Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-03-2013, 21:48   #21
vafish

I've shot trap with a 12" pistol grip shotgun. I've taught quite a few others to do it as well.

Tactical Shotguns

But, it's more of a fun thing to do, my home defense shotguns have shoulder stocks.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20   #22
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Looks like fun, I should stop by sometime so we can shoot some trap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50   #23
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

I like a pistol grip. On the stock. Stockless shotguns just aren't as useful/versatile as a shotgun with a stock, folding or otherwise.
Old 03-04-2013, 15:13   #24
josp

I have the Raptor grip on the Maverick 88, 18" barrel. Works for me and rides better in the truck than a full size stock.
Haven't decided if I want to put another on the Super Shorty. I'm pretty good with that one too.
But I also have an 11-87 with regular stock in the bedroom. Depends on what I want to use it for as to which I'll go with.
josp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36   #25
Unk

No vertical butt stroke option..wait, that was when the U.S. military had full size wood stocked rifles and trained in bayonet use including vertical and horizontal butt strokes.

Olden days..neither good nor bad, just not now.
Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 20:15   #26
On the Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
i had one, no real reason why i don't use a pg for home defense.

it started as pg fore and aft. the reasen why that had to change was obvious on the first shot.

I have PG's fore and aft. I like it. Also has a light with pressure switch. Set it up that way about 18 yrs ago. Not for everyone but thats why cars come in different colors.
Old 03-06-2013, 19:27   #27
John B

I like mine a lot. I use .220 steel buck no buffer hand loads, for a backpacking weapon against cats. The loads spread very quick and I can hit most anything inside 20 yards fast. I don't use it for HD its quicker to tap my safe code and grab a hand gun. But to date I have never actually used any thing for home defense, and hope I never do.
John B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:13   #28
Blowout

Here's a technique using the pg. Not my cup of tea, but interesting.

cracombat.com
Old 03-09-2013, 04:41   #29
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

That just turns the grip into a stock.....

Your shoulder won't thank you. Aiming seems to be a bit of an issue too.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:57   #30
Blast
'nuff said

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Last edited by Blast; 03-09-2013 at 05:27..
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 15:35   #31
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Hitting a gong on a target range in broad daylight under zero stress with time to prepare is one thing, doing so in the dark, under stress, under adrenaline dump is another.

The major good point in a long gun is it provides more contact points with the weapon and makes it easier to aim.
Affirm. Absolutely. Good points. Folks ought not to dismiss them without some very careful thought .. AND some experience.

When you've seen some folks hold a shotgun at their hip, using the standard stock's "pistol" grip, or an actual pistol grip ... and then MISS an entire magazine tube's worth of buckshot ... standing still and shooting at a stationary target only 3-5 yards distant, it makes this question a lot easier to answer.

Now, throw in the unexpected chaos of a dynamic & rapidly evolving situation, occurring in bad light, with either the victim or the armed attacker (or BOTH) engaged in movement ... and then some folks might be wishing for any advantage in being able to better index or aim the shotgun to optimal effect.

Yes, the PG-quipped shotgun is easier & faster to handle within a tight environment ... but it's not going to be helpful if you're missing the intended target (and hitting something/someone else that ought NOT to be shot).

Equipment is often something best considered within a situational context ... combined with training/practice and experience.

The "tactical" advantages are best optimized and utilized within the mindset and decision-making of the equipment user.

Oh yeah ... butt-strokes. Really?

Inserting that topic in the defensive usage of a shotgun by untrained & inexperienced private persons is just another way to talk about how to most easily lose safe & effective control of the weapon and hand it over to an attacker, as well as how to sweep EVERYTHING & EVERYONE else (other than the attacker) with the muzzle.

Just my thoughts, though.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 03-09-2013 at 18:25..
fastbolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 15:39   #32
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4516 View Post
I have PG's fore and aft. I like it. Also has a light with pressure switch. Set it up that way about 18 yrs ago. Not for everyone but thats why cars come in different colors.
that was exactly the set up i had. that fore grip proved unwieldy to me.

replaced it with the standard mossberg foregrip. became a fine shooter.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:57   #33
MajorD

At hd ranges the shotgun is really a large bore rifle as there is no time/ distance for the shot pattern to spread. Hip shooting is not the answer- getting the gun to eye level to aim makes for difficult shooting with a pistol grip. Just not practical.
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:09   #34
Buffering
The Cooler

At times I wonder if PGs weren't pimped so much in the movies, would anyone ever be smitten by one. I don't really think so and now we spend lots of time trying to un#uck that perception.

And people who are in love with PG only stocks are almost universally people who've never shot one, much less with a 25 count box of high bass brass. Still, I suppose that's part of the maturity and growing process and a PG, in the end, is a cheap expirement.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:35   #35
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffering View Post
At times I wonder if PGs weren't pimped so much in the movies, would anyone ever be smitten by one. I don't really think so and now we spend lots of time trying to un#uck that perception.

And people who are in love with PG only stocks are almost universally people who've never shot one, much less with a 25 count box of high bass brass. Still, I suppose that's part of the maturity and growing process and a PG, in the end, is a cheap expirement.
True enough.

At least the experiment is reversible easily and the experimenter will still have an excellent weapon when they outgrow the phase.

It's just another idea. like hooked trigger guards on semi pistols and holding a Glock sideways like a Gangsta, that give the rest of us practice smiling and eyerolling and thinking "this too shall pass".
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:13   #36
USMC03Grunt

Well, a quick search would have probably turned up the same story that has been mentioned before here again, and again, and again, and again... but oh wait, why not dig up that dead horse a little more and give it a few more whacks again?!?! Although, the shotgun fail clips Blast put up with the fat chick and the skin head were pretty good!
But I'm really tired of this whole debate. Bottom line is that you do whatever it is that helps you sleep at night. It's not my arse that will be depending on a PGO shotgun and I really don't care what you do anymore. So you take a PGO shotgun and run with it, alright.
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote