Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2013, 15:11   #1
DonD

Federal 9mm Ammo

Not too long ago there was a thread asking why Federal bulk 9mm ammo of the type commonly sold by WalMart had a statement telling the user not to fire the ammo in ported guns.

I called their tech line about 5-6 weeks ago and never got a response. Called again today and they returned the call.

He said the slugs are plated not true jacketed FMJs and that's the reason for the warning.

Took the opportunity to ask some more questions. He said places like Cheaperthandirt are indeed scalping that Federal hasn't made any large price increases on their ammo, so when Cheaperthandirt is charging nearly $36/box when not long ago they asked $12, they're shafting us.

Finally, he said they can't keep up with demand, that the difference between now and in the past is shooters buying thousands of rounds at a time vice hundreds in the past.

Thank you Mr President. Don
DonD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 17:06   #2
MJB

I've never had a problem using it in my G19C.

Last edited by MJB; 02-27-2013 at 17:07..
MJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 18:37   #3
DonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I've never had a problem using it in my G19C.
Not suggesting you should, merely following up on an earlier thread. Don
Old 02-27-2013, 19:10   #4
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
Not too long ago there was a thread asking why Federal bulk 9mm ammo of the type commonly sold by WalMart had a statement telling the user not to fire the ammo in ported guns. ....... He said the slugs are plated not true jacketed FMJs and that's the reason for the warning. .......

Thank you, Mr President. Don
Obviously you spoke to someone who hasn't the slightest idea what he's talking about! (Are you sure you didn't have Smyrna on the other end of the line?) I must have fired well over 5 or 6 thousand rounds of Federal's, 'Wal-Mart crap' through all three of my muzzle-ported Glock pistols. Whether the bullets, themselves, are plated or jacketed makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE, at all.

The only conceivable reason, 'Why' Federal doesn't want you to use their Wal-Mart ammo (The boxes have a small, 'WM' stamp on the outside of the box.) is because the Federal/Wal-Mart ammo is so underpowered that a ported pistol might fail to fully cycle the slide after the shot. That's it! There is nothing else to consider. If you ever run into a slide cycling problem, simply use a lighter recoil spring. Wolff Gunsprings sells them.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 22:50   #5
DonD

I doubt that the guy I spoke to is ignorant. I'd believe that he's spreading the party line and anything corporate is influenced by the risks of law suits. Something "could" conceivably cause an issue so they plaster the box with dire warnings.

Just like Ruger and it's infamous anti lawyer roll markings, making an effort to keep from being sued, and if sued, have better grounds for defense. Don