Old 03-08-2013, 17:00   #326
rytlewski

Nothing. Dig?
rytlewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 17:29   #327
FLGatorFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezthumper View Post
You now, if Dave Thomas was aborted...we would not have Wendy's.

Just sayin'
What if there was a guy that would've hit Dave Thomas with a bus but he got aborted?
FLGatorFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 17:33   #328
ezthumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorFan View Post
What if there was a guy that would've hit Dave Thomas with a bus but he got aborted?
Dude, you are going to drive me to drink.

As a matter of fact, it is Friday, I am off, Crown Royal incoming.
ezthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 17:37   #329
ezthumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goose View Post
Where did i say "lucky"?
Yes sir you are correct, my apologies, what I read and what my brain interpreted were two completely different things.
ezthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 18:12   #330
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post

This is also awesome, This guy says his posts are void of "feelings" yet his argument is, " because he knows me" (of course based on his feelings)

You are being true to your posting style - trying to use logic. Or is this the non sequitur.

And you haven't addressed what I wrote.

Knowing something (like how to read) is not a feeling.

Your increased use of the emoticons don't help you case either - it just shows the weakness in what you write.

Last edited by Dexters; 03-08-2013 at 18:15..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 18:17   #331
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
You are being true to your posting style - trying to use logic. Or is this the non sequitur.

Your increased use of the emoticons don't help you case either - it just shows the weakness in what you write.
I dont have a clue what you are trying to say.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 19:42   #332
Happy Hunting

Back to the topic:

I have tried to align my beliefs with all that is conservative now, but I am still more of a libertarian who believes in talking softly and carrying a big stick.
Things I disagree with that liberals do:

Don't call for banning guns with laws and then have twenty friends who are selling pot.

Don't call for shaming and labeling Obama's detractors and after you burned effigies of Bush in 2007.

Don't call for amnesty for illegals and then complain when that person takes your low-skill job for less money.

Don't dress or behave in a way as to intentionally make normal (mainstream) people uncomfortable and then complain when those people will never go out of their way to help you.

Don't maintain lowered standards for groups of people based on their skin color and then call someone racist for noticing.

Boiled down to its essence: Don't be a hypocrite by preaching tolerance while suppressing dissent.

Problems I have with the (big r) Republican party:

Don't say "Just leave me alone!" to the government men and then impose your beliefs on others through legislation enough people agree with you to pass it.
This includes marijuana, gay marriage, abortion...
Happy Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 20:53   #333
mrstrau

I have a few liberal leaning ideas. I don't really consider them too liberal, just sensible. I lean most towards libertarian, politically at least.

Gay marriage being one. I don't think that my straight relationship will be affected by anyone being gay. I really don't care, I've had a few friends who are gay, and they are great people.

Marijuana legalization. I know that may make some gasp on this board, but seriously. Do some research. It's at least better than tobacco and alcohol, and that kills hundreds of thousands a year.

Fiscal regulation, although I'm not sure if that's really "liberal". I think some politicians, bankers and corporations are entirely crooked, and the income distribution is so unequal in this country it's ridiculous. We can do better.

The welfare system, although I hate the current one. It needs to be reformed and changed. I don't believe that people in need should just get cash handouts at the expense of hardworking, taxpaying americans, trust me, I'm one of them. But I do think there is enough tax revenue to at least maybe set up some programs that can help people escape poverty, such as free education or trade programs, or other various self improvement programs that they would otherwise be unable to access. On the flip side, everyone should have access to free education. As they say, the world needs ditch diggers too.

There aren't really many more. Constitutionally, I'm very conservative.

I'm not particularly religious either.
Old 03-08-2013, 21:21   #334
sawgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Cicero View Post
Absolutely none.

In fact, I think the gov't should have NO involvement in marriage whatsoever. If the gov't insists on a piece of the pie, it should be a civil union pie. Everyone can get a gov't approved and licensed civil union with whomever or whatever the hell they want. Or they can just shack up. Then if your church wants to perform marriage ceremonies for gays, or polygamists, fine. They can. if they don't, also fine. Mine won't, and you cannot make it. But there are many that will, and you can always start another one. Everyone gets what they want. Problem is solved. Why the heck is that so hard?

I'm sick to death of GLBT "rights" issues. You HAVE all the same rights I do right now. If you want to staple your eyebrows and run a chain from your nose to your ear, tattoo your face, pierce your tongue, and wear clothing in public that is usually seen on the bodies of the opposite gender, fine. Do so. But don't complain to me that there are consequences for all these ACTIONS. Permanent physical characteristics deserve legal protections (race, gender, handicap), but voluntary actions do not. If I want to wear a dress and long nails, then I shouldn't be applying for work as a lineman. If I want to wear a hijab, then I shouldn't be applying for work at Hooters. I don't go seeking public approval for the things Mr.C&I entertain ourselves doing in private. It's self-defeating for the GLBT crowd to be so hung up and needy about getting everyone to approve of their peccadilloes. They'd get farther coming up with a rational, well-reasoned argument for why I should approve of their lifestyle, instead of saying, "Mommy Gov't says you have to play with me."

Government is a poor excuse for God. The larger it gets, the more intrusive and evil it becomes, eventually stealing free will from citizens, and turning them into subjects, and ultimately into slaves. I neither need nor want the approval of the government for my actions, choices, possessions, or life. I accept that there are consequences to my actions, both public and private, and you can have my guns when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.
If Mr. C dies I'm assuming you will get his complete pension. If he should need long term care I believe you can keep your primary residence until your death.

My Partner and I are both college faculty, at the same college. IIRC Mr. C is faculty as well. If one of us croaks the survivor does not receive the 'matched' portion of the pension, no SS benefits, unable to keep our primary residence if one becomes ill.

Mrs. C. I honestly haven't ever been more disappointed in a post on GT. BTW, no piercings, no tats, and you might not even know that I'm a lesbian unless I told you. But my guns are blue, and my ammo brass.

Good Grief.

ETA: It's funny while the Republican's blast gay rights, many gays like myself feel like we are being held hostage by the Dems since currently they are our only hope.

Last edited by sawgrass; 03-08-2013 at 22:36..
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 21:59   #335
brisk21

legal pot.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 22:25   #336
fg17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofthose View Post
There are a liberal issues that I am sympathetic to, right up to the point that I am expected to pay for it.

It seems to me, many liberal causes start based on the argument that people should be free to pursue, have, or do certain things. Then, it's realized that some people either can't afford it, or can't afford the resulting consequences.

Then I'm expected to fund a program that makes it affordable for everyone. That doesn't sound like freedom to me.
I used to get mad about some of the social programs we are expected to pay for, But then I started looking at the billions and billions we as country are giving out in foreign aid each year and suddenly I didnt mind helping out our fellow citizens so much. Yes many dont deserve it, but nothings perfect.
fg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 22:31   #337
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf8634 View Post
And if we just booted the government out of marriage completely we could have a government that was a wee bit smaller.

Jus sayin..........
Our $16 trillion debt didn't come from issuing marriage licenses.
Old 03-08-2013, 22:33   #338
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
The size of government isn't measured solely on budgets or number of people employed. The more restrictions a government has, the "bigger" it is.
You're really reaching. By that reasoning our government in 1795 (infinitesimally smaller than today's) was really big government because they didn't allow gays to marry?
Old 03-08-2013, 22:41   #339
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post
...many gays like myself feel like we are being held hostage by the Dems since currently they are our only hope.

Hope for what? I think you have a distorted view of the raison d'ętre of the Government. It is not to make one feel "good" or "accepted".

Quote:
A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circlue of our felicities.

Thos. Jefferson
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 22:41   #340
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post

Dude...

Take your head outside and smack it into a brick wall. And, again. And, again. And, again...

Did you accomplish the same thing...?

Don't webfight with the master!

He's not a bad guy.

Just, inconvincible.

eta: legal pot ::schwing!!::

Last edited by Huaco Kid; 03-08-2013 at 22:44..
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 22:42   #341
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
You're really reaching. By that reasoning our government in 1795 (infinitesimally smaller than today's) was really big government because they didn't allow gays to marry?
There were no federal laws on marriage at that time that I know about, perhaps you could post a link.

Your logic is also extremely flawed. All else being equal, a government that regulates marriage is "bigger" than one that doesn't. That doesn't mean a government that doesn't recognize gay marriage is bigger than one that does or that it would be considered a "big government" on the whole. It only means that that it's bigger than it would be if it did recognize them.

Last edited by HarlDane; 03-08-2013 at 22:46..
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 22:58   #342
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Hope for what? I think you have a distorted view of the raison d'ętre of the Government. It is not to make one feel "good" or "accepted".
What's she's saying is that the Republicans are trying to continue the suppression of the rights of her and her partner. The Democrats are fighting to restore those same rights that all other American's have when it comes to spousal rights.

She feels trapped because the only folks trying to restore one set of rights are, at the same time, trying to restrict others.

If you don't understand that, then I'm sorry to say there's probably no help for you. Whether you AGREE with it or not, you should at least be able to understand it.

Sawgrass, I'm sorry for the position politics has put you in. I don't wanna be too cliche, but you've got my respect for having the nerve to make your case on this particular forum, because there are some SERIOUSLY small-minded people around here.

Kudos.
Old 03-08-2013, 23:02   #343
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg17 View Post
I used to get mad about some of the social programs we are expected to pay for, But then I started looking at the billions and billions we as country are giving out in foreign aid each year and suddenly I didnt mind helping out our fellow citizens so much.
We give out in the neighborhood of $50B a year in foreign aid.

Social Security cost over $700B last year.

Like it or not, foreign aid simply doesn't move the needle. Social Security and Medicare are the spend buckets that matter.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 23:04   #344
TX OMFS
Right wing nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Seems like she was saying hope for same financial treatment as a married heterosexual couple.

She probably also meant that if she and her partner can't marry and be treated exactly like a heterosexual couple then they don't feel entirely accepted or equal to a heterosexual couple. If our laws represent the people at large then our laws and our government probably due affect whether she feels good or accepted

I'm against gay marriage but I understood what she said. I can also understand why she feels the way she feels.
Old 03-08-2013, 23:43   #345
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
I find this interesting - In some states, when a pregnant woman is murdered, the person is charged with a double murder. A "fetus" is not a person in the very same states.

Read - Laci Peterson
Good observation, and interesting indeed.

It leads us to conclude that in those states ultimately the pergnant woman gets to profess and declare whether the baby in her womb is a thing (anatomical property) or a human being.
Old 03-09-2013, 00:04   #346
ArtCrafter
¤Hocker Mocker¤

What are the "left/liberal" things you get?

'Free Sex' . . .

<--- WISHFUL Thinker . . .

Last edited by ArtCrafter; 03-09-2013 at 00:06.. Reason: Clarification adled.
ArtCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 00:10   #347
Taphius

[quote=ArtCrafter;20071473]'Free Sex' . . .

As big of a lie as social security

Last edited by Taphius; 03-09-2013 at 00:11..
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 00:18   #348
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco Kid View Post
They talk-the-talk AND walk-the-walk.
One brother hated Bush soooo much that he ...

America, Love It, Or, Leave It...

He moved to Poland for eight years.

He's back now. He like our Presbo.

If our team had that much steam...
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 00:35   #349
JMS

Quote:
Mrs. C. I honestly haven't ever been more disappointed in a post on GT.
Don't let one rotten appleseed/hayseed ruin GT for you. She's stuck in the era of bare foot and pregnant. Whether by true choice or the heavy handed influence of her husband, who knows?

Last edited by JMS; 03-09-2013 at 00:37..
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 00:57   #350
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
If Mr. C dies I'm assuming you will get his complete pension. If he should need long term care I believe you can keep your primary residence until your death.

My Partner and I are both college faculty, at the same college. IIRC Mr. C is faculty as well. If one of us croaks the survivor does not receive the 'matched' portion of the pension, no SS benefits, unable to keep our primary residence if one becomes ill.

Mrs. C. I honestly haven't ever been more disappointed in a post on GT. BTW, no piercings, no tats, and you might not even know that I'm a lesbian unless I told you. But my guns are blue, and my ammo brass.

Good Grief.

ETA: It's funny while the Republican's blast gay rights, many gays like myself feel like we are being held hostage by the Dems since currently they are our only hope.
Its none of the govts business who sleeps with whom as long as they are both consenting.

Its a very simple way I look at it.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote