Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2013, 17:31   #1
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Pistol Wear vs Smart Carry Holsters

I just saw an ad for "Pistol Wear" holsters and they look similar in concept to Smart Carry self-supported IWB holsters. Both have some type elastic to support a pouch to conceal your gun.

Seems (from what I can see) they are made of different materials. I own a Smart Carry and it is OK. This Pistol Wear version looks to be of synthetic material secured with snaps instead of cloth secured with Velcro like the Smart Carry. Pistol Wear also has a retaining strap and one version even has an over-the-shoulder strap for chest carry. Anybody familiar with these Pistol Wear products? Good? Bad? Versus Smart Carry? Go here to see:

http://www.pistolwear.com/

http://www.smartcarry.com/products.html

Thanks for all input. I'm considering the 3rd model "Trump Card" as a possibility. It says these Pistol Wear holsters are used by the US Military...?

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke

Last edited by robhic; 03-04-2013 at 17:34..
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:41   #2
jhon

I can only give you my experience with Pistol Wear.

It is going to depend what type of gun you will be carrying. I got the one that went around the chest/abd, ( they have another one that looks like you have to carry it more on a cross-draw carry ). However after I got it, I put in a SW 9c to see how it fit. I did not like it. It expanded so much made me look like I was fat or pregnant.

I then tried to draw and it is not a fast draw. It will be a slow draw as for me I had twist my wrist so much that after several attempts I had to stop practicing.

I contact the dealer and they were very nice and explained that probably what I should get is the one that I would have to set up for a cross draw. I was even told that I had 30 days that I could exchange it if i wanted to.

IMO: the only way that I can figure that it may work is if one is using a single mag and not a double one. Also probably at the minimum a compact or sub compact gun.

For me, it didn't work and was not worth the price or trouble.

Good luck in your search.

PS: I also tried the Smart Carry and was very satisfied with it and use it when I am not using my IWB carry.
jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:57   #3
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhon View Post

It is going to depend what type of gun you will be carrying. I got the one that went around the chest/abd, ( they have another one that looks like you have to carry it more on a cross-draw carry ). However after I got it, I put in a SW 9c to see how it fit. I did not like it. It expanded so much made me look like I was fat or pregnant.

I then tried to draw and it is not a fast draw. It will be a slow draw as for me I had twist my wrist so much that after several attempts I had to stop practicing.

I contact the dealer and they were very nice and explained that probably what I should get is the one that I would have to set up for a cross draw. I was even told that I had 30 days that I could exchange it if i wanted to.

IMO: the only way that I can figure that it may work is if one is using a single mag and not a double one. Also probably at the minimum a compact or sub compact gun.

PS: I also tried the Smart Carry and was very satisfied with it and use it when I am not using my IWB carry.
Chest carry is sometimes handy. Go for it!
Old 03-07-2013, 18:20   #4
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhon View Post

[...]

It is going to depend what type of gun you will be carrying.
I then tried to draw and it is not a fast draw.

[...]

Thanks for the input. Differences I can see seem to be material, retaining strap and the PW holster seems to come up higher so you have a backing between skin and gun's grip.

I just wrote to the company with a few questions too. I'm leaning more and more towards the "Trump Card" model which is the chest carriable (is that a word? ) model I have NO intention of chest carrying.

I'll carry either a 5-shot small 357 revolver, a G26 or a (don't laugh! ) Bersa Thunder 380 for VERY limited use!
Thanks again for the input.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Old 03-07-2013, 20:28   #5
Torontogunguy

Tim Schmidt of USCCA says he uses the Smartcarry with a Glock 36. I am hoping to use same, along with a couple of 7 round reload magazines (with the Pearce +1 extension on them). I am going to get the security version that offers the extra rear pocket to distance my gun/mags from any sweat and gives me room to carry ID and permits and credit cards perhaps. Now wondering if the Glock 30S hybrid will fit the same holster. Thought I read or saw a Smartcarry Pro somewhere? It had a clear Kydex piece on it for a more solid holstering? Anyone?
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:51   #6
Glock21sf-miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontogunguy View Post
Tim Schmidt of USCCA says he uses the Smartcarry with a Glock 36. I am hoping to use same, along with a couple of 7 round reload magazines (with the Pearce +1 extension on them). I am going to get the security version that offers the extra rear pocket to distance my gun/mags from any sweat and gives me room to carry ID and permits and credit cards perhaps. Now wondering if the Glock 30S hybrid will fit the same holster. Thought I read or saw a Smartcarry Pro somewhere? It had a clear Kydex piece on it for a more solid holstering? Anyone?
I carry a g36 or an SP101 in a smart carry everyday. I did carry the g30 but it is quite a brick. The extra mag just felt uncomfortable. I would only use it in that setup for shrt periods.
Old 03-07-2013, 21:21   #7
Torontogunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock21sf-miami View Post
I carry a g36 or an SP101 in a smart carry everyday. I did carry the g30 but it is quite a brick. The extra mag just felt uncomfortable. I would only use it in that setup for shrt periods.
Thanks for the rapid response. The new G30S is a combination of the G30SF frame and the G36 slide. Wonder how that would work out. I am thinking of offloading my G30's in favour of my Glock 36's anyway. Still have an eye on that G30S hybrid though.

I could have sworn I saw a Smartcarry Pro somewhere that had a Kydex holder for the handgun. Getting old .... memory cramp.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 17:26   #8
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

OK, so I decided to get a Pistol Wear holster. I got the "Trump Card" model which is a one-pocket Smart Carry-type clone. They also make 1 and 2 pocket models. I only needed a small unit because I already have a Smart Carry.

First impressions: Fabric is more porous so should be cool. Downside is less rugged than Smart Carry, IMO.

Fastens with 3 snaps after adjusting the size with Velcro. This is an improvement, IMO, that you can set and forget. Just fit it and next time you just put it on and it'll fit. Not a big deal, but a little easier, IMO. The whole unit works like Velcro so it is infinitely adjustable. +1 for Pistol Wear.

This model comes with an over-the-shoulder support strap (like a friggin' brassiere! ) so you can wear it in chest carry fashion. I'm still deciding on this. Might be a good option but you'd really need a shirt with buttons or snaps (like my 5.11 Tactical shirt with front snaps instead of buttons that I just got...) and a T Shirt would probably suck for this use.

All-in-all, this looks interesting. I'll assume the other 2 larger models will be about the same except for size. Smart carry or Pistol wear, a self-supported holster that should work well for clothes with out belts or other fasteners.

http://www.pistolwear.com/