Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:17   #1
Glock 1

Best media to clean/polish

I have a vibratory tumbler and I have some walnut media on back order (I can cancel it) but from what I have read the corncob with a polishing additive works best.

It has been awhile since I reloaded and I always used cob back in the day. I got the walnut because I figured I would try something different and it was relatively inexpensive.

What do you use? Also, if you have any pics of before and after brass, I would find those most intriguing. I am not looking for like new brass, just clean and ready to load (no residue) after a trip through the tumbler and media separator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:38   #2
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Lots of things will work. In my experience, most shiny in the least amount of time comes from Lyman walnut media with the red rouge. Bad news is it will leave that rouge all over your brass and you have to wipe it off. These days, I'll just put a little in with corncob and it does the trick really well.

ETA: cut up some used dryer sheets and throw them in. It will cut down on the dust.

Last edited by Zombie Steve; 03-02-2013 at 09:38..
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:41   #3
pmcjury

Corn cobb blasting media from harbor freight with a cap full of nufinish and some mineral spirits thrown in every once and a while

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by pmcjury; 03-02-2013 at 09:41..
pmcjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:24   #4
PCJim

Walnut with 2-3 tablespoons of mineral spirits is the primary tumbling media. Two hours, controlled by an appliance timer, and the brass is shiny. I also have cob with NuFinish that is used for a second polish to remove case lube when reloading rifle brass.

Both are kept separate in iced tea jugs. Pick and choose. And, by the way, shiny brass does attract women!
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:49   #5
F106 Fan

I use the large Dillon vibratory case cleaner. So, I buy the walnut media from Dillon and I dump in about 1/2 bottle of Dillon Polish.

That's all the effort shiny brass is worth. I dump in several hundred cases and let the machine run for a few hours. Good enough...

Every once in awhile, I replace the media and use the other 1/2 bottle of polish.

I'm aware that I can get the media cheaper and without shipping and I am also aware I could use some other type of polish. I just choose the low energy approach. Point, click and it shows up at the door.

Richard
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58   #6
Scott30

Walnut media with NuFinish car polish and mineral spirits for me. Cleans and shines all at once. Don't forget to tear a used dryer sheet in half and add that too.
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:03   #7
unclebob

Walnut media cleans brass. Leaves a slight shine.
Corncob media polishes the brass.
A dryer sheet helps in removing the carbon and dirt and dust from the media.
Mineral spirits helps in removing the carbon from the brass.
Nu-Finish car polish helps in putting a shine on the brass; it also helps in sizing the brass.
The mineral spirits and Nu-Finish are pre mixed 50/50 in a 16oz or larger squirt bottle.
I have two tumblers one has walnut media and the other has corncob media. When I come back from the range I dump the brass in the walnut media with a cut up dryer sheet. (3 pieces)
Those then go into a bucket. When the brass in the reloading room gets low I add a mixture of 50/50 Nu-finish car polish and mineral spirits about 2 table spoons into the tumbler with the corncob and let it run until the mixture blends into the media and no clumps. About 10 minutes I then add the brass. That cleans the brass more and also put a high shines on the brass.
If you only have one tumbler you can either swap the different Medias out, or you can mix 50/50 of the walnut and corncob together. Also adding the 50/50 mixture of mineral spirit and Nu-Finish, and the dryer sheets. Both way works.
I like to use the separate ways because the walnut is cheaper and easier to find. I bought I think a 40 bag of corncob media 30 + years ago and I still have a lot of it left. I go through about 4 times the amount of walnut to the corncob.
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-02-2013, 12:03   #8
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
Walnut media cleans brass. Leaves a slight shine.
Corncob media polishes the brass.
A dryer sheet helps in removing the carbon and dirt and dust from the media.
Mineral spirits helps in removing the carbon from the brass.
Nu-Finish car polish helps in putting a shine on the brass; it also helps in sizing the brass.
The mineral spirits and Nu-Finish are pre mixed 50/50 in a 16oz or larger squirt bottle.
I have two tumblers one has walnut media and the other has corncob media. When I come back from the range I dump the brass in the walnut media with a cut up dryer sheet. (3 pieces)
Those then go into a bucket. When the brass in the reloading room gets low I add a mixture of 50/50 Nu-finish car polish and mineral spirits about 2 table spoons into the tumbler with the corncob and let it run until the mixture blends into the media and no clumps. About 10 minutes I then add the brass. That cleans the brass more and also put a high shines on the brass.
If you only have one tumbler you can either swap the different Medias out, or you can mix 50/50 of the walnut and corncob together. Also adding the 50/50 mixture of mineral spirit and Nu-Finish, and the dryer sheets. Both way works.
I like to use the separate ways because the walnut is cheaper and easier to find. I bought I think a 40 bag of corncob media 30 + years ago and I still have a lot of it left. I go through about 4 times the amount of walnut to the corncob.
This,it just plain works. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 13:13   #9
Glock 1

Wow, alot of great info. I am extremely glad I asked.

Do you only put the 50/50 mix of nufinish and mineral spirits in with fresh media or with every batch of brass you clean? Or just every now and then?

I will probably do walnut with the cut up dryer sheet and 3 tablespoons of 50/50 mix to start with.

How often do you replace your media? Just when it stops performing like it should?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 03-02-2013, 13:21   #10
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 1 View Post
Wow, alot of great info. I am extremely glad I asked.

Do you only put the 50/50 mix of nufinish and mineral spirits in with fresh media or with every batch of brass you clean? Or just every now and then?

I will probably do walnut with the cut up dryer sheet and 3 tablespoons of 50/50 mix to start with.

How often do you replace your media? Just when it stops performing like it should?
You start out with the mixture and I add about every other time. Just don't over do it or you will have a miss. More is not better.

You will know when to change.
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-02-2013, 13:44   #11
RustyFN

Walnut will clean dirty cases faster. Cob will shine them better. For those reasons I use 50/50 walnut/cob. The cases clean in the same amount of time and come out shinier. I also add 1/2 cap full of Nu Finish car polish.
Old 03-02-2013, 13:53   #12
jdavionic
NRA Member

I use Lyman's media with a little Flitz.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 21:45   #13
PCJim

G1, as to media life, my walnut was B-L-A-C-K when I finally changed it out, and had been so for a long time. I had probably cleaned well over 10K cases with it. Why I changed it out, I can't say. It would still clean cases with mineral spirits added. I guess I wanted to see a nice walnut brown for a change. That color in the new media didn't last long...
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 21:48   #14
Glock 1

Oh wow so it has a good long life. That is good to know. I am now leaning towards a 50/50 cob/walnut mix. I think I will try that first along with the spirits and nufinish. Can't wait to get my media in.

Old 03-03-2013, 00:20   #15
Taterhead
Counting Beans

I really like the Lyman green media. One could get by with spending less money for media, but it is a little splirge that I don't mind. I have used the red Lyman media too. It cleans and shines well, but I hate the rouge stuff that gets everywhere. The green does a great job of cleaning up.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:15   #16
unclebob

In the past 50 or so years of tumbling brass I have tried the premix Lyman, jewelers rouge, Midway, Dillon, Flitz, and a couple of others. I have not found IMHO anything that does not do as good as or better job than the NU-Finish car polish and mineral spirits. Using walnut and corncob either separate or together. And it is cheaper. That is if you like shining brass?
GSSF Life Member
Old 03-03-2013, 11:19   #17
RustyFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 1 View Post
Oh wow so it has a good long life. That is good to know. I am now leaning towards a 50/50 cob/walnut mix. I think I will try that first along with the spirits and nufinish. Can't wait to get my media in.
I started reloading seven years ago. I started with walnut from the pet store. Works great. That is the walnut I mix 50/50 with the cob. I changed the media after around 15,000 cases. I don't think it needed to be changed that's when I went to the 50/50 mix. I have around 10,000 on the mix and still works great.
Old 03-06-2013, 15:12   #18
deputy1199

I used to use walnut media treated with that red polishing coating, but it had a tendency to get all over the bench, the floor and anything else in the area. So I switched to 2040 grit corncob blasting media with the NuFinish-mineral spirits mix added periodically. No more red surface coatings and the result is brass with a mirror finish and a polished surface with increased lubricity and reduced friction. That translates to easy passage through reloading dies without gauging the interior and better loading and ejecting in all of my pistols. A win-win situation all around.
deputy1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 15:27   #19
rockabillyrider

White rice. Low cost, no dust and works as well as anything I've tried.
rockabillyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:40   #20
cajun_chooter

walnut media cleans quicker than corn cob.. corn cob polishes better than walnut media..

walnut & corn cob media is available at Petsmart... CHEAP

walnut media is called --- lizzard liter
corn cob media is used for bird liter
cajun_chooter is offline   Reply With Quote