Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-24-2013, 17:14   #1
Dawolf

Still more gouging?

Snowed today, so I went to the indoor range to shoot my new G-36. Range time prices doubled! Many of the gun shops in my area have been gouging everyone on gun, magazine (not clips as used by the lame-stream media) and ammo. So this is the next. They had very little ammo, magazines and guns to sell, so?????? Needles to say, I will wait for better weather.
Dawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 17:18   #2
michael e

I went yesterday , spent little over 2 hours and was still only $9. I did pay $5 to much for a lb of powder but they have always been high and since I couldn't find online wasn't that big of a deal.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 17:24   #3
Dawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael e View Post
I went yesterday , spent little over 2 hours and was still only $9. I did pay $5 to much for a lb of powder but they have always been high and since I couldn't find online wasn't that big of a deal.
Well the range was empty, and considering the weather, it always crowded on weekends as well. Oh yeah, I left out the increased costs of reloading supplies.
Old 02-24-2013, 17:57   #4
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawolf View Post
Snowed today, so I went to the indoor range to shoot my new G-36. Range time prices doubled! Many of the gun shops in my area have been gouging everyone on gun, magazine (not clips as used by the lame-stream media) and ammo. So this is the next. They had very little ammo, magazines and guns to sell, so?????? Needles to say, I will wait for better weather.
The only thing I've purchased from a gun store since all this BS started was a AR lower. Since then everything has nearly doubled in price around here. Needless to say, they won't be getting a dime from me until some level of sanity returns to the price tags.
Old 02-24-2013, 18:38   #5
Dawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
The only thing I've purchased from a gun store since all this BS started was a AR lower. Since then everything has nearly doubled in price around here. Needless to say, they won't be getting a dime from me until some level of sanity returns to the price tags.
Nor will I. One shop in my area is still fair. He is taking care of his regulars and rationing.
Old 02-24-2013, 18:58   #6
G23c

everything shooting related is going a bit crazy. whats next? a run on Pro Ears?
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 19:02   #7
Narkcop

A local gunshop here in Lexington,KY put me on a waiting list for a S&W shield a few months ago. They sold their last one for $425- they called to tell me one had come in for me. When I went to pick it up they wanted $559- saying that they were bringing more on GB. I said "No Thanks". I will not be buying there again.
Narkcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 19:19   #8
Ruggles

Agree, those folks doing this to their base customers are betting on short term gains, I think they will end up on the losing side of that bet.
Ruggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 19:24   #9
Dawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Agree, those folks doing this to their base customers are betting on short term gains, I think they will end up on the losing side of that bet.
I got kicked out of one shop when I hinted that voting for B.O. worked out well for them.
Old 02-24-2013, 20:13   #10
Ruggles

Quote:
I got kicked out of one shop when I hinted that voting for B.O. worked out well for them.
Ruggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 20:46   #11
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkcop View Post
A local gunshop here in Lexington,KY put me on a waiting list for a S&W shield a few months ago. They sold their last one for $425- they called to tell me one had come in for me. When I went to pick it up they wanted $559- saying that they were bringing more on GB. I said "No Thanks". I will not be buying there again.
People were paying stupid prices for a Shield before the crisis hit. I've seen $675. We've been getting gouged on the price of gas for nearly 8 years yet nobody seems to care. We keep going back to bend over again for more.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 20:58   #12
D4RWlN

Quote:
lol. Awesome.

Many businesses and people are showing their true colors. Hopefully people will remember.
Old 02-24-2013, 21:29   #13
Dawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkcop View Post
I think the veteran gunners are generally doing what you did. It is the panicked newbies that are really suckers.
Old 02-25-2013, 20:37   #14
Ron36105

Quote:
I think the veteran gunners are generally doing what you did. It is the panicked newbies that are really suckers.
Yea I agree, The bad thing is that the panicked newbies are driving the prices up so high when they finally come back down they will still be through the roof. And so many of them have jumped on OUR sport or hobby that it might never go back to the way it was.
Ron36105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 21:14   #15
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
ain't no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4RWlN View Post
Many businesses and people are showing their true colors. Hopefully people will remember.
Know what you mean.... I've been watching GB for 9mm ammo, seems to be about the only place to buy it now, but I just can't bring myself to pay 50 cents a round for FMJ. I am however tempted to sell some of my 115gr SD ammo for $1.00 a round, I prefer 124gr.

Last edited by OldSchool64; 02-26-2013 at 10:11..
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 23:06   #16
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

I can see increasing a price by some percentage on an annual basis or as costs rise, but for it to instantly double seems a bit ludicrous. I guess if they have a sharp enough decline in traffic they might decrease their prices to spark interest again.
Old 02-26-2013, 00:29   #17
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
ain't no one

I believe it'll take a few months but I'm expecting 9mm FMJ to become readily available for around $.25 a round. I'll wait, and shoot my 9mm's sparingly for awhile.

Looks like I'll be shooting more .45's & .357's.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07   #18
Bruce M

Some of us who have been shooting for decades remember various other times of short supply of some types of ammunition and remember a time when there were only perhaps a dozen different commonly carried handguns and concealed carry was an option afforded to far fewer people. Some of us from that view happen to like to see newcomers to shooting and gun owning as one or two of believe that will be much better for us long term than any temporary short term problems.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:10   #19
Kyle M.

My LGS has not been gouging and his prices haven't gone up a bit, he's even been keeping AR's, hi-cap mags, and ammo in stock for about three weeks now. It looks like the craziness has pretty much subsided here.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Pedersoli Rolling Block .45-70
Kyle M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:18   #20
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
ain't no one

I must say... The high volume of sales really says something, and I like that! I just have a problem with the gougers. But then I guess that's the rule of supply and demand.