Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:11   #1
Citadel15L

Straight Razor Shaving

I'm looking at getting into switching to a straight razor. It seems pretty awesome. Not too mention cost effective in the long run. According to my research, Dovo seems to make the best blades and I'm looking at spending roughly $200-300 to get started with a set.

Anybody have any recommendations or experience?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:55   #2
JimP

Go over to Badger & Blade and start some reading. great forums on this. I just took a Japanese style straight with disposable blades (Feather SS with Feather Professional blades) and bled myself out about two pints a week ago (first straight shave). Healed up over the week and tried again this weekend. No cuts nor bleeding. Shave left a bit to be desired but was "interesting". I finished up with the regular safety razor. I'll give it a go for a bit more to get ahead of the learning curve to see if I really like it. If not, I'll turn around and sell it to some other individual wanting to try it.

Before you go all hog with a straight, you may want to try the disposable blades like the feather or a "shavette". For true straight, you will have to get hones, strops, paste(s), etc and learn an entire new skill on keeping the blade sharp and clean.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:06   #3
bailman

Another option is to give a DE safety razor a try. It will give you the chance to learn good technique, without risking cutting yourself too bad. Good shaving technique is very important, but proper pre shave and post shave routines are equally important. It will take time to learn both. Good luck, badger and blade is a great place to learn.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
bailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:50   #4
VA27

ALWAYS wear pants and shoes while shaving. If the razor slips out of your hand you could lose more than some whiskers.

The NRA is my union.
VA27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51   #5
Victoriagotagun

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA27 View Post
ALWAYS wear pants and shoes while shaving. If the razor slips out of your hand you could lose more than some whiskers.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:54   #6
VinnieD

I'll stick to my Double Edged Safety Razor. It was the only technological innovation that needed to happen to shaving.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:37   #7
Dubble-Tapper

I've always wanted to get a nice straight shave. I don't feel like Sweeney Todding myself by accident though

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Dubble-Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:40   #8
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieD View Post
I'll stick to my Double Edged Safety Razor. It was the only technological innovation that needed to happen to shaving.
Even Crocodile Dundee used a safety razor (when no one was looking of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45   #9
itstime

Only DE safety for me. I still get myself from time to time in a hurry.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52   #10
Delcorbett

Chuck Notris once used a straight razor, and the razor bled for days...

Sent from my LG-MS770
Delcorbett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:53   #11
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

I have a straight razor shaving. I brought it for $20 and I honed hell out of it. It is pretty good and it does the job well. I could have brought $300 razor but I'll save that for later.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:17   #12
countrygun

Been doing it for long time. Grandpa's gear still works.

The Okie Corral
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46   #13
jbp84

I only use a double edge safety razor, so no specific advise on straight razors. When I got into guns my budget for shaving accoutrements was reallocated by my live-in financial advisor, so I never did by a straight edge.

Get a good badger brush. It makes a huge difference over synthetic or boar brushes. Taken care of properly they will last forever.

Look up a company called Mama Bear's Soaps. She makes glycerin shaving soap in any scent you can imagine.

If you want, PM me and I'll send you some soap and a brush to get started with. If you decide you don't like wet shaving send it back or pay it forward.

jbp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50   #14
jbp84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailman View Post
Another option is to give a DE safety razor a try. It will give you the chance to learn good technique, without risking cutting yourself too bad. Good shaving technique is very important, but proper pre shave and post shave routines are equally important. It will take time to learn both. Good luck, badger and blade is a great place to learn.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

+1. This is all solid advice. B&B is basically the GlockTalk of wet shaving.

jbp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00   #15
GVFlyer

I think that you're contemplating a prolonged suicide attempt.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:04   #16
John Rambo
Raven

Is something wrong with the shave you get from normal shaving razors?
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:07   #17
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

I haven't made the jump yet, but I am thinking about it. I started using a DE a couple of years ago, and I will never use cartridges again. Good advice so far. I suggest the safety razor, brush, and product familiarity first. Get to know your skin and beard pattern first, then get a straight. I'll probably start with a shavette just because I don't want to have to hone.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:17   #18
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadel15L View Post
I'm looking at getting into switching to a straight razor. It seems pretty awesome. Not too mention cost effective in the long run. According to my research, Dovo seems to make the best blades and I'm looking at spending roughly $200-300 to get started with a set.

Buying a new straight razor doesn't not equate to a "shave ready" razor.

Badger and Blade is a good place to get info.

Shaving with a straight razor takes much longer than traditional wet shaving or cartridge based shaving.

Learn how to sharpen and care for your razor while you learn how to shave with it.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:29   #19
JerryVO

Quote:
Not too mention cost effective in the long run.
Do not do it for this reason. It is a LIE. It is MUCH MORE expensive in the long run. It is also painfully slow compared to shaving with a multiblade wonder cartridge, very easy to nick yourself, and takes up a ton of counter space. And all that is just for a DE safety razor.

When I started with my DE I thought hey blades are less than $.10 per blade, I will be saving money over my mach 3 in no time. Now 3 years and (4 razors, 2 bowls, 3 brushes, oils, shave soaps, etc...) later it has cost more than if I would have stuck with the Mach 3. However even with all of the drawbacks mentioned above I would never give it up. Shaving is now my manly morning ritual and I love the process. Make sure you want to do this as a lifestyle and not just a shaving option. Badger and Blade is a great site and a great place to obtain more than you ever wanted to know about DE or straight razor shaving.

JerryVO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:36   #20
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Here's what I have. For DE I use the Edwin Jager more than the post WW2 Gillete. This is what I shave with daily. The straight razor is a Boker Tree Brand with a natural Micarta handle and it's used on the weekends and after I cut my hair.

The Okie Corral

These are razors that I've picked up and restored. All are shave ready. I use a Norton 4/8K stone and a plain leather strop.

The Okie Corral

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 02-27-2013 at 12:38..
Old 02-27-2013, 12:46   #21
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:

By the time you're old enough to shave every day, this will not seem "awesome" at all. I recently tried an old single-edge safety razor, since the blades are about $.20 each instead of $3.00 each. Turns out, there is a very good reason they can sell modern blades for that price - because the older methods suck.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:47   #22
Glock&KimberLady
Booyah!

Gillette Fusion. A five blade razor. The bomb. Four bucks for replacement cartridges, yeah, but dang. Remember, I have to shave underarms, entire leg to hip and...uh...other places.

As far as the straight razor, Mr. GKL has always wanted one....I think more for the ghetto awesome factor than anything (his dream pistol is a chrome-plated 1911 with pearl grips ) but I haven't bought him a straight razor simply because then he's probably want me to give him a shave with it.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:50   #23
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
By the time you're old enough to shave every day, this will not seem "awesome" at all. I recently tried an old single-edge safety razor, since the blades are about $.20 each instead of $3.00 each. Turns out, there is a very good reason they can sell modern blades for that price - because the older methods suck.
The old "tool fix" for a "skill problem" is most certainly a personal problem

Old 02-27-2013, 15:18   #24
RGbiker

German DE (Mekur) razor with Feather blades (Japanese) for me.

I'm not skilled (nerve) enough to attempt a straight razor shave.
Old 02-27-2013, 15:31   #25
chargingzebra

If you don't do it as a collectible hobby you can save with a DE Safety. I have a Parker my wife got me for my birthday with badger hair brush and some soap. Replacement razors are cheap and soap lasts forever. Shaving with on is calming and a good way to start the day.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
chargingzebra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manly, shaving, straight razor