Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2013, 18:30   #1
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

PTR91- I want one, pretty sure at least...

I was looking at the models made by PTR Industries. The "GI" model appeals to me. (Once I can find one )

http://ptr91.com/products/PTR%20G.I.?id=23

Reasons I have read not to have one or dislikes people expressed:

1. They beat up brass pretty good.
2. The charging handle location.
3. Recoils a bit more than an FAL.
4. Some complained that it was not a 1 inch group rifle. I don't think it was intended to be.
5. There was some stink about the flutes in the barrel on other models causing it to be ammo picky, but allegedly the "GI" model has the same number and flute specs as HK designed.

It's just for fun. But, is there any glaring reason why this would be a bad purchase? I know that the FAL would be a very popular alternative and I was interested in one, but I started looking at these and they piqued my interest.

Thanks

HK

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 03-04-2013 at 18:32..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:19   #2
Sheepdog689
NRA Life Member

I own a PTR91KC model. I carry it every day as my patrol rifle and I'm really happy with it.

Yes, it does beat up brass but I don't reload .308 so that doesn't bother me. In fact, I only use steel case Russian ammo for practice and I've never had any malfunctions in over 2,000 rounds.

The ergonomics are different than an AR platform. I carried an AR before I switched to the PTR. I wanted a .308 caliber rifle but I didn't want to pay for an AR10. I thought about an M1A1 but I had the opportunity to test fire several different models of the PTR91 and that made up my mind.

You get used to the charging handle location really quickly. I actually prefer the HK/PTR charging handle to the AR charging handle. Lock it back, insert the mag and slap the handle and you're good to go.

If you want a 1" group rifle, buy a bolt action rifle. I'm putting everything in the center mass/kill zone on a K5 target at 100 yards with open sights. That's what the rifle was intended for, it's not a sniper rifle intended for taking out targets at 1000 meters.

The newer models, including the GI model all have barrels from a different manufacturer than the ones that had issues. The issues had to do with the depth of the flutes. PTR had the barrels made with the thinner flutes in an effort to increase the accuracy of the rifle. It worked fine with cleaner ammo but tar sealed surplus ammo gunked up the flutes and caused malfunctions. The newer (last 2 years) rifles have the same depth flutes as the HK specs and they'll fire anything you feed them. When I go to the range to qualify I use the cheap Russian steel case ammo and it is filthy. The insides of the receiver get a thick coat of carbon but it doesn't slow the rifle down.

The rifle does recoil, but it's a .308 not a .223. Nothing that's not easily managed. I've got a PWS FSC compensator on mine and it seems to help keep the muzzle down. I live in an "assault weapon" ban state so I couldn't get one with a flash suppressor.

I've made a trip to the PTR factory and met the people involved. They put out a quality product and care about customer support. Last year they upped their warranty to lifetime and included previously sold rifles.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely, it's a quality rifle. Easy to disassemble for cleaning and it's a lot of fun to shoot. For a few bucks more than the GI model you could get one of the other models with the aluminum front stock. It comes pre-drilled and tapped for add-ons like lights, bipods, etc. One thing I do like....or at least I did... you could buy surplus magazines for them from CTD for $1.99 each. Obviously prices have gone up recently but nowhere near what AR mags are going for.
Old 03-04-2013, 20:30   #3
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog689 View Post
I own a PTR91KC model. I carry it every day as my patrol rifle and I'm really happy with it.

Yes, it does beat up brass but I don't reload .308 so that doesn't bother me. In fact, I only use steel case Russian ammo for practice and I've never had any malfunctions in over 2,000 rounds.

The ergonomics are different than an AR platform. I carried an AR before I switched to the PTR. I wanted a .308 caliber rifle but I didn't want to pay for an AR10. I thought about an M1A1 but I had the opportunity to test fire several different models of the PTR91 and that made up my mind.

You get used to the charging handle location really quickly. I actually prefer the HK/PTR charging handle to the AR charging handle. Lock it back, insert the mag and slap the handle and you're good to go.

If you want a 1" group rifle, buy a bolt action rifle. I'm putting everything in the center mass/kill zone on a K5 target at 100 yards with open sights. That's what the rifle was intended for, it's not a sniper rifle intended for taking out targets at 1000 meters.

The newer models, including the GI model all have barrels from a different manufacturer than the ones that had issues. The issues had to do with the depth of the flutes. PTR had the barrels made with the thinner flutes in an effort to increase the accuracy of the rifle. It worked fine with cleaner ammo but tar sealed surplus ammo gunked up the flutes and caused malfunctions. The newer (last 2 years) rifles have the same depth flutes as the HK specs and they'll fire anything you feed them. When I go to the range to qualify I use the cheap Russian steel case ammo and it is filthy. The insides of the receiver get a thick coat of carbon but it doesn't slow the rifle down.

The rifle does recoil, but it's a .308 not a .223. Nothing that's not easily managed. I've got a PWS FSC compensator on mine and it seems to help keep the muzzle down. I live in an "assault weapon" ban state so I couldn't get one with a flash suppressor.

I've made a trip to the PTR factory and met the people involved. They put out a quality product and care about customer support. Last year they upped their warranty to lifetime and included previously sold rifles.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely, it's a quality rifle. Easy to disassemble for cleaning and it's a lot of fun to shoot. For a few bucks more than the GI model you could get one of the other models with the aluminum front stock. It comes pre-drilled and tapped for add-ons like lights, bipods, etc. One thing I do like....or at least I did... you could buy surplus magazines for them from CTD for $1.99 each. Obviously prices have gone up recently but nowhere near what AR mags are going for.

Thanks for the very informative reply.

I'm guessing I'm really wanting one because sitting behind me is a box of 30 surplus mags that arrived from Midway. Didn't want to be left short when I made up my mind.

They were $2.99 each and look pretty close to new. Aluminum mags, H&K marked, most from the 80s a few from 1966 and 72, no rust, no dents, the finish on 90% of them is pretty much without blemish.

Think I'll get some more for giggles. At this price it's hard to not to.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 03-04-2013 at 20:31..
Old 03-05-2013, 16:56   #4
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

As a "just for fun" purchase, PTRs are fine. I'm one who prefers the FAL (for a lot of the reasons you mentioned), but the HK G3 pattern rifles are not bad guns. Of course, with the price nuttiness going around and the new quality 7.62 rifles around (LMT MWS, Knights SR-25, FN SCAR-17S), I'm finding it difficult to really love any of the old battle rifles for any reason other than nostalgia.

Again though, as a "collector" or "fun gun", there is nothing wrong with PTR rifles.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I

Last edited by WayaX; 03-05-2013 at 16:57..
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 19:06   #5
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post

Reasons I have read not to have one or dislikes people expressed:

1. They beat up brass pretty good.
2. The charging handle location.
3. Recoils a bit more than an FAL.
4. Some complained that it was not a 1 inch group rifle. I don't think it was intended to be.
5. There was some stink about the flutes in the barrel on other models causing it to be ammo picky, but allegedly the "GI" model has the same number and flute specs as HK designed.

It's just for fun. But, is there any glaring reason why this would be a bad purchase? I know that the FAL would be a very popular alternative and I was interested in one, but I started looking at these and they piqued my interest.

Thanks

HK

1) Yes. Not sure if it's possible to reload brass once it's been shot out of an HK91, they do a number on it....if you can even find it! They spit brass FAR.

2) Yeah, it's not the greatest, but so what?

3) I've never shot a FAL, so no comparison, but with the weight of the rifle, the HK91 doesn't exactly beat you up with recoil. It's fun to shoot.

4) May want to ask those people why the PSG-1 (souped up HK91) is one of the finest semiauto sniper rifles in the world.

5) I've read that many HK enthusiasts admit the PTR rifles are of higher quality than the originals. The PTRs I've handled are superb guns. Dunno if it's worth saving a few hundred or less for the GI; I'd probably go with whatever's the standard model. They look a little funny with the parkerizing, IMO.

Also, are you referring to the chamber flutes? AFAIK, those are standard, original HK design, but I'll defer to an expert...

Overall, the HK91 is one of the premier battle rifles of the world, along with the M1A and FAL. Arguing any one is better than the other is like Mercedes vs. BMW vs. Audi - they have pros and cons, but they are still the best of the best.

I say you go get one, they are a real blast to shoot. Also I think mags are (still!) the cheapest & most plentiful of the three guns. FAL mags in particular seem to be quite short supply, but I haven't looked very hard as I don't own one.

Last edited by Drjones; 06-18-2013 at 19:07..
Drjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 20:10   #6
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

PTR91- I want one, pretty sure at least...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
1) Yes. Not sure if it's possible to reload brass once it's been shot out of an HK91, they do a number on it....if you can even find it! They spit brass FAR.

2) Yeah, it's not the greatest, but so what?

3) I've never shot a FAL, so no comparison, but with the weight of the rifle, the HK91 doesn't exactly beat you up with recoil. It's fun to shoot.

4) May want to ask those people why the PSG-1 (souped up HK91) is one of the finest semiauto sniper rifles in the world.

5) I've read that many HK enthusiasts admit the PTR rifles are of higher quality than the originals. The PTRs I've handled are superb guns. Dunno if it's worth saving a few hundred or less for the GI; I'd probably go with whatever's the standard model. They look a little funny with the parkerizing, IMO.

Also, are you referring to the chamber flutes? AFAIK, those are standard, original HK design, but I'll defer to an expert...

Overall, the HK91 is one of the premier battle rifles of the world, along with the M1A and FAL. Arguing any one is better than the other is like Mercedes vs. BMW vs. Audi - they have pros and cons, but they are still the best of the best.

I say you go get one, they are a real blast to shoot. Also I think mags are (still!) the cheapest & most plentiful of the three guns. FAL mags in particular seem to be quite short supply, but I haven't looked very hard as I don't own one.
I bought one and I love it. I got the Atlantic firearms edition with the wide hand guards and a optic rail above the receiver.

40 magazines in the stash. They were like $2 or $3 dollars. Thanks Midway.

Added original bipod.

I don't notice the recoil. I shoot my Mosin all afternoon for fun.

Shot a touch bigger than dime size group iron sights first three rounds out of it sighting it in.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 06-18-2013 at 20:12..