Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:23   #1
sidebite252

Gun Show Madness

Yesterday the wife and I decided to go to our first Gun Show. I figured I'd find what I was looking for (G17 or G19) at a good price, as well as find the right person to purchase it from so they could get me started with the basics of the pistol. I was actually prepared to purchase a coupld of pistols. We were both excited.................... After stopping and taking in a nice lunch we arrived at the "show".

HOLY COW! I'd say we were there less than a 1/2 hour. Couldn't get out quick enough. People, people, people (a lot of rude people.) I attempted to look at a couple of Glocks as well as a few others but it was impossible to get a look at anything with the hoards of folks all bunched up like this was the last oportunity to every buy a firearm ever! I'm sure this has really gotten worse of recent but wife and I laughed it off, drove back to god country (many miles from the metroplex) grabbed a 6 pack and went to watch the sunset on the beach of our local lake (no people around and that was awesome.)

I'll keep looking but I found the prices a bit higher than I expected what few guns I did look at (but that wasn't the biggest issue - it was too many peeps!) and I may never go back to a "gun show". That's just crazy. I'm mean, too many people in one place crazy.
sidebite252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:40   #2
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Bad time for gun/ammo/mag buying right now. Just give it some time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Joshhtn; 02-24-2013 at 09:40..
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:21   #3
bac1023

Finding decent prices at a gun show right now is simply not going to happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:43   #4
JDSTG58

Last show I was at a vender was selling Wolf steel 223 $700 for 500 rounds. The really scary thing was he was able to sell out before noon.
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:19   #5
XDMUSER

I too went to a gun show yesterday. Pretty funny to see all the people scurrying around! There were more good deals than I expected, just nothing I was looking for.

I did however see something very strange to me at least. I thought the drug dealers I see at our local malls had massive wads of cash! You should have seen the bank rolls the Amish guys were toting around. Holy cow them boys had some dough! I ***** you not, this Amish guy whipped out at least a 10k knot at the NRA raffle ticket booth.

If not for his home made oversized jeans, he was not getting that knot in his pocket. I could not help but pray for him. If the wrong person saw it, he might be in trouble.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by XDMUSER; 02-24-2013 at 11:21..
XDMUSER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:51   #6
pogo2

I gave up on gun shows several years ago...

For a number of years I attended the big gun show held in my area about 3 times a year. I bought guns, ammo and other supplies there on a regular basis. I ignored the vendors selling beef jerky, crude bumper stickers and Hitler memorabilia. I thought the gun-related pricing was pretty favorable.

But gradually the crowds kept getting larger and the vendors ruder, until it wasn't that pleasant an experience. I began using the Internet more and more to find what I needed, either locally or online. I concluded that the Internet was quicker, more efficient and easier than tramping around the gun show and fighting the crowds.

So I stopped going to gun shows several years ago and now don't miss them at all.
pogo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 13:04   #7

Gun shows are great! I get to see lots of friends and vendors who I only see at gunshows. Plus, I can buy and trade with them before the public gets a chance. I usually set up a table with a couple of friends to make a few bucks selling. I might come home with an acquisition or two.

The big spring gun show is next weekend and I'll be selling mags and ammo I've gambled and bought over that last four years in anticipation of a big sales down the line. I'm thinking it'll be a full house of impulse buyers. Cha Ching!

I love selling to people who refuse to haggle!

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 02-24-2013 at 13:05..
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 13:08   #8
G29SFWTF

sidebite, why not peruse the local online classified forums. In Texas there are these three that I have bookmarked. So much easier to meet locally plus no taxes or fees.

http://texasguntrader.com

http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/texas

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/guns-sale/
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 14:57   #9
p01ic3m4n

Gun shows are great to fondle the hardware, but online is the best place to make a purchase. In North Texas, Sportingarms in Lewisville would be where I'd order from, then patiently wait for it to arrive.
p01ic3m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 15:04   #10
sonoma

Went to the grand national gun show in Tulsa this weekend, just to get out of the house.Glock mags were $50.00 a piece, all mags were high.Also saw a 100 round box of wwb at $50.00. I was lucky enough to score the same box of wwb the day before for $25.00 at walmart including tax.Didn't buy anything and probably wont at the next gun show either.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 15:26   #11
mingaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDMUSER View Post
I too went to a gun show yesterday. Pretty funny to see all the people scurrying around! There were more good deals than I expected, just nothing I was looking for.

I did however see something very strange to me at least. I thought the drug dealers I see at our local malls had massive wads of cash! You should have seen the bank rolls the Amish guys were toting around. Holy cow them boys had some dough! I ***** you not, this Amish guy whipped out at least a 10k knot at the NRA raffle ticket booth.

If not for his home made oversized jeans, he was not getting that knot in his pocket. I could not help but pray for him. If the wrong person saw it, he might be in trouble.

I grew up near Amish country in Ohio. They do business in cash. They also know guns and use them as part of daily life. They are men of conviction. What else do you think he had in his baggy clothes? He wasn't alone - even if it appeared so. He is well aware of what the "English" can do and he's not stupid. I'd love to see an inner city type give him a try! Hehe.
Old 02-24-2013, 15:35   #12
XDMUSER

That was kinda the impression I had. He carried himself rather well. I work in Amish country often but never have dealings with the Amish. They sure can whoop up some good food though. Always look forward to working in those area's in the winter. Also, if you felt like I meant offense to them. That was not my intent. The show was in Dalton, Ohio at the Buckeye Event Center.

Last edited by XDMUSER; 02-24-2013 at 15:38..
XDMUSER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 15:49   #13
MacChiroCtr

Hi, mingaa...

I'm from Logan County in Ohio... lots of Amish. That near your hometown?
Old 02-24-2013, 16:02   #14
Lvs1935

I went to a show fairly recently and it was so packed I couldn't take it. You couldn't even walk down the aisles to look at anything. If a guy had some decent handguns you couldn't hardly work you're way through the pack standing at the table. Everybody was dripping sweat which made it worse and you were shoulder to shoulder. Turned out to be a waste of my time so I bailed pretty fast. I won't be going to another one until things get calmer. Shopping online is a great thing.
Lvs1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 16:28   #15
Ruggles

I am staying away from gun shows until sanity returns. I can get beef jerky at the local corner store.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 21:43   #16
Glock26z

I agree with Ruggles. Gun makers have heard that dealers are raising prices and they are in touch with atf to tell these dealers to reduce their prices to msrp or lower. Dealers say it is SUPPLY AND DEMAND. BULL. I am a wholesaler and I know what the prices are. Since the awb bill is up for debate again,that is one of the excuses I hear. If you see prices higher than retail,WALK AWAY FROM IT. The dealers will have it until they finally drop their wild prices. It will take time. But,prices will fall because this next awb ban bill will not be passed and Obambam knows it already. You can start getting better pricings at your LGS.

i
Glock26z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 21:51   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock26z View Post
I agree with Ruggles. Gun makers have heard that dealers are raising prices and they are in touch with atf to tell these dealers to reduce their prices to msrp or lower. Dealers say it is SUPPLY AND DEMAND. BULL. I am a wholesaler and I know what the prices are. Since the awb bill is up for debate again,that is one of the excuses I hear. If you see prices higher than retail,WALK AWAY FROM IT. The dealers will have it until they finally drop their wild prices. It will take time. But,prices will fall because this next awb ban bill will not be passed and Obambam knows it already. You can start getting better pricings at your LGS.
Explain how is the ATF going to "make" dealers set prices to MSRP or whatever?

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 22:28   #18
sidebite252

Thanks for the tips and links to the sites, and I'll just wait and purchase from the internet or a LGS for my Glocks. Funny, I did go ahead and purchase what was available from a local retail store (a PX4 Storm 9mm "F".) Compared to the prices I saw at the Gun Show I actually got a better deal. I thought I'd be able to find a better deal at a Gun Show but based on what I paid retail/tax/1 year extended warrenty on parts and labor/1 free cleaning I got a better deal from the local retailer. Would love to tap into the knowledge and resources that are at the Gun Shows but I won't be going to another show anytime soon.
sidebite252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 22:30   #19
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebite252 View Post
Yesterday the wife and I decided to go to our first Gun Show. I figured I'd find what I was looking for (G17 or G19) at a good price, as well as find the right person to purchase it from so they could get me started with the basics of the pistol. I was actually prepared to purchase a coupld of pistols. We were both excited.................... After stopping and taking in a nice lunch we arrived at the "show".

HOLY COW! I'd say we were there less than a 1/2 hour. Couldn't get out quick enough. People, people, people (a lot of rude people.) I attempted to look at a couple of Glocks as well as a few others but it was impossible to get a look at anything with the hoards of folks all bunched up like this was the last oportunity to every buy a firearm ever! I'm sure this has really gotten worse of recent but wife and I laughed it off, drove back to god country (many miles from the metroplex) grabbed a 6 pack and went to watch the sunset on the beach of our local lake (no people around and that was awesome.)

I'll keep looking but I found the prices a bit higher than I expected what few guns I did look at (but that wasn't the biggest issue - it was too many peeps!) and I may never go back to a "gun show". That's just crazy. I'm mean, too many people in one place crazy.
YYYYyyyyuuuuuup! Same here.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 22:51   #20
Shockem841

The gun shows around here blow......there full of camo wearing fat bastards that smell like deer piss. Same old crap, the beef jerky guy,the paracord guy,the cheap home made holster guy and the war vet that sells rusty ammo cans.