GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-03-2013, 20:10   #1
BenjiEDF

Training a left-hander who is right eye dominant?

Anyone have any advice for training a left-hander who is right eye dominant? I figure with rifles he will just have to suck it up and shoot them right handed. What about pistols? It there is already good info on the subject then point me in the right direction please.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 20:24   #2
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

For sure, teach him to shoot right handed. It's cheaper in general, and safer if a load ever does a kB, as ones face/eyes are better protected. I'm left eye dominant and just automatically learned to shoot left handed... but i'm right handed... so i just switched the gun over to right handed and right eye and kept practicing until it felt normal. Funny, now both left and right feel normal. Bonus!

Find out what all the fuzz is about... seriously... get AGrip!

Brooks W. Speier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Official AGrip™ Manufacturer Website

AGrip™ Installation Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Tazz10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 20:37   #3
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Train to shoot with either hand.

Seriously.

The run on arms and ammunition has caused shortages here and there throughout the country... Keep up your supply, and do not neglect the 22 rimfire, which may well turn into the "ballistic wampum" I have spoken of the past.
-Jeff Cooper, 1/31/1994
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 20:39   #4
cfr

I'm in the same boat as the person your teaching, and shoot with both eyes open. Not sure if its right, wrong, or indifferent but I'm cozy with it.
cfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 20:40   #5
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr View Post
I'm in the same boat as the person your teaching, and shoot with both eyes open. Not sure if its right, wrong, or indifferent but I'm cozy with it.
Both eyes open is ideal!

The run on arms and ammunition has caused shortages here and there throughout the country... Keep up your supply, and do not neglect the 22 rimfire, which may well turn into the "ballistic wampum" I have spoken of the past.
-Jeff Cooper, 1/31/1994
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 20:56   #6
jlhenry

I am left hand right eye dominant and I shoot all long guns right handed. Your friend shouldn't have any problems if they are willing to try.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
jlhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:08   #7
paulbow

I'm left handed and right eye dominant also. I shoot all guns and (and bows for that matter) right handed.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
paulbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:11   #8
steve1988

I am right handed/left eyed. I tend to shoot long guns left handed and pistols right handed, but I have taught myself to do both fairly well. I have a lot of fun with the guys running EST 2000 ranges...
Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
steve1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:18   #9
ithaca_deerslayer

With handguns, the shooter can go left hand and right eye. It is no big deal.

I am visually ambidextrous and can shoot with either eye. And I do so if one lens fogs up or something like that. Your eyes are only a couple inches apart so it is easy to move the handgun over in front of your dominant eye, no matter which hand ypu are using.

My wife is right handed and left eye dominant. She shoots handguns right hand and left eye. And long guns and bows left hand and left eye.

What eye do you guys use when practising weak hand drills? I switch from right hand right eye to left hand left eye. But I bet most people go from right hand right eye to left hand right eye. I bet they don't even think about it, but just stick with their dominant eye.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 03-05-2013 at 07:59..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:33   #10
vafish

My son is right handed, left eye dominant. He shoots rifles left handed and handguns right handed. For the handguns it is simple to move the gun over in front of the dominant eye.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:40   #11
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
My son is right handed, left eye dominant. He shoots rifles left handed and handguns right handed. For the handguns it is simple to move the gun over in front of the dominant eye.
Between this and the hogs thread, I think we are 2 for 2

Old 03-03-2013, 21:56   #12
ColdSteelNail

Teach him to play baseball. Batting lefty and being right eye dominant is perfect for hitting a baseball (That's what Ted Williams said anyway).
ColdSteelNail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 22:05   #13
redbrd

I am left handed and left eye dominant. When I joined the military it became clear to me that it was righty's world no big deal at first I shoot just as well right handed. It only started to matter later in my career when I realized that cross dominance slowed me down transitioning from pistol to rifle. May or may not matter to you.
I fixed the issue with a lot of ammo and covering the lens of my left eye. Got comfortable then used a shaded lens for a bit. Eventually it was instinctual to aim with my right eye. I guess you could probably do the same dry firing unless someone else buys your ammo too.
redbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21   #14
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Tape over the dominant eye's shooting glass lense. After a while, they'll get used to using the other eye.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:17   #15
KalashniKEV

No tape, no panties, no bungling around... unless you're Nicholas Cage. You aim long guns from your dominant eye.

General Firearms Forum

The subject in the OP is truly blessed in that he will be able to drive a carbine like no other and his mag changes and transitions will be lightning- all without any brass passing in front of his face (which will slow him down in assessing malfunctions though).
KalashniKEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25   #16
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Left-hand, right eye here. I shoot rifles from my right shoulder. He should have no problem with this. For pistols, I shoot left handed and have no problem picking up sight picture 1 or 2 handed.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:44   #17
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

First shooting pistols cross eye dominant is no big deal. However if just starting out I would try to have them shoot right handed. Most lefties are more ambidexterous to begin with and most pistols are designed for righties.

I'm left hand and left eye dom. but when I started shooting pistols I sucked with both hands and found it just as easy to learn to shoot right handed. Now I'm glad I did it that way.

Short Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 23:20   #18
jcal0820

After 15 years of service, 3 combat deployments and several thousand rounds of every small arms weapons systems out there, NOW I'm finding out that I'm cross eye dominant! (Left Eye, Right Handed)... I had always shot right handed, right eye since shooting my first firearm in my teens, and stayed that way... Could never really shoot with both eyes open, but since the growth of advanced optics and CQB, it's an absolute necessity now. And the reason I couldn't wad because of cross eye dominance. Now, I'm learning to fire long guns with my weak arm (left), but keep shooting handguns with my right... Since identifying this issue, I can easily sight targets both eyes open, and acquire targets MUCH faster now. Maybe, with practice, I can eventually achieve Expert on the M4/16. Sharpshooter was the highest I ever got.
jcal0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:59   #19
BenjiEDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal0820 View Post
After 15 years of service, 3 combat deployments and several thousand rounds of every small arms weapons systems out there, NOW I'm finding out that I'm cross eye dominant! (Left Eye, Right Handed)... I had always shot right handed, right eye since shooting my first firearm in my teens, and stayed that way... Could never really shoot with both eyes open, but since the growth of advanced optics and CQB, it's an absolute necessity now. And the reason I couldn't wad because of cross eye dominance. Now, I'm learning to fire long guns with my weak arm (left), but keep shooting handguns with my right... Since identifying this issue, I can easily sight targets both eyes open, and acquire targets MUCH faster now. Maybe, with practice, I can eventually achieve Expert on the M4/16. Sharpshooter was the highest I ever got.
0.o just now figuring that out? Yeah I'm making fun of you! Aircraft mechanic here... USAF.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:41   #20
Lowjiber

Many don't know that every man's hero, Hickock45, is left-eye-dominant, but shoots right handed. He spoke about it in one of his basic stance videos. Watch him when he's shooting...he slightly tilts his head to the right to bring the sight picture in line with his dominant eye.

No one can argue with his ability.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Last edited by Lowjiber; 03-05-2013 at 06:42.. Reason: puncuation
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote