Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:16   #1
VinnieD

.357 load in a .38 case?

Just a simple question for those more in the know than I am about pressure ratings, and brass. All of my revolvers that shoot .38 special are .357 magnums. I have no .38spl only revolvers. I do however have a lot of .38 brass. It occurred to me that I could be getting better training by practicing with the same recoil I'd expect in a defensive situation.

Is there any reason that a .38 brass loaded with a powder load for .357 magnum and fired in a .357 magnum revolver would be unsafe? I personally think it should be fine, bu I've heard that some calibers of magnum brass have thicker walls than their lesser powered variants.

I suppose catastrophic failure isn't likely, but I think there might be the off chance of wrecking the brass, which would kill the value of reloading.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:33   #2
countrygun

Skeeter Skelton wrote about doing it decades ago and it IMO cause some unsafe ideas. First of all the thought of one of those bombs ending up in a light .38 would worry me too much to contemplate.

Secondly, Skeeter kind of got around that by crimping his loads in the GREASE groove of a SWC. thereby making it too long, hopefully, to fit in a .38 cylinder

BUT

By "loading out like that he gave a bigger combustion chamber than fully seating a bullet in a .38 case with a magnum charge, thereby alleviating a bit of the pressure issue.

In total, with modern brass I doubt you would "blow up" a .357 revolver of modern construction, and loaded "Out" I doubt it more, but it sure as H*** isn't something I would do.

BTWFYI there is a fine line between "wrecking the brass" and "wrecking the gun" with a magnum revolver. a wrecked revolver usually has a root in the brass "wrecking". Do you really think even considering that line to be "safe" ?
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:42   #3
Berto
woo woo

Not a reloader, but I thought there was a formula of reduction to take in account the less case volume of the .38sp....but maybe that's what Countrygun just illustrated in reference to Skeeter.
You could just use .38/44 data, too.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:14   #4
unclebob

The question I have is why do you think you need to practice with the same recoil as your defensive rounds? Most of the encounters occur between 1” to 21’. So your point of impact is not going to that much difference or none at all. The average shoots fired is 3 with the first one a miss. As for recoil in an O.S. situation you are not going to notice if you are shooting a .22 or a 500S&W.The biggest thing is recovery time. So in the long run you are better served by shooting the 38spl rounds developing shooting skills. Where you can shoot more and longer in a practice session without the possibility of developing a jerk. It is just in the long run better for you and the gun. Just some food for thought.
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-07-2013, 07:18   #5
shotgunred
reloading nut

Your basic premiss is flawed. You can't recreate the adrenaline dump and other factors or the real thing. Just practice with good accurate ammo. I seriously doubt your body will notice the difference if you ever need your self defense loads. In the mean time you won't be straining your gun and won't be putting unnecessary stress on your joints.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13   #6
Smoker

what they said ,,,, I wouldn't even consider it.... I've become attached to my fingers..
Some guys think they have to max out everything,,,, why???
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:25   #7
SARDG

Federal/ATK goes so far as to advertise ballistic-equivalent ammo for training and tactical so that officers/agents get the same feel and other cartridge traits. I think most agencies can't afford to worry about that today however, and purchase whatever is cheap for their training.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:35   #8
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
Federal/ATK goes so far as to advertise ballistic-equivalent ammo for training and tactical so that officers/agents get the same feel and other cartridge traits. I think most agencies can't afford to worry about that today however, and purchase whatever is cheap for their training.
And there great training tactics has also killed agents. In a O.S. you do not notice or feel the recoil. So what is better practice shooting 25 rounds and shop because it is starting to hurt. Or 100 rds. of light recoil?
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47   #9
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
And there great training tactics has also killed agents...
Friendly fire's a terrible thing, and plenty prevalent within LE and Mil.

My only near real life training is IDPA - all powderpuff loads.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:50   #10
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

When brass comes apart it can take parts of the gun with it. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:02   #11
unclebob

Quote:

My only near real life training is IDPA - all powderpuff loads.
Does FBI and Miami ring a bell.
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44   #12
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I wouldn't do it myself. The 357 Mag has thicker (stronger) brass and even assuming the charge did fit in the 38 Spcl case you've just skyrocketed pressures because now you have less working space.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:57   #13
unclebob

Quote:
I know all too well about friendly fire.
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-07-2013, 10:46   #14
fredj338

Loading a 357magnum load in 38sp brass will be waaaay over pressure. It's fine to max out the 38sp+P in a 357mag, but trying to force 38sp brass to perfrom @ mag pressures will have blown cases at some point. So limit your 38sp brass to +P max, no more. Buy 357mag brass for 357mag loads.
As to practiing as you play, I think there is a lot of pros in that & few cons. Shoot 38sp ammo exclusively then go have to fire full pwoer 357mags, it will affect your shooting, adrenaline dunm or not. There is a small adrenaline factor whenever you hear the buzzer in IDPA. There is a reason that many shoot minor loads & not full power, they are just easier to shoot well. So while it isn't a defining training factor, one should shoot their carry ammo a few times a eyar to be familiar with it. IF LEA & military train w/ full power ammo, why should you?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01   #15
countrygun

Most of marksmanship is about sight picture and trigger control. "Practicing Recoil" is sorta like practicing locking the barn after the horse gets out.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:04   #16
superhornet

Be careful--you will put your eye out...
superhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:08   #17
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
The question I have is why do you think you need to practice with the same recoil as your defensive rounds? Most of the encounters occur between 1” to 21’. So your point of impact is not going to that much difference or none at all. The average shoots fired is 3 with the first one a miss. As for recoil in an O.S. situation you are not going to notice if you are shooting a .22 or a 500S&W.The biggest thing is recovery time. So in the long run you are better served by shooting the 38spl rounds developing shooting skills. Where you can shoot more and longer in a practice session without the possibility of developing a jerk. It is just in the long run better for you and the gun. Just some food for thought.

Your channeling Jack on some weird frequency ain't you? It got a lot less grumpy in the transmission.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:29   #18
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Your channeling Jack on some weird frequency ain't you? It got a lot less grumpy in the transmission.
Nope, have been saying that a long time before I ever heard of Jack. But speaking of Jack how is the old geezer doing? I guess I out to email him sometime since he doesn’t like us anymore.
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-07-2013, 12:27   #19
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Most of marksmanship is about sight picture and trigger control. "Practicing Recoil" is sorta like practicing locking the barn after the horse gets out.
Sort of. The more exp shooters can go from 22lr to 44mag & not skip a beat, not so for novice shooters. You will NEVER learn recoil managament unless you actually shoot the heavier recoiling loads. Shoot a 22lr all day, perfect your skills & then you MUST shoot the heavier recoiling guns to learn recoil managment.
Shoot controlled pairs using a timer, you can see the diff in time vs accuracy. The less exp shooters will have either longer split times or poorer accuracy w/ heavier recoiling loads. Why we start noobs w/ 22lr & work up for best reults. We don't hand them a 40 w/ full power loads & expect them to shoot well right out of the gate.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 03-07-2013 at 12:28..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:37   #20
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Nope, have been saying that a long time before I ever heard of Jack. But speaking of Jack how is the old geezer doing? I guess I out to email him sometime since he doesn’t like us anymore.
Talked to him briefly yesterday. He was sounding great for once. Working at a auction so we could only chat for a second. First time he didn't sound horrible in that last couple months of touching base with him.