Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-13-2013, 00:13   #1
dajcarroll

Bersa Thunder .380 Auto

I've kept my distance from the gun game for a while. With the government scare and Sandy Hook driving up prices I've quit buying guns and ammo. I still have my stock pile and plenty of guns. Last week, my terminally ill father gave me a couple of his guns... one being a Bersa Thunder .380. I have no use for it. It'll just sit in my safe. I'm thinking about selling it. It's not NIB, but probably has less than 50 rounds through it, and is in mint condition. It's satin nickel color. I know these aren't exactly expensive guns, but what should I expect to get out if this? I see some on gunbroker going for $375 used . Can I really expect that? Trade in value at a LGS or pawn shop? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
dajcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:49   #2
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Dont sell it, you will regret it later
Old 03-13-2013, 04:40   #3
Bob Hafler

Actually they are pretty nice little pistols. I had the exact one your talking about. In the Satin Finish they are a very nice looking pistol. Now as for price I'd say if you can get $250 to $280 your doing good. If I remember correctly I think I paid $319 for it a couple years back. I saw a used one in two tone in the GS a while back that appeared to be in good condition for a $175. I'd still have mine if someone didn't offer me a trade for it that I couldn't refuse.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:42   #4
redcat11

I agree with Glock19Fan, don't sell it you will regret it. I bought one six years ago from a buddy who needed quick money. Took it out shot it and found out how accurate it was for a little .380, reliable also. Buddy wanted it back I siad no, and latter I put a clip draw on it and wear this gun during the summer when I use tank tops, you can't tell I have it on, excellent conceal carry piece.
redcat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:03   #5
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat11 View Post
excellent conceal carry piece.
That they are. I carry my CZ 82 sometimes and that is similiar to the BT380 but shoots the slightly larger 9x18 Makrov 9mm round. Those straight blow back designed pistols are very accurate. I agree with the others I would not sell it unless you have absolutely no use for it at all. I do not do safe queens either. The only reason I got rid of mine was I bought a PM9 and that became my EDC. Which put the BT380 in the safe. Then a friend offered me $70 and a almost new in original box 1981 Marlin 336C for it. It was a no brainer of a deal. I did like it though and it was very reliable. My friend still has it.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:09   #6
Paxmo

Had one. Great little shooter. I would shoot it occasionally. Only traded mine to help pay for a p238. Keep it for the sentimental value.
Paxmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:05   #7
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
Dont sell it, you will regret it later
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxmo View Post
Had one. Great little shooter. I would shoot it occasionally. Only traded mine to help pay for a p238. Keep it for the sentimental value.
Both of these posters are absolutely correct - you will regret it if you get rid of it.

I have two of the 2-tone models. I paid $210 for one and $240 for the other (both NIB). You will NOT find a better pistol for the money! If you sell it, the most you will get is $250....and that is a bit much for a USED Bersa, no matter how reliable and accurate it is.

At a gun shop you will be lucky to get $150.

Do yourself a favor and keep it. Enjoy it and think about your dad every time you go to the range.

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12   #8
4 glocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajcarroll View Post
I've kept my distance from the gun game for a while. With the government scare and Sandy Hook driving up prices I've quit buying guns and ammo. I still have my stock pile and plenty of guns. Last week, my terminally ill father gave me a couple of his guns... one being a Bersa Thunder .380. I have no use for it. It'll just sit in my safe. I'm thinking about selling it. It's not NIB, but probably has less than 50 rounds through it, and is in mint condition. It's satin nickel color. I know these aren't exactly expensive guns, but what should I expect to get out if this? I see some on gunbroker going for $375 used . Can I really expect that? Trade in value at a LGS or pawn shop? Any help would be appreciated.

That's the worst place to sell anything. Gunbroker is most likely your best bet.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18   #9
dajcarroll

Well, apparently I need to keep this gun. I don't like getting rid of guns, but my thinking was I had no interest in the .380 round. I'll have to take it to the range and see what I think. I appreciate everyone's comments, especially those about sentimental value, however I also have his S&W Model 10 revolver and a Savage Model 24 .22LR/.410 over-under rifle. Those I'll shoot! I have plenty of sentimental value. Anybody carry a .380 or do most of ya'll use it for practice/fun?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:43   #10
Dr. Leaky
Know-It-All

My usual carry is a .380 (S&W Bodyguard). The Bersa is bigger and heavier but is also very accurate and sturdy. It's not the ideal round but it's acceptable and it's something I'll carry every day. The biggest plus is that the ammo has always been overpriced, so no big change now.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:08   #11
Caver 60

"Anybody carry a .380 or do most of ya'll use it for practice/fun?"

Any place it's legal, I'm never without my P3AT, no matter what else I'm carrying. Even when I'm carrying my PM9 or my Boberg XR9s or one of my other carry pistols.

The Kel Tec 380 is my 'American Express' pistol. I carry it loaded with flat nose solids. The other carry pistols get fed the best HP's I can buy.
Caver 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:31   #12
Cream Soda Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajcarroll View Post
Well, apparently I need to keep this gun. I don't like getting rid of guns, but my thinking was I had no interest in the .380 round. I'll have to take it to the range and see what I think. I appreciate everyone's comments, especially those about sentimental value, however I also have his S&W Model 10 revolver and a Savage Model 24 .22LR/.410 over-under rifle. Those I'll shoot! I have plenty of sentimental value. Anybody carry a .380 or do most of ya'll use it for practice/fun?

I would keep it.

I have a Bersa Thunder .380, I bought it about 10 years ago. It was my first carry gun. It was what I could afford at the time. I replaced it with more powerful calibers for daily carry, but it still comes in handy. Sometimes I keep it in my glove box as a reserve weapon when I'm going to be driving for a while. It's a nice accurate little gun.
Cream Soda Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45   #13
4 glocks

Anybody carry a .380 or do most of ya'll use it for practice/fun?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire[/QUOTE]

I carry a LCP in the summer because it's so small.

I have only heard good things about the Bersa Thunder.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:29   #14
dajcarroll

I pulled it out of my safe today, and looked it over. Snapped a pic. Thought I'd share. I think I'll keep it...

General Firearms Forum

Old 03-13-2013, 11:30   #15
Bob Hafler

Looks identical to the one I had. I did take about a 3/8" off that long beavertail though. Just made it long enough so it wouldn't cause Hammer/Slide bite. Made it a lot better for CC.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:50   #16
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 glocks View Post
Anybody carry a .380 or do most of ya'll use it for practice/fun?

A "sore" spot around my place. I collect odd guns and I had the opportunity to pick up a few nice collectable .380s. For some reason, known only to the Gods (Who's names only women can pronounce) my wife decided to buy a S&W Bodyguard. Don't get me wrong It's a great gun but as a substitute for her usual .45 cal choices well..... To compound it, two months later she bought a Springfield XDs. So, the .380 doesn't get much mileage.

OTOH I confess to having a fascination with the 9mm Makarov and CZ pistols so we have pair of 82's and few maks and others around.

I have carried a .380 with Speer HP when nothing else would fit but I have other options in similar sized packages
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:01   #17
Bob Hafler

I used to belong to Bersa Talk. There are some good folks over there who I'm sure could answer any Questions you might have, or give you a few tips. If I remember correctly I had a few stovepies in the begining but they cleared up after a little break in period.

I mostly CC my PM9 but carry all my pistols at one time or another. I'll admit when the weather is real hot I'll drop down to my P3at around the neighborhood.

Countrygun. I am also a big fan of the CZ82, and carry that quite often also. Horaday makes a very nice JHP in the 9x18 round.

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 03-13-2013 at 12:12..
Old 03-13-2013, 12:14   #18
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
OTOH I confess to having a fascination with the 9mm Makarov and CZ pistols so we have pair of 82's and few maks and others around.
Don't blame you one bit! I have four CZ-82s and they are all amazing!

The 9X18 is one of my favorite rounds!

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:41   #19
itstime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
Actually they are pretty nice little pistols. I had the exact one your talking about. In the Satin Finish they are a very nice looking pistol. Now as for price I'd say if you can get $250 to $280 your doing good. If I remember correctly I think I paid $319 for it a couple years back. I saw a used one in two tone in the GS a while back that appeared to be in good condition for a $175. I'd still have mine if someone didn't offer me a trade for it that I couldn't refuse.
This is the info I was going to type out. I got mine for under $200 used. Few years back. With the current situation expect more now. Mid 2's I would go.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 13:09   #20
cphilip

Great little guns. Dependable. Sort of a Walther PPK knock off design. My wife learned Semi Auto and took her CWP qualification with one. I also gave my Daughter in law the Concealed Carry version. They are easy to work the slide and a great value.