SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 14:55   #1
digilo

Buffalo Bore 100 gr HC .380 +P

I usually prefer a bigger gun and heavier bullet but summer's coming and I don't wear jeans much in the summer, so the G27 sits in a safe. I like something light to drop in a pocket and go, and Airweights and Ultralights are scarce around here. This little BG380 came up at a decent price so I nabbed it for pocket carry.

I was after something better than Lawman 90 gr TMJ- that was all the range had for ammo. I browsed around on Midways site and found BB 100 gr +P HC, in stock, so I ordered 2 boxes of this for my S&W Bodyguard .380. I read good things about this load, and the non +P BB 100 gr HC load, and the Corbon 80 gr JHP, but this was in stock at Midwayusa, and I was after something better than Lawman 90 gr TMJ.

It's 100 gr vs the usual 90, flat-nose vs round FMJ so it should crush tissue instead of deflecting it, and it should penetrate in a straight line, instead of being deflected or tumbling. BB loads this fairly hot, so even from the 380BG I should get ME in the mid-200s.

Thoughts on this load?
Old 03-09-2013, 15:03   #2
9mm +p+

Leave a similar sized 27 at home for a 380? I wouldn't do that, it just kills me how folks downsize just because they wear shorts or dress clothes. I dress for the gun not vice versa, if you NEED your carry gun you REALLY need it. A 380 no matter the load is a 380, a sub par defensive caliber no matter how you cut it, the 40 on the other hand is a solid choice.
Old 03-09-2013, 15:03   #3
digilo

goody

YOU can dress to carry a Glock 27 in HOTASS SOUTHEAST TEXAS, but LIKE I SAID, my summer clothes are shorts and light stuff.

Does anybody else have anything relevant to relate about the load I asked about in the first post, without dragging this down into a caliber debate?

Last edited by digilo; 03-09-2013 at 15:08..
Old 03-09-2013, 15:29   #4
Kentguy

digilo,

Normally I carry a G26, but like yourself if I have a suit or light clothing in the summer I carry my Bersa Thunder 380.

Along with my Bersa I have it loaded with Hornady 90g FTX cartridges, I also have some of my own reloads however they are with the Hornady 90g XTP bullet. They work very well for an EDC ammo choice as well.

Just for a bit of perspective digilo, a Hornady 90g FTX will go through a 2" x 4" piece of hard yellow pine. Just think what it will do through soft tissue?

Out of my 3.5" barrel these rounds and a very manageable kick and re-acquisition of your target is very fast shot after shot.

I understand others opinions about this caliber being "better" than that one and that's all fine. Everyone has to have complete confidence in the load that they are going to trust their life with - so I get that, but sometimes a bit of real life experience helps you understand just what is right for you to carry.

Here is another test/perspective to help you make up your mind about this of other 380 loads to carry.

I hope with will help you with your choice for carry ammo.

Good luck and be safe out there.

Last edited by Kentguy; 03-09-2013 at 15:32..
Old 03-09-2013, 17:41   #5
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digilo View Post
I was after something better than Lawman 90 gr TMJ-... I browsed around on Midways site and found BB 100 gr +P HC, in stock, so I ordered 2 boxes of this for my S&W Bodyguard .380.

Thoughts on this load?
I did the same thing!!! I got some BB HP 90gr, some BB FN 95gr and some of the 100 gr HP stuff, too. I am using a Bersa Thunder CC .380 and thought those loads would be good in the smaller gun for a "better than nothing" carry. Also a grab-N-go type thing for quick carry. Midway must be pleased with all the BB .380 ammo they recently sold.

I can't wait to try it, it looks pretty effective for the .380s. I am pretty sure I'll be happy with it.

I also gave in to temptation for some of the BB .357 125gr HP. It's rated at 1700fps!!! That should be smokin'!!!

And thank you very much, Kentguy, for posting that video. I think I have some of that Hornady FTX stuff, too, because I've been sucking up .380 lately as it was HARD to find anything good.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Old 03-09-2013, 18:04   #6
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
goody

YOU can dress to carry a Glock 27 in HOTASS SOUTHEAST TEXAS, but LIKE I SAID, my summer clothes are shorts and light stuff.

Does anybody else have anything relevant to relate about the load I asked about in the first post, without dragging this down into a caliber debate?
I have an LCP and right now it has the Fiocchi Extrema 90 grain XTP loads in it. I have also used Remington 102 grain BJHPs and fmjs in it. All are standard pressure and get decent penetration for the caliber. I don't use the +Ps inb my LCP because Ruger recommends against it and it only has a 4 ounce slide. Others here at GT have posted about loading the 100 grainer you mentioned and liking it so they may show up. I know the BG380 is a bit heavier than the LCP so the +Ps should be a bit more comfortable to shoot in it than the LCP.
Old 03-09-2013, 18:12   #7
M 7

Quote:
I usually prefer a bigger gun and heavier bullet but summer's coming and I don't wear jeans much in the summer, so the G27 sits in a safe. I like something light to drop in a pocket and go, and Airweights and Ultralights are scarce around here. This little BG380 came up at a decent price so I nabbed it for pocket carry.

I was after something better than Lawman 90 gr TMJ- that was all the range had for ammo. I browsed around on Midways site and found BB 100 gr +P HC, in stock, so I ordered 2 boxes of this for my S&W Bodyguard .380. I read good things about this load, and the non +P BB 100 gr HC load, and the Corbon 80 gr JHP, but this was in stock at Midwayusa, and I was after something better than Lawman 90 gr TMJ.

It's 100 gr vs the usual 90, flat-nose vs round FMJ so it should crush tissue instead of deflecting it, and it should penetrate in a straight line, instead of being deflected or tumbling. BB loads this fairly hot, so even from the 380BG I should get ME in the mid-200s.

Thoughts on this load?
Sounds good to me.

According to the Schwartz bullet penetration formula, at an advertised muzzle velocity of 1150 fps, the BB 100 gr. HCFN should penetrate 23.7" (and crush about an ounce of tissue along the way) which agrees with BB's claim that, "You can expect 20+ inches of straight-line penetration in flesh and bone with this load."

I've got about 150 rounds of the Federal .380 95 gr FMJFN and will probably give the BB load some serious consideration the next time I am in the market for .380 ammo.

Last edited by M 7; 03-09-2013 at 18:17..
Old 03-09-2013, 19:35   #8
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
goody

YOU can dress to carry a Glock 27 in HOTASS SOUTHEAST TEXAS, but LIKE I SAID, my summer clothes are shorts and light stuff...

I live smack dab on the Border and carry a service size semi auto everyday with a .38 backup.

'Tis far better to be alive at the end of the day than to die dressed like Justin Bieber and carrying a .380.

Old 03-09-2013, 19:48   #9
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I live smack dab on the Border and carry a service size semi auto everyday with a .38 backup.

'Tis far better to be alive at the end of the day than to die dressed like Justin Bieber and carrying a .380.

Do you get excited thinking about Justin with a 380?
Old 03-09-2013, 19:59   #10
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26S239 View Post
Do you get excited thinking about Justin with a 380?

No, I just wear Big Boy pants and carry a man's gun to do a man's job as I know this is a life & death matter and not a fashion show.
Old 03-09-2013, 23:11   #11
digilo

Well, I relax and walk around dressed like a normal person, not some wannabe Tacticool Operator in 5.11s and a black tee.

Last edited by digilo; 03-09-2013 at 23:11..
Old 03-09-2013, 23:13   #12
digilo

Thanks to the others who had something constructive to say.
Old 03-09-2013, 23:19   #13
Clusterfrack

When I need to go light, I carry a p238 with BB 100 gr hard cast +p. That's a very hot .380 load.
Old 03-09-2013, 23:26   #14
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Thanks to the others who had something constructive to say.

Hey amigo, we haven't talked in a while, hope all is well !

Man the BB HC bullet is "the way to go" if your going to carry that .380 bug gun. Even out of a .380, a 100+gr HC bullet will give you 'very decent penetration'. JHP's are a major no no in a small bug gun/caliber, and 'no matter the design or "fad" at the moment' they enjoy by those who get off on seeing them open like a spider in Gel. They 'are not' going to do that in the real world against all you face on a BG coming at ya.

You know I am a big bore fan, as much as we've talked, but I always suggest to those who do carry the .380, the HC bullets, as heavy as their gun will reliably shoot.

If your going to carry the .380 for 'whatever reason', then amigo, you'll make the best choice of ammo with the 100+gr HC and the one's from BB are 'very reliable'. They make a very good product.

Stay safe !
watch your six, I've found that hardly anyone else will ! ha.

Give me a shout when ya can.

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
Old 03-10-2013, 04:48   #15
Berto
woo woo

I get the whole idea that a G27 is a huge improvement over a BG 380....but in what ****ed up world did someone conclude these guns are 'similar' size?!

IMO, the BB 100gr HC is a s good as it gets if you're toting a .380....penetration IS the cake, it gets that.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:03   #16
digilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Hey amigo, we haven't talked in a while, hope all is well !

Man the BB HC bullet is "the way to go" if your going to carry that .380 bug gun. Even out of a .380, a 100+gr HC bullet will give you 'very decent penetration'. JHP's are a major no no in a small bug gun/caliber, and 'no matter the design or "fad" at the moment' they enjoy by those who get off on seeing them open like a spider in Gel. They 'are not' going to do that in the real world against all you face on a BG coming at ya.

You know I am a big bore fan, as much as we've talked, but I always suggest to those who do carry the .380, the HC bullets, as heavy as their gun will reliably shoot.

If your going to carry the .380 for 'whatever reason', then amigo, you'll make the best choice of ammo with the 100+gr HC and the one's from BB are 'very reliable'. They make a very good product.

Stay safe !
watch your six, I've found that hardly anyone else will ! ha.

Give me a shout when ya can.

CanyonMan
Mah Big Boolet Buddy!

Somehow I figured you'd be in favor of the 100 grainer..... :D

I agree, CM, and the others who said it- I don't care to use JHP in a 2.75" barreled .380. I'm staying with a non-expanding round.

I was unsure about spending $60 for 40 rounds of ammo ($45 + $15 shipping) for a non-expanding round, when I have Lawman FMJ here. But aside from the 10 gr difference in weight, the HC's flat nose will help it keep a straight path once it hits flesh. The FMJ tends to tumble, albeit after 7-8" of penetration. That's why I went with the 100HC, instead of Speer FMJ.

My main concern was, will the round batter the gun and cause an early trip back to S&W? And after reading about people using it in their BG380s, I think it'll be fine for the amount I'll shoot at the range.

La comes huev'!

Adios muchacho,
Digilo

Last edited by digilo; 03-10-2013 at 09:03..
Old 03-10-2013, 10:55   #17
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
... My main concern was, will the round batter the gun and cause an early trip back to S&W? And after reading about people using it in their BG380s, I think it'll be fine for the amount I'll shoot at the range.
I feel the Bersa Thunder 380 IS a "mouse gun" because it is small and much lighter than my Glocks, S&W, etc. So I wrote to Bersa's distributor and they told me +P loads were OK, just not too many because they punish the gun. I figured as much.

But I don't plan on using the BB +P FN or HP or whatever all the time! It's TOO EXPENSIVE, first off, and I don't need to shoot it. Other than initial testing for reliability, the +P stuff will be retired and kept in one magazine loaded for CC use only when carried. I think that should be a good balance.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00   #18
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
... Man the BB HC bullet is "the way to go" if your going to carry that .380 bug gun. Even out of a .380, a 100+gr HC bullet will give you 'very decent penetration'. JHP's are a major no no in a small bug gun/caliber ...
Canyon man, interesting point. Do you really think a FN bullet preferable to a +P HP round in .380? I'd have suspected that with good penetration, the HP bullet would give a larger wound channel. Yes, the FN wouldn't be anything to scoff at, but I just reasoned that HP at +P pressure would be the #1 choice, FN +P being the second. Thanks for your input. Food for thought....

Old 03-10-2013, 11:03   #19
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 7 View Post
According to the Schwartz bullet penetration formula, at an advertised muzzle velocity of 1150 fps, the BB 100 gr. HCFN should penetrate 23.7" (and crush about an ounce of tissue along the way) which agrees with BB's claim that, "You can expect 20+ inches of straight-line penetration in flesh and bone with this load."
I LIKE IT!!! Is this the first of many "according to the Schwartz formula" posts? I wondered how long it woujld take you to start using that book for some very informative posts about ammo and its effectiveness. Good deal!!! Now, you've made me want to try harder and/or get my grandson and a calculator to do some! )

Last edited by robhic; 03-10-2013 at 11:03..
Old 03-10-2013, 13:23   #20
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhic View Post
I LIKE IT!!! Is this the first of many "according to the Schwartz formula" posts? I wondered how long it woujld take you to start using that book for some very informative posts about ammo and its effectiveness. Good deal!!! Now, you've made me want to try harder and/or get my grandson and a calculator to do some! )
I've made similar posts in the past, but they are easy to miss if you aren't/weren't looking for them.

As for the grand-kids- that's what they are there for- mathematical slave-labor.

Just throw in a couple of cans of Coke and a candy bar (or two) and they'll work for hours!

Last edited by M 7; 03-10-2013 at 13:26..

Closed Thread