Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:26   #1
swh_longhorn

AK74 barrel issues???

Before anyone jumps, I tried the search feature on this question, but didn't get anywhere....

I've been thinking about getting an AK74 primarily because the ammo is cheap at todays prices. I can pick up 1,000 rounds for about $200-250 for surplus around here.

Doing a little internet research I've seen some posts that there are (or could be) problems with the barrels on them.

Does anyone with an AK74 have any words of wisdom on the issue? What to look for, etc.

Last edited by swh_longhorn; 03-04-2013 at 13:06..
swh_longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 13:30   #2
HWI

The only thing I could think of that you might have found would be a short run of Tantals by Century that used 5.56 barrels and caused really bad keyholing. Other than that I can't think of anything.

If the barrels came in before the barrel ban and are used surplus then you will want to make sure they aren't shot out, but that isn't specific to 5.45.
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 17:12   #3
toshbar
Timber Baron

hahaha. I was paying $115 per 1080 round tin a year ago. Went back to the store 3 weeks ago to see how things were and they are now charging $260/tin for the corrosive surplus.

Good news is that I have enough ammo to burn out the barrel on my Saiga, so I won't be needing any more.

Get a Saiga, Tantal, or Sar-2 unless you want to drop coin for an SGL-31.

As far as things to look for...Typical canted sights on the romanian guns (sometimes Saigas even have cant issues), check for excessive mag wobble with metal surplus mags and plastic ones, trigger slap, how the piston is pinned/peened to the bolt carrier, paint/finish, chromed bore(i don't think any of the tantals have a chrome lined bore but I think all the romanians do. Saigas definitely are chromed), if you buy used - check for rust in barrel, muzzle brake, chamber, gas tube, gas block, around the muzzle, inside the rear sight block. That's about it I think.
2 4 R

Last edited by toshbar; 03-04-2013 at 17:23..
toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:05   #4
the monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
The only thing I could think of that you might have found would be a short run of Tantals by Century that used 5.56 barrels and caused really bad keyholing. Other than that I can't think of anything.

If the barrels came in before the barrel ban and are used surplus then you will want to make sure they aren't shot out, but that isn't specific to 5.45.
^^This

Certified Glock Armorer
the monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 14:43   #5
CBennett

Youp a short run of them came out with wrong barrels I got mine after they switched to the right ones..good shooter..not chrome lined but meh for $369+3 mags shipped i can live with non chrome lined..I just picked up a tin of ammo for $180.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 17:42   #6
gogriz91

Waffen Werks makes a nice AK74. I bought an SGL-31 pre-insanity and it's awesome, you pretty much get what you pay for. I would recommend chrome lined barrel and, if at all possible, a barrel that was mated to the trunnion in Russia or Bulgaria

Heavily medicated for your protection
gogriz91 is offline   Reply With Quote