Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2013, 16:31   #1
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

T-mobile moving to no contact model

http://www.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-5757...ct-model-soon/ Rumor: T-Mobile to move to no-contract model soon

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 16:53   #2
droidfire

No contact is right. T-mobile has such a horrible national infrastructure. If you get service where you are - great. Don't venture outside urban centers though.
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 17:07   #3
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

I'm hoping this will prompt other US carriers to follow suit.
The US is the only place left that has "contract phones".

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 03-02-2013, 17:12   #4
droidfire

I dunno, I got my S3 from verizon for $250, final cost, with a 2 year contract. I need the service, so have no issues with being in a contract. I would miss getting a hefty discount on a handset.

I couldn't afford to pay full retail for the S3, so when I went to sign up for my service with verizon I would have had to get whatever I could afford for $300 or less.

Just a few months after launch, what android phones could I get for verizon for $300, brand new? Only something crappy.
Old 03-02-2013, 17:16   #5
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

On T-Mobile killing the subsidy: It's about time

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...ts-about-time/

Old 03-02-2013, 17:20   #6
wizzi01

Send a message via ICQ to wizzi01 Send a message via AIM to wizzi01
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
No contact is right. T-mobile has such a horrible national infrastructure. If you get service where you are - great. Don't venture outside urban centers though.
Hmmm I've been to lots of places in Ohio, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Kentucky and West Virginia. The only real place i had trouble was in the Delbarton, WV area, but then so did my verizon work phone. Also, Tmobile is updating a bit with the buyout of metro pcs.
wizzi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 17:26   #7
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Coverage for anyone curious. Keep in mind most carrier coverage maps are a bit optimistic (jmho).

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx/

Old 03-02-2013, 17:46   #8
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
Hmmm I've been to lots of places in Ohio, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Kentucky and West Virginia. The only real place i had trouble was in the Delbarton, WV area, but then so did my verizon work phone. Also, Tmobile is updating a bit with the buyout of metro pcs.
My wife and i have traveled quite a bit, by car. At times my adult son and his 'woman of the hour' frequently go with us. We have been from SE FL to NW WA and nearly all points in between (I need somebody to lift my drunk ass into the cab after a night of 151 dark rum).

I have Verizon. Never been out of service except once for 15 minutes in Yellowstone. My wife has trouble with Sprint, particularly in the SW in AZ and NV. My son, on T-Mobile rarely has a useable signal 50 miles out of any city.

My wife also has a Verizon car phone, on my plan that we use a lot. She has Sprint because her hospital job relies on it.
Sprint put up a repeater cell, or several, to guarantee coverage in all localities within the hospital in exchange for exclusivity with apps, texts and e-mail. In order to do her job she HAS to have a Sprint phone, actually an iPhone for the necessary apps to run. Sprint does offer discounts for employees, but the hospital does not cover expenses as they should.
Old 03-02-2013, 18:12   #9
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

I'm just tired of the real cost of a new smart phone being buried/mixed in a 2 yr contact.

Old 03-02-2013, 18:13   #10
Drain You
NRA member

All 23 customers just cheered.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 19:34   #11
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

typo of the week.
Old 03-02-2013, 20:15   #12
Walter Bishop

The cell phone market in the U.S. developed in a weird way. In Europe and almost every other country in the world pre-paid phones are the standard. But in the U.S. pre-paid was marketed to poor people.
Walter Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 21:02   #13
ND40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
I'm just tired of the real cost of a new smart phone being buried/mixed in a 2 yr contact.
T-Mobile's had this for a while with their value plans though. I'm still on an older Galaxy Nexus and my wife is on an unlocked iPhone 5, we haven't had a subsidized phone in over 4 years. Paying a grand for a the iPhone 5 hurt a little, but it's what she wanted.
ND40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 21:20   #14
Reswob

Quote:
I dunno, I got my S3 from verizon for $250, final cost, with a 2 year contract. I need the service, so have no issues with being in a contract. I would miss getting a hefty discount on a handset.

I couldn't afford to pay full retail for the S3, so when I went to sign up for my service with verizon I would have had to get whatever I could afford for $300 or less.

Just a few months after launch, what android phones could I get for verizon for $300, brand new? Only something crappy.
Problem is, in the US, retailers jack up the MSRP of their phones so the phone companies can offer you 'huge discounts' if you sign a contract. $800+ for a smartphone? Are you ****ing kidding me? Google's Nexus 4 costs $350, unlocked, no contract. What does that tell you about what the real price of a unlocked smartphone should be? Hell, I bought a low end smartphone last year for ~$150. You telling me the latest Droid whatever has 7-8x more expensive components? Horse****.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 21:52   #15
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Problem is, in the US, retailers jack up the MSRP of their phones so the phone companies can offer you 'huge discounts' if you sign a contract. $800+ for a smartphone? Are you ****ing kidding me? Google's Nexus 4 costs $350, unlocked, no contract. What does that tell you about what the real price of a unlocked smartphone should be? Hell, I bought a low end smartphone last year for ~$150. You telling me the latest Droid whatever has 7-8x more expensive components? Horse****.

Whoop, there it is.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 22:09   #16
brisk21

I really don't mind having a contract with Verizon. I admit, I am more of a hostage than a customer, but you cant beat Verizons service. That is what I pay for. Service. I am just steaming mad that they did away with the unlimited plans. I have 4g service and I don't even care because I am so scared I'll go over my 5gb "limit". What a joke! 4G really means nothing to me due to gygabyte limits.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 22:46   #17
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
I love my prepaid t mobile phone. I guess I'm different then most thou. If I'm more than a few miles from an interstate I never expect my cell phone to work. I don't always have a data signal but the only time I've not had a voice signal was at my mothers house in central ky.

Only ATT covers there and even their service is pretty bad there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-02-2013, 22:51   #18
ND40oz

Quote:
The Nexus 4 is a great deal, semi-high end smart phone that's well supported by Google. Which is why it's taken 4 months for Google to get it out of backorder on the play store. You can pick up a Galaxy S II for $299 or below when Walmart puts it on sale, but for the very latest and greatest, you're going to pay a premium for them.

Microsoft has done the same thing with the Win 8 phones, mid-ranged hardware with a highly optimized OS for it, works well and keeps the phone costs down.
Old 03-02-2013, 23:15   #19
droidfire

Quote:
Well, the new ones coming out soon (maybe not next release, but not long after) will have 8 core processors.

We are looking at multiple gigs of ram, a slew of wireless communications options, maybe even wireless charging.

A nexus at $350 is probably about fair, a top tier device at retail of $700 would probably be fair something around $500.

All things being equal, the consumer makes out on cost in most cases with the cost defray of a 2 year agreement.

Think, if I need the service anyway, when I signed a new 2 year agreement with verizon they only charged me $250 for a device at $750 full retail price.

If a fair price on that would actually be around $500, then i'm $250 ahead - you surely don't think the carriers are going to magically make their plans cheaper if they do away with subsidized phones, do you?
Old 03-03-2013, 00:14   #20
Slug71

This actually sounds pretty attractive. Pretty cool that they will still offer installments for phones too.
I wonder how the pricing will be though.
Will be watching this closely because they are the only other post-paid carrier to offer "unlimited" date besides Sprint.
Sprint may have to do something similar to compete if this kicks off well.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:08   #21
Trapped_in_Kali

Quote:

But do you NEED a smart phone or do you want one? Does your job require you to have one? If so does it HAVE to be a top of the line one?

I think with 99% of the people it is WANT.

Quote:
Compare the "Crappy" smart phone to the top of the line of 10 years ago...........

Lastly compare what your plan is charging you to what you would pay with out subsidizing the S3, I pay $30 a month for unlimited 4G text & data.

Last edited by Trapped_in_Kali; 03-03-2013 at 03:11..
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:27   #22
jdw174

Around my neck of the woods, if you want RELIABLE signals/service you'd better be packing either Verizon or StraightTalk that utilizes the Verizon network. Even the ATT service people who occasionally come to my house can't get a signal on their work cells. All the other services are available to purchase, but I wouldn't trust them in this area at all.
jdw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31   #23
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post

I bet they don't bother to adjust the rates of their plans since they won't be subsidizing a phone any longer.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18   #24
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
T-Mobile doesn't work anywhere near me. AT&T has spotty areas, but Verizon only has a few small holes with no coverage.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:23   #25
ND40oz

Quote:
If a fair price on that would actually be around $500, then i'm $250 ahead - you surely don't think the carriers are going to magically make their plans cheaper if they do away with subsidized phones, do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
I bet they don't bother to adjust the rates of their plans since they won't be subsidizing a phone any longer.
T-Mobiles plans already are cheaper if you go with the unsubsidized model. Classic plan with unlimited everything and hotspot is $95 a month, the unsubsidized value plan with the same options is $75 a month. If you want to do month to month, it's $70 a month but you can't have mobile hotspot option.