Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2013, 14:00   #81
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytxrx View Post
Good call. I have had a little trouble getting my crimp set up for the 147 gr bullet. the first few 147 gr out of the 6" sig 357 seem to indicate good things to come.

I think this is the first cartridge I have reloaded that burned all the blue dot I put in the case. The sig 357 may well shoot up a strom with the 147gr.

I understand this forum is not about reloading. It is hard to get max preformance out of a caliber without condsidering reloading. when I get the 147 gr running well and find a hot load I the meets my expectations I'll post the velocity of the 125 and 147.
Please do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 14:26   #82
rustytxrx

Maybe a reloading warning woul be appropriate to this forum. If you have been reloading straight walled pistol cases and decide to reload 357 sig it can give ya some issues.

Ya screw the resizing die in till your die meets the shell holder the add a 1/2 turn. Well when ya start pushing the 357 sig, that may not set the shoulder back enough.

If ya decide to reload the cartridge and have an issue PM me
Old 03-07-2013, 15:06   #83
attrapereves

I owned a Glock 32 for a few months. The 357Sig isn't a bad cartridge, but I never really warmed up to it. Also, I didn't really see a place for it with already owning 9mm (capacity), 45ACP (more power), and 10mm (capacity and power :-]).

Although I suppose the real reason I got rid of the G32 is because I was tired of buying reloading supplies for another handgun and because the 357Sig cartridge uses a lot of powder.
Old 03-08-2013, 13:50   #84
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I owned a Glock 32 for a few months. The 357Sig isn't a bad cartridge, but I never really warmed up to it. Also, I didn't really see a place for it with already owning 9mm (capacity), 45ACP (more power), and 10mm (capacity and power :-]).

Although I suppose the real reason I got rid of the G32 is because I was tired of buying reloading supplies for another handgun and because the 357Sig cartridge uses a lot of powder.
The .357Sig does use a lot of powder to gain only 100-150 FPS above the 9mmP.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:05   #85
Dave Nowlin
Fisher of Men

When I asked the original question, I had no idea I was attacking the "Holy Grail". Now I will ask another. Since ya'll defend the cartridge with such great vigor, how many of you have a G33 for everyday carry? How many of you view this as an ideal cartridge in this barrel length? Doesn't it simply amount to wasted powder, excess muzzle blast, with very little gain over the 9mm in this short a barrel?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:41   #86
1canvas

I think its a great SD round in a 4'' or longer barrel. I had a G32 barrel for my 23 and a boat load of HSTs and GDs. I really liked that round but my problem was the blast. in a car or small room it would be too much. others would say it shouldn't be a concern if it saves your life. I have serious hearing loss and loud ringing in my ears that I dealt with every day for the last 25 years. I have .40s and .45s and the sig round is much louder so I sold my barrel and ammo and bought a 30sf. I still think the sig round is probably one of the best, if not the best SD round. but if I can use a 230grn .45 or a 180grn .40 with nearly the same results and save what little hearing I got, thats what I'll do.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:42   #87
Dave Nowlin
Fisher of Men

I can see where the G33 would make sense for a LEO whose primary weapon is a 31 or 32. It that application it would be a backup with the same ammo as the primary. I get that. However when you are a civilian and want a sub-compact for every day carry as your only weapon, how much sense does the 33 really make? I think I will stick with the 26.

Last edited by Dave Nowlin; 03-10-2013 at 11:42..
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 14:00   #88
dpadams6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
When I asked the original question, I had no idea I was attacking the "Holy Grail". Now I will ask another. Since ya'll defend the cartridge with such great vigor, how many of you have a G33 for everyday carry? How many of you view this as an ideal cartridge in this barrel length? Doesn't it simply amount to wasted powder, excess muzzle blast, with very little gain over the 9mm in this short a barrel?
Regardless of barrel length you absolutely get more than 9mm. Ive been carrying 357sig at work for a long time and currently carry the 31/33 combo. I'm not one to carry the sub-compacts as a primary carry weapon. I don't feel you get enough control over that small a weapon as your main carry, especially in a 357/40 caliber. MAYBE 9MM. But in 357sig, id go with the 32 for concealed carry.
And I feel the 357sig is the best handgun caliber for self defense on the planet.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 18:38   #89
rustytxrx

Dave, I think you know that you have asked question not easy to answer with certainty. We discuss carry and calibers somewhat out of context. In texas you must carry concealed. So there is a social side to carry and you must consider it. You don't want the pistol to print on you cloths. I have ask myself the question, if i was going to a gun fight what pistol would want to carry. It is almost never the gun I am carring. You have to consider all of your responsibilities when carring.

To wit there is no pistol that I can carry daily that I would take to a gun fight given my choice.

Last edited by rustytxrx; 03-10-2013 at 18:40..
rustytxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 18:46   #90
Adamz04

I Edc a g33. My first gun in 357sig was a g32 and after I warmed up to it I put my g26 in the safe and went to a g33. I've personally never noticed a difference in blast between any 357sig and 40/45. 9mm maybe. I carry federal hst in all my guns. I was estimating ( no chrono data done personally) ~1150 fps with hst in my g26 and ~1300 fps with hst in my g33. If you can shoot it well why not gain a little more power. I'd rather carry my g33 over probably any other gun made. Good combo of size, power, and concealability.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41   #91
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpadams6 View Post
Regardless of barrel length you absolutely get more than 9mm. Ive been carrying 357sig at work for a long time and currently carry the 31/33 combo. I'm not one to carry the sub-compacts as a primary carry weapon. I don't feel you get enough control over that small a weapon as your main carry, especially in a 357/40 caliber. MAYBE 9MM. But in 357sig, id go with the 32 for concealed carry.
And I feel the 357sig is the best handgun caliber for self defense on the planet.
It is like having a .357 magnum with more than 6 shots!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:53   #92
samsgreen

After years of debating with myself, I went with a Gen 3 32 and now that summer is around the corner a 33 is the obvious choice for the hot months... The issue now is ammo, I run a gun shop and 357 Sig is hard (not impossible) to find, but soooooo worth it!
samsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:22   #93
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I disagree that the 45acp has more of anything, the
Secret Service loves the .357 SIG and with an open
check book they can carry anything. The 45 is a great
round, most of my pistols over the last 25 years have
been 45acp. But it's not "the" best CCW round.

Quote:
I agree, my next compact will be a G32.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:55   #94
dkf

I carry my G33 most often and I own a 32 and a 31 also. The 33 is just a handy little pistol and carries well. I get more rounds, easier to control, and slightly more velocity out of my G33 than a .357mag snubby. The 33 is also thinner and weighs less than most snubbies. Plus I can drop a G27 barrel in and shoot .40 or pick up a conversion barrel and shoot 9mm. I reload so the price of .357sig ammo is just slightly more than 9mm due to extra couple grains of powder but is still cheaper than reloading .40.

Last edited by dkf; 03-12-2013 at 11:56..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 14:44   #95
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I carry my G33 most often and I own a 32 and a 31 also. The 33 is just a handy little pistol and carries well. I get more rounds, easier to control, and slightly more velocity out of my G33 than a .357mag snubby. The 33 is also thinner and weighs less than most snubbies. Plus I can drop a G27 barrel in and shoot .40 or pick up a conversion barrel and shoot 9mm. I reload so the price of .357sig ammo is just slightly more than 9mm due to extra couple grains of powder but is still cheaper than reloading .40.
And practicing with it is almost free if you cast your own.

Old 03-12-2013, 15:56   #96
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware Owner View Post
And practicing with it is almost free if you cast your own.
I have been buying jacketed however I am going to get a 147gr .357sig specific bullet mold made. These days it is good to have options and backup plans.
Old 03-12-2013, 16:08   #97
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I have been buying jacketed however I am going to get a 147gr .357sig specific bullet mold made. These days it is good to have options and backup plans.
Specifically made how?

Old 03-12-2013, 20:24   #98
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware Owner View Post
Specifically made how?
Accurate has a 147gr bullet profile for .357sig in their catalog. The lube grooves and profile of some 9mm bullets do not work so great with the sig.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:52   #99
dpadams6

IMHO, the 125 grain is "The Sweet Spot". I don't think there is any reason to change to a heavier bullet. Except maybe for game.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:03   #100
rustytxrx

Quote:
IMHO, the 125 grain is "The Sweet Spot". I don't think there is any reason to change to a heavier bullet. Except maybe for game.
If 125 gr bullet is the sweet spot a six in barrel is the hot spot. Working with 147 gr bullets and H110 the sig puts that last 2" to good use. Very consistent with small variations in velocity. I have not got a max load nailed down but the velocity will be knocking on the 1400 fps door. I have several more powders to work out.

I have shot several batches of 125 gr at max velocity (a few may be over) out of the Six barrel. T'is a string to 100 yds. I bet the drop is 3" are there about. If the gong sound is any test the bullet is still move post haste.

357 sig Is not my favorite cartridge to reload.

147 accurate bullet is a penetrating son of a gun.

Last edited by rustytxrx; 03-13-2013 at 06:05..
rustytxrx is offline   Reply With Quote