SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:06   #1
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

Range Muffs

I am one of the lucky few who shoot right handed but am left eye dominant. Never been able to shoot both eyes open so I have to tilt my head WAAY to the right to line up the sights. The muffs always get in the way and lodge between my head and shoulder. I've bought countless muffs over the interwebs only to be unhappy. I even bought those orange Leight plugs on the plastic band. What I want is an actual pair of muffs (not plugs) that lay virtually flat against your head so when I tilt they don't interfere. Any recommendations?
hoghunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:29   #2
mjkeat

Change your grip. Shooting the way you do drastically limits your vision and isn't very efficient at all. From my experience those that shoot in the manner you described usually are not able to get a proper stance. It's an issue that effects other aspects of shooting and ultimately downgrades your overall performance.

As a right eye dom left southpaw I had to adapt. I shoot right handed.

Learning to shoot both eyes open would be your best option.

Basically start shooting southpaw or learn to shoot both eyes open.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 13:13   #3
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Change your grip. Shooting the way you do drastically limits your vision and isn't very efficient at all. From my experience those that shoot in the manner you described usually are not able to get a proper stance. It's an issue that effects other aspects of shooting and ultimately downgrades your overall performance.

As a right eye dom left southpaw I had to adapt. I shoot right handed.

Learning to shoot both eyes open would be your best option.

Basically start shooting southpaw or learn to shoot both eyes open.
I would like to shoot both eyes open but it has been a tremendous struggle.
Old 03-10-2013, 13:30   #4
mjkeat

Momma always said...LOL

Seriously though, like everything it takes time.

Also try closing the right eye as your punch out instead of waiting.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 13:32   #5
KalashniKEV

You shoot a long gun from your dominant eye.
KalashniKEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 14:48   #6
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

Actually, I do not. I use my right eye for shooting long rifles and bows. Many a deer have fallen using this method. Maybe I should just learn to shoot weak eye.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-10-2013, 15:13   #7
vista461

I am left eye dom/right handed. For handguns I just move my hand to the left a bit and use my left eye with both of them open, head straight up. I still use my right eye for long guns, can't get used to shooting lefty with a long gun.
vista461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:20   #8
barth
six barrels

Try shooting using your weak eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghunter82 View Post
I am one of the lucky few who shoot right handed but am left eye dominant. Never been able to shoot both eyes open so I have to tilt my head WAAY to the right to line up the sights. The muffs always get in the way and lodge between my head and shoulder. I've bought countless muffs over the interwebs only to be unhappy. I even bought those orange Leight plugs on the plastic band. What I want is an actual pair of muffs (not plugs) that lay virtually flat against your head so when I tilt they don't interfere. Any recommendations?
Cross eye dominance is a stinker.
I'd like to shoot with both eyes open, but that's worse.
I've just learned to close my dominant eye and shoot with the weak one.
Everything works fine like that.
I'm right handed and use a modified weaver stance.

I'm semi ambidextrous too.
And think that's just part of the cross wiring - LOL.

Last edited by barth; 03-10-2013 at 15:24..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:20   #9
jmb79

I too am right handed and left eyed. As vista461 stated, I only have to move my head a little bit in order to align my left eye with handgun sights. If you have to crank you head way over to the side, so much that you impinge your ear pro, something is wrong. My guess is that you don't really need to tilt as much as your are.

For the record, I shoot handguns with my right hand and long guns with my left hand/left shoulder mount. Just started doing it than way when I was kid and didn't know any better.

Last edited by jmb79; 03-10-2013 at 15:21..
jmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:26   #10
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
http://www.srstactical.com/communica...5302*x*02.html

With gel ear cups.

Although if you are indoors, next to a rifle with an obnoxious brake, or with centerfire rifles and under a roof/awning, you will want plugs underneath them. Still great though, if you have to put plugs under them just turn the volume up a little and you are in business.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 03-10-2013 at 15:28..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:38   #11
rockabillyrider

General Firearms Forum
rockabillyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 16:05   #12
mtbinva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb79 View Post
I too am right handed and left eyed. As vista461 stated, I only have to move my head a little bit in order to align my left eye with handgun sights. If you have to crank you head way over to the side, so much that you impinge your ear pro, something is wrong. My guess is that you don't really need to tilt as much as your are.

For the record, I shoot handguns with my right hand and long guns with my left hand/left shoulder mount. Just started doing it than way when I was kid and didn't know any better.
I'm the same way. I just adapted my right eye and it fixed a lot of issues.

Louis Pasteur
mtbinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 19:10   #13
jmb79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I love my Sordins. They're a bit less expensive at Triad Tactical, here:http://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sor...eme-Pro-X.html
Well worth the money.

Last edited by jmb79; 03-10-2013 at 19:10..
jmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 19:28   #14
La26

When gripping the weapon with your right hand and using the left hand for support (a basic both thumbs forward two handed grip) , try slightly rotating the weapon so that the sights are at 11 o'clock, and the magazine is kinda pointing at 5 o'clock. I don't mean an exaggerated "gangsta" 90 degree grip, but just slightly rotated so that the sights are aligned with your left eye, and close your right eye, or keep both eyes open. When shooting the qualification course, that is how I shoot from the support (left) side barricade.
It is best to keep your head upright when shooting, and try to avoid tilting it either way.

Last edited by La26; 03-10-2013 at 21:58..
La26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 20:08   #15
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

Thanks for all the comments. I will try everything mentioned above and see what works.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-11-2013, 05:45   #16
Lowjiber

Hickock45 is left eye dominate. Doesn't seem to have a problem.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16   #17
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Actually, I do not. I use my right eye for shooting long rifles and bows. Many a deer have fallen using this method. Maybe I should just learn to shoot weak eye.
I don't doubt that it's possible to hit a target using the weak eye or contorting your body into some bizarre position... I dated some ditzy chick that drove an automatic with both feet once- she managed to keep it on the road.

Those who think they have trained their weak eye to function as good as their dominant eye... usually have not. Only Nicholas Cage can take a few laps around the motor pool with panties on his head and come out with a completely new set of neural pathways.

If you're interested in learning how to shoot though, and eventually becoming good at it, you're going to have to shoot from your dominant eye.

This presents several great advantages such as:

1) You will be able to instantaneously assess malfunctions with a carbine and render the appropriate remedy.

2) You will naturally reload and reduce malfunctions faster with your dominant hand.

3) You will perform slug changeovers faster, and with greater accuracy on a pump shotgun.

4) Your transitions to pistol will be much faster because you will be coming out of the holster with your strong hand while stowing the rifle with your other hand.

5) You will drive a long gun faster and more accurately using your strong hand.

IF you happen to have a disability, like Mike Pannone does, you can jump the optic higher (into outer space) and it will be easier to witness with your far side eye. This is obviously sub-optimal for a number of reasons though.

General Firearms Forum

If you don't have a glass eye, I recommend you learn how to shoot a long gun though...
Old 03-11-2013, 09:29   #18
mtbinva

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post

Those who think they have trained their weak eye to function as good as their dominant eye... usually have not. Only Nicholas Cage can take a few laps around the motor pool with panties on his head and come out with a completely new set of neural pathways.
I respectfully disagree. Top, left eye (My dominant eye); bottom, right eye. Right handed with a G27.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363015717.140176.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	231898

The top had 2 mags on it, bottom only one.

EDIT: 7 yards out.

Louis Pasteur

Last edited by mtbinva; 03-11-2013 at 09:30..
Old 03-11-2013, 09:49   #19
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbinva View Post
I respectfully disagree. Top, left eye (My dominant eye); bottom, right eye. Right handed with a G27.

Attachment 231898

The top had 2 mags on it, bottom only one.

EDIT: 7 yards out.
How are you isolating for one eye or the other when shooting a pistol?

Are you not shooting with both eyes open?

Are you not shooting Modern Iso?

Are you sure you know which is your dominant eye?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00   #20
mtbinva

How are you isolating for one eye or the other when shooting a pistol? Simply using the right eye. A MP instructor and I had this discussion, and said its simply a matter of practice. And dry fire exercises.

Are you not shooting with both eyes open? No, I tried and found it difficult, could not get a good site picture.

Are you not shooting Modern Iso? Yes

Are you sure you know which is your dominant eye? Yes

Louis Pasteur