SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-11-2013, 15:20   #1
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Choke question for 870 Tactical

I want to run my 870 Tactical in a couple of local informal tactical shotgun competitions the next few weeks. I'm not interested in spending bunch of cash and buying 00 buck training rounds. The local rule is going to be no shot sizes over 6 1/2 and we can not engage steel poppers closer than 10 yards. The rest will be clays on stands up to about 25 yards.

What do you guys suggest for a choke? I have a breacher on it right now, know my holds and pattern for my 00 SD shells but with birdshot it's spreads out more than I like.
I run a light modified on my 3-gun Mossberg JM Pro, thinking may like it to be a little tighter with this one though maybe a improved modified. What do you guys think?
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:18   #2
collim1
Shower Time!

Modified would be a good starting point, but there is really no way to know for sure without testing each load and choke combo at the range you need it to perform.

An old white bed sheet spread between two posts is a good way to pattern loads without having to change targets after often.

Sometimes the results will surprise you. Sometimes less choke makes for better patterns depending on the load you are shooting.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 21:28   #3
Ferdinandd

Collim beat me to it. I have an 870 Tac and it does well with modified or full Rem-chokes when shooting relatively small shot.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Ferdinandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 17:15   #4
badge315

I've used both IC and Mod chokes while shooting 3-Gun matches and I've never had a problem either knocking down steel or breaking static clays. Since you're more or less aiming the gun like a rifle in that kind of shooting, I don't think it makes much difference how much choke you use.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote