SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-13-2013, 14:36   #1
Goodrich
Like a Sir

G19 is shooting low Left

Took the 19 and 27 out today shot from about 6-7 yards the 19 was shooting low left the 27 was dead on. any idea's why ? i'm right handed, right eye dominate, was in isosceles. for both guns. 19 is stock except extended controls. Blue is point of Aim

General Glocking

Second one is the 27.
General Glocking
Goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 14:42   #2
BenjiEDF

Are you an experienced shooter? Because if not you could be torquing your pinky when you shoot the G19 your shots will always go low and left.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 14:45   #3
Goodrich
Like a Sir

I am a new shooter.
Old 03-13-2013, 14:49   #4
PaLEOjd

It's YOU, not the gun.....Keep practicing.
Old 03-13-2013, 14:52   #5
Goodrich
Like a Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaLEOjd View Post
It's YOU, not the gun.....Keep practicing.
I have no doubt it's me. just trying to get a general idea of what i'm doing wrong. love the 27 btw the snap is not nearly as bad as everyone describes it's actually enjoyable.
Old 03-13-2013, 14:54   #6
jlhenry

I hope this doesn't come of dickish

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
jlhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 14:57   #7
jlhenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhenry View Post
I hope this doesn't come of dickish

Sorry last post got interrupted but if the blue dot was your point of aim and you were hitting at the white circle 6 yards out you need trigger time and lots of it. Do a quick web search on glock low and left and you will find a wealth of information. Good luck and happy shooting we all start somewhere.

jlhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 14:57   #8
BenjiEDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodrich View Post
I am a new shooter.
Jerking the trigger and tightening your whole hand while you pull/jerk the trigger is bad and is common with newer shooters. Grab the frame tightly with your middle and ring finger, the pinky should not have a deathgrip. Slowly pull the trigger to the rear in a smooth motion.

You can do dry-fire training at home (obviously unloaded pistol, be safe). When the trigger breaks your sights will lurch in a certain direction. When you can dry fire and maintain the sight picture steady and solid as a rock you are ready to go back to the range. Every 10 shots or so at the range you will notice you are doing it again lol, anticipating recoil... be safe and enjoy your new hobby.

General Glocking

"Life is good" ~Hickok45

Last edited by BenjiEDF; 03-13-2013 at 15:01..
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 15:00   #9
Goodrich
Like a Sir

Thanks for the chart I thought I was squeezing the trigger slower but honestly I wasn't even thinking about trigger pull i was more concentrated on aim. perhaps i was jerking it instead of a slow squeeze i'll have to be concious of it next time and see if it still happens.
Old 03-13-2013, 17:13   #11
allegro

Some great vids for viewing. Thanks for posting

G23.3 Carry, G19.4, Advantage Arms .22 Conversion, Ruger P89, Ruger Security Six .357, M&P 15, Ithica Model 37, Winchester Model 24, Ruger 10/22
allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 18:10   #12
Inebriated

Quote:
Thanks for the chart I thought I was squeezing the trigger slower but honestly I wasn't even thinking about trigger pull i was more concentrated on aim. perhaps i was jerking it instead of a slow squeeze i'll have to be concious of it next time and see if it still happens.
I don't know your normal groups or anything, but the 19 group looks consistent with the 27 group. Have you had a more experienced shooter give it a try, or have you shot off a rest? I am inclined to say to check your sights, because your 19 group is about the same as your 27 group, just shifted way off from POA.

Also, dry fire every chance you get! Seriously, it's the best money you'll never spend. Dry fire practice is possibly the single most important thing a newer shooter can do to advance his/her skills. You'd be able to quickly get those groups in the orange with just a few minutes of practice each day.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 19:28   #13
Goodrich
Like a Sir

Nah i haven't had anyone else shoot it just me and I took my mother out to let her try the 19 so she could decide weather or not she wanted a 26. no bench rest either this is only my second time shooting both of them put 50 rounds though each this time and it was on a piece of property up in the sticks we own. Windy, snowing and not on the most even ground. which i'm not using as an excuse for my poor shooting haha. the 27 has some truglo tritium bright sights I installed myself and the 19 has the stock field goal sights, doubt that would have anything to do with it though. I just need more range time.
Old 03-13-2013, 19:32   #14
Inebriated

Quote:
Nah i haven't had anyone else shoot it just me and I took my mother out to let her try the 19 so she could decide weather or not she wanted a 26. no bench rest either this is only my second time shooting both of them put 50 rounds though each this time and it was on a piece of property up in the sticks we own. Windy, snowing and not on the most even ground. which i'm not using as an excuse for my poor shooting haha. the 27 has some truglo tritium bright sights I installed myself and the 19 has the stock field goal sights, doubt that would have anything to do with it though. I just need more range time.
We all need more range time.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 19:34   #15
Goodrich
Like a Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
We all need more range time.
haha i'm pretty happy with the group spacing now if i can just put them in the center.
Old 03-13-2013, 19:44   #16
ithaca_deerslayer

You are anticipating the recoil. The short grip shows it less. It is subconcious.

The cure is a surprise break. Pull the trigger so slow that you don't know when it will fire. Take 30 seconds to slowly and steadily pull the trigger straight back toward the rear sight while keeping the sights on target.

If you don't know when the gun will fire, your brain won't know when to flinch, thus your hands won't be suddenly moving in anticipation of the recoil at that split second before the BOOM.

Later you can speed the trigger up after you've learned the basics.

Old 03-13-2013, 19:52   #17
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
haha i'm pretty happy with the group spacing now if i can just put them in the center.
Click--> http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?u=135&page=2 and read at least the two articles about using the reset and trigger control.

Welcome to GlockTalk!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 20:45   #18
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
You are anticipating the recoil. The short grip shows it less. It is subconcious.

The cure is a surprise break. Pull the trigger so slow that you don't know when it will fire. Take 30 seconds to slowly and steadily pull the trigger straight back toward the rear sight while keeping the sights on target.

If you don't know when the gun will fire, your brain won't know when to flinch, thus your hands won't be suddenly moving in anticipation of the recoil at that split second before the BOOM.

Later you can speed the trigger up after you've learned the basics.
That's a very savvy reply! I suggest you think about it. Butch's blog article on trigger control is a, 'must read' too.

It will, quite possibly, save you a lot of ammunition if you get yourself out of a conventional Isosceles Stance, and switch to a, 'Reverse Chapman' stance, instead. 'Why'? Because a lot of your problem is being caused by excess tension along the tendons of your upper (gun hand) forearm.

This excess tension is working against you, and actually exaggerating your tendency to, 'jerk' the trigger as the sear breaks. When you do this put a little more downward bend in your strong wrist, too - Try this for awhile and I'm sure that you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 03-13-2013 at 20:47..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 21:34   #19
rvanpelt

Thanks for the chart, Benji and the videos, 4Rules. They'll be a great help for me teaching my wife correctly how to improve her (and my) shooting.
Rod
Old 03-14-2013, 02:00   #20
Goodrich
Like a Sir

Thank you for all the information guys i'll definitely study up and try to implement all of the info and tips.