Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-11-2013, 16:29   #1
1canvas

thinking slim 9mm

I'm thinking about a slim 9mm for some summer carry. up until now my summer carry is a 27, .357 j-frame, and sometimes a P3-at 380. I just though a small slim light weight 9mm would be another good option between the j-frame and the 27. the two I'm looking at is a Kel-Tec P9 and a Ruger LC9. the LC9 seems like a quality gun and it would be my clear choice but the trigger has a very long pull and breaks when the trigger about hits the frame. to those that own a LC9 has the trigger been an issue?
Old 03-11-2013, 16:38   #2
eaglefrq
NRA Member

I have an LC9 and I love it. The trigger is long, but isn't a problem. I've got approx 200 rounds through mine and I think it's gotten a little smoother. I've also learned where the break is and I can pull to the break quickly and then steady through the break.

I highly recommend it, you won't be sorry.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by eaglefrq; 03-11-2013 at 16:39..
eaglefrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 16:43   #3
Texas_eye

I have a Kahr cm9 and don't like it much. Stay away from that choice. Springfield has a XDS 9mm coming in summer if you feel like waiting.
Old 03-11-2013, 16:43   #4
bac1023

I just picked up a Shield 9 recently. It's great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 16:46   #5
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_eye View Post
Springfield has a XDS 9mm coming in summer if you feel like waiting.
+1 on the XDs 9mm but, with the current market conditions, we may have to wait until the end of this year (at best) before we see them on the market.

Last edited by cysoto; 03-11-2013 at 16:47..
cysoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 16:49   #6
flw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I just picked up a Shield 9 recently. It's great.
+1

Has a great Glock like trigger. If you like a Glock trigger, which I do.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 17:09   #7
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Just purchased a shield 9mm as well.

Overall better trigger than the Ruger and the keltec. Much shorter reset. Not quite as good as my 9L, but very useable. The LC9 trigger is fairly smooth, even if it is long.

The s&w gives you 9 rounds vs the lc9 8 rounds. The s&w has a semi-staggered magazine which tapers to a single stack near the top of the magazine. Since the magazine well is wider than then top of the magazine, it makes reloads fairly easy.

The shield is a bit larger and heavier, looking at the specs you wouldn't think that it would be that noticeable, but it is for pocket carry.
Old 03-11-2013, 17:16   #8
mj9mm

i beg to differ on the CM9 comment, mine has been flawless for nearly 2 years and about 2000 rounds. smooth long trigger, no manual safety needed. shoots easy and to POA
Old 03-11-2013, 17:21   #9
1canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
Just purchased a shield 9mm as well.

Overall better trigger than the Ruger and the keltec. Much shorter reset. Not quite as good as my 9L, but very useable. The LC9 trigger is fairly smooth, even if it is long.

The s&w gives you 9 rounds vs the lc9 8 rounds. The s&w has a semi-staggered magazine which tapers to a single stack near the top of the magazine. Since the magazine well is wider than then top of the magazine, it makes reloads fairly easy.

The shield is a bit larger and heavier, looking at the specs you wouldn't think that it would be that noticeable, but it is for pocket carry.
I'm wanting light weight and flat as possible, the P9 and LC9 are the limit on size and weight. the P9 looks a little ruff compared to the LC9 but its over 100.00 less.
Old 03-11-2013, 17:25   #10
WarEagle32

I was very excited about my LC9 after loving my LCP so much. I absolutely hated my LC9 and sold it. That is a terrible trigger, very hard to fire fast and accurate, unlike many other choices for near the same money. I love my Glock 26, and carry it virtually everywhere with its 11 rounds at 20 ounces. My other choice if I were you would be a Shield. One of those two for sure!
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 17:45   #11
Adamz04

I bought an lc9 with the same intentions as you. Let me just say it was JUNK!! Most disappointed I've ever been with a gun purchase. Enough so that I'll never own another ruger. Front sight was off center in the dovetail. Worst trigger ever. Failure to eject 1-2 rds per mag. Mag catch would stick and scrap the mag up and down the mag well. Complete piece of $&Łt.
Old 03-11-2013, 17:52   #12
barth
six barrels

I almost pulled the trigger on a Walther PPS 9mm.
But after the third shooting I shifted gears.
Got a AK, mags and ammo instead.
General Firearms Forum
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:10   #13
Bruce M

I like the Shield better than the LC9 and I like the LC9 better than the KelTec. The LC9 has been an adequate pistol for me but the Shield has, for me, totally eclipsed it. After just a couple hundred rounds it felt as if I had been shooting it for years. Both are just a bit too big for me for pocket carry (except in loose shorts) so the size difference does not matter to me.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:13   #14
RJ's Guns

I carry my Rohrbaugh R9s more than anything else. I believe that it is still the smallest and lightest 9mm. I have given several to close friends and family and everyone of those people love theirs. It is a quality firearm.
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/products''

RJ
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:52   #15
ubimow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj9mm View Post
i beg to differ on the CM9 comment, mine has been flawless for nearly 2 years and about 2000 rounds. smooth long trigger, no manual safety needed. shoots easy and to POA
I agree! I LOVE my CM9!!! I have both the Glock 26 and the M&P9C as well and I cant remember the last I carried either one of them. The Kahr is SO much easier to carry, has a great trigger (IMO) and has very mild recoil.
Old 03-11-2013, 18:55   #16
cessnastud
Rawr!!!

Make mine a K9. It's heavier, but I carry AIWB, so it's doable.
cessnastud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:57   #17
Rockimook

Shield all the way
Rockimook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:59   #18
glowrod
Fightin' Fire

I did pull the trigger recently on the PPS. Have not CCW'd with it yet. It is an excellent shooter and very accurate. Just something to consider.
Old 03-11-2013, 19:01   #19
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canvas View Post
I'm thinking about a slim 9mm for some summer carry. up until now my summer carry is a 27, .357 j-frame, and sometimes a P3-at 380. I just though a small slim light weight 9mm would be another good option between the j-frame and the 27. the two I'm looking at is a Kel-Tec P9 and a Ruger LC9. the LC9 seems like a quality gun and it would be my clear choice but the trigger has a very long pull and breaks when the trigger about hits the frame. to those that own a LC9 has the trigger been an issue?
I have an LC9 and the trigger hindered me from shooting it as accurately as the gun was capable of. Installed Galloway Precision hammer and bar and it made a world of difference. The trigger is not lighter but the long pull is gone. Other than that the gun has ate everything I have fed it. I suppose I have shot it around 300 rounds. It is very light and concealable. I hear Ruger is offering a 9 round mag for it but have not seen one yet.
Old 03-11-2013, 22:56   #20
HWA GLOCKER

Shield!