Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:19   #1
railfancwb

Scanner apps for iPhone

I am looking for a scanner app for my iPhone which will allow me to find and listen to local activity. I am especially interested in railroad frequencies.

Any one know of any such?

The ones in the App Store all appear to offer only preselected signal sources.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39   #2
Glock45Lover

If you are looking for an App that will turn your I-Phone into a stand-alone scanner, that won't happen. Cell phones use a dedicated set of frequencies in a digital format. They do not have the ability to "listen" to other frequencies like a scanner does.

About all you can do is use an App that has a feed from a scanner in the area you want to monitor.

21 Club Member #4500.
Glock45Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:52   #3
Dan_ntx

5-0 radio is great. It has hundreds of scanner feeds from all over the world, bonus music feeds, and works in the car. My son (12) and I listen to our local police while having ping pong battles in the evenings and we hear all sorts of stupidity. It's addictive and beats local radio while sitting in traffic. There are others like it but I can vouch for the easy interface and usability of 5-0 radio.
Dan_ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:54   #4
Dan_ntx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock45Lover View Post
If you are looking for an App that will turn your I-Phone into a stand-alone scanner, that won't happen. Cell phones use a dedicated set of frequencies in a digital format. They do not have the ability to "listen" to other frequencies like a scanner does.

About all you can do is use an App that has a feed from a scanner in the area you want to monitor.
Smartphone connects to scanner app, scanner app provides live scanner feeds, phone frequency has nothing to do with it. It works on iPads and iPods that don't have a cellular frequency at all.
Dan_ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:27   #5
GMAN12

5-0 works as Dan-ntx said. Go to the app. store and search for "Police Scanner" it's free.
GMAN12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:52   #6
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ntx View Post
Smartphone connects to scanner app, scanner app provides live scanner feeds, phone frequency has nothing to do with it. It works on iPads and iPods that don't have a cellular frequency at all.
Right, but it's not a stand alone scanner. Someone has to be broadcasting that frequency to the internet. The OP sounds like he wants to use it like a handheld scanner, which isn't going to happen on any cell phone I know of.