Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:11   #21
bac1023

Very nice Steve

The Blackhawk is, by far, my favorite Ruger revolver and one of my favorite revolvers of all time.

The DA Rugers just seem really clunky and crude by comparison.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:14   #22
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I am voting for the Blackhawk Convertible too. GP100 and 686 are a dime a dozen. Snoozefest!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:16   #23
MajorD

Smiths tend to have better triggers and accuracy. I am a smith fan!
I would choose any k l or n frame ( I prefer the lighter k's but shoot mostly 38's out of them any way. Good shooting can be done with a four inch but the extra sight radius of the six is helpful past 25 yards while taking the gun out of consideration for most types of concealed carry. I have had smiths with the l
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:17   #24
MajorD

thousands of rounds without issue but plenty of used non lock smiths are around easily in your price range if that bothers u
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18   #25
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
Smiths tend to have better triggers and accuracy. I am a smith fan!
The triggers are not even close, in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:31   #26
CBennett

I will go off the beaten path and say look for a Dan Wesson revolver well within your range you MAY be able to find a whole Pistol pack for $700 with the 2"/4" and 6" barrels in it(would be close though) Great shooters, heavy duty built, can get them full or 1/2 lug...vent barrels..lots of different styles/options. I also love the Blackhawks. I came VERY close to getting one B4 I found the Dan Wesson revolver.

Both of those guns cost me $500 meaning together one was $225 the other $270(with the wrenches and barrel shim included in the $270)

best part is i can take the barrel off one and swap it to the other I can make it into a snubby..I can buy a heavy 12-15" barrel for it...lots of versatility to be had.

Last edited by CBennett; 05-08-2013 at 16:15..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:35   #27
Baba Louie

Quote:
Are there any other brands I should consider?
If you don't rule out used, DW 15-2s can certainly do the job filling that void, just to name an alternate mfg.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38   #28
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Nobody mentioned the Coonan, it is .357. But it is not a revolver, and it is out of your price range too so it is just as well it wasn't brought up till now.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:43   #29
nathanours
Texan

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. And Bac, thanks for the pics. I go hiking up in the Bob Marshall in Montana and there are grizzlies up there so I'd like the gun to be able to take some of the Buffalo Bore heavy loads. I'm not at all opposed to the older Smith K guns if I can get something in stainless that can handle the newest 357 loads well. I don't mind half-lug either as long as it looks nice. What Smith models should I be searching for? There is quite a bit out there that seems like it would do the job, the trick is finding it right now.

My uncle has the Dan Wesson mentioned and it's a great gun. He only has the 6" barrel and I've only fired 38 special out of his. I've not seen any of them around for sale though.

Black Rifle Club #1989

Last edited by nathanours; 03-06-2013 at 09:44..
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:50   #30
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
My uncle has the Dan Wesson mentioned and it's a great gun. He only has the 6" barrel and I've only fired 38 special out of his. I've not seen any of them around for sale though.
Dan Wesson does build a great revolver as well. This one is a SuperMag chambered in 357 Maximum. It also shoots 357 Mag and 38 Special.

They are cool revolvers

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Old 03-06-2013, 11:36   #31
nathanours
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullman View Post
Nobody mentioned the Coonan, it is .357. But it is not a revolver, and it is out of your price range too so it is just as well it wasn't brought up till now.
Ya I'd love a Coonan haha. I'm kind of interested in a revolver though since I'd like to learn to shoot them really well and already have quite a few semi-autos.

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 03-06-2013, 11:44   #32
bac1023

Quote:
Ya I'd love a Coonan haha. I'm kind of interested in a revolver though since I'd like to learn to shoot them really well and already have quite a few semi-autos.
The Coonan is an awesome pistol though.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by bac1023; 03-06-2013 at 11:46..
Old 03-06-2013, 11:58   #33
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. And Bac, thanks for the pics. I go hiking up in the Bob Marshall in Montana and there are grizzlies up there so I'd like the gun to be able to take some of the Buffalo Bore heavy loads. I'm not at all opposed to the older Smith K guns if I can get something in stainless that can handle the newest 357 loads well. I don't mind half-lug either as long as it looks nice. What Smith models should I be searching for? There is quite a bit out there that seems like it would do the job, the trick is finding it right now.

If you're going to feed it a steady diet of full power magnum loads, the K frame probably shouldn't be your first choice.

I find the L frame 686 the best all around compromise for strength and the ability to lug it around. If you're going up to the Bob and only taking a sidearm, I'd give serious consideration to a .44 mag or hot .45 Colt.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01   #34
nathanours
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
The Coonan is an awesome pistol though.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
I agree, I love the uniqueness of it also. Aren't they around $1100 or something though? Way out of my price range.

Can any of you guys give me an idea of how much easier it is to shoot a 6" compared to 4" compared to a 3" for accuracy? I'm still somewhat undecided on which barrel length to go with. It may be worth packing around a 6" gun if it isn't too bad if the accuracy gains are large enough. If it isn't that much easier to shoot well with, I'd rather get a shorter length.

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 03-06-2013, 12:06   #35
nathanours
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
If you're going to feed it a steady diet of full power magnum loads, the K frame probably shouldn't be your first choice.

I find the L frame 686 the best all around compromise for strength and the ability to lug it around. If you're going up to the Bob and only taking a sidearm, I'd give serious consideration to a .44 mag or hot .45 Colt.
Thanks for the K frame info, I'd definitely like to put some hotter loads through it. When we do our yearly fly fishing/camping trip up there, a few of us always have 870s with slugs in them. I just feel more comfortable also having a pistol when I'm out along the banks fishing too. Is there much of a difference in price between 357 and 44 magnum?

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09   #36
bac1023

The 4" has better balance for me. The 6" is generally more accurate , due to the longer sight radius. It will also deliver more energy on target.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:13   #37
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

As to barrel length, 6" gives you a definite advantage in sight radius, but all the long barrel revolvers have left my collection and have been replaced with shorter barrels. The 6+ inch barrels are just too cumbersome IMHO. You don't hike in circles or anything, but for me, the trade off is worth it. 4 - 4-1/2" barrels are a good compromise for me.

As far as price between .357 and .44 mag... I can't tell you what the spread is. I bought a bunch of brass long ago, and I'm casting my own boolits. Suffice it to say the difference will be significant.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:21   #38
Scrappy

Im a SW 686+ fan! Very accurate, sweet triggers an awesome revolver!
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:41   #39
nathanours
Texan

Ya I'm thinking I should stick with the 357 also because I've got a lot of 38 special ammo too.

Black Rifle Club #1989
Old 03-06-2013, 12:45   #40
p246

You've got a lot of good advice and as you see opinions will vary. I had not given Dan Wesson any play because you had not mentioned it.

My very first handgun was a DW .357. I
bought it the day I turned of legal age. I shot mainly reloads through it and it served me very well (sold it for diapers when JR came along-He was worth it). A good used one would be a good option. Please let us know what you get and how it turns out.
Remington Armorer
Evil black rifle armorer
p246 is offline   Reply With Quote