Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2013, 16:49   #1
plouffedaddy

Smith & Wesson Sigma 40 S&W Review

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Sigma pistols have a mixed record among the shooting public with many saying they're complete garbage while others saying they're a great bang for your buck. Here's what I've found of them over the years as well as specifically the Sigma 40...

Pros:
-Price. These guns can be had for roughly $300 +- $50 even today
-Fairly accurate pistols. In terms of inherent accuracy, this gun groups around 3'' at 25 yards with most defensive ammo (seems to like 165gr loads)
-Reliability. I know some will (truthfully) report otherwise but every Sigma pistol I've laid my hands on has been very reliable.
-Easy to maintain
-Easy to field strip
-Good amount of aftermarket support
-14+1 capacity
-Smith & Wesson has excellent customer service
-Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably
-Ergonomic frame
-Trigger has a positive reset

Cons:
-Trigger. This has been slightly improved in the newer "SD" models but the Sigma trigger is heavy (this one around 9lbs) and has an overly long reset point. This really is the biggest "con" of the gun and ruins the gun for a lot of folks out there.
-The rail doesn't work with most modern lights/lasers. There are adaptors (as shown in the video) available however.

All in all it's a decent gun for shooters looking to not spend a lot of money but still have a reliable platform. Would it be my first choice? No, but there are worse options out there in my opinion.

Here's a video with a little shooting, disassembly/assembly of the pistol, a size comparison with other guns, and a discussion of the pros and cons of the pistol:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:32   #2
blastfact

I have a Sigma 9VE in my night stand right now. Folks can bag on them all they want. I like mine. Did some spring mods. Took the stones to the sear parts. Polished up the sides of the slide and feed ramp. And for the best feature. I got it on sale then the rebate at the time. $200.00 OTD. Dollar for Dollar the best pistol I've ever bought. It has never missed a lick.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:38   #3
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

My LGS was selling one, chambered in .357 Sig for....no joke....$650, about 4 years ago. Thier reasoning was that it was chambered in a rare cartridge for the gun type. I flat out told them that there was NO WAY that gun was worth even close to that much. They looked like they knew it, but was too embarrassed to admit it.
Old 03-07-2013, 21:54   #4
frankmako

i pickup up a used one many years ago in 40 s&w. trigger was bad. did a trigger job and now it is better. i use it as a range gun. never had any problems with it. it shoot everything every time i pull the trigger. not bad for a low price gun.
frankmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 22:48   #5
bac1023

Very cool

I have a Sigma in 9mm and love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:11   #6
datnvan

my first poly semi was a sigma in .40 and was absolutely reliable to 1k plus rounds. trigger was stiff as everyone knows. but u know what? i think that gun taught me some valuable lessons about trigger control. i really can shoot any trigger, be it double or single action, pretty well. not a bad gun for less than $350, but there are so many better options for a little more $.
Old 03-07-2013, 23:46   #7
mixflip

I picked up a SW40VE a few years back for only $150 used from a friend. Loved it. It did everything my Glocks did. I actually regret selling it. I did a review of it also. As a matter of fact I compared it to my Glocks in my review lol.

Last edited by mixflip; 03-07-2013 at 23:46..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:43   #8
snubfan
Giant Member

I do not own one but have friends that do. I think they are a good gun and I've recommended them to people that want a relialbe but economical(cheap) pistol for the home.

snubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:30   #9
striker6126

I own both 9mm and .40 and have not had any problems with either of them.
striker6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:01   #10
fwm

Preaching to the choir here.

Had to buy one for my wife as she kept putting mine on her side of the bed.

Everyone that has ever been shooting with mine has gone straight to the gun store and bought one for themselves.
Son, father in-law, brother, cousin. Shoot, I ought to be getting kickbacks as I have sold so many 40VEs for S&W.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33   #11
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
Preaching to the choir here.

Had to buy one for my wife as she kept putting mine on her side of the bed.

Everyone that has ever been shooting with mine has gone straight to the gun store and bought one for themselves.
Son, father in-law, brother, cousin. Shoot, I ought to be getting kickbacks as I have sold so many 40VEs for S&W.
I had to do that with a lightweight AR I built. My wife tried it and took it to her side of the bed then told me---this one's mine now

I guess having an excuse to build another AR or buy another handgun is never bad though

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:50   #12
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Sigma pistols have a mixed record among the shooting public with many saying they're complete garbage while others saying they're a great bang for your buck. Here's what I've found of them over the years as well as specifically the Sigma 40...

Pros:
-Price. These guns can be had for roughly $300 +- $50 even today
-Fairly accurate pistols. In terms of inherent accuracy, this gun groups around 3'' at 25 yards with most defensive ammo (seems to like 165gr loads)
-Reliability. I know some will (truthfully) report otherwise but every Sigma pistol I've laid my hands on has been very reliable.
-Easy to maintain
-Easy to field strip
-Good amount of aftermarket support
-14+1 capacity
-Smith & Wesson has excellent customer service
-Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably
-Ergonomic frame
-Trigger has a positive reset

Cons:
-Trigger. This has been slightly improved in the newer "SD" models but the Sigma trigger is heavy (this one around 9lbs) and has an overly long reset point. This really is the biggest "con" of the gun and ruins the gun for a lot of folks out there.
-The rail doesn't work with most modern lights/lasers. There are adaptors (as shown in the video) available however.

All in all it's a decent gun for shooters looking to not spend a lot of money but still have a reliable platform. Would it be my first choice? No, but there are worse options out there in my opinion.

Here's a video with a little shooting, disassembly/assembly of the pistol, a size comparison with other guns, and a discussion of the pros and cons of the pistol:

Smith & Wesson Sigma 40 S&W Review (HD) - YouTube
The one pictured looks like it has a case of the pignose like a Glock.
Old 03-09-2013, 18:43   #13
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
My LGS was selling one, chambered in .357 Sig for....no joke....$650, about 4 years ago. Thier reasoning was that it was chambered in a rare cartridge for the gun type. I flat out told them that there was NO WAY that gun was worth even close to that much. They looked like they knew it, but was too embarrassed to admit it.
Those were all made sub 2K and there are only 1000 of them out there. It is a rare gun in that there are only 1000 of them, but since it's a Sigma worth no more than 300-350 LNIB.

I love the Sigma and have three of them.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16   #14
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Great review!
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:19   #15
WATT

Sigma 40 was the first gun I bought. I hated it. I sold it and bought a G19 ASAP. And don't regret it. That was about 9 yrs ago and I now realize I was def limp wristing it and I could have improved the trigger. But I still don't regret selling it to buy a Glock. IMO the extra cash spent on a Glock is well worth it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
WATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:32   #16
tuica

Another great review, keep it up. I had my used Sigma's worn ejector replaced by S&W, and they performed a great job. They even replaced the rear sights without request!

Great shooter now, reliable so far, and paid $219 for it, as it was a bit scuffed up. Good work with a Dremel tool polished that right up! Cheers.
Old 03-10-2013, 15:43   #17
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATT View Post
Sigma 40 was the first gun I bought. I hated it. I sold it and bought a G19 ASAP. And don't regret it. That was about 9 yrs ago and I now realize I was def limp wristing it and I could have improved the trigger. But I still don't regret selling it to buy a Glock. IMO the extra cash spent on a Glock is well worth it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Well if I had to pick between 1 Glock, or one Sigma. I probably would have taken the Glock too. Though I own quite a few Glocks, I carry a 40 Sigma every day.

I don't know there is something I like about a 350 dollar Glock copy. Derided by many. The lowly Sigma is only now within the last few years, getting any kind of respect.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:34   #18
frank_drebin
1-man flash mob

I traded one of my G19's for a new SW9ve and $300. Used the $300 plus another $50 to buy a Gen 2 G19 3 days later. So I basically paid $50 for mine
frank_drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 15:02   #19
ZO6Vettever

I carried a 9VE for a couple years and wifey wanted one becaused she liked it too. She carried hers for a couple years and wanted something a little smaller. She got a G26 and I a G30 that have taken over EDC duty a little over a year ago. The Sigma's were great self defense weapons. I polished the hell out of the sear and trigger bar and it smoothed out the pull and even lightened it a little (very little) but did nothing for the long pull or reset. They were both zero malf and great guns with about 4000 rounds between them and don't deserve the bad rap they have from Glock owners in general. Keep in mind these weapons NIB were $239. and $249. each when G17's were selling for $425.

Remember, we're all on the same side!

Army Vet Dec 1965 - Dec 1971
ZO6Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 16:27   #20
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I wish I could find new Glocks around here for 4 and a quarter.
My last one was 499 on special NIB. One of the G17's I bought a decade ago was 519 new.