Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2013, 17:37   #1
kurt.glock88

Glock 17 target loads

Hello all, first post here and new to forums in general. Anyhow I have a factory gen 4 glock 17 and I'm looking for very accurate target loads. I'm not competing or anything but I really get satisfaction from punching a 2" hole from fifty feet.

With ammo and components short here as I'm sure it is most everywhere I'm limited to my selection. I'm am usually able to find what I need for the most part due to the fact that I have 6 gun shops within 20 miles of my house. What I have on hand as of right now is bullseye powder, power pistol powder, cci 500 primers, fc brass, and Speer 124 grain fmj. Please help with any accurate loads you may know of with what I have on hand. I'm also interested in accurate loads using the same components listed but a different powder.

Please list the bullet and weight, powder and charge, primer, oal, and general accuracy out of the gun in which it was shot. Thanks for all the help in advance. I've heard great things about these forums.
kurt.glock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 18:09   #2
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt.glock88 View Post
Hello all, first post here and new to forums in general. Anyhow I have a factory gen 4 glock 17 and I'm looking for very accurate target loads. I'm not competing or anything but I really get satisfaction from punching a 2" hole from fifty feet.
Welcome to the forum. Getting a G17 to shoot 2" groups @ 50ft is easliy done with just about any powder/bullet combo. I find best accuracy w/ heavier bullets, buit good work can be done w/ 115gr. I don't load BE anymore, not since 1970s & PP is really not for lighter paper punching loads. I would start w/ book data for 147gr FMJ loads. Use avg middle data from 2-3 sources. Then adjust up or down to see how she shoots.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 18:24   #3
kurt.glock88

So typically a heavy bullet soft shooting load is for bullseye shooting? Will a 124 grain fmj rn do the trick with a slower powder? If so please recommend one. My closest shop now has green dot. Unique, clays, universal clays which of these would you recommend for my 124gr work up load?
Old 03-07-2013, 18:34   #4
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Power pistol works well with 124g FMJs. I use it for my simulated SD loads close to max at 6.5g but you can work up to something a little softer.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 18:40   #5
F106 Fan

You have a Gen 4 9mm so don't try to go too light. I don't have one so I don't KNOW what is required but, generally, the guns seem to work better at NATO power levels. That would be a 124 gr bullet moving around 1200 fps.

Just something to think about if your load tends to have failures to eject.

Richard
Old 03-07-2013, 19:33   #6
kurt.glock88

I've loaded some pretty light loads so far and I'm pleased to say not one hiccup with the gen 4.
Old 03-07-2013, 19:51   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent

I would use the Bullseye you already have. Use the minimum listed load you can find in published data and load a small batch. If they don't cycle the gun, you only have a dozen or so to deal with. You could even mix them in with workable ammo for malfunction drills.

I like 3.5 Bullseye with a 125 cast bullet. It cycles my Gen3 G17 perfectly and is very accurate. I wouldn't go that light with a jacketed bullet as they can stick in the bore and that is bad, very bad. A cast bullet can run at lower charges and not stick in the bore.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:48   #8
Chuckc

I have had good luck with 124 gr plated and/or jacked bullets and 4.2 gr of Beye with CCI primer and any case. Gets out the bbl of my G17's around 1050-1075 fps. Have used it in plate matches and GSSF matches.
I'm sure other powders will work as well or better but I just like the way Bullseye meters and an 8 lb. jug goes a long way.
Chuckc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:56   #9
Colorado4Wheel

Use what you got. It won't be that different if you just find the best load for what you got.
Old 03-07-2013, 22:58   #10
dougader

Before I switched to W231, I went through just a pound or two of BE. I ran 124's with 4.2 grains BE in a G17, and later, a G19 with good results. Standard pistol primers.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:15   #11
shotgunred
reloading nut

Nothing wrong with power pistol and 124's.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:51   #12
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

I'm using the G4/G17 as my primary IDPA gun this year and my G34 for 3-gun and USPSA.
Though admittedly skeptical at first because of all the internet hype about the recoils rod issues. I have had really good luck with my Gen 4 G17.
I broke it in with 500 rounds of 147 FP molys and WST (in a LWD threaded barrel) then switched over to a couple hundred 124 JHPs and Power Pistol, followed by 124/147 FMJ's with TG. My favorite load with it is the 147/TG runs really well with it.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:00   #13
JRWnTN

I've found that Remington 124 gr. JHPs and Winchester 147 gr. JHPs, using moderate loads of Unique and Win 231, were extremely accurate in my G17.
JRWnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 13:33   #14
Kentguy

kurt.glock88..."Please list the bullet and weight, powder and charge, primer, oal, and general accuracy out of the gun in which it was shot."

That a tall order there but I'll give you the reader's Digest version;
Just as a side note this was an email I received from Alliant powders about 3 years ago about what they recommend to use for 9mm loads;

Information From Alliant Powders: 9mm Luger*
115 grain Jacketed
Bullseye start 4 grains max 4.6 grains
Unique start 5 grains max 5.5 grains
Power Pistol start 5.5 grains 6.3 grains
124/125 grain Jacketed
Bullseye start 3.9 grains max 4.4 grains
Unique start 4.5 grains max 5 grains
Power Pistol start 5 grains max 5.5 grains
147 grain Jacketed
Unique start 4 grains max 4.5 grains
Power Pistol start 4.5 grains max 5 grains

Tested using Glock G17 (Gen. 3) - 124g FMJ RN
Burn rate chart - http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
Alliant Bullseye @ 3.8g
Winchester 231 @ 4.3g
Hodgdon Universal @ 4.8g
Alliant Power Pistol @ 6.2g
Winchester WSF @ 5.4g (using a 115g FMJ bullet)
Accurate Arms #5 @ 6.2g
Hodgdon HS6 @ 6.5g
Winchester Autocomp @ 5.0g

Now "accuracy" is sort of a relative term in my books, however all of the above powders/charge weights that I have tested produced a very manageable firing, fast re-acquisition of target, tight groups from both a seated gun rest as well as a standing free hand shooting position - from my G17 shooting from my hand.

As always - consult your load manuals, start low and work your way up. You will find where you and your Glock will hit that sweet spot of the best bullet/charge weight for you.

Good luck and be safe.

Last edited by Kentguy; 03-08-2013 at 13:35..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 23:00   #15
jbird7262
jbird

I'm running IMR 4756 5.1 gr. under a 115gr CPRN, WSP primers, mixed brass, COL .113-.114, mild crimp, they perform great! Have some 124gr LRN to try next.
jbird7262 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accuracy, bullseye, fmj, glock 17, target