GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 23:12   #161
Smithers
Senior Member
 
Smithers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Fly View Post
Preface: I suspect this may end up being a controversial thread. I post this because I am curious what all of you in CT (that are LE) think about my question. I'm not here to bash or start a "all cops are JBT's" type thread. Nor will I criticize any LE responses to this thread.

Background facts:
I have a family member who is LE in my state. Just to be 100% clear, CCW is shall issue in my state, and you're not legally required to inform LE during a stop. I am not LE myself, but I do have a ccw permit, and know a LOT of people who ccw themselves.

Anyways, during a phone call tonight, my family member (referred to as the FM from here on out) was talking about he dislikes shall issue ccw ("They hand them out like candy here"), and related a story of pulling over a driver for a minor traffic offense (no other reason for the stop other then the traffice violation).

Prior to the stop, running the plates shows nothing of interest. The driver was polite and compliant when contacted, and when requested for his car registration and insurance, reached over to his glover box to get the documents. When the driver reached over, his shirt hiked up a bit, revealing a handgun holstered on the left side hip area.

The FM at this point draws his firearm, points it at the head of the driver, and orders the driver out of the car and detains him.


My first question is this: Given the same situation, what would you do?


My second question related to this. Given the same situation, but lets say the driver informs you promptly during the stop that he's armed and has a permit. He keeps his hands on the steering wheel at all times. Under what circumstances do you feel it would be appropriate to pull the driver out of the car, and handcuff him?
Around here, the police are pretty high tech with plate readers, etc.

I would guess that the first thing an officer does is run the plate. Isn't the ccw database linked to to the license plate data base?

Wouldn't the officer know about the ccw before the car was approached ?
Smithers is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 23:32   #162
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,809
I've seen a few people now mentioning the CCW being tied to a license plate. Is that common, because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Say I have two cars, mine and my wife's. If I conceal-carry and she doesn't, who's plate gets "tagged"? What if one of us drives the other car? She drives mine, pings as a CCW, what happens when the officer says "Where's your gun?" Is he going to pull her out and search her because the tag says there should be one?

What if I borrow my brother's car when he's visiting from out of state? How's the cop going to feel when he sees, say, a MO plate with an IL licence that he can't run?

Tying it to a DL is a maybe in my book (some pros, some cons), but the license plate seems like a REALLY bad idea.
__________________
"I'm your priest, your shrink, your main connection to the switchboard of souls. I'm the Magic Man, the Santa Claus of the Subconscious. You say it, you even think it, you can have it." - Lenny Nero
WarCry is offline  
Old 02-28-2013, 23:57   #163
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
I've seen a few people now mentioning the CCW being tied to a license plate. Is that common, because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Say I have two cars, mine and my wife's. If I conceal-carry and she doesn't, who's plate gets "tagged"? What if one of us drives the other car? She drives mine, pings as a CCW, what happens when the officer says "Where's your gun?" Is he going to pull her out and search her because the tag says there should be one?

What if I borrow my brother's car when he's visiting from out of state? How's the cop going to feel when he sees, say, a MO plate with an IL licence that he can't run?

Tying it to a DL is a maybe in my book (some pros, some cons), but the license plate seems like a REALLY bad idea.

For our purposes, the R.O is assumed the driver.

When I run a plate, CCW permit pops up as well as if they are wanted, suspended, expired, have a TPO or CPO against them and who the protected party is.

It is a source of information. Why would your wife be pulled out of the car? If she isn't the registered owner why would that happen?

A few times I have run plates (which we aren't going to discuss, I'm permitted to do so by law) and discovered wants. I've pulled the vehicle over and it turns up the son, wife or whoever is driving the car registered to the wanted person. I advise them to have the person turn themselves in and cut them loose.
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 00:51   #164
The-Fly
The Bofh
 
The-Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,303
Having read every post in this thread, I'm really saddened of the disconnect between the armed civilian community, and the LE community.

And both sides are at fault. Or to be more clear, its a small minority of both sides that are at fault. And this makes positive interaction between our groups much more difficult.

On the CCW side, we have people who don't inform LE when pulled over (which regardless of it being required or not in a given state, is a REAL good idea in my professional opinion as a firearms instructor), or worse, don't keep their hands in plain sight. To my ccw brothers, we HAVE to acknowledge the extreme danger of a traffic stop from the LE point of view. We need to behave properly (above and beyond the mere legal requirements) during a stop in order to show the officer involved that we're not a threat despite the fact we're armed. When we do NOT do so, we're leaving a bad impression and possibly causing some "middle of the road" type cops to start having an attitude like the Canton, Ohio cop that we've all seen on youtube.

And on the LE side... Granted I'm not LE, but based on this thread, and a lot of LE I've talked to in person, I'd like to offer some suggestions. I hope the LE guys and gals will consider it. Most LE officers, probably the vast majority (especially the ones here in Cop Talk), are pretty respectful of us, and do not hassle us or otherwise treat ccw'ers in a poor manner. However, just like the small % of ccw'ers who are asses and make your lives harder, I think LE has their small % of jackasses. There's enough video and documentated cases of lawful ccw'ers getting jacked up under circumstances that we'd ALL agree don't warrant it, that it's causing some of us ccw'ers to not want to inform and be 110% cooperative during a stop.



I don't think this is a secret to anyone, but negative examples on BOTH sides is coloring our respective perceptions and behaivors (perhaps unfairly so, but we're all human). Neither sides goals are at opposition to each other (LE wants to go home safe, CCW'ers want to be able to carry with out undue harassment), and I hope that we can shrink the divide between us.

(God I sound like a Democrat, someone shoot me please )
__________________
Driver carries less than $20 of remorse.
The-Fly is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 00:52   #165
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
For our purposes, the R.O is assumed the driver.

When I run a plate, CCW permit pops up as well as if they are wanted, suspended, expired, have a TPO or CPO against them and who the protected party is.

It is a source of information. Why would your wife be pulled out of the car? If she isn't the registered owner why would that happen?

A few times I have run plates (which we aren't going to discuss, I'm permitted to do so by law) and discovered wants. I've pulled the vehicle over and it turns up the son, wife or whoever is driving the car registered to the wanted person. I advise them to have the person turn themselves in and cut them loose.
I know I'm not the only one here, but from MY end, I have no problem with you running plates whenever you feel like it. I understand that running the tag doesn't flip any switch that turns off a cop's brain. If the cars is registered to "Bob" and he has a warrant and it's obviously a "Barb" driving, well, that's just common sense.

I guess from my civvie point of view (yeah, that's gonna cause ripples...), I feel the tag should give info on the car - valid registration, valid insurance (can't believe more states don't do this), not reported stolen, etc. Tying the car's info to the driver so much just seems.....I don't know how to phrase it. Not ineffective, but I guess LESS effective, because outside of a few limited circumstance, pretty much anyone can borrow anyone else's car.

But, hey, if the system is working, by all means! I'm an outsider looking in and just sharing my view. I try hard not to MMQB, but I do appreciate to open forum that allows me to have a sane discussion about it!
__________________
"I'm your priest, your shrink, your main connection to the switchboard of souls. I'm the Magic Man, the Santa Claus of the Subconscious. You say it, you even think it, you can have it." - Lenny Nero
WarCry is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 01:13   #166
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
I know I'm not the only one here, but from MY end, I have no problem with you running plates whenever you feel like it. I understand that running the tag doesn't flip any switch that turns off a cop's brain. If the cars is registered to "Bob" and he has a warrant and it's obviously a "Barb" driving, well, that's just common sense.

I guess from my civvie point of view (yeah, that's gonna cause ripples...), I feel the tag should give info on the car - valid registration, valid insurance (can't believe more states don't do this), not reported stolen, etc. Tying the car's info to the driver so much just seems.....I don't know how to phrase it. Not ineffective, but I guess LESS effective, because outside of a few limited circumstance, pretty much anyone can borrow anyone else's car.

But, hey, if the system is working, by all means! I'm an outsider looking in and just sharing my view. I try hard not to MMQB, but I do appreciate to open forum that allows me to have a sane discussion about it!

It has to be tied to somebody. SOMEBODY owns that car and somebody drives it around, whether they do it to take their kids to school or to rob a bank.

How do we know Bob didn't grow his hair out?

To relate: A nearby agency's officer ran a plate on a back road one night, turns up it come back to a 65 year old lady in the township he works in. He happens to know this lady, knows that she has no family nearby and no reason for her to be out at 0400 plus it's a guy driving. It turns up the car was stolen from her driveway and it obviously had not been reported yet. They also found property from several B&E's.

The system isn't the best but it works and it is our system.
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 01:18   #167
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Fly View Post
Having read every post in this thread, I'm really saddened of the disconnect between the armed civilian community, and the LE community.

And both sides are at fault. Or to be more clear, its a small minority of both sides that are at fault. And this makes positive interaction between our groups much more difficult.

On the CCW side, we have people who don't inform LE when pulled over (which regardless of it being required or not in a given state, is a REAL good idea in my professional opinion as a firearms instructor), or worse, don't keep their hands in plain sight. To my ccw brothers, we HAVE to acknowledge the extreme danger of a traffic stop from the LE point of view. We need to behave properly (above and beyond the mere legal requirements) during a stop in order to show the officer involved that we're not a threat despite the fact we're armed. When we do NOT do so, we're leaving a bad impression and possibly causing some "middle of the road" type cops to start having an attitude like the Canton, Ohio cop that we've all seen on youtube.

And on the LE side... Granted I'm not LE, but based on this thread, and a lot of LE I've talked to in person, I'd like to offer some suggestions. I hope the LE guys and gals will consider it. Most LE officers, probably the vast majority (especially the ones here in Cop Talk), are pretty respectful of us, and do not hassle us or otherwise treat ccw'ers in a poor manner. However, just like the small % of ccw'ers who are asses and make your lives harder, I think LE has their small % of jackasses. There's enough video and documentated cases of lawful ccw'ers getting jacked up under circumstances that we'd ALL agree don't warrant it, that it's causing some of us ccw'ers to not want to inform and be 110% cooperative during a stop.



I don't think this is a secret to anyone, but negative examples on BOTH sides is coloring our respective perceptions and behaivors (perhaps unfairly so, but we're all human). Neither sides goals are at opposition to each other (LE wants to go home safe, CCW'ers want to be able to carry with out undue harassment), and I hope that we can shrink the divide between us.

(God I sound like a Democrat, someone shoot me please )
I will reiterate what I stated in a prior post: VERY few people are actually harassed by law enforcement. Most adults go their whole life with little to no trouble with LE save for the occasional speeding ticket.

Not all of us are Daniel Harless just like not all of you are Raul Rodriguez. You're correct, it is skewed either way and the trolls popping in don't help either.

I have no opposition to CCW permit holders. In fact, when I come across a CCW holder on a police contact and they are not carrying I ask them why they aren't.
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 03:56   #168
hardint
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 32
[QUOTE=txleapd;20036805]I used to be fond of saying, "Until the day bad guys start running around, holding up signs saying 'I'm a bad guy ', we have to assume EVERYONE could be a bad guy."



This quote is one of the MANY on this thread by LEO that fail to remember apparently this is the USA and a little thing about innocent until proven guilty ???
I Respect your Jobs and your Life is on the line & I have family and friends that are or have been LEO, but as a Law Abiding American I don't want { A GUN SCREWED IN MY EAR } with CCW permit you know when you run the plate before you approach the car that that the owner has given all his information to you in advance plus paid the Government the applicable fee's and you still seem to think everybody in America is a BAD PERSON ,I don;t get it ,do you not Trust Anyone except Yourselves? What % of your stops are Bad People ? 2% maybe,
If you treat people like you want to be treated as the good book states most of us lowely Citizens are just Dad's, Moms, Grandad's ,Grandma's, Brothers,Sisters, Friends, Relatives,fellow Church members,school supporters,ect not Felons,Robbers,Killers,Drug Dealers, Addicts,Molesters,Rapist,ect.
The one thing we all are is SINNERS. JMHO
hardint is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 04:03   #169
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,571
Quote:
This quote is one of the MANY on this thread by LEO that fail to remember apparently this is the USA and a little thing about innocent until proven guilty ???
I Respect your Jobs and your Life is on the line & I have family and friends that are or have been LEO, but as a Law Abiding American I don't want { A GUN SCREWED IN MY EAR } with CCW permit you know when you run the plate before you approach the car that that the owner has given all his information to you in advance plus paid the Government the applicable fee's and you still seem to think everybody in America is a BAD PERSON ,I don;t get it ,do you not Trust Anyone except Yourselves? What % of your stops are Bad People ? 2% maybe,
If you treat people like you want to be treated as the good book states most of us lowely Citizens are just Dad's, Moms, Grandad's ,Grandma's, Brothers,Sisters, Friends, Relatives,fellow Church members,school supporters,ect not Felons,Robbers,Killers,Drug Dealers, Addicts,Molesters,Rapist,ect.
The one thing we all are is SINNERS. JMHO
Spoken like someone who HAS NO IDEA what they're talking about.

Tactically speaking, it would behoove me to pull every one out of the car at rifle point and prone them out, then have my contact officer retrieve the necessary paperwork from them in order to issue a citation. Does this sound alright? It would by far be the safest method of traffic stops.


Quote:
What % of your stops are Bad People ? 2% maybe,
You ask a question which you have neither the knowledge or experience to answer, yet you did so anyway. In an attempt to belittle or attack police officers. In a word, nobody is a criminal until they commit a crime. That crime may occur against me and I will do everything in my power to ensure I go home safely. I know officer safety is a huge joke with the GNG crowd, so laugh away.

CCW permit doesn't equal good guy; not by a long shot.

Trust but verify. I assume everyone I come into contact with may attempt to take my life simply because of my job. The likelihood is low however the risk is there.

Please think before you post here.
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."

Last edited by Ohio Copper; 03-01-2013 at 04:11..
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 04:59   #170
hardint
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 32
Exactly the reaction I expected from a LEO GOD right ???No answer to the percentage question only judgement,my point EXACTLY.

Last edited by hardint; 03-01-2013 at 05:03..
hardint is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 05:08   #171
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardint View Post
Exactly the reaction I expected from a LEO GOD right ???No answer to the percentage question only judgement,my point EXACTLY.
GOD? Really?

The percentage of people I come into contact with who are "bad people" is probably 60/40 with some lengthy criminal histories mix in there. It also levies on your definition of "bad people" but I digress. The 40% is when I sit and run radar occasionally or when I take reports from residents.

2%? Did one of your LEO relatives say that?

You're damn right I don't trust too many people and there are plenty of reasons why.

What reaction were you searching for? You're wrong and you know nothing of what you speak of; simple enough for you?
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."

Last edited by Ohio Copper; 03-01-2013 at 05:09..
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 05:15   #172
ditchdoc24
Senior Member
 
ditchdoc24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 704
Georgia Law does not require the holder of a Georgia Weapons License to notify a LEO if they are in possession of a weapon during the course of a traffic stop. In addition, carrying a pistol is legal inside of one's vehicle or on one's property without a GWL. I've had numerous people provide me with their GWL along with their DL when I stop them. I always ask if there is a weapon in the vehicle and ask them to keep their hands on the steering wheel at all times unless asked. I arrested a GWL holder several weeks ago for DUI. He had a pistol holstered directly under the steering column of his vehicle and I asked him to step out of the vehicle to get him away from it. Most GWL holders are decent people but that doesn't mean I trust them either.
ditchdoc24 is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 05:44   #173
Roger1079
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South FL
Posts: 2,246
In FL, the permit holder is only required to inform the officer if asked. That being said, I would much rather take my chances telling the officer I am armed than taking the chance of him finding out I didn't tell him. In the 3 times I have been stopped since getting my CCW, one officer actually had me hand him the pistol and ran the serial and let me go with a warning (short version of that odd traffic stop). The other two just asked me to leave it where it was and said thank you for informing them. One let me off with a warning, while the other wrote me for failure to show insurance instead of 53 in a 40. The first mentioned stop is the only one where I was asked if a weapon was in the car (first thing the officer asked when he approached my window).

I am not a LEO however know plenty through work and they have one of the most stressful jobs there is. Every traffic stop could turn into a life or death situation and many officers make dozens of stops a day. Anything I can do to put the officer at ease will be done even if I am not required by law. As people have stated, a little honesty and courtesy can go a long way.
Roger1079 is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:12   #174
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardint View Post
This quote is one of the MANY on this thread by LEO that fail to remember apparently this is the USA and a little thing about innocent until proven guilty ???
I Respect your Jobs and your Life is on the line & I have family and friends that are or have been LEO, but as a Law Abiding American I don't want { A GUN SCREWED IN MY EAR } with CCW permit you know when you run the plate before you approach the car that that the owner has given all his information to you in advance plus paid the Government the applicable fee's and you still seem to think everybody in America is a BAD PERSON ,I don;t get it ,do you not Trust Anyone except Yourselves? What % of your stops are Bad People ? 2% maybe,
If you treat people like you want to be treated as the good book states most of us lowely Citizens are just Dad's, Moms, Grandad's ,Grandma's, Brothers,Sisters, Friends, Relatives,fellow Church members,school supporters,ect not Felons,Robbers,Killers,Drug Dealers, Addicts,Molesters,Rapist,ect.
The one thing we all are is SINNERS. JMHO
This post is so wrong you didn't even get the quote tags right.

I can't speak for every jurisdiction, and neither can you. I can tell you:

1) In my state, there is no permit database, let alone one linked to vehicle registrations.

2) We do not get criminal histories when we run plates.

3) We do not get criminal histories when we run a driver's license.

4) The registered owner of the car is not always the person driving. This is particularly true when a car is stolen. Further, a car does not come back stolen until it is reported stolen.

5) The computer does not always work.

6) How do you think it is that people are proven guilty? By law enforcement.

7) While prior behavior is the best indicator of future behavior, the absence of criminal convictions does not mean a person is not a "bad guy." The presence of criminal convictions does not mean a person is not a "good guy."
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:28   #175
Smithers
Senior Member
 
Smithers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
GOD? Really?

The percentage of people I come into contact with who are "bad people" is probably 60/40 with some lengthy criminal histories mix in there. It also levies on your definition of "bad people" but I digress. The 40% is when I sit and run radar occasionally or when I take reports from residents.

2%? Did one of your LEO relatives say that?

You're damn right I don't trust too many people and there are plenty of reasons why.

What reaction were you searching for? You're wrong and you know nothing of what you speak of; simple enough for you?
Ohio Copper -

Don't let this person get under your skin. I've lived in the Cleveland area for over 50 years and most of us appreciate every Ohio Copper out there.

That would include me, my family and my friends and neighbors.

You *are* appreciated.
Smithers is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:35   #176
merlynusn
Senior Member
 
merlynusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 3,281
Our CCW database is linked to the drivers license. The drivers license is linked to the license plate of the cars registered to you. If you and your wife are both on the registration, and there is a male driving, I'll run the male's license to see if it's suspended, etc. That's usually how the CCW would pop up. I was stopped by a state trooper and when I told him I had a weapon on me, he was like "What do you do that you have a firearm?" That's because he knew I didn't have a CCW. He also did NOT screw a gun in my ear... as he should not have since there was no valid reason for it. Had he done so, I'd have complained on him as soon as the stop was over.

We don't get a criminal history when we run a drivers license, just wanted on an NCIC hit.

And I agree with The-Fly's long post about both sides causing issues.

As for hardint... what percentage of stops are bad people. It depends on a lot of factors. What area you patrol, what your enforcement action is that day. how many stops you do that day, what you consider a bad person, etc. You can't quantify a percentage arbitrarily. You can only do so at the end of the day. I've had days when it was 100% and I've had days when it was 0% on traffic stops. It just depends.
merlynusn is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:02   #177
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardint View Post
This quote is one of the MANY on this thread by LEO that fail to remember apparently this is the USA and a little thing about innocent until proven guilty ???
I'll leave it to the professionals to handle the rest of your uninformed comments, but this is something I've had long and detailed arguments with family members about, time and time again.

"Innocent until proven guilty" applies to court. If everyone was "innocent until PROVEN", no one would ever get arrested. And I don't mean that as hyperbole. I mean that a cop is not a "jury of your peers", so they can't determine guilt.

Police deal in suspicion. I've seen a man arrested, standing over a body with a gun, and they are ACCUSED of murder, not convicted.

If you're stopped in a traffic stop, you have done something wrong. Period. It might be something as minor as turning without using your turn-signal, but there's SOMETHING that made you catch that cop's eye. In the more than two decades I've been driving, I've never been pulled over just because the cop was bored. Therefore, you were stopped based on suspicion of illegal activity. Even when you get a ticket, it's a court summons. You can admit guilt by paying the fine or you can go to court and challenge it. But a police officer is not declaring you guilty (which is why they say signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt). If they feel you are a risk to yourself or others, or for any of a number of other reasons (flight risk comes to mind), you can be arrested and incarcerated until you can go in front of a judge or jury. You're STILL not considered guilty, you're in custody pending an investigation and trial.

Your attitude is the kind of things that make cops worry when they walk up to a car. Attitudes like yours are undoubtedly responsible for far, far more tickets than any 'bully' cops who think they are 'gods'.

I am not now, never have been, and never will be a police officer. I'll also never take them for granted or go out of my way to make their lives harder. If I get stopped, THEY are in charge until they tell me otherwise.

Grow up. You're acting like a child, and it's a reflection on no one but yourself.
__________________
"I'm your priest, your shrink, your main connection to the switchboard of souls. I'm the Magic Man, the Santa Claus of the Subconscious. You say it, you even think it, you can have it." - Lenny Nero
WarCry is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:15   #178
okietom
Member
 
okietom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Western Oklahoma
Posts: 84
The LEO in this case is a ass because in Colorado there is no requirement to inform and it is legal to carry in a car without a permit. There was no legal reason to draw his gun. I am assuming that from the information provided by the OP.
__________________
"If we are to continue to have the freedoms that came of the inspiration of the Almighty to our Founding Fathers, we must return to the God who is their true Author." Gordon B Hinckley
okietom is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:15   #179
kingdong
Senior Member
 
kingdong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 105
[quote=hardint;20043917]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
I used to be fond of saying, "Until the day bad guys start running around, holding up signs saying 'I'm a bad guy ', we have to assume EVERYONE could be a bad guy."



This quote is one of the MANY on this thread by LEO that fail to remember apparently this is the USA and a little thing about innocent until proven guilty ???
I Respect your Jobs and your Life is on the line & I have family and friends that are or have been LEO, but as a Law Abiding American I don't want { A GUN SCREWED IN MY EAR } with CCW permit you know when you run the plate before you approach the car that that the owner has given all his information to you in advance plus paid the Government the applicable fee's and you still seem to think everybody in America is a BAD PERSON ,I don;t get it ,do you not Trust Anyone except Yourselves? What % of your stops are Bad People ? 2% maybe,
If you treat people like you want to be treated as the good book states most of us lowely Citizens are just Dad's, Moms, Grandad's ,Grandma's, Brothers,Sisters, Friends, Relatives,fellow Church members,school supporters,ect not Felons,Robbers,Killers,Drug Dealers, Addicts,Molesters,Rapist,ect.
The one thing we all are is SINNERS. JMHO
Innocent before proven guilty has absolutely nothing to do with officer safety. You treat everyone nicely but always have a plan to stop them if they start trying to hurt you. Period. Call it what you want, situational awareness, tactical edge, etc etc. . . When an officer shoots a person, technically speaking, they are still not a criminal. They are still innocent until proven guilty. We are charged with ensuring the public safety and given very specifically limited leeway to do so while protecting ourselves. It is not to punish or convict, it's to protect and serve.

No offense to anyone on here, but unless you are an officer and have gone through extensive situational tactical training, practical understanding and application of law training, spend your professional life assessing/dealing with threats, have a few stops under your belt and time on the job--you can't begin to understand the other side of a traffic stop. I get it, they are uncomfortable for the violator. Hell, I still get a sinking feeling on the occasion I get stopped. But assuming because you have a CCW that you are automatically not a threat is nonsensical. Many permit holders assume they are the equal (don't get mad I'll explain) of a police officer. They are not. They are not paid to nor responsible for ensuring the public safety. They don't have the certified, accredited training required by the state. I know, I know good enough for government work. But most officers train on their own and are immersed in a tactical profession. It is our job. Yes, even we are limited by what the government permits as far as gear choice and training budgets, but we have resources that a single permit holder doesn't. I feel as though these conversations always have an underlying "mines bigger than yours" sentiment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
|[(OO[_______R/T_]OO) ]|
kingdong is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:22   #180
kingdong
Senior Member
 
kingdong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
I'll leave it to the professionals to handle the rest of your uninformed comments, but this is something I've had long and detailed arguments with family members about, time and time again.

"Innocent until proven guilty" applies to court. If everyone was "innocent until PROVEN", no one would ever get arrested. And I don't mean that as hyperbole. I mean that a cop is not a "jury of your peers", so they can't determine guilt.

Police deal in suspicion. I've seen a man arrested, standing over a body with a gun, and they are ACCUSED of murder, not convicted.

If you're stopped in a traffic stop, you have done something wrong. Period. It might be something as minor as turning without using your turn-signal, but there's SOMETHING that made you catch that cop's eye. In the more than two decades I've been driving, I've never been pulled over just because the cop was bored. Therefore, you were stopped based on suspicion of illegal activity. Even when you get a ticket, it's a court summons. You can admit guilt by paying the fine or you can go to court and challenge it. But a police officer is not declaring you guilty (which is why they say signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt). If they feel you are a risk to yourself or others, or for any of a number of other reasons (flight risk comes to mind), you can be arrested and incarcerated until you can go in front of a judge or jury. You're STILL not considered guilty, you're in custody pending an investigation and trial.

Your attitude is the kind of things that make cops worry when they walk up to a car. Attitudes like yours are undoubtedly responsible for far, far more tickets than any 'bully' cops who think they are 'gods'.

I am not now, never have been, and never will be a police officer. I'll also never take them for granted or go out of my way to make their lives harder. If I get stopped, THEY are in charge until they tell me otherwise.

Grow up. You're acting like a child, and it's a reflection on no one but yourself.
Wow. Amazing. Thank you sir. You posted as I was typing otherwise I may not have even bothered. You said it better and obviously with more credibility than an officer has in here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
|[(OO[_______R/T_]OO) ]|
kingdong is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 15:36.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,120
344 Members
776 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31