Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2013, 13:34   #1
ditto1958

Sell me on buying a shotgun

Okay, folks. Persuade me as to why I should add a shotgun to my guns.

I got back into firearms in June of 2012 after years of being away from them. I started out with a 10-22, and have since added 2 more .22 rifles, a 9mm S&W and a .40 cal. Glock.

I don't hunt, and don't collect "safe queens," but I mainly buy guns I can enjoy shooting in my back yard range. The political events of the past several months have also gotten me interested in home defense, as well as 2nd Amendment rights.

My current "wants" also include a 1911 pistol, a 30-30 levergun, and also an AR at some point.

It seems like most folks who own firearms own at least one shotgun. Should I be looking to get one? They seem to be one of the few types of firearm that are not only still widely available, but also ammunition available to buy and shoot. Are they enjoyable to shoot? What would be a good gun to start with as a first shotgun?

My two primary uses for it would be:

1. Plinking. If there is such a thing with shotguns. Mostly shooting at reactive targets.

2. Home defense.

I also don't like "black" guns (except for AR's and Glocks). I have a soft spot for wood stocks.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 13:46   #2
countrygun

As big a fan as I am of the defensive shotgun in its place, I don't think everyone has to have one. If you don't hunt with them then there isn't a good reason hiding there either.

If you are comfortable without one then you are probably just as well off that way. You shouldn't have to be "sold" on something if you are fine without it. If you "want" one then you know why you do, if you don't want one, it's a good clue that you don't "need" it either.

Don't worry about it.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:00   #3
Delcorbett

They literally are a blast! Cannot go wrong with a shotgun. Rem. 870 or a Moss. 500, I have one of each and they are great. Mossberg is a 20" persuader with a heatshield and a pistolgrip. Took the pg off and put a standard mossberg stock on. 7+1 capacity. Was 289 plus tax. Got the stock for free from a friend. The 870 was a police trade in, 4+1 capacity. Looks a bit rough but the inside looks like it was never shot. $200 out the door.

Sent from my LG-MS770

Last edited by Delcorbett; 03-04-2013 at 14:02..
Delcorbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:02   #4
mtbinva

Cause uncle Joe said so! LOL!

Louis Pasteur
mtbinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:03   #5
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

You may qualify for a Vice Presidential discount.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:18   #6
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

If you have to be "Sold"on one....you dont need one.

Like Countrygun says: " Dont worry about it"

I have a bad*****$ 870.....love the thing.

Last edited by LASTRESORT20; 03-04-2013 at 14:19..
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:45   #7
JohnP82

Everyone is different, but I say why not get one?
Several different uses.
I do not hunt and I have 2 shotguns.
They work well for HD, although getting proper training will let you get the most out of it.
Very fun to shoot. I love spending the day shooting clays. I still enjoy shooting paper, but wow moving targets are so much fun!
To each their own, but if you think you will get use out of one I say go for it.
JohnP82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 17:29   #8
G23c

slugs!
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 17:39   #9
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23c View Post
slugs!
I have those in the garden every year, but I think a shotgun is bit of overkill
Old 03-04-2013, 18:04   #10
tuica

Tough to beat a weapon with the range of ammo that a shotgun can accomodate. You may not ever need it, but nice to have a gun that can be used to hunt nearly anything from game birds to deer. Cheers.
Old 03-04-2013, 20:43   #11
Current Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
As big a fan as I am of the defensive shotgun in its place, I don't think everyone has to have one. If you don't hunt with them then there isn't a good reason hiding there either.

If you are comfortable without one then you are probably just as well off that way. You shouldn't have to be "sold" on something if you are fine without it. If you "want" one then you know why you do, if you don't want one, it's a good clue that you don't "need" it either.

Don't worry about it.

+1 Very well stated
Current Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 21:16   #12
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Agreed with countrygun.

Find a friend with one, shoot 25-30 rounds. You'll know whether it's for you or not.

They are adaptable and highly useful pieces. At close range it can be a highly capable defensive weapon, with birdshot and slugs you can hunt if necessary with one.

They can't do everything well, but they can do just about everything you'd do with a gun to some degree. My only shotgun currently is a hunting piece, I use an AR for defense due to a lifetime of training and better capabilities. But I have had combat shotguns for most of my life, and a properly trained user of one can seriously screw up badguys.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 21:49   #13
jthrelf

dollar for dollar, they are the most firepower you can buy

only readily available ammunition in today's market

versatile... you can keep different ammo on hand for many different purposes

reliability of a pump

Last edited by jthrelf; 03-04-2013 at 21:49..
jthrelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 22:14   #14
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
dollar for dollar, they are the most firepower you can buy

only readily available ammunition in today's market

versatile... you can keep different ammo on hand for many different purposes

reliability of a pump
"Firepower" for an individual is being able to hit effectively with a weapon while using the weapon efficiently and to the user's, capability.
Hitting with a shotgun at SD ranges takes as much skill as using a rifle, just without a rear sight (generally). They are not a "magic weapon". They require as much work to maintain proficiency with as any other firearm. I do it, but I won't tell a fib and say it is as much fun as a 5.56, .30 carbine or even .44 mag trapper carbine.
Old 03-04-2013, 23:01   #15
cliffsta
Who, me?

I don't hunt, but I own a shotgun. Granted its black and "tacticool" but as stated before, the variety of ammo means you COULD hunt with it should the need arise. And around here, shells are PLENTIFUL.

My shotgun is standing next to my bed with muffs hung on the light should that other "need" arise. I've fired the shotgun a lot more than my AR so I'm going to it first in a crisis. Though FWIW the AR is five feet away, and when I get my light and optic, the Mossy may switch places.

Looking at your current list of firearms, your pistols are probably your SD/HD tools, right? Long guns do it better, and for $300 or so you can have a fine pump-action.

So, for $400 max you could have another firearm, a VERSATILE firearm, and a reliable firearm. If you got it to blow, I say go for it. I love shooting my pump gun. But I love shooting all my guns.

Just my .02

NRA Member
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 23:13   #16
4095fanatic

Go get a Good used Rem 870 or Moss 500. You won't regret it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
4095fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 23:45   #17
GJHIII

Shotguns are reliable, accurate and efficient with little practice. I think every firearm owner should have one.
GJHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 23:57   #18
bigmac85

You can still find "plinking" ammo readily available, nuff said! Lol
bigmac85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 15:04   #19
Will Beararms

This applies to the Remington 870

1. Anyone can work on an 870 and replace any of the parts that do not require soldering.

2. Shotgun ammo is relatively cheap and in most cases, you can dial in the power level to suit you----ergo 20 Gauge - 2-4" or 3" shells-----12 Gauge - 2-3/4"---3" and 3-1/2" shells. There is hardly a shotgun that WON'T do well in a CQB environment.

3. Highly versatile---with one platform you can have a bird gun, home defense gun and a big game weapon by switching barrels. You can have a rifled barrel for slugs accurate out to 100 yards or a rifled barrel with a cantilever for scope attachment or an open choked 18.5" CQB barrel or a 28" bird barrel with multiple choke options.

4. Every household in America occupied by sane, capable non-felons should have a Remington 870 Youth 20 Gauge. They are highly maneuverable with a 20" barrel and are quite effective.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-05-2013, 22:39   #20
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays = Fun. (Although sporting clays can be humbling).

3-Gun Shotgun = fun too (Texas stars, pepper poppers with clay flippers)