SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2013, 16:24   #1
gosnmic
Re:member

Left Handed Gen 4 Experience?

I have a left-handed friend looking to get a pistol... Naturally I want to recommend a Glock - but is there anyone that can give direct left-handed-shooting experience with the Gen 4 pistols (or perhaps an old thread to point to -- I didn't find any with my searching)?? pros/cons, recommendations/limitations, etc? For example, I know there's the reversible mag-release, but is the slides-stop release an issue for lefty shooters?

Thanks for any insight!
Old 03-02-2013, 16:38   #2
arshooterone

Left handed shooter here and prefer to release the magazine with my index finger. Just the way I learned to do it before the mag release was ambi. For a new shooter Gen 4 would probably be better. As far as the slide release, I rarely use it. Empty mag, drop it, new mag, rack the slide, shoot and repeat. Is there any handgun manufactures that put the slide release on the other side? I can't think of any.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
arshooterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 16:40   #3
cfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshooterone View Post
Is there any handgun manufactures that put the slide release on the other side? I can't think of any.

The Walther PPQ is totally ambi. Im a lefty, and love mine.

Edit: I also have a Gen 4 22, which I've had a love/ hate thing with for 3 years now.

Last edited by cfr; 03-02-2013 at 16:41..
cfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 16:46   #4
gosnmic

Thanks arshooterone! - I couldn't think of anyone (gun manufacturers) with *complete* left-handed ambidextrous working (complete with slide release) -- I appreciate the first-hand input from other left-handed shooters!
Old 03-02-2013, 16:52   #5
gosnmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfr View Post
The Walther PPQ is totally ambi. Im a lefty, and love mine.

Edit: I also have a Gen 4 22, which I've had a love/ hate thing with for 3 years now.
Thanks CFR - I'll have to check that out ... not being a lefty myself I realize there could be a fairly big difference firing left-handed (everything from operating the action to reloading, etc.) -- definitely want their first experience operating their firearm to be positive (which can be completely oriented to their right/left handedness).
Old 03-02-2013, 16:54   #6
Shinytop

Beretta Storms are completely ambi also. I have a PX4 Compact in addition to my G30.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 19:03   #7
eddy t

left handed G26 & G19 shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshooterone View Post
Left handed shooter here and prefer to release the magazine with my index finger. Just the way I learned to do it before the mag release was ambi. For a new shooter Gen 4 would probably be better. As far as the slide release, I rarely use it. Empty mag, drop it, new mag, rack the slide, shoot and repeat. Is there any handgun manufactures that put the slide release on the other side? I can't think of any.

i feel the same way except i release the mag with my left middle finger, been doing it so long now it seems natural. even on my ambi mag release guns i use the same left finger.
eddy t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 23:53   #8
rolltide_pisco
NRA Life Member

I switched the mag release. I just rack the slide and keep on shooting. Worse case scenario if I ever sell it I just switch the release back.
rolltide_pisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:16   #9
ssdrew

My wife is a lefty, she had a hard time with the mag release on my gen 3 17, the slide release wasnt an issue for her after I showed her to slingshot the slide after a full mag was inserted. She prefers the m&p line since the mag release can be swapped for a left handed shooter. It also has full ambi slide lock lever. Wish I had some insight on the gen 4, but I havent picked one up yet...still waiting
ssdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:21   #10
backcast88

I am left handed and I do not swap the mag release over on my 26 gen4. I do not move the mag release b/c all my other pistols (except my M&P) moving the mag release is not an option and I want everything the same on all my pistols.

As for the slide lock. I install an extended version to give me a little more surface area if I want to use my index finger. But I usually just rack the slide with my other hand and keep on going.

I bought an M&P b/c I got a great deal on one. The mag release can be moved and it has an ambi slide lock. The ergos are better then my Glock but the Glock shoots a lot better. If I had to do it all over again I would have paid the extra money for a 17.
backcast88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 17:33   #11
Stlbrian

Another lefty here, and I shoot a Gen 4 G23. I went Gen 4 because I honestly thought I would like the magazine release reversed. I was wrong, it just feels unnatural. I use my index finger. I have to pivot my grip just slightly to hit the release, still a 1 handed operation though. I actually have to move my hand less to use my index finger than to use my thumb.

As for the slide release, I purchased an extended 1, and installed it, it helped, but like the others here have said, I rarely use it. After a few weeks I replaced it with the stock 1, and my thought process was that if I was not using it, then why have the extra metal sticking out, and run the tiny risk of it getting caught on something.
Old 03-03-2013, 19:18   #12
phil evans

g26g4.
ambi is the reason i waited and then went with glock.
Old 03-03-2013, 20:13   #13
Jim85IROC

G35 gen 4 here. Like most lefties, I'm completely used to doing everything ass backward. The ambi controls on some guns were nice, but I find them unnecessary. The ergos on the glock work fine for me. The only issue that I found was that the extended mag release is very intrusive on my trigger finger. Fortunately the standard release isn't in the way at all.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:11   #14
markerbeacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosnmic View Post
I have a left-handed friend looking to get a pistol... Naturally I want to recommend a Glock - but is there anyone that can give direct left-handed-shooting experience with the Gen 4 pistols (or perhaps an old thread to point to -- I didn't find any with my searching)?? pros/cons, recommendations/limitations, etc? For example, I know there's the reversible mag-release, but is the slides-stop release an issue for lefty shooters?

Thanks for any insight!
FNH FNS 9mm or 40 S&W, great for LH folks (like me).
markerbeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 22:14   #15
MAXG

LEFTY with two gen4s. Switched the mag release. Installed extended slide release. All is good.

MG

-----
Above all cursed be the tame, dull spirit which bears life's evils patiently. - Faust
MAXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 22:20   #16
vetterestorer

I am left handed and like my gen 3's stock. As a lefty, a right handed safety on a pistol is hard for me to fluidly turn off. Magazine release -- no problem
vetterestorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 22:40   #17
Lnguyen9

I am leftie and own g17 gen4. After switch the mag release, I am good to go. The case spit out on the right but I never got hit with it.
Lnguyen9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:31   #18
silversport

Southpaw who has found it easier to use the controls as designed for the righty then to change out the mag release or other controls on some pistols but not others...

I also found out way back when I tried the switched mag release on a SiG (about 1987 or so) that it can create other issues...like some holsters aren't relieved for the mag in the other position and you could end up pressing the mag rerelease with the holster when you don't intend to...not good...

I have a Gen4 G21 and G30...no changes but for Trijicon night sights...

Bill

Last edited by silversport; 03-04-2013 at 05:31..
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:03   #19
SouthpawG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
G35 gen 4 here. Like most lefties, I'm completely used to doing everything ass backward. The ambi controls on some guns were nice, but I find them unnecessary. The ergos on the glock work fine for me..
There's a prison shower joke in there somewhere..

But I agree, I don't change anything regardless of generation.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:17   #20
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

I'm so used to using my index finger. When I first got my ambi 1911, I still did it the same way.
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
left hand, left handed glock users, lefty