Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:50   #61
WiskyT
Malcontent

Reloading

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay

Last edited by WiskyT; 03-12-2013 at 05:51..
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13   #62
Colorado4Wheel

But it has a link. What is that all about?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04   #63
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
But it has a link. What is that all about?
With no link, there would be no link pin. With no link pin, there would be nothing to fall out on the floor when you field strip it. With no link pin, there would be nothing to peen, tweek if you will, to stop it from getting lost and disabling the gun should you need to clean it in the field.

Last edited by WiskyT; 03-12-2013 at 10:04..
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10   #64
unclebob

In the past 16 years that I have been shooting Glocks 14 of those years have been shooting 7 or more matches of GSSF a year and a little steel competition thrown in. In those 16 years I have owned 23 Glocks and I have given or sold 3 or 4 Glock certificates. In all of those years some of them were I shooting 20,000 to 30,000 a year. Other than trying to load way to low and one defective G30 magazine and trying to get my highly modified unlimited gun to run. I have as far as I can remember I have not had any part break or gun malfunction that I could not trace back to my reloads.
Now 1911 that I like but don’t trust. I had a Kimber that had all kinds of FTF with all kinds of ammo. I have a Colt 1911 A1 that with about 500 rds. Dry firing the safety plunger tube popped out. Making the gun worthless. Could not take the safety off. During gun test when I was in the Air Force I had two 1911 that parts fell off the gun when shooting. When shooting steel matches where most shooter shot Glocks and a few STI etc. 1911 guns, the 1911 were the guns with the malfunctions.
Well a Glock malfunction sure. But most of the time it is either reloads or Non stock Glock parts that people try and use, or kitchen gun modifications.
And I shoot Glocks because I can win guns and or money and don’t have to be good at doing it. I have only bought 5 of those Glocks.
GSSF Life Member

Last edited by unclebob; 03-12-2013 at 10:52..
unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49   #65
Colorado4Wheel

Kimber, JMB's bastard step child. Big money and loose stacking tolerances for the Lose with that group.

But at least they are pretty.
Old 03-12-2013, 13:24   #66
fredj338

The thing is many non 1911 guys rage against the dinosaure gun, but not that many have shot them extensively or even at all. When I show up @ a training class w/a 1911, I get a lot of cat calls from the Glock shooters about reliability, even from some younger instructors. Then after the 1-2 days, & 500-600rds w/o cleaning, my 1911 is still running fine, most want a 1911 taht will do that.
So while Glocks tend to be more reliable, they do fail & sometimes for no apparent reason. The 40cal ones seem to have a real issue w/ limp wristing, something that is serious & can be corrected w/ training, but shouldn't happen at all IMO. I can shoot a 1911, weak hand, strong hand even w/ 2 fingers & it works. I like my plastic guns, easy to clean & the frame won't rust from sweaty hands, but nothing wrong w/ the ole dino guns.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-12-2013 at 13:27..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 14:42   #67
Colorado4Wheel

And what about all the Clanking?
Old 03-12-2013, 14:49   #68
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
The thing is many non 1911 guys rage against the dinosaure gun, but not that many have shot them extensively or even at all. When I show up @ a training class w/a 1911, I get a lot of cat calls from the Glock shooters about reliability, even from some younger instructors. Then after the 1-2 days, & 500-600rds w/o cleaning, my 1911 is still running fine, most want a 1911 taht will do that.
So while Glocks tend to be more reliable, they do fail & sometimes for no apparent reason. The 40cal ones seem to have a real issue w/ limp wristing, something that is serious & can be corrected w/ training, but shouldn't happen at all IMO. I can shoot a 1911, weak hand, strong hand even w/ 2 fingers & it works. I like my plastic guns, easy to clean & the frame won't rust from sweaty hands, but nothing wrong w/ the ole dino guns.
40SW Glocks aren't subject to limpwristing problems. They have the same recoil spring and only a marginally heavier slide than the 9mm Glocks. I can hold my G27,22 with two fingers just enough to stop it from falling to the floor and fire it with mousefarts and it cycles.

I once assisted another dept that came to the range as we were leaving. They had 50 new G23's to run a couple hundred rounds each through. They were glad to have a volunteer to help them burn some of that ammo. We were intentionall limwristing them and none of them choked.

Any gun that won't cycle while being limpwristed is a safe queen. There is an extremely good chance if you need it in a gunfight, you will be limpwristing it. When you're injured, scrambling for cover, and maybe shooting your blood covered gun with your weak hand, it better or work.

Old 03-12-2013, 15:38   #69
n2extrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
40SW Glocks aren't subject to limpwristing problems. They have the same recoil spring and only a marginally heavier slide than the 9mm Glocks. I can hold my G27,22 with two fingers just enough to stop it from falling to the floor and fire it with mousefarts and it cycles.

I once assisted another dept that came to the range as we were leaving. They had 50 new G23's to run a couple hundred rounds each through. They were glad to have a volunteer to help them burn some of that ammo. We were intentionall limwristing them and none of them choked.

Any gun that won't cycle while being limpwristed is a safe queen. There is an extremely good chance if you need it in a gunfight, you will be limpwristing it. When you're injured, scrambling for cover, and maybe shooting your blood covered gun with your weak hand, it better or work.
I find that kinda funny because when my G30Sf would not run no matter what ammo or who shot it Glock insisted (trip after trip back to them) the issue was limp wristing. Now I know the 30 if a .45 but I'm just taking your general statement "any gun". The reality is any gun can be a POS out of the box. Most have some help along the way from a misguided attempt to "make it better".

Like I said to each his own, but lets not exaggerate the 1911's that have problems. All of mine run fine, 100% of the time. Have I had problems, yeah because I did something stupid like too little crimp. Everyone has done things like this wether or not they admit it.

Guys have problems with thumbs and slide locks, not a fault of the gun, it happens. Same with the safety on a 1911. Its so awkward to some, get a guy who shot one for a while and its fluid.

You can say what you want about the 1911 but I would think there's enough out there running strong to support the fact they aren't unreliable hunks of metal. Some have issues, like Fred said usually because someone monkeys with them.

I would never try to compare the two, they are absolutely different animals.

Oh and the hell is with the clinker/clanking thing? Its not a Garand? Is steve confusing the two?
Old 03-12-2013, 15:45   #70
WiskyT
Malcontent

I don't doubt your Glock didn't run, but it wasn't due to limpwristing despite what Glock said.

Old 03-12-2013, 15:51   #71
Hoser
Mall Ninja

Quote:
And what about all the Clanking?
Plugs **and** muffs.

You never hear it.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 16:48   #72
Colorado4Wheel

Yeah, leave the M1/M14 out of this.....
Old 03-12-2013, 16:54   #73
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Yeah, leave the M1/M14 out of this.....
Anything after the Krag was made for the ******* that they let wear the uniform these days.

Old 03-12-2013, 17:34   #74
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Had more failures to feed in my G30 than in both of my 1911's combined, and I shoot the G30 about once a year.

Talkin' ball ammo here...
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:49   #75
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Had more failures to feed in my G30 than in both of my 1911's combined, and I shoot the G30 about once a year.

Talkin' ball ammo here...
I had a magazine that the third shot I would have a FTF. It was the magazine and not the G30. New magazine.
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-12-2013, 17:59   #76
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Well, I see it all the time in IDPA. Stock guns, always when firing one handed or weak side barracade where the gun is rolled over. Nothing diff but the shooting grip/position. 90% of the time it is a 40, sometimes a 45, rarely a 9mm. I can take the same gun & ammo & shoot it w/o problems, so my diag is limp wristing. So could be all bad guns from Glock, but I thought that never happened?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-12-2013 at 18:01..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:59   #77
WiskyT
Malcontent

This is like "Freaky Friday". The old and young have swapped places. Bob arguing for the Glock and Zombie arguing for the 1911.

Old 03-12-2013, 18:07   #78
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Well, I see it all the time in IDPA. Stock guns, always when firing one handed or weak side barracade where the gun is rolled over. Nothing diff but the shooting grip/position. 90% of the time it is a 40, sometimes a 45, rarely a 9mm. So could be all bad guns form Glock, but I thought that never happened?
IDPA, gamers, say no more. I shoot 3.5 Bullseye with a cast 180, prolly 800fps at most, and never have a problem. The 9mm guys are probably shooting factory ball so they make enough PF to run the gun.

I shot IDPA for about a year and in the group of about 25 regulars there, half had problems with all sorts of guns.

Old 03-12-2013, 18:19   #79
Colorado4Wheel

Zombie isn't exactly young.
Old 03-12-2013, 18:22   #80
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Zombie isn't exactly young.
Maybe, but Bob's car has a lever to retard the spark so the crank doesn't kick back on him.

Tags
1911's rule, little stevie trolling