GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 23:50   #21
RMM
Member
 
RMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 65
The big advantage is that 357 sig can run about 200 fps faster with a 124 gr. bullet vs. 9MM +p+. Obvious downsides are increased muzzle blast, decreased magazine capacity, and increased cost (especially with practice ammo).

Also, the 357 SIG hollowpoints are actually designed around the higher velocity, whereas the 9mm bullets pushed faster than their design parameters often either fragment heavily or over expand and lose a significant amount of penetration. Sometimes this may be desirable, but a lot of times it is not. I do not own a 357 SIG but I think that they are a great round for 2-legged threats.
RMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:58   #22
skeeter7
Brass Vulture
 
skeeter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 6,559
If you haven't shot it yet, do so. It will put a smile on your face. Snappy little bugger.
__________________
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:05   #23
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,037
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Benefit+of+.357...er+9mm+%2Bp%2B
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26   #24
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
I'm having a hard time swallowing some of the rationale used in defending the .357 SIG. The 9mm +P+ is breathing hard but the .357 SIG isn't breathing hard at the same pressure level. An interesting observation. 40,000 p.s.i. is 40,000 p.s.i. regardless of caliber. Is the brass in the .357 SIG thicker than in the 9mm? I don't know. It has already been observed and testified to that the chamber walls are thicker in the 9mm. If trying to contain pressure would you prefer super strong brass and strong chamber walls or strong brass and super strong chamber walls. I will personally go for the super strong chamber walls. The strongest brass out there won't contain the pressure if the chamber walls which support it fail.

Now that that issue has been covered there is the issue of flatter shooting at long range. For those of us who are citizens and not LEOs, you'll have a hard time defending the concept that a long range shooting was self defense. A man much smarter than me once said, "a hand gun is to be used to get yourself to your long gun." A handgun is a short range self defense weapon at best. My AR would be a far better choice at distance. Why do you suppose so many departments are buying into the Patrol Rifle concept?

If there is a true advantage to the .357 SIG then it would come from greater case capacity. If the proper powder was chosen to be optimized to the barrel length of the gun maybe there would be some small advantage. By optimized I mean the burn rate would be chosen to produce the the greatest amount of energy within the chosen barrel length without exceeding the pressure limit. This means that the ammunition companies would have to optimize their ammo to barrel length. Fat chance of that.

In the 26 & 33 considering their short barrel length the difference in energy produced would be minimal at best. Dead is dead and overkill is overkill. At practical and justifiable self defense ranges the out come between the two calibers inside 10 yards really would be hard to predict. In a real shooting the metabolism of the victim and other factors would create a much harder to predict outcome than these two caliber choices.

This is like trying to predict which is better for deer hunting, a .270., 7mm-08, .308, 30-06, 7 mag or whatever to kill a deer. Any of these calibers is more than adequate. It's truly a matter of personal choice. While choosing you better consider the little thing called overpenetration. We are after all responsible for any and all damage that bullet does after it leaves the muzzle.

You are going way out of your way to try to say there is no difference between a 9mm +p+ and a 357 sig. Just because they both may be loaded to 40,000psi does not mean they will have the same velocity. As mentioned to you the best 357 sig has about a 200fps advantage over the best 9mm +p+. That would also apply to comparing the G26 to the G33. They are not equal. Consider why you are taking this position. Trust me, if there were not an advantage to the 357 sig, it would not still exist.

Last edited by PghJim; 02-27-2013 at 07:59..
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:07   #25
Spiffums
I.C.P.
 
Spiffums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
A lot depends on bullet design.
But 357 Sig has a great reputation for light barrier penetration.

Plus it closely approximates 357 Magnum performance in a semi-auto.
And that sort of speaks for itself.

I remember that argument when the 40 came out.
__________________
Internet Celebrity Personality
Spiffums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13   #26
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
If there is a true advantage to the .357 SIG then it would come from greater case capacity. If the proper powder was chosen to be optimized to the barrel length of the gun maybe there would be some small advantage. By optimized I mean the burn rate would be chosen to produce the the greatest amount of energy within the chosen barrel length without exceeding the pressure limit. This means that the ammunition companies would have to optimize their ammo to barrel length. Fat chance of that.
You need a better understanding of ballistics. The greater case capacity is what gives the 357 sig the 200fps velocity, and thereby energy, advantage. It allows the loader to load a greater amount of slower burning rate powder that allows for more velocity within the 40,000psi window. If the 40,000psi is reached right away the velocity will be less than a pressure curve that has the pressure hitting 40,000psi when the bullet is further down the barrel. Generally, a faster burning powder will reach maximum pressure faster than a slow burning powder. With the 9mm, even at +p+, there just is not the case capacity to give a pressure curve like the 357 sig, because you are forced to use a powder with a faster burn rate.

Do not get me wrong the 9mm in +p or +p+ is a great cartridge, but if you try to make it into a 357 sig you are flirting with danger.

Last edited by PghJim; 02-27-2013 at 08:16..
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44   #27
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
Now that that issue has been covered there is the issue of flatter shooting at long range. For those of us who are citizens and not LEOs, you'll have a hard time defending the concept that a long range shooting was self defense. A man much smarter than me once said, "a hand gun is to be used to get yourself to your long gun." A handgun is a short range self defense weapon at best. My AR would be a far better choice at distance. Why do you suppose so many departments are buying into the Patrol Rifle concept?
The 357 sig was initially developed for law enforcement, there is always a possibility that a patrolman may have to make a precision shot at over 40 yards. Look at the Noth Holywood shootout. All it would have taken would have been a couple of precision head shots at 50 yards. Now I am not LE and you are correct that my defensive shooting will not be that far, but there is no downside to the 357 sig. It is the most accurate service round at long distance and I have shot more than a few rodents at 50 yards +. It is an extra tool in your box. No downside and it is easier to carry than an AR.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:57   #28
Dave Nowlin
Fisher of Men
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Savannah, Tn.
Posts: 245
Actually I probably know far more about ballistics than you know. In my modified Ruger Super Blackhawk (by modified I mean equipped with Bisley hammer, trigger & gripframe) I shoot 325 grain LBT design bullets from a 5 inch barrel. The heavy for caliber bullet starts slower due to inertia and therefore exits the barrel slower (time frame) than a 240 grain bullet. It utilizes the powder charge more efficiently due to this longer dwell time. The .45 long colt can push this same weight LBT design bullet equally fast at lower pressures. This has been proven by John Linebaugh and others. However when comparing the 9mm vs .357 SIG we are talking about a bottleneck case and much shorter barrels. With the Ruger we are talking about 5 inches of barrel beyond the nose of the bullet. With a semiautomatic the barrel length includes the chamber. With the 26 & 33 the effective barrel length is indeed short. This makes powder burn rate even more critical as well as load selection tailored to barrel length. It doesn't matter how much more powder you burn after the bullet leaves the barrel.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:19   #29
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
Actually I probably know far more about ballistics than you know. In my modified Ruger Super Blackhawk (by modified I mean equipped with Bisley hammer, trigger & gripframe) I shoot 325 grain LBT design bullets from a 5 inch barrel. The heavy for caliber bullet starts slower due to inertia and therefore exits the barrel slower (time frame) than a 240 grain bullet. It utilizes the powder charge more efficiently due to this longer dwell time. The .45 long colt can push this same weight LBT design bullet equally fast at lower pressures. This has been proven by John Linebaugh and others. However when comparing the 9mm vs .357 SIG we are talking about a bottleneck case and much shorter barrels. With the Ruger we are talking about 5 inches of barrel beyond the nose of the bullet. With a semiautomatic the barrel length includes the chamber. With the 26 & 33 the effective barrel length is indeed short. This makes powder burn rate even more critical as well as load selection tailored to barrel length. It doesn't matter how much more powder you burn after the bullet leaves the barrel.
Trust me, you could still learn more about ballistics. The use of a faster burn rate powder reduces the velocity difference over a slower rate powder and a longer barrel will make more use of a slower burning powder. However, even if some of the slower powder burns after the bullet is gone on the 357 sig., you will see the same 200fps difference in a G26 compared to a G33. They have 3.5" barrels and my handload that did 1,500fps out of a G32, did 1,450fps out of a G33. If you go much lower in barrel length the velocity gap between the 9mm +p+ and the 357 sig will be less, but it will always be there.

Why do you feel you have to compare the 9mm to the 357 sig in an attempt to say there is no real difference between the two? If you do not like the 357 sig for some reason that is OK the 9mm is agreat cartridge, but I think comparing a 9mm +p+ whose pressures are uncharted to a 357 sig within specfications is really stretching your argument.

Last edited by PghJim; 02-27-2013 at 11:21..
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42   #30
Dave Nowlin
Fisher of Men
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Savannah, Tn.
Posts: 245
I just got off the phone with Kevin. The .357 SIG was introduced as a Law Enforcement round designed more for deeper penetration, especially through barriers. As a civilian, my concern is energy dump within the target. The last thing I want in my house or out in public is over penetration. We must remember we can justify shooting to stop the threat not shooting to kill. I realize that sometimes stopping the threat equates with a kill. That said we can't justify in court a statement like I shot to kill. The 9mm 115 gr. +P+ loading from Underwood will yield excellent energy dump with a large mushroom while minimizing probability of over penetration. You are correct in saying different design bullets are used in the .357 SIG. These bullets don't yield as large a mushroom as they are designed more for penetration. When you have only a certain amount of energy to utilize, you must choose the bullet loaded around what your objective is. You must decide whether to bias your choice toward penetration or maximum energy dump. I question whether the .357 SIG is a prudent choice for EDC by a civilian. In fact the Law Enforcement Departments choosing this round seem to patrol mostly rural environments. This would probably be a bad choice in a metropolitan area.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05   #31
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,794
Did you see some of the testing on Youtube done by tnoutdoors9 on 357 sig rounds. If you watch them, you will see that the penetration of the 357 sig, at least in bullets he tested is not that great. Most around 12-13". I believe the Underwood 125gr GD had the greatest penetration at 14". You are right to think about this, but I do not see the penetration to be more than 9mm. I carry the Federal 125gr HST 357 sig. round and I would suggest you go to Youtube and watch that one.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:17   #32
jtull7
Pistolero
 
jtull7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Posts: 6,840
Glocks that shoot 357 sig are snappy, loud, flames shoot out the front of the barrel, and are a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

I couldn't care less about ballistics; it's just not my thing.
__________________
Cocked, locked, and ready to rock!

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.

Last edited by jtull7; 02-27-2013 at 12:18..
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 14:17   #33
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,651
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
Do a little research and find out what the 42,00 p.s.i. NATO loading in 9mm can do. Of course without FMJ bullets. With 115 grain hollowpoints I suspect it can do anything the .357 SIG can do.
Sure, push 9mm into 9mm major, handload it w/ a good bullet (read bonded), it is pretty close. The issue though, 9mm is NOT loaded that way w/ good JHP, so w/ factory loads in both, the 357sig has a 150fps advantage over 124gr+P+ loads. Does that matter, maybe, maybe not. If you want to tlak handloads in both, well you can get the 115gr JHP to 1600fps in the 357sig w/o bending anything. If you can get the bullet to hold together, it would be pretty devistating on soft targets.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-27-2013 at 14:17..
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 14:32   #34
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
I just got off the phone with Kevin. The .357 SIG was introduced as a Law Enforcement round designed more for deeper penetration, especially through barriers. As a civilian, my concern is energy dump within the target. The last thing I want in my house or out in public is over penetration. We must remember we can justify shooting to stop the threat not shooting to kill. I realize that sometimes stopping the threat equates with a kill.
So if someone is trying to kill you --- whether committing a crime or during a rampage --- you'd better have the wherewithal to stop the threat as quickly as possible. And there's no bright line at 21 feet where a defender says to him/herself, "Oh damn, the attacker is out of legal range and I don't want to have to explain myself to a jury so I'd better stop now".

If you're justified in defending yourself against a potentially deadly attack it won't make much difference if the attacker is 10 feet away or 100 yards away, at least in the majority of states and with honest, decent prosecutors. I'd want the best weapon available to me if I had to defend against a relatively distant attack, and that's why I'll say it again, .357sig has greater application than my 9mm because it has greater range and power.
__________________
Rocket Scientist
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 15:03   #35
dannym
Kill 'Em All
 
dannym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nowlin View Post
We must remember we can justify shooting to stop the threat not shooting to kill. I realize that sometimes stopping the threat equates with a kill. That said we can't justify in court a statement like I shot to kill.
That's one of the dumbest things I've read on this or any other gun forum.
Good luck trying to get rule #2 rewritten to say "never point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to STOP!
Destroy or Kill are the chosen words for a reason. If you want to try to stop some one and never intended on killing them then buy and use some mace or a stun gun.

Last edited by dannym; 02-27-2013 at 15:05..
dannym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 15:25   #36
Dave Nowlin
Fisher of Men
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Savannah, Tn.
Posts: 245
If you think that statement is dumb. You obviously have never read any of Maas Ayoob's writings. He is considered one of this nations greatest experts in this field. He will advise you to never say to a police officer or in a court of law that you intended to kill the perp. He advises you to say you did what was necessary to stop his attack. If there are witnesses and you continue to shoot him while he is down and no longer a threat and he dies as a result, you will be charged with murder in many places. Go to U.S.A. Carry Forum and you will hear many more dumb comments like this. Some of them written by prosecutors and some by lawyers
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 15:29   #37
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
I use the WW 9mm 115gr JHP+P+ load in my G17 3rdGen. I get 1400 FPS out of my 4.5-inch barrel.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 02-27-2013 at 15:29..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 15:38   #38
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannym View Post
That's one of the dumbest things I've read on this or any other gun forum.
Good luck trying to get rule #2 rewritten to say "never point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to STOP!
Destroy or Kill are the chosen words for a reason. If you want to try to stop some one and never intended on killing them then buy and use some mace or a stun gun.
Willing to do something and intent are two different things. Dave is correct and I think you mean that you know you are using deadly force and accept the fact that your actions may lead to death. You are willing to take that action. However, you fear for your life and your intent is only to stop the threat. Once the person no longer poses a deadly threat to you, you will stop firing at that moment.

Last edited by PghJim; 02-27-2013 at 15:47..
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 15:51   #39
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
Willing to do something and intent are two different things. Dave is correct and I think you mean that you know you are using deadly force and accept the fact that your actions may lead to death. You are willing to take that action. However, you fear for your life and your intent is only to stop the threat. Once the person no longer poses a deadly threat to you, you will stop firing at that moment.
Well if a man has fired a gun at an innocent me, he is going down with a half-dozen +p+ 115gr JHPs in him. He'll be dead for sure.
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 16:07   #40
PghJim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,794
Everyone should be careful what they put in posts, they are discoverable at a trial. In a self defense shooting, your intent is to only stop the deadly threat to you or someone else. Once a deadly threat no longer exists, you must stop deadly force at that moment. You should not talk about how lethal your ammunition is, only how effective it may be at stopping an attack.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:58.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,305
322 Members
983 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42