Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 23:11   #121
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by billn View Post
If you can legally carry a gun in a car without a CCW and see one in the glove box when opened for registration do you arrest the person? The person did not break a law.
No, and in general, no cop would. If you dont have PC for an arrest, you dont arrest someone. That is a pretty "Cop 101" thing.

Now, that doesnt mean there are not a number of options available to me. From doing nothing to the threat of deadly force. What the person does next dictates what the next option I exercise is.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Old 02-27-2013, 23:13   #122
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
I guess if you do not have a CCW hide the gun in the trunk....lol

I got my CCW in the 80. I never used it and let it laps. When I was threatened to have my body slammed dunked on the hwy doing the speed limit by a crazy driver behind me wanting me to go over the speed limit, I got another. I stopped to let him by, he stopped, and he hit my windshield with his fist and I looked away till he left.
Your tactics were horrid in that situation.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

Old 02-27-2013, 23:15   #123
billn

What would you do in that situation as a civilian?

'Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.' - Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-27-2013, 23:17   #124
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Drive off.

Old 02-27-2013, 23:19   #125
billn

I though he might have a medical emergency and need to get past me. I did not realize he was full of road rage.

'Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.' - Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-27-2013, 23:21   #126
Ohio Copper

Quote:

Don't stop, keep driving. The safest place you can be in is a moving vehicle, honestly.

I've finally got my girlfriend to understand this. She now leaves a gap whereever she goes. Be it at a stoplight, Dunkin Donuts drive through, whatever. She now has room to pull away and drive off if the need arises.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Old 02-27-2013, 23:21   #127
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
I though he might have a medical emergency and need to get past me. I did not realize he was full of road rage.
Yes, fine, and when he started to also pull over....drive off.

When strange guy gets out of car headed for you, and you are stil in a car....drive off.

Keep driving, dial 911, drive to a public place, drive to a police station, just get away.

Old 02-27-2013, 23:49   #128
Steve in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
I call that: a clue.
A clue as to what? It's a truthful answer, he has nothing illegal in the vehicle. May not be the answer you want or like, but so what? The driver is under no obligation to answer if there are any weapons in the vehicle. I'm talking about a non-duty to inform state. It has nothing to do with the basis for the stop.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Old 02-28-2013, 02:49   #129
eccho

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Fly View Post
Preface: I suspect this may end up being a controversial thread. I post this because I am curious what all of you in CT (that are LE) think about my question. I'm not here to bash or start a "all cops are JBT's" type thread. Nor will I criticize any LE responses to this thread.

Background facts:
I have a family member who is LE in my state. Just to be 100% clear, CCW is shall issue in my state, and you're not legally required to inform LE during a stop. I am not LE myself, but I do have a ccw permit, and know a LOT of people who ccw themselves.

Anyways, during a phone call tonight, my family member (referred to as the FM from here on out) was talking about he dislikes shall issue ccw ("They hand them out like candy here"), and related a story of pulling over a driver for a minor traffic offense (no other reason for the stop other then the traffice violation).

Prior to the stop, running the plates shows nothing of interest. The driver was polite and compliant when contacted, and when requested for his car registration and insurance, reached over to his glover box to get the documents. When the driver reached over, his shirt hiked up a bit, revealing a handgun holstered on the left side hip area.

The FM at this point draws his firearm, points it at the head of the driver, and orders the driver out of the car and detains him.

My first question is this: Given the same situation, what would you do?

My second question related to this. Given the same situation, but lets say the driver informs you promptly during the stop that he's armed and has a permit. He keeps his hands on the steering wheel at all times. Under what circumstances do you feel it would be appropriate to pull the driver out of the car, and handcuff him?

You know, that would really really suck, but that's why I would tell an officer. I think he might have over reacted a little bit, but his first sign of the guy being armed wasn't "hey I have a permit" it was actually seeing his gun.

I was told in my CCW class if you don't tell an officer, that's likely to happen.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:54   #130
eccho

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
I typically let them go with a warning. No frisking or handcuffing involved.

Does that make me a good guy?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Yes, and in response to the other post, I don't think that makes you a bad guy at all. Does it suck for that guy? Yup.

But I feel like if you pull me over and I don't promptly tell you, I'm an idiot.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:38   #131
kingdong

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccho View Post
Yes, and in response to the other post, I don't think that makes you a bad guy at all. Does it suck for that guy? Yup.

But I feel like if you pull me over and I don't promptly tell you, I'm an idiot.
+1
Simplest most common sense post in here. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-28-2013, 07:58   #132
merlynusn

I'm in a duty to notify state as well. And actually, for a CCWer who does not inform as required, the first offense is an infraction (can't arrest).

If I saw a firearm in a holster on the hip, my first action wouldn't be "screwing a gun in his ear." It would be "Put your hands on the wheel and don't move!" Then I'd ask what is up with the firearm. LEOs are exempt from the CCW statute which means they are also exempt from the duty to notify (though nearly all do). You can take control without pointing your gun at someone.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46   #133
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
.. with the officer asking; "Are there any weapons in the vehicle?" Some drivers will say; "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle."
I call that: a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
A clue as to what? It's a truthful answer, he has nothing illegal in the vehicle. May not be the answer you want or like, but so what? The driver is under no obligation to answer if there are any weapons in the vehicle. I'm talking about a non-duty to inform state. It has nothing to do with the basis for the stop.
A clue there is a weapon or weapons in the vehicle. It is unlikely a truthful answer. Fact is, when I hear a response that is a diversion from my question and the person is claiming there is nothing illegal in the vehicle, there is usually something in the vehicle (or on their person) and the question I asked was the right question.

I am in a State where, if asked, you must declare. Therefore, it does matter.
Old 02-28-2013, 14:18   #134
KevinFACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdong View Post
+1
Simplest most common sense post in here. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
So pull over and piss your leg in submission. Got it.

This is what's wrong with police with that attitude.
Old 02-28-2013, 16:38   #135
tampashooters
Shellback

Well, I am not a criminal, so I have no duty to inform him, unless he asks.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 02-28-2013, 16:51   #136
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampashooters View Post
Well, I am not a criminal, so I have no duty to inform him, unless he asks.
Everyone I've arrested wasn't a criminal in their mind.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Old 02-28-2013, 16:52   #137
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFACE View Post
So pull over and piss your leg in submission. Got it.

This is what's wrong with police with that attitude.
Submission? What's wrong with just common courtesy? "Hey officer, just wanted to let you know I'm legally carrying a firearm.."

This is what's wrong with CCWers with that attitude, they just love to try and jam cops up and make their job more difficult. I think some of them truly hope to get a cop fired at some point in their life. They'd love to see them getting food stamps and staying at the mission, jobless and broke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
Old 02-28-2013, 17:25   #138
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
Submission? What's wrong with just common courtesy? "Hey officer, just wanted to let you know I'm legally carrying a firearm.."

This is what's wrong with CCWers with that attitude, they just love to try and jam cops up and make their job more difficult. I think some of them truly hope to get a cop fired at some point in their life. They'd love to see them getting food stamps and staying at the mission, jobless and broke.
Like any of those cop block videos on YouTube. They just make me absolutely sick.

Some people take their mommy and daddy issues into adulthood.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 17:27   #139
KevinFACE

Your mindset and how power hungry you are is what is wrong with all of it.

Surely you understand that MOST people AREN'T criminals. Yet you treat the common citizen, which admittedly you have less contact with, AS a common criminal.

That is what is so absurd about the gun (people) control laws, they empower the wrong people and make the rest of us sheep.

The 2nd amendment wasn't created to GIVE us these rights, it was created to KEEP YOU FROM TAKING IT.
Old 02-28-2013, 17:38   #140
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFACE View Post
Surely you understand that MOST people AREN'T criminals. .
I dont have a clue who I am dealing with, until I have dealt with them.

I dont know who is the child molester.
I dont know who is the rapist.
I dont know who is the road rager
I dont know who is the thief
I dont know who is going to try to kill me
I dont know who is going to try to kill you

...until I know. You saying so does not qualify....and lets be real clear on something, if we meet on the side of the road because I pulled you over, the only thing I do know is while looking everywhere to prevent or solve a crime, to help or save someone. To serve the community, to make a difference....I saw you, do what you did.

That is not a power trip. That is not a heavy hand. That is simply what it is.

Last edited by Rabbi; 02-28-2013 at 17:44..

Closed Thread