Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:35   #1
miketke

My first Windows Phone App

I decided to pay the fee and register as a Windows Phone developer. I have a few app ideas still in progress, but put my first app out there and I would love some feedback from GT members.

The app is called Gun Safe Log and it is used to track the inventory of your firearm, ammo, and accessory collection. With my safe getting more and more full (not with ammo lately ) I felt I needed to catalog everything I had.

I plan on some enhancements in the future to the ammuntion section, possibly a graph showing ammo on hand by caliber and bullet type.

Here is a link to it and if you happen to have a windows phone and 99 cents let me know what you think!

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...b-45e6a74cce55
miketke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 15:50   #2
blk08c6

That's cool. I've done some work with iOS. Nice job!
blk08c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 16:56   #3
miketke

Thanks! Don't want to spend the money for a mac to do ios stuff on, but may do an android version here soon.
Old 03-05-2013, 17:36   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketke View Post
Thanks! Don't want to spend the money for a mac to do ios stuff on, but may do an android version here soon.
Couple questions. I don't have a smart phone, but plan on getting one soon, so you may already have these features in the app.

1. Is there a way to protect the database (ie, password) in case the device is stolen or lost?

2. Is there a way to associate data with a photo of the firearm on the phone.

3. In the event you need to report a gun stolen.. is there an easy way to "print" the data w/o having to go through your phone and manually record the info?
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 03-06-2013 at 06:14..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 18:18   #5
miketke

3 very good questions!!

1. My next update will allow for the app to be password protected. In version 1.0, if the phone was unlocked the app was unlocked.

2. I would like a photo personally, but didn't know if there would be much interest in it.

3. When you download the app, or if you visit the "help" page from the app I ask those questions to gauge users interests. I personally would like to be able to email myself a copy of the data, or upload it to the cloud storage (SkyDrive for Windows Phones) so that you could make backups. I didn't do that in version 1.0 because those would both require data access. I wanted the users to know from the beginning I am not storing this data ANYWHERE and if the app had asked for the ability to use data I was afraid a paranoid user would think I was storing it online somewhere.
Old 03-05-2013, 20:20   #6
Detectorist

Mike, have you seen this for Android?

http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/

I've been trying to make it work for me but the block editor doesn't work, for some reason.

Other folks have had great luck with it.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 21:50   #7
miketke

I hadn't seen that for android before. Thanks for the link. I was just planning getting eclipse and the sdks and giving it a shot. I took java in college and have used it some over the years at work.
Old 03-05-2013, 22:12   #8
Detectorist

There is a free app for Android called 'Momento Database'. It's awesome and has pre made databases for household stuff. The user can also add databases to it and define the fields. It took me 5 minutes to do one for guns.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammo, app, inventory, phone, windows