GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06   #1
meathead19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: greenville, SC
Posts: 2,633
Glad I got a 20 gauge

As I went to my local Wally world and all they had were 20 ga slugs, some birdshot and some 7mm rds. No 12 ga of anything.

So, I bought 3 boxes of Winchester 20 ga rifled slugs 3/4 oz. $5/box. Has a picture of a deer on the front. So, I guess they'd do for self defense if need be.

They also had the Remington value pack.....15 5/8 oz slugs for $12.00.

Any difference between the 5/8 oz and 3/4 oz slugs except the amount of lead? One better for SD/HD?
meathead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50   #2
gatorboy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,920
It's like the difference between a 180 and a 165 gr. bullet. All other things being equal, not much. Buy both and see which is more accurate. For HD, stick with 00 or 000 buck shot.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:04   #3
meathead19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: greenville, SC
Posts: 2,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
It's like the difference between a 180 and a 165 gr. bullet. All other things being equal, not much. Buy both and see which is more accurate. For HD, stick with 00 or 000 buck shot.
I do have several #3 buckshot boxes, but didn't know they made anything bigger than #3 for 20 ga.
meathead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:19   #4
gatorboy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead19 View Post
I do have several #3 buckshot boxes, but didn't know they made anything bigger than #3 for 20 ga.
Oh, I'm pretty sure they do. It's been a long time since I dug my 20 guage out but I'll check. I bought five boxes of everything I could find online when I first purchased it. The 000 may be 3" only but I'm almost certain they load it all, just less of it. I remember for HD, the BS without the copper coating was better for indoors in terms of overpenetration. Though again, the difference is minimal.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08   #5
gatorboy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,920
You may be right, I dug through my ammo boxes and 2 buck is the heaviest I could find. It's Federal Premium 2.75
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 14:22   #6
Adamz04
Senior Member
 
Adamz04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 575
According to VP Biden all you need for self defense is a shotgun. So your good to go. Just don't forget to go outside and fire a couple warning shots into the air first. What an idiot.
__________________
Love god, love people, work hard
Adamz04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 14:46   #7
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead19 View Post
As I went to my local Wally world and all they had were 20 ga slugs, some birdshot and some 7mm rds. No 12 ga of anything.

So, I bought 3 boxes of Winchester 20 ga rifled slugs 3/4 oz. $5/box. Has a picture of a deer on the front. So, I guess they'd do for self defense if need be.

They also had the Remington value pack.....15 5/8 oz slugs for $12.00.

Any difference between the 5/8 oz and 3/4 oz slugs except the amount of lead? One better for SD/HD?
Seems to me that the 20-ga slugs would work quite well for SD.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 00:56   #8
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy
 
Glock19Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,970
Either slug would work, but I would go with the 5/8 ounce. IIRC its moving around 1800 FPS and at that velocity lead doesnt stand a change of holding together.

However, I would recommend buckshot for SD/HD. Although my 20 gauge is far from my primary HD weapon, I keep it loaded with #3 Buckshot (Twenty .25 caliber pellets). Pretty devastating load and is one of the more common and easy to find loads. The copper loaded loads seem to get slightly more penetration, but are more expensive.
__________________
Never mistake Kindness for Weakness
Glock19Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39   #9
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
Either slug would work, but I would go with the 5/8 ounce. IIRC its moving around 1800 FPS and at that velocity lead doesnt stand a change of holding together.

However, I would recommend buckshot for SD/HD. Although my 20 gauge is far from my primary HD weapon, I keep it loaded with #3 Buckshot (Twenty .25 caliber pellets). Pretty devastating load and is one of the more common and easy to find loads. The copper loaded loads seem to get slightly more penetration, but are more expensive.
That #3 buckshot is pretty good.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:06   #10
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember
 
Short Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Above ground
Posts: 17,786


It looks like #3 Buck Shot is pretty much thee defensive load out there. You think the ammo makers just sell so much less 20 Ga defensive ammo than 12 and that's why there are a lot less loads to choose from? I found several manufacturers, but they all offered basically the same thing.

Any comments on the round? I'd be using strictly 2.75" rounds.
__________________
GT Charter Life Member 88

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:07   #11
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember
 
Short Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Above ground
Posts: 17,786


Just thought it was odd that the big makers all had #3, but not 2, 1, or 00. The #3 has 20 pellets in 2.75". I wouldn't mind checking out something larger with like a dozen pellets per shell. I'm thinking there must be some reason why #3 has become the selected HD round.
__________________
GT Charter Life Member 88

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:17   #12
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
Just thought it was odd that the big makers all had #3, but not 2, 1, or 00. The #3 has 20 pellets in 2.75". I wouldn't mind checking out something larger with like a dozen pellets per shell. I'm thinking there must be some reason why #3 has become the selected HD round.
Yes, I wonder why the ammo makers do not make a larger buckshot load for the 20ga?
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 14:08   #13
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy
 
Glock19Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Yes, I wonder why the ammo makers do not make a larger buckshot load for the 20ga?
I dont have the answer, but to be honest I think #3 is a great compromise between the number of pellets, size, and penetration. 20 pellets weighs over an ounce, and with the velocity being in the 1200-1300 FPS range it is very comparable energy wise to many 12 gauge loads.

It would be nice to have a common 00 buckshot load in 20 gauge, but I wouldnt see it holding more than 5-7 pellets and I think the manufacturers believe they are better off loading a higher number of smaller pellets in the 20 gauge shell.
__________________
Never mistake Kindness for Weakness
Glock19Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 18:32   #14
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
I dont have the answer, but to be honest I think #3 is a great compromise between the number of pellets, size, and penetration. 20 pellets weighs over an ounce, and with the velocity being in the 1200-1300 FPS range it is very comparable energy wise to many 12 gauge loads.

It would be nice to have a common 00 buckshot load in 20 gauge, but I wouldnt see it holding more than 5-7 pellets and I think the manufacturers believe they are better off loading a higher number of smaller pellets in the 20 gauge shell.
I think that you have it right. The narrower 20-ga shell needs a smaller buckshot pellet size.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 19:36   #15
gatorboy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,920
There is 2 out there. I'd choose it over 3 if obtainable just for more penetration and better pattern without resorting to slugs. Slugs would'nt be my first choice when 44 mag and 45 Colt and the longer stroke calibers are available in lever guns with 2-3X the capacity of an average pump shotty with the benefit of a rifled barrel. I like a slug at the top of the mag tube for a last resort. Otherwise, does'nt a slug defeat the purpose of a room or hallway distance shotty? I believe it does. My 44 mag lever holds 10+1, my 20 guage 4+1. I have higher capacity semi-auto 12 guages but they're night/day to a light, handy 20 guage pump.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 20:12   #16
JimIsland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Charleston,SC
Posts: 983
I know nothing about slugs.can I shoot them out of my stock remington 870? I have been trying to find federal power shock 3" buckshot in 20gauge for several months to no avail :(
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 20:31   #17
gatorboy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,920
The stock choke allows for slug use. You can try them for accuracy with and without it installed (suggested). The stock choke is'nt very restrictive so the smaller the buck/shot, the tighter the choke you'll want unless it's at room distance. Look up available choke's and suggested loads for your 870. Three chokes are more than enough for SD, two should do it.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 20:56   #18
JimIsland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Charleston,SC
Posts: 983
perfect thanks.
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 14:54   #19
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
There is 2 out there. I'd choose it over 3 if obtainable just for more penetration and better pattern without resorting to slugs. Slugs would'nt be my first choice when 44 mag and 45 Colt and the longer stroke calibers are available in lever guns with 2-3X the capacity of an average pump shotty with the benefit of a rifled barrel. I like a slug at the top of the mag tube for a last resort. Otherwise, does'nt a slug defeat the purpose of a room or hallway distance shotty? I believe it does. My 44 mag lever holds 10+1, my 20 guage 4+1. I have higher capacity semi-auto 12 guages but they're night/day to a light, handy 20 guage pump.
I wonder - are 20ga shotguns lighter and handier than 12ga SGs?
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 15:04   #20
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I wonder - are 20ga shotguns lighter and handier than 12ga SGs?
Yes they generally are made on lighter frames.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 13:55   #21
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Yes they generally are made on lighter frames.
I guess that here could be less mass in the receiver.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 23:54   #22
collim1
Shower Time!
 
collim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 9,962
I load my HD shotgun with 12g 27 pellet #4 buck. The 20 pellet #3 buck is pretty comparable to that. At HD distances I wouldn't worry about having larger shot, the #3 load will work just fine.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 17:50   #23
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I load my HD shotgun with 12g 27 pellet #4 buck. The 20 pellet #3 buck is pretty comparable to that. At HD distances I wouldn't worry about having larger shot, the #3 load will work just fine.
Your opponents will have a very hard time avoiding your buckshot blasts, that's for sure.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:37.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,229
396 Members
833 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42