Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-08-2013, 20:38   #1
Bilrus61

Total number of Glocks produced?

Does Glock give out numbers on how many they produce a year or how many they have made worldwide since they were introduced? Would it be 5 million? 10 million total glocks out there?
Bilrus61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 20:47   #2
James Dean

Not enough. I want a G30 Gen4.
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 20:48   #3
Sdk8103

I seem to remember reading it is somewhere between 2 and 3 million.
Sdk8103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:25   #4
surf

~ 9 million. They are currently back ordered by 1 million. At their current full blown production rate they can produce 1 million in one year. They were adding about 80K per week for awhile. Not sure what it is right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:18   #5
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
~ 9 million. They are currently back ordered by 1 million. At their current full blown production rate they can produce 1 million in one year. They were adding about 80K per week for awhile. Not sure what it is right now.

Source?
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:02   #6
Glock 23 Nutter

Do the Math...

Glock just went to a Four letter Alpha-numeric serial #... because they ran out of Three letter serial #'s.

XXXnnn

So, at the switch from Three to Four, the last Three-alpha produced would be production number:

26(26)(26)(10)(10)(10)-1

[Final Jeperdy! music]

Nutter

Last edited by Glock 23 Nutter; 03-09-2013 at 12:20..
Glock 23 Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:22   #7
Sdk8103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 23 Nutter View Post
Do the Math...

Glock just went to a Four letter Alpha-numeric serial #... because they ran out of Three letter serial #'s.

XXXnnn

So, at the switch from Three to Four, the last Three-alpha produced would be production number:

26(26)(26)(10)(10)(10)-1

[Final Jeperdy! music]

Nutter
That would assume that they used every single letter combination, which is highly unlikely.
Sdk8103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:32   #8
Glock 23 Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdk8103 View Post
That would assume that they used every single letter combination, which is highly unlikely.
Why?

Look at the Serial # history.

AAnnn-ZZnnn...

Two-alpha, then Three-alpha, now Four-alpha.

Serial # - that's what they do. It's not a part # or code.

Nutter

Last edited by Glock 23 Nutter; 03-09-2013 at 12:34..
Old 03-09-2013, 12:50   #9
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdk8103 View Post
Using all possible two and three letter prefixes for thousand gun groups would mean about fifty four million guns produced so far. This seems WAY high, so clearly there is more to it than "always use the next sequence".

Last edited by samurairabbi; 03-09-2013 at 12:51..
samurairabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:55   #10
Glock 23 Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
Using all possible two and three letter prefixes for thousand gun groups would mean about fifty four million guns produced so far. This seems WAY high, so clearly there is more to it than "always use the next sequence".
Nope, but thanks for playin'...

(don't forget your lovely parting gift)

[more final Jeopardy! music]

Nutter
Old 03-09-2013, 13:02   #11
surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Source?
I just updated or did my re-cert for the Glock Armorer and did the 3 day Glock shooting instructor course. This information was relayed by the instructor and was confirmed by the regional representative who showed up later in the day.

The overall production number is common information disseminated at any Glock armorer course. The production backlog information is no secret either and Glock is upfront with their armorers, instructors and even vendors. They do not want any misunderstanding when ordering pistols or parts. The 3rd week of Feb 2013 was the first time in the companies history that they went over 1 million back orders. When the sales started spiking after Nov 2011 they hovered in the upper 900K for a couple months before finally going over 1 million units. Any regional rep will be happy to share this information.

Last edited by surf; 03-09-2013 at 13:02..
Old 03-09-2013, 13:03   #12
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 23 Nutter View Post
Nope, but thanks for playin'...

(don't forget your lovely parting gift)

[more final Jeopardy! music]

Nutter
I won't complain. I could be an NFL replay official listening to that Jeopardy theme on the stadium sound system while I examine the replay. Probably drove him nuts!
Old 03-09-2013, 13:07   #13
AustinTx

I can't believe Glock would even make their guns available, for civilian sales, with that sort of backlog.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 13:17   #14
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx View Post
I can't believe Glock would even make their guns available, for civilian sales, with that sort of backlog.
The American civilian market is the element that has made Gaston a billionaire. Without it, he would be just another wealthy arms producer. The Glock organization, whatever it now is, will remember that.
Old 03-09-2013, 14:40   #15
surf

I will say that Military, LE agencies and certain distributors / dealers take precedent over others as to order status.

Old 03-09-2013, 17:44   #16
RLZIII

In 2007, GLOCK hit the 5 million milestone (source). So if we over-estimate and say that GLOCK has made 1 million pistols a year since, then that leaves us round the 11 million mark. However, since the production wasn't that heavy until more recently, I'd have to guess around 9 million or so (likely with another million on backorder like we've been hearing). While that doesn't seem like a really large number (since things like the iPhone have sold over 250 million units), for gun sales it's absolutely amazing, especially since GLOCK only sells handguns. I have a feeling that we'll get a press release or something when GLOCK hits 10 million (just a guess).
RLZIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 19:37   #17
klt1986

Quote:
I will say that Military, LE agencies and certain distributors / dealers take precedent over others as to order status.
My LGS is a large LE dealer and they have been getting in a steady supply of Glocks. I have purchased a G17 G4, a G27 G4 and almost bought a G30S. All of these have been since late December 2012.
Big Dawg #6874
Sub Club #2980
klt1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:21   #18
surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by klt1986 View Post
My LGS is a large LE dealer and they have been getting in a steady supply of Glocks. I have purchased a G17 G4, a G27 G4 and almost bought a G30S. All of these have been since late December 2012.
This is because most large distributors who do quantity have a continual supply of pistols on order. They do not wait for customer orders but rather just place orders throughout the year in quantities. Therefore dealers like your own are probably getting orders that were placed prior to the mad rush and will continue to get a steady supply because they continuously place orders without pistols being pre-sold. If you order something right now that was not previously on order already by your dealer months ago, there will more than likely be a significant wait time.

Last edited by surf; 03-10-2013 at 01:23..
Old 03-10-2013, 01:26   #19
surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLZIII View Post
In 2007, GLOCK hit the 5 million milestone (source). So if we over-estimate and say that GLOCK has made 1 million pistols a year since, then that leaves us round the 11 million mark. However, since the production wasn't that heavy until more recently, I'd have to guess around 9 million or so (likely with another million on backorder like we've been hearing). While that doesn't seem like a really large number (since things like the iPhone have sold over 250 million units), for gun sales it's absolutely amazing, especially since GLOCK only sells handguns. I have a feeling that we'll get a press release or something when GLOCK hits 10 million (just a guess).
Yes, Glock has never ramped up production rates as they have done in the last few months. Not even during the first election scare. So indeed the 1 million a year production rate only started a few months ago.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:15   #20
AustinTx

Quote:
Yes, Glock has never ramped up production rates as they have done in the last few months. Not even during the first election scare. So indeed the 1 million a year production rate only started a few months ago.
Before the current, run on Glocks, there was a previous run on Glocks. Glock started importing pistols, from Austria with the Austrian proof stamp, that were intended for non US sales. They also started making frames, in the US. I happen to have one, a 3 pin G34. The US made frames, that I have seen a pic of, have the famous upturned dust cover. It does no harm and prevents foreign material from entering the front of the pistol. They are now making complete guns, in the US, now. That's the production changes that I am aware of and don't know if it consisted of a "ramp up" or not.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote