Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2013, 21:29   #1
Current Resident

Remington 11-48

I just recently acquired an older model semi-auto 11-48. This is actually my first Remington shotgun and I want to make it into something useful for me. I would like to add a magazine extention to it but being that it is older and my lack of knowledge, I would like to ask the group here. Is the thread the same on Remington shotguns from an auto loader to a pump? I don't have a picture of the threads but a general description is that they appear to be about a millimeter in width and flat in shape. Has anyone added one of these on their own 11-48? Any help would be appreciated.

Elwood
Current Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 22:04   #2
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

I bought the Choat (sp?) +3 for the Rem 870/1100 and the Wolfe spring off of gunbroker and it works perfectly on my 11-48.

My 11-48 has been hit or miss. I had it worked on by a competent gunsmith and he got it running after replacing a few parts. Today it ran 5rds before the firing pin broke.

I will fix and sell it AS IS, the sooner the better.

(My M500 ran 100rds of mixed ammo without a hitch...)
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 22:32   #3
Current Resident

If you don't mind my asking, what did you have done by the gunsmith?

The history on mine was the gun was used for trap by my father for years before going into semi retirement. I have it now, my kid took over my Mossberg 500 and I want something for myself. My plan was to have the barrel shortened some, and add a rail for a red dot or a set of Williams sights so I can participate in the shotgun season here in Michigan.

A passion of mine it to tinker with my guns and get them to perform better. I have had an issue with feeding rounds into the magazine tube. So tonight I took the trigger group out and diagnosed two problems and fixed one, the other I have to figure out yet.

Anyway I am curious as to what work you had done to yours, maybe I can make mine last longer.
Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 23:28   #4
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Shell rise was replaced and the pin the holds the two recoil rods in place was out of spec, it was so loose you could shake it out. Under fire the the rods would slip and jam into the receiver.

I have also read the the bolt face is frequently worn down and may need to have a thin piece of steel braised on to the face to bring it up to spec.

These are old guns that have had lots of rounds and abuse over the years.

I bought mine as a project gun, it was unreliable when I got it and I knew it. I cut the barrel to 21in, added the +3 and a sling. I refinished the wood also. That part turned out nice!

It never fired reliably for me. I am going to try an new gunsmith this time.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 23:58   #5
method

My first gun was an 11-48 in .410 that my dad bought new in 1968. I got a hold of it in about '86, after it'd sat in the top of a closet unloved for the last decade. It's been refinished, but every part in it is original, and it's never malfunctioned, though it's never seen much use.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:48   #6
Current Resident

I am actually not positive what the history of it is since my dad got it in the early 90's. I took it apart and it does appear to have some use but not near what my Mossberg has had. The bore is crystal clean and the action doesn't have the type of debris I had expected to find. I'm going to take her out on a date, get her loaded and see if she will perform. I'm looking forward to this. One thing that I noticed right off was that the butt plate is hard plastic, not shock absorbing foam. I hope it is a delite to shoot, as I want to turn it into a slug gun.
Old 02-15-2013, 23:47   #7
method

It'll be a kicker. They're recoil operated, not gas, so they're not particularly soft shooting. You'll definitely want to get a recoil pad on the gun.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 21:52   #8
muscogee

Will an 11-48 function if you cut the barrel to 20 inches? Seems like it should. Just curious.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56   #9
Current Resident

In all honesty I don't see any reason that it wouldn't. That is exactly my intent when I have time. The thing that I'm trying to figure out is what sights I want to put on it. My goal is to turn it into a slug gun for deer season, but I would like to have some type of rifle sight for it. For ergonomics I want the type that is taller as I tend to shoot those sights better. Peep or ghost ring would be fine. If anyone has a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated. Edit, I just want to trim the barrel down for ease of use.

Last edited by Current Resident; 02-22-2013 at 11:58..
Old 02-23-2013, 05:49   #10
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I got the gun smith video from AGI here a while back for the auto 5, the Remington 11 and the Savage 720 and the 11-48 is briefly mentioned in it. It would be terribly long if I explained it, not sure I could now because I would have to watch the video again but they did say that if an 11-48 ever goes south, it stays that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:58   #11
Current Resident

That's a really open ended statement. Without going into great detail can you give an overview of what you mean by going south? Thank you, any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:20   #12
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I would have to watch the video again to be specific. I remember it having something to do with the locking system. The 11 48, while it was a long recoil gun like the model 11, had a different locking mechanism than the 11. when the locking lug in the bolt got worn, there really wasn't anything that could be done other than get a new barrel extension and I don't think there are any of those around any more. I will try to watch the video again so I can answer your question more specifically if you want me too.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:49   #13
Current Resident

Please do, i think I may know what it is you may be talking about.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:11   #14
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Well, I did watch it again. The 11-48 was made between 1948 and 1958. The locking system is quite a bit different. it seems when the lock gets worn, the action tends to open prematurely. He said it won't just blow up right away but it opens rather hard and it will end up breaking something inside and make the gun inoperable. I looked to see if I could find the video clip on youtube but so far I have not been able to.

Old 03-18-2013, 22:28   #15
Current Resident

I have spent a little bit of time on my 11-48 trying to tune it up a little bit. The more I take it apart, my gut feeling is that the gun really hasn't seen much action.

For the life of me when I load the magazine tube the last half inch of the shell is real stubborn and doesn't want to finish loading. I have studied the area for 2 months now, tried to relieve the loading angles without changing the shape of the coinciding parts.

For those new to my thread, I am a new Remington owner and have very little experience with this shotgun. I am just a master tinkerer not afraid to try and fix my own guns

Does anyone know of a remedy for this loading issue or anyone else experiencing this?
Old 03-18-2013, 22:55   #16
Blowout

If I were you, I'd strip it down and check if something is bent, worn or broken. This might help you put it back together in case you forget where all the pieces go

Tactical Shotguns
Old 03-18-2013, 23:10   #17
Current Resident

I have torn this rascal down and we are getting to know each other very intimately. I have that schematic and have visually checked all that I can.