SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-13-2013, 15:23   #101
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Talk about misrepresentation of reality. I haven't had to modify a 1911 since my first stock Series 70. They weren't making them with today's "standard" features back then. I have 5 variations on the 1911 right now and I have had a higher rate of failure out of my Glock 22 than any of them. The only failure of the Glock was bad/worn mag and the same thing will happen with any autoloader.

Look at the 1911 forum here. Exactly how many of the threads are about modifying the 1911?

Compare that to,

"which after market barrel is best to shoot lead in my Glock?"

"0.25 trigger job"

"Polishing the trigger linkage on my Glock"

"NY trigger for my Glock?"

"Does my Glock need butt plug?"

"another Glock Ka-Boom"

"Stippling my Glock frame"

"Should I put a colored back plate on my Glock?"

It seems like the 1911 shooters around here aren't doing as much fiddling with their guns as the Glockers are.

Sounds like someone can't see out of the tub of "1911 haterade" they fell into.
I think the last time I checked this form is called GLOCK TALK, not a 1911 forum. So yes you will have people talking about doing stuff to their Glocks. Iím sure if you go to a 1911 forum they will talk about modifications they did or want to do with their 1911. And also bad mouth Glocks.
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-13-2013, 15:25   #102
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
No, I am talking regular shooters, mostly noobs shooting factory ammo. Weak hand, lots of Glock FTF, weak side barracade, lots of FTF, limp wristing.
I'll have to shoot a video of me trying to get one of my 40 cal Glocks to limpwrist.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 15:37   #103
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
I think the last time I checked this form is called GLOCK TALK, not a 1911 forum. So yes you will have people talking about doing stuff to their Glocks. Iím sure if you go to a 1911 forum they will talk about modifications they did or want to do with their 1911. And also bad mouth Glocks.
I was hoping you would mention that.

Go to a 1911 forum that has room for "other" firearms and look closely, you will see that, the percentage of Glock modification threads is far higher on a 1911 forum than percentage of 1911 modification threads, is here.

I am very willing to bet that more Glocks are modified in some way, quicker than 1911s.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 16:15   #104
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I replaced all the guts in my Glock at about 100K. Had a random ejection issue. Probably could have replaced two parts and been done with it but instead I spent the $125 and replaced everything. I don't want to wonder about the next part to wear out.
If you would have gone to the Greeley GSSF match you could have had your Glock looked at and the parts replaced for free. And no you would have not had to shoot the match if you didnít want too.
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-13-2013, 16:26   #105
dkf

Quote:

Go to a 1911 forum that has room for "other" firearms and look closely, you will see that, the percentage of Glock modification threads is far higher on a 1911 forum than percentage of 1911 modification threads, is here.

I am very willing to bet that more Glocks are modified in some way, quicker than 1911s.
So you are saying more guys are willing to modify their cheaper and more simple Glock vs their 1911. What a shocker.

All my Glocks are "modified" then, $.25 trigger job and night sights. That is it.

Last edited by dkf; 03-13-2013 at 16:27..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 16:42   #106
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
So you are saying more guys are willing to modify their cheaper and more simple Glock vs their 1911. What a shocker.

All my Glocks are "modified" then, $.25 trigger job and night sights. That is it.
I was responding to the claims bout 1911's being modified all the time by another poster.

But it's odd, I have a couple of Glocks and I don't hate them, they're a pretty good concept and it's even better now that the Croatians and Springfield have done it right.
Old 03-13-2013, 16:44   #107
countrygun

Quote:
So you are saying more guys are HAVING to modify their cheaper and more simple Glock vs their 1911. What a shocker.

Fixed it for you
Old 03-13-2013, 16:48   #108
unclebob

Quote:

Weíll let see when I first bought my 1911. I had a new hammer, trigger, sights; parts polished and tuned, ambidextrous safety, extended slide release, extended and tuned ejector. The thing whatever it is called that fits around the front of the barrel replaced. Recoil spring replace. Grips replaced. And I donít remember what else I had done to the gun. Other than the grips everything else was done by a 1911 gunsmith. Did that before I even shot the gun.
Can an average person R&R all the part you mentioned and then some on a Glock? Yes. There was no way I would even try and tackle what I had done to the 1911.
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-13-2013, 16:50   #109
n2extrm

Quote:
That is just my experience with my gun. Sets the standard of MY comparison to other guns. Same could be said for many guns. Most people who brag about their guns don't even have 5K rounds in the thing. That is my experience for ALL gun owners. I personally don't know a single 1911 that has 100K in it and never had major rebuild done to it by a gunsmith. Do you? Be honest. I replaced all the guts in my Glock at about 100K. Had a random ejection issue. Probably could have replaced two parts and been done with it but instead I spent the $125 and replaced everything. I don't want to wonder about the next part to wear out.

CZ owners don't brag, they complain about parts breaking but love the Trigger and grip
M&P owners usually just say "I like the trigger and grip way more then the Glock I used to own" Then they complain about fixing a extraction issue.
Glock owners are most likely to say "I just like a gun that works"
1911's owners try and convince you their gun is the complete package and nothing compares to a 1911.
Well I think the M&P is what Glock claimed to be. I think they refined it and made a better gun. I bought the 45C to replace the 30sf that would not run. I love it. It simply works. All I wanted from it. It points well, it's reliable and the interchangeable back strap gave me some options in fit. Overall some nicer features like the stainless slide, the slide serration, above mentioned back strap oh and it works. The one thing the Glock never did. Not to mention Glock treated me poorly, lost my gun, lied to me and told me it was me not the gun. In the end a year after I sold it they released some new trigger bar to fix the issue. My good friend has the gun added the bar and its fine now. Point being stock gun stock ammo it sucked. The M&P just worked and for the same money you get a superior product. Not opinion fact, the stainless slide is better material then the Glocks, the back straps were an improvement, warranty yes life time not 12 months, customer service based on my past experience with both S&W wins.

I don't see why it's any different that you boast about how much better the Glock is then a 1911 vs a guy who loves his 1911? Even if you say it's a tool and you don't get the attraction, some do. Live and let live. I like to look at the design and style of some firearms. A Glock is a Glock an M&P is just an M&P. Sometimes something stands out and makes a gun more attractive (or less) like a finish or some extra fitting and finishing. My avatar is my CDP. I love the colors how they work off each other and the carry melt, all the smooth edges. The gun runs and runs, it hits the target when I do my part and it carries well. It's not my IDPA first choice, I shoot the M&P or my full size 1911. But if I can hit with the 5 inch 1911 the 4 inch is the same, no sense in beating up an aluminum frame carry gun. And frankly I don't want to ruin the finish in the sand on that gun because I like it that much. I do beat up the above 2 and they run and run.

It's ok to not like a 1911 and to believe the Glock is the end all beat all which is what you are really saying. It's not ok to be hypocritical and make fun of a guy who says he loves his 1911 (or what ever) because he says it then do the same thing.

Anything can break or give you trouble, personal experience and taste dictate what you like and enjoy. Live and let live. The 1911 bunch listens to all the Glock lovers boast and brag when ever an extractor fails, we laugh when ever a plastic front sight flys off.
Old 03-13-2013, 16:59   #110
countrygun

Quote:
Weíll let see when I first bought my 1911. I had a new hammer, trigger, sights; parts polished and tuned, ambidextrous safety, extended slide release, extended and tuned ejector. The thing whatever it is called that fits around the front of the barrel replaced. Recoil spring replace. Grips replaced. And I donít remember what else I had done to the gun. Other than the grips everything else was done by a 1911 gunsmith. Did that before I even shot the gun.
Can an average person R&R all the part you mentioned and then some on a Glock? Yes. There was no way I would even try and tackle what I had done to the 1911.
Take this as you will, but I did most of those things, sans the slide release and ambi safety, on my first 1911 including fitting a NM barrel bushing between age 17 and 19. Really wasn't that challenging.
Old 03-13-2013, 17:22   #111
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2extrm View Post
Well I think the M&P is what Glock claimed to be. I think they refined it and made a better gun. I bought the 45C to replace the 30sf that would not run. I love it. It simply works. All I wanted from it. It points well, it's reliable and the interchangeable back strap gave me some options in fit. Overall some nicer features like the stainless slide, the slide serration, above mentioned back strap oh and it works. The one thing the Glock never did. Not to mention Glock treated me poorly, lost my gun, lied to me and told me it was me not the gun. In the end a year after I sold it they released some new trigger bar to fix the issue. My good friend has the gun added the bar and its fine now. Point being stock gun stock ammo it sucked. The M&P just worked and for the same money you get a superior product. Not opinion fact, the stainless slide is better material then the Glocks, the back straps were an improvement, warranty yes life time not 12 months, customer service based on my past experience with both S&W wins.

I don't see why it's any different that you boast about how much better the Glock is then a 1911 vs a guy who loves his 1911? Even if you say it's a tool and you don't get the attraction, some do. Live and let live. I like to look at the design and style of some firearms. A Glock is a Glock an M&P is just an M&P. Sometimes something stands out and makes a gun more attractive (or less) like a finish or some extra fitting and finishing. My avatar is my CDP. I love the colors how they work off each other and the carry melt, all the smooth edges. The gun runs and runs, it hits the target when I do my part and it carries well. It's not my IDPA first choice, I shoot the M&P or my full size 1911. But if I can hit with the 5 inch 1911 the 4 inch is the same, no sense in beating up an aluminum frame carry gun. And frankly I don't want to ruin the finish in the sand on that gun because I like it that much. I do beat up the above 2 and they run and run.

It's ok to not like a 1911 and to believe the Glock is the end all beat all which is what you are really saying. It's not ok to be hypocritical and make fun of a guy who says he loves his 1911 (or what ever) because he says it then do the same thing.

Anything can break or give you trouble, personal experience and taste dictate what you like and enjoy. Live and let live. The 1911 bunch listens to all the Glock lovers boast and brag when ever an extractor fails, we laugh when ever a plastic front sight flys off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Hey Steve, I do believe it was you that first tossed this out there, So what did you expect? You are now contradiciting your orig point & agreeing w/ me at the same time. Yes, any gun, Glock, 1911, Sig, all can & do fail. I get just as tired hearing how reliable Glocks are, yet see them fail litterally every weekend.
Go back and read my posts. I have NOT been bashing the 1911 or praising the Glock in general. This is about the attitude of superiority of 1911 owners. I never said anything negative about the 1911 I wouldn't say the same thing about a Glock or any other gun. Every gun has it's pros and cons. Show me where I did. Any gun can fail. It's the attitude of 1911 owners that drive me nuts. Even the "Why 1911's Suck Video Part 2" isn't a bash on the gun. I hardly think the marketing manager of Wilson Combat would allow himself to be videoed bad mouthing the 1911. You 1911 owners are a touchy bunch. It's funny how quickly you jump to the defense of the gun when I was mostly talking about the gun owners. You would think that would be worse but not to most 1911 owners.

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 03-13-2013 at 17:23..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 17:28   #112
norton

Isn't it possible to appreciate both? I only own one 1911, but have 3 Glocks. One of the Glocks is as accurate for me to shoot (note I said me, not in general) as the Colt NRM I own. Its the Glock 35.
I like my 1911, but its been back to either Colt or to a local gunsmith because my first front sight popped out of the dovetail, never to be seen again. Sent it back to Colt, and had them install adjustable sights as well as a new front sight. The new adjustable broke (small pin that moves the windage adjustment) . It also has a loose front sight again.
My Glock 35 is bone stock, and has never seen a gunsmith-I did have an issue with My Glock 21, which may have been my fault, but Glock replaced the frame free of charge.
Bottom line for me is, I like the 1911, but if I had to stake my life on it I would choose the Glock 35 every time.

Last edited by norton; 03-13-2013 at 17:41..
norton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 17:30   #113
Colorado4Wheel

Steve,

I am curious about your G30? Why it doesn't run. What style bullets do you use?

To be fair you also owned a 1911 that you sold because it wouldn't run. So has Ray. I have never owned a Glock that wouldn't run. As reloaders we know there are a multitude of things that can cause a gun not to run. For instance, Glocks in general do not like bullets with any driving band on them. I had to sell a mold with a driving band for that very reason. Not the guns fault. It's not designed to be run with SWC or bullets wtih a driving band. Some guns are. Not saying this is you but...to all the others... complaining a gun doesn't like "X" when it's not designed to use "X" is like complaining your Civic isn't fast enough while it gets 40 mpg going down the highway. Want fast, get a sportscar. Want a gun to shoot LSWC, don't buy a Glock.
Old 03-13-2013, 17:36   #114
unclebob

Quote:
Take this as you will, but I did most of those things, sans the slide release and ambi safety, on my first 1911 including fitting a NM barrel bushing between age 17 and 19. Really wasn't that challenging.
So you modified your 1911 same as with people may or may not modify their Glocks. But a Glock is a lot easier. Also just because someone makes a part for a Glock and saying it makes it look or does a better job than stock Glock parts are just out to make money. And in the long run will start having problems with their aftermarket parts. Yes Glock had problems with the trigger bar on the G30. All of my Glocks I change out the sights and put in a Glock 3.5LB connector and do a polishing job.
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-13-2013, 17:42   #115
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:

.....it took you 2 years to fit a NM barrel bushing??
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 17:44   #116
countrygun

Quote:
So you modified your 1911 same as with people may or may not modify their Glocks. But a Glock is a lot easier. Also just because someone makes a part for a Glock and saying it makes it look or does a better job than stock Glock parts are just out to make money. And in the long run will start having problems with their aftermarket parts. Yes Glock had problems with the trigger bar on the G30. All of my Glocks I change out the sights and put in a Glock 3.5LB connector and do a polishing job.
As I said, when I was 17 or about 35 years ago BECAUSE those modifications were not available from any factory at the time It also included beveling the mag well which was unknown from a factory at the time. Those "mods" are now "off the rack" options or standard.

I now have 5 1911 variants here that I have never had to modify in any way or have had any, non magazine related failures. Of course there is one here so new I haven't had a chance to even test fire it but some of the others I've had for years
Old 03-13-2013, 17:46   #117
n2extrm

Actually I never jumped to the defense of the gun. I said live and let live like what you like. They all have some failures and issues. I maybe perceived as justifying my likes, as a point in general. Almost trying to get you to see the other side. No claims of greatness, no claims of 100K trouble free rounds, I can burry my gun in mud, shoot it and hold MOA and then if I feel like it put it in the dishwasher to clean it.

I did bash Glocks CS, they deserve it iMHO. If you have a gun longer then I do in the first 6 months of ownership and still can't fix it or agree to replace it, you deserve to be bashed. I think they are living off of the legend and frankly it is being challenged by others like SA, S&W, even H&K has a pistol in the Glock price range that puts the Glock to shame.Now I can't comment on the Gen 4 because I don't know, they may have caught up with the pack, frankly I could care less. Advertising gets you the first sale, CS keeps the or looses the rest.

I do believe there are as many Glock fan boys as there are 1911 fan boys.
Old 03-13-2013, 17:46   #118
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
So far here @ GTR I saw picture proof of two guys that are cross dressers. Both 1911 guys. A bunch of the other 1911 guys are from California.

Do I need to say more.
You know, I don't care what people say about polyester... it holds a good crease and it's really comfortable.

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 17:49   #119
dkf

Quote:
But it's odd, I have a couple of Glocks and I don't hate them, they're a pretty good concept and it's even better now that the Croatians and Springfield have done it right.
Yeah Springfield took someone elses gun, doubled the price and sold it under their name. How innovative. A grip safety on a pistol that should not have a grip safety. I would much rather have an M&P.

Sig has a .357sig 1911 out that I would like to have but the price and the ugly colors of the models has kept me away. Sig really needs to go less tacticool with their 1911s IMO.

Quote:
You know, I don't care what people say about polyester... it holds a good crease and it's really comfortable.

I will take your word for it. I am happy to say I have never taken a trip to polyestertown. Closest I have been was Dickies work pants.

Last edited by dkf; 03-13-2013 at 17:55..
Old 03-13-2013, 17:52   #120
n2extrm

My 30SF had the issue where the slide rubbed the trigger bar. There were a multitude of threads on this here (how I found Glock Talk) and else where. I don't remember the part number put it had an extra dash or too over the normal one that Glock sells. One is like a -1 and the replacement is -1- or some such thing.

I spent a ton of money on shipping and factory ammo trying to like the 30SF or "break it in" as I was instructed.
Old 03-13-2013, 17:54   #121
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Steve,

I am curious about your G30? Why it doesn't run. What style bullets do you use?

To be fair you also owned a 1911 that you sold because it wouldn't run. So has Ray. I have never owned a Glock that wouldn't run. As reloaders we know there are a multitude of things that can cause a gun not to run. For instance, Glocks in general do not like bullets with any driving band on them. I had to sell a mold with a driving band for that very reason. Not the guns fault. It's not designed to be run with SWC or bullets wtih a driving band. Some guns are. Not saying this is you but...to all the others... complaining a gun doesn't like "X" when it's not designed to use "X" is like complaining your Civic isn't fast enough while it gets 40 mpg going down the highway. Want fast, get a sportscar. Want a gun to shoot LSWC, don't buy a Glock.
G30 has choked on PMC, Fiocchi and my MG reloads... all 230 fmj... all pass the plunk test. It's not often, but it happens.

Yep. I had a Kimber that was a turd from the get-go.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 17:55   #122
n2extrm

Quote:
Yeah Springfield took someone elses gun, doubled the price and sold it under their name. How innovative. A grip safety on a pistol that should not have a grip safety. I would much rather have an M&P.
I think the XD brings more to the table then the Glock, but I agree I like the M&P better.

I think the grip safety was an attempt to appeal to the 1911 guys, people who felt the Glock set up wasn't safe, but for what ever reason wanted a Glock like pistol. Yeah I don't get it just my thought on it.
Old 03-13-2013, 17:59   #123
dkf

Quote:
I think the XD brings more to the table then the Glock, but I agree I like the M&P better.

I think the grip safety was an attempt to appeal to the 1911 guys, people who felt the Glock set up wasn't safe, but for what ever reason wanted a Glock like pistol. Yeah I don't get it just my thought on it.
The XDMs are nice and I would not mind having one. Like I said the grip safety keeps me away.

From what I have read the XD and XDMtrigger mechanism is quite a bit different than say a Glock and really needs the grip safety.
Old 03-13-2013, 18:03   #124
n2extrm

Quote:
The XDMs are nice and I would not mind having one. Like I said the grip safety keeps me away.

From what I have read the XD and XDMtrigger mechanism is quite a bit different than say a Glock and really needs the grip safety.
We never got the XDM here in NY, they never made the 10 round mags as far as I know. I actually was waiting for them to do it but it never happened and I gave up checking. Now we are at 7 rounds so it doesn't matter any more.

Good thing I like a 1911, its the only thing you can still buy!

No its not funny but I have to laugh or ill cry!
Old 03-13-2013, 18:08   #125
dkf

Quote:
We never got the XDM here in NY, they never made the 10 round mags as far as I know. I actually was waiting for them to do it but it never happened and I gave up checking. Now we are at 7 rounds so it doesn't matter any more.

Good thing I like a 1911, its the only thing you can still buy!

No its not funny but I have to laugh or ill cry!
Springfiled has the XDS in .45acp and I believe they soon bringing it out in other calibers also. The current XDS holds 5 so it is Cuhomo approved.

The way it sounds the fight has just begun in NY. If they can get the "SAFE Act" found unconstitutional on both the state and federal level I hope they impeach Cuhomo and recall everyone whom voted in favor of the bill.

I am not going to argue that Glock has had issues and currently does not have issues. Some of the Gen4 pistols have issues and they have had their share of troublesome stuff over the years. IMO they should have added replaceable backstraps on the Gen4 and called it good. Left the extractor and RSA as is and don't try and cheap out on them.

Last edited by dkf; 03-13-2013 at 18:11..

Tags
1911's rule, little stevie trolling