainly not parking an extra 200+ feet down the line, because I'm driving my pickup, and not my TDI econobox.
Until someone calls base security on you... just sayin.

"Im a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. The sheep hate the sheepdog. He looks like the wolf and has a capacity for violence.
mustang6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:41   #67
mustang6112
Watching

Quote:
It's funny how the wind always blows my door open when that happens, must be how it gets funneled through that tight space between the cars.

When there are plenty of spaces around, and out in no mans land in the lot, it's definitely a good idea to leave an empty space between the vehicles.

That wind gets up to speed over all that empty space, then gets some force behind it when channeled through a tight space, like between two cars.

I usually (read:always) end up having to open both my front and back doors on that side, too. Must just be dumb luck.
I dont' really get too upset about the compact car spots. However, when I purposely park the extra 200+ feet away from other cars so that I can keep my vehicle ding free, and then some ****stick parks right next to me... well lets just say I have clicked of safe a couple times. Once I had a guy park so close to me that I could not open the drivers door and had to go in through the passenger side. That's not just being stupid, it's intentional, so he got some intentional treatment back when the wind accidently blew my foot into his door about 10 times.

"Im a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. The sheep hate the sheepdog. He looks like the wolf and has a capacity for violence.

Last edited by mustang6112; 03-15-2013 at 10:42..
Old 03-15-2013, 11:19   #68
johnd

Send a message via ICQ to johnd
I must confess that some years ago when the kids were in little league I went to the field late only to find there was no more parking. The parking option was more than a mile away out of the park. Then I spotted it...a porsche parked at 45 across 2 places. Someone is behind him so straight in that he couldnt get out without some maneuvre room, which he has. ( or thought he had)
So I pulled my ratmobile ( I prefer to drive beaters) alongside so close you couldnt put a postcard between the bodies/ his drivers side door and my passenger side door...and went to the game.

When it was over I got back just in time to see the porsche driver throwing a real crapfit...red face, veins bulging out, poppy eyes, the whole thing.

I got in my car and he yelled even louder at me so I pulled back in and got back out and said to the kids " lets go throw some balls until he calms down" and away we went.
We see another car about 2 down leave.
Numnuts decides he can get out by driving forwards and go around and then out the other side. He worms his way into his car and crawls over the stick shift and finally gets in the seat with all kinds of legs and arms sticking up and out and starts the engine and puts it in gear....plop. Right into the deep mud spot in front. To the hubcaps. Thats why the grass was so green there.
We leave. Kids are waving to him.

Hey, see these people everyday, they are the same people who get $2 in gas and leave their cars at the pump while they go inside to get a fattysoda and smokes and chat up the clerk.
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:19   #69
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
I drive to work on average maybe ~2x per week. Sometimes I take the train, sometimes I work from home, sometimes I don't go into the office because I'm on the road at a client.

When I do drive to work, I always park at the same parking garage, so I've been seeing the same cars for a couple of years now. The garage is 10 stories and is never ever full, but the spaces near the elevator on the low floors do fill up fairly quickly.

Half of those spaces are "compact car" spaces. Every day, they're full (2 cars per 3 spaces on average, since they don't fit) of Honda Pilots, Jeep Grand Cherokees, minivans, full-size sedans like Tauruses--everything but cars that actually fit between the lines. These are pretty small spaces, even a large-ish domestic sedan like a Chevy Malibu doesn't really fit.

I've seen this guy double parked somewhere every time I have gone into the garage. One of these days I'm gonna set his car on fire.
I understand your point. But the people who don't park between the lines, regardless of the size of their cars, are most irksome.

A lot of those compact spaces may be too small. I wonder how many theoretical extra cars they allow in a garage?

Ordinances vary by locale, but in Pueblo Colorado, for example, the minimum dimension for compact car off street parking spaces is 102 inches wide and 192 inches long. Now a compact Toyota Corolla is 69.4 inches wide and 180 inches long, but my "mid-size Sonata is 190 inches long and 70.7 inches wide, so it would fit just as easily as the Corolla. The width difference is inconsequential and the length shouldn't be an issue. Malibu is a bit bigger at 191.5 inches long and 73 inches wide, but still should fit a "normal" compact space without much problem.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:02   #70
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
It's funny how the wind always blows my door open when that happens, must be how it gets funneled through that tight space between the cars.

When there are plenty of spaces around, and out in no mans land in the lot, it's definitely a good idea to leave an empty space between the vehicles.

That wind gets up to speed over all that empty space, then gets some force behind it when channeled through a tight space, like between two cars.

I usually (read:always) end up having to open both my front and back doors on that side, too. Must just be dumb luck.
Do folks really do stuff they talk about on web? Are they that immature? Is committing vandelism/property damage,etc something they do without a care? (and do they do this when carrying a firearm?)
What better example can you find of folks who should NOT be allowed to carry a weapon???
They feel the slightes bit "offended" and the FIRST response (they are proud to say" is a criminal action..

READ what you are posting. Road RAge much?

Maybe I am strange. Friend of my wife thinks so . I laugh at idiots on road, parking. She is used to her Ex who would swear, yell, honk horn, carry on.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:05   #71
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

I've got enough to worry about without worrying about people who are selfish or idiotic. OTOH, whenever I see a vehicle with a scrotum hanging from the rear, I just want so bad to paint it blue.............

Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:06   #72
TX OMFS
Right wing nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
Is committing vandelism/property damage,etc something they do without a care?
Committing those crimes at night in Texas is legal grounds for deadly force. I have personally decided to never shoot anyone over property, but I'm just sayin'...
Old 03-15-2013, 12:11   #73
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6112 View Post
Until someone calls base security on you... just sayin.

Our SF/MP det does not have a tow truck. They have to call from off post to get a contract vehicle if there is a vehicle disabling accident.

In 28 years in AK, and driving in around and on post, I've NEVER seen a ticket or vehicle towed for a parking infraction.

Infact, I don't even think they could issue you a ticket without you being there, as they have no way of knowing who's vehicle it is.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15   #74
gigab1te

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
The Okie Corral
Not to hijack this thread, but... are those office windows looking into a parking garage? I'd hate to have that office...
gigab1te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:15   #75
mustang6112
Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Our SF/MP det does not have a tow truck. They have to call from off post to get a contract vehicle if there is a vehicle disabling accident.

In 28 years in AK, and driving in around and on post, I've NEVER seen a ticket or vehicle towed for a parking infraction.

Infact, I don't even think they could issue you a ticket without you being there, as they have no way of knowing who's vehicle it is.
Must be the cold weather making them lazy cause down here they will ticket AND boot you in a heartbeat. 1st ticket you get to see the MAN, 2nd ticket your base driving privileges are suspended for a period of time. Third you may loose them for good.

Tags
first world problems