GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-25-2013, 20:47   #1
B_RAD

CZ Upland Ultralight O/U. Any experiance?

I saw one of these today for $650. I'm wanting a shotgun for a little clay pigeon, bird hunting. Nothing serious. Would love a nice Browning but don't want to spend that much. Anyone have/seen/shot one of these?
Old 02-25-2013, 21:05   #2
awpk03s

I don't have an ultra light, but I do have a CZ Mallard O/U and an Upland SxS, both in 12GA with 28" barrels and double triggers. I love them. They are excellently fit and finished shotguns for the money, and beautiful to boot. Both of mine point and swing very naturally.
awpk03s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14   #3
B_RAD

Nobody else has any experience with these?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47   #4
glock2740
Gun lover.

I almost bought one about a year or so ago. IIRC, they don't have ejectors and that was a deal breaker for me. Nice gun though. I finally broke down and bought a Citori Superlight Feather. Been wanting one for YEARS! Should land at my FFL Thursday.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:54   #5
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_RAD View Post
I saw one of these today for $650. I'm wanting a shotgun for a little clay pigeon, bird hunting. Nothing serious. Would love a nice Browning but don't want to spend that much. Anyone have/seen/shot one of these?
Call these guys. They are in Searcy. I went by there last week and they have an O/U for about that same money, maybe a tad less. Can't remember the name, but it was lightweight, pointed GREAT, looked good and had an awesome recoil pad. I almost bought it, but already had the Citori ordered. If I wouldn't have had the Citori deal in the works, I would have left with it no doubt. VERY nice gun for the money.

http://rangetradingsupply.com/
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21   #6
nathanours
Texan

I'm not familiar with the CZ you mentioned, but when shopping around one of the guns I looked at was the CZ Redhead Deluxe. It wasn't a bad feeling gun, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. The engraving on the receiver looked very shallow, cheap, and poorly done. I would have liked the gun better without it.

I'd look around for something used in your price range. Look at Beretta, Browning, and Ruger. Remember some guns will be chambered for 2 3/4" shells and some for both 2 3/4 and 3" shells. If you're shooting a bunch of trap a longer (30") barrel will be better but for upland birds many like a 26" barrel. Some of the older guns don't have removable chokes either.

With that said, I recently picked up a used Browning Citori in absolutely perfect shape for $900. It's a great gun.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

I just wanted to add that I called my local sporting clays range to ask the owner if they had any shotguns in the ~$1000 range on their pin board before I bought mine. (They've got it set up so local club members can post for sale adds there) The owner is a really high-volume clay shooter and former pro. He's been doing it for years, and while he found nothing for sale that matched my price range he told me that there were not any O/U shotguns that he would consider new for under $1400. He said that I was definitely doing the right thing in looking for a good nicer used gun. He's been working at the range for years and said he'd seen too many of the bargain guns fail. He said to especially stay away from the Mossberg Silver Reserve guns and the Franchi's. Hopefully this helps, good luck with your search!

Black Rifle Club #1989

Last edited by nathanours; 02-26-2013 at 10:34..
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:17   #7
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

I've got a CZ Ringneck 16 gauge SXS....and it's a great gun for the money. Yeah, it's not a Boss, but looks pretty good, is solid and dusts the clays at the gravel pit without any problem.

I got a few grouse and a partridge with it last fall. Good hunting gun as I'm not too worried about scratching it going through the thorn bushes..
Old 02-26-2013, 11:46   #8
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
I'm not familiar with the CZ you mentioned, but when shopping around one of the guns I looked at was the CZ Redhead Deluxe. It wasn't a bad feeling gun, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. The engraving on the receiver looked very shallow, cheap, and poorly done. I would have liked the gun better without it.

I'd look around for something used in your price range. Look at Beretta, Browning, and Ruger. Remember some guns will be chambered for 2 3/4" shells and some for both 2 3/4 and 3" shells. If you're shooting a bunch of trap a longer (30") barrel will be better but for upland birds many like a 26" barrel. Some of the older guns don't have removable chokes either.

With that said, I recently picked up a used Browning Citori in absolutely perfect shape for $900. It's a great gun.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

I just wanted to add that I called my local sporting clays range to ask the owner if they had any shotguns in the ~$1000 range on their pin board before I bought mine. (They've got it set up so local club members can post for sale adds there) The owner is a really high-volume clay shooter and former pro. He's been doing it for years, and while he found nothing for sale that matched my price range he told me that there were not any O/U shotguns that he would consider new for under $1400. He said that I was definitely doing the right thing in looking for a good nicer used gun. He's been working at the range for years and said he'd seen too many of the bargain guns fail. He said to especially stay away from the Mossberg Silver Reserve guns and the Franchi's. Hopefully this helps, good luck with your search!
What a bargain! I paid more than twice that for my new one. I'd have bought that in a half a heartbeat!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13   #9
B_RAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I almost bought one about a year or so ago. IIRC, they don't have ejectors and that was a deal breaker for me. Nice gun though. I finally broke down and bought a Citori Superlight Feather. Been wanting one for YEARS! Should land at my FFL Thursday.
Yeah, I would like ejectors. I'll call the place in Searcy and ask about the one you looked at. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2013, 13:58   #10
nathanours
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
What a bargain! I paid more than twice that for my new one. I'd have bought that in a half a heartbeat!
It was built in 1987. 3" chambers, invector chokes, and a 28" barrel. It was a one owner gun with the original box too. I got very lucky from a local ad on armslist. It's in new shape with not a single mark on the bluing or wood. It also had a fiber optic front sight installed that I've yet to decide if I like or not.

General Firearms Forum

To the OP- you may want to read this:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/...hreadid=115916

Black Rifle Club #1989

Last edited by nathanours; 02-26-2013 at 14:11..
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 14:18   #11
B_RAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanours View Post
It was built in 1987. 3" chambers, invector chokes, and a 28" barrel. It was a one owner gun with the original box too. I got very lucky from a local ad on armslist. It's in new shape with not a single mark on the bluing or wood. It also had a fiber optic front sight installed that I've yet to decide if I like or not.

General Firearms Forum

To the OP- you may want to read this:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/...hreadid=115916
I'll give you 1K!