Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2013, 16:27   #1
TravismPGA

Ruger SR9 vs. Glock 19... Opinions

Noob here, lots of experience with long guns and scatterguns but am looking to pick up my first auto pistol shortly. With glock being back ordered until may in my LGS, the guy there suggested the SR9 as an option. Who here has shot the gun and how did you like it? This will be a range gun, bedside gun, and carry gun (eventually). Any opinions are welcome, but I can have one in 2 weeks as opposed to two months if I wait for glock.
TravismPGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 16:27   #2
TravismPGA

Sorry- SR9 will be here in 2 weeks... Glock- 2 months min.
Old 03-07-2013, 16:42   #3
tuoinside

I have both... wait the two months.
Old 03-07-2013, 16:45   #4
TravismPGA

haha care to expound? I already know I don't like the frame safety on the SR9
Old 03-07-2013, 19:05   #5
donmor53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuoinside View Post
I have both... wait the two months.

^^^ This!^^^

I have several Rugers AND Glocks so I'm certainly no Ruger basher BUT...in this case? There's no comparison...

Unless your life is in danger and you need something fast...get (or wait for if necessary for) the Glock...
donmor53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:12   #6
tuoinside

I too have multiple glocks and rugers... so not much fanboyism I hope. However, it always comes back to your need of use in making your decision. Here is a short list of things that stand out to me.

Things I like about the Glock:

- It's a Glock
- Have been around way longer than SR9
- More streamlined profile: no external safeties, gadgets, bevels, etc. It just seems and feels more smooth and "de-horned" when using, carrying, etc. the firearm. I always seem to catch my fat thumbs or fingers on the external safety and other parts that seem to get in the way of manipulating the weapon
- Same platform as a majority of all my other pistols
- Availability of Parts
- Finish is durable and easy to maintain

Things I don't like about the SR9
- Magazine disconnect safety (won't fire without a mag in it). There could be a situation where you are chambered and ready to go. For whatever reason, you have no mag in the pistol, you will not be able to fire the round.
- Dry fire practice is also hindered by the magazine disconnect. It would seem as if you are recommended to dry fire with a magazine in the firearm. There is something that rubs me the wrong way about dry fire requiring a magazine be in the pistol... whether or not it is empty or not.
- It has adjustable sights. This would normally be an advantage. However, I have never needed to adjust sights on a basic service type pistol. It would probably be used as home defense, personal defense, or a plinker. Glock's standard sights are fine for this... and I also find their stock 'U' sights easier to acquire than the more fine and smaller adjustables on the SR9.

Things I DO like about the SR9
- It's trigger feels LIKE a Glock.
- It's a bit cheaper than a Glock (if I remember correctly)

Your mileage may vary. SR9 is still a fine pistol, and I have never had any issues with it. I just prefer the Glock for reasons mentioned above. I still feel like I am forgetting something. Well, I will revisit if I remember more...

Last edited by tuoinside; 03-07-2013 at 20:18..
tuoinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:16   #7
tuoinside

Also re-read your original post. Because you are considering eventual carry... I will add another notch for the Glock.

Holster availability and selection for the Glock will be greatly larger than for the Ruger. Also, a lot of Glock holsters are made to be interchangeable with other Glocks in the same platform. IE: either my subcompact or compact can each ride in the same comp-tac mtac holster. When you get in to buying quality holsters, not having to spend $100 each time you buy a new gun is something to take note of.

This site is great for CC info as well, when you are ready to cross that bridge. Feel free to hit me up if you need any help getting started!
Old 03-07-2013, 20:19   #8
Green Mountain Boy

There is a reason Glock is so far behind.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:20   #9
Green Mountain Boy

Have you considered uses?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:36   #10
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravismPGA View Post
Noob here, lots of experience with long guns and scatterguns but am looking to pick up my first auto pistol shortly. With glock being back ordered until may in my LGS, the guy there suggested the SR9 as an option. Who here has shot the gun and how did you like it? This will be a range gun, bedside gun, and carry gun (eventually). Any opinions are welcome, but I can have one in 2 weeks as opposed to two months if I wait for glock.
I owned both, and got rid of the G19. Brass to the face. My SR9C has been flawless so far. Took me 30 seconds to remove the mag safety. The Ruger has a far better trigger to me. All spent brass to my 3:00. I love mine so far.
Old 03-07-2013, 20:49   #11
Scrappy

Once you go Glock, you never go back!
Get the Glock
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:02   #12
Cole125
Silver Membership

+1 on waiting for the Glock.

If you don't mind a manual safety, the SR9 is not a bad gun. Parts and magazines will be harder to find, keep that in mind.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:04   #13
ditto1958

I'd buy them both. If you can't afford to keep both of them, once you have them both in hand and can decide which one you like more, sell the other one.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:33   #14
Gary1911A1

Granted Glock has been around longer, but is there a major LE Department that issues the SR9? None I know of and I'm sure there are good reasons for that. Good enough to wait the 2 months on the Glock 19.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:01   #15
ditto1958

Another thing. The grip on the SR9 is closer in size to the G17. SR9 mag capacity is same as G17. The SR9 and the G19 do not really match up exactly. You are sort of comparing apples and oranges.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03   #16
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
Granted Glock has been around longer, but is there a major LE Department that issues the SR9? None I know of and I'm sure there are good reasons for that. Good enough to wait the 2 months on the Glock 19.
There are many fine weapons makers that don't court the LE market. Glock is the 800lb gorilla when it comes to LE sales. They are more than willing to give their guns to LE to make money re-selling their trade-ins.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:25   #17
Redheadhunter21

Go glock, ruger is good but glock is proven to work as a carry gun. If there was no chance at carrying I would say if you wanted to save money you could. Don't forget with a glock pretty much every shop has stuff for it and if they don't its cause there sold out.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Redheadhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:35   #18
Clusterfrack

Only have time for quick thoughts:

4 gen 4 Glocks with 15000 rounds and no brass to the face.

I prefer a standard that will be around in 10 years. Never considered a Ruger. M&P, HK, CZ--yes.

Not many in law enforcement or military using the Ruger.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:20   #19
TravismPGA

Thanks for the opinions and insight guys, looks like I'll hang tight and get a g19. CC is high on my short list after receiving proper training of course.
Old 03-08-2013, 13:19   #20
Lvs1935

You would be hard pressed to find a better pistol than the Glock. Ruger makes many fine guns but in this case it's not even close.
Lvs1935 is offline   Reply With Quote