Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-14-2013, 20:59   #1
devildog2067

Don't park in a "compact car" space if you don't drive a compact car

I drive to work on average maybe ~2x per week. Sometimes I take the train, sometimes I work from home, sometimes I don't go into the office because I'm on the road at a client.

When I do drive to work, I always park at the same parking garage, so I've been seeing the same cars for a couple of years now. The garage is 10 stories and is never ever full, but the spaces near the elevator on the low floors do fill up fairly quickly.

Half of those spaces are "compact car" spaces. Every day, they're full (2 cars per 3 spaces on average, since they don't fit) of Honda Pilots, Jeep Grand Cherokees, minivans, full-size sedans like Tauruses--everything but cars that actually fit between the lines. These are pretty small spaces, even a large-ish domestic sedan like a Chevy Malibu doesn't really fit.

I've seen this guy double parked somewhere every time I have gone into the garage. One of these days I'm gonna set his car on fire.

The Okie Corral
devildog2067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 21:03   #2
crimsonaudio
15 or 30?

Purchase and stick: http://www.threadless.com/product/18..._Like_an_Idiot
Old 03-14-2013, 21:05   #3
M2 Carbine

And people like that wonder why their car gets "keyed".
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 21:11   #4
BEER
bad example

what cracks me up is i've started seeing these "compact car" spaces 1)right up front at hardware stores like lowes and home depot, 2) in Texas no less.

i've got to haul out a cart with 3 sheets of plywood and 4 25 pound bags of qwikcrete but i've got to go further that some compact car driver carrying a single gallon of paint or a pack of drawer pulls? wtf?

Texas is predominantly a truck state. i never expected this whole compact car space thing to happen here anywhere other than in front of starbucks or whole foods.
Old 03-14-2013, 21:15   #5
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Cordless drill with a 1/8" bit works great. Toothpicks in the door locks work too.
Old 03-14-2013, 21:25   #6
JMS

The Okie Corral
The last time I saw someone parked like this, I parked to the left of him, right on the line. He tried backing out, it took him about 5 minutes of backing up, pulling up, backing up, pulling up to maneuver his way out of the spot. Thank goodness my windows were tinted, I was laughing so much.

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 21:29   #7
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post

He could also print off this one. This might be more appropriate as DD can check off several boxes....

http://www.youparklikean*******.com/files/notice_1.pdf

edit: ugh...retarded bad word filter.... replace the real word for "butthole" in the spot with the stars....

Last edited by Altaris; 03-14-2013 at 21:31..
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 21:33   #8
jame
mange takk

I have been known to pull up real tight to the drivers side, so our mirrors just miss by "this" much, and park it. And leave it.

After a few days of that crap, I'll bet the errant driver will find someplace else to stink up.
jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 21:54   #9
RenoF250

I generally park out a ways so there is no one parked near my car but some parking lots are 80% compact spots and almost no one around here has a compact. They are also wasting a ton of space on the EV spots in some locations.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 21:54   #10
686Owner
NRA Life Member

The Okie Corral
Old 03-14-2013, 21:58   #11
douggmc

I take special joy in parking in specially "designated" spots (not handicapped) like that.

Particularly like the ones marked "employee of the month" at Best Buy. Excuse me? Who is the customer? The employees can park out in BFE spaces and walk.

Another favorite parking spot of mine is at my local shopping mall where there are like 10 spots right up front marked "family parking" with stupid little signs of a minivan with stick figures of a mom getting her children out.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
douggmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 22:03   #12
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Why did you black out his plate? If it's a public place, in sight over everybody, I don't think he has any expectation of privacy to that extent. Plus, somebody might recognize it and give him flack too.
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 22:05   #13
droidfire

Were it my garage, there would be a lot of tow truck traffic.

Failure to post consequences for breaking the rules, and then follow through in enforcing them leads to people not respecting the establishment.

Park in the lines, or go pick up your car from a lot with no lines.
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 22:07   #14

I drive a '70s full sized truck w/paint issues, I park in those all the time - it fits between the lines... barely.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 22:08   #15
HollowHead
Firm member

I park my motorcycle in regular spaces. It really pisses off the bubbas around here who want me to park on the sidewalk so the they can park the phallic -250s in the spaces for "real" vehicles. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 22:09   #16
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
I drive to work on average maybe ~2x per week. Sometimes I take the train, sometimes I work from home, sometimes I don't go into the office because I'm on the road at a client.

When I do drive to work, I always park at the same parking garage, so I've been seeing the same cars for a couple of years now. The garage is 10 stories and is never ever full, but the spaces near the elevator on the low floors do fill up fairly quickly.

Half of those spaces are "compact car" spaces. Every day, they're full (2 cars per 3 spaces on average, since they don't fit) of Honda Pilots, Jeep Grand Cherokees, minivans, full-size sedans like Tauruses--everything but cars that actually fit between the lines. These are pretty small spaces, even a large-ish domestic sedan like a Chevy Malibu doesn't really fit.

I've seen this guy double parked somewhere every time I have gone into the garage. One of these days I'm gonna set his car on fire.

The Okie Corral
Why wait?

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 22:12   #17
jame
mange takk

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggmc View Post

Another favorite parking spot of mine is at my local shopping mall where there are like 10 spots right up front marked "family parking" with stupid little signs of a minivan with stick figures of a mom getting her children out.
I leave those alone. My wife and I had 3 kids under 5 years old many years ago, and getting that kind of baggage through a mall parking lot can be a real heart stopper. This one is truly for the young moms out there, and having been through it, I have to respect the hassle and worry of a young parent.

Last edited by jame; 03-14-2013 at 22:13..
jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 22:19   #18
droidfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
I drive a '70s full sized truck w/paint issues, I park in those all the time - it fits between the lines... barely.
On that note, were it my garage, I would respect the fact that you were following the rules I care about.

Far as i'm concerned, the compact car designation is a suggestion, and letting the motorist know the space is smaller.

If you can fit, it's yours.

Bear in mind, though, choosing to park a larger vehicle into a smaller space that is designated as such, the rubber better be inside the paint on the floor or it's gone.

(hypothetical, as I don't own a garage, but i've towed enough out to have put some thought into how i'd work it.)
Old 03-14-2013, 22:19   #19
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post

The Okie Corral

Those "compact" spots are BS. Just like the family, or my very, VERY favorite of the BS parking spaces.

The "Hybrid/fuel efficient vehicle" spaces that are now becoming popular. Especially at the PX.

I take a deranged pleasure in parking my extended cab 2500 diesel truck in them. And leaving it running in the winter while I shop.

Plus, they are ALWAYS in the preferred parking locations. I get why the handicapped get better parking than the rest of us, but I'll be damned if I'm going to park further out than some soccer mom just because I haven't popped out a couple of mouth breathers, or because I drive a vehicle that can actually haul the stuff I own and didn't drive the econo-box to the wholesale store.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"

Last edited by AK_Stick; 03-14-2013 at 22:25..
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 22:21   #20
223Carbine

Well howdy from Texas. This is my first post here, but I do want to say that I think those compact car spaces are BS. Why would anyone redesignate spaces as compact. A good many people drive larger cars or trucks. Are they not good citizens/customers too? I view them as another BS attempt by the political left to get us all to drive small cars. It is an attempt to manipulate people. I say BS to the whole thing and just take 2 of the puny spaces. You guys might want to rethink this a bit. All the best...
223Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 22:37   #21
droidfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Carbine View Post
You guys might want to rethink this a bit. All the best...
Unless there is legislation dictating the need for compact spaces, it's simply a private property issue.

Either you respect the wishes of the property owner in your use of it, or not.
Old 03-14-2013, 22:45   #22
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

No love for a Grand Cherokee but a regular Jeep Cherokee (XJ) is similar in width to a compact car, and even shorter in length. You can't see over my roof but you can fully open your door when I park next to you. What a weird vehicle.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 23:13   #23
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223Carbine View Post
Well howdy from Texas. This is my first post here, but I do want to say that I think those compact car spaces are BS. Why would anyone redesignate spaces as compact. A good many people drive larger cars or trucks. Are they not good citizens/customers too? I view them as another BS attempt by the political left to get us all to drive small cars. It is an attempt to manipulate people. I say BS to the whole thing and just take 2 of the puny spaces. You guys might want to rethink this a bit. All the best...
Sometimes there are REASONS for "COMPACT car parking only" area. Its often on a corner of parking garage, where wall sticks in slightly,etc. Places a crew cab, long bed pickup would stick halfway into lane. BUT a sub 18' compact would fit.
I do agree you should stay between the lines. I really LOVE those places with double lines. Some drivers cheat so pass tires are on single line (guess so they can get out of drivers seat) with double lines its clear where YOUR area is, and where mine starts.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 23:18   #24
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

If thats your biggest concern or problem of the day, that's not bad!

If there was a sign in front of that car with cop parking or something nobody would have a problem! Lol.
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 23:28   #25
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Those "compact" spots are BS. Just like the family, or my very, VERY favorite of the BS parking spaces.

The "Hybrid/fuel efficient vehicle" spaces that are now becoming popular. Especially at the PX.

I take a deranged pleasure in parking my extended cab 2500 diesel truck in them. And leaving it running in the winter while I shop.

Plus, they are ALWAYS in the preferred parking locations. I get why the handicapped get better parking than the rest of us, but I'll be damned if I'm going to park further out than some soccer mom just because I haven't popped out a couple of mouth breathers, or because I drive a vehicle that can actually haul the stuff I own and didn't drive the econo-box to the wholesale store.
I'm not sure about the PX, but any other store, it's private property. They can set whatever parking restriction they like, and if your vehicle gets towed, that on you for disregarding the rights of that property owner.

Back many, many years ago, I worked for a small local business. We had probably a dozen parking spots (and had 5 employees), so every space was needed. There were signs that said parking was only for our shop, and that violators may be towed. We were right next door to the recruiters' offices.

I don't recall having anyone towed (the signs said "may") when they would park in our lot and go into the recruiters. Instead, what we did was take a 1/3rd sized sheet of paper with a message "politely" reminding them that they were parking in a private business lot. Then we would put that note on their windshield, facing inward, and secured with heavy-duty packing tape. It was NOT on the paint, just on the glass.

Private businesses have the right to post up any kind of limited parking they want. But I guess some folks just feel they're more important than silly "rules" and rights of property owners and they'll just do whatever the hell they want anyway.

Tags
first world problems