Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 12:46   #101
nikerret
Mr. Awesome
 
nikerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 7,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
.. with the officer asking; "Are there any weapons in the vehicle?" Some drivers will say; "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle."
I call that: a clue.
__________________
-Ambition is only appreciated after success.
-3/325:Now, where's my dedicated bodyguard? Oh, yeah, he's staring back at me in the mirror.
-"Every fear hides a wish"

Last edited by nikerret; 02-28-2013 at 11:41..
nikerret is online now  
Old 02-27-2013, 13:16   #102
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by huron bay View Post
Unless it has changed, the Garner case was the standard that is used to judge if the officer made the right call.
It is not.

Graham v. Connor is the standard in use of force cases. That case established that the use of force was a seizure, for constitutional purposes and established objective reasonableness as the standard in their analysis, specifically as judged from a reasonable and trained officer on the scene.

Garner addressed the use of deadly force to seize a fleeing felon.
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"

Last edited by DaBigBR; 02-27-2013 at 13:16.. Reason: Fixing tags...
DaBigBR is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 14:48   #103
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated
 
volsbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post

Garner addressed the use of deadly force to seize a fleeing felon.
Yeah Tennessee v. Garner was a real kill-joy
__________________
"Fast is fine. But accuracy is final."

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 14:57   #104
clancy
Senior Member
 
clancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
So while she ran the numbers you were left handcuffed in a prone position on the road way? Assuming near a roadway?


Maybe an NYSP guy can chime in soon.
Yes, while she ran the numbers I was in a prone position, face down with a Glock pointed at me. My son was crying and begging them not to shoot me. I can still hear it, and can also remembet at least one trooper teliing my son to "shut the f&*$ up". I can also remember the smirk on the female troopers face as she handed me back my unloaded pistol and told me to have a nice day.

I find it interesting you seem more interested where I was in relation to the road than my comment on off duty cops drunken activities when I was a bartender.
clancy is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 15:37   #105
Austin Millbarge
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 81
I find that entire scenario very hard to believe. I used to be a deputy down in Orange County and was a village cop over in Dutchess. Every single NYSP Trooper I have dealt with has been nothing but professional. Sullivan County Sheriffs have been great to work with in my experience as well. Can't even picture that in my head. But you say it happened, OK.
What bar? I don't drink but I have been to many local bars for fights and what not as a deputy.

Last edited by Austin Millbarge; 02-27-2013 at 15:37..
Austin Millbarge is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 15:46   #106
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up
 
txleapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 6,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by huron bay View Post
One thing a police officer can do to protect themselves from issues that can arise after the fact is to know your Department policy on Deadly Force. In the foregoing described McVeigh incident the troop had a car with no plate. This is more than just a car with a driver carrying a legal CW. I would not have pointed the weapon at the subject without additional information but I would sure as hell would have had it at the ready. If the officer has additional (vehicle description, subject description on the bombing) you would probably not have a problem. However, if a officer shoots a person that is carrying a CW legally accidentally or by mistake, good luck. You can be held accountable by State and or Federal both criminally and civil. These types of issues come up all the time. Unless it has changed, the Garner case was the standard that is used to judge if the officer made the right call. I'm not saying it is right, I'm saying that is what you are facing after a Fourth Amendment issue. Many would say it is not fair, you have a split second to decide, the courts have years to decide if you were right.

The officer in Illinois will at sometime in he career be involved in a suit, from someone who was carrying a CW lawfully, probably in Federal Court and it will be brought up pursuant to :
You failed on your quote of Supreme Court case law and your understanding of how a 1983 action really works.

Nothing in any court of law is determined based solely on an outcome, without considering the totality of the circumstances which led to that outcome.

Please stop trying to explain things that you obviously have no experience with.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919


"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 16:51   #107
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
Yes, while she ran the numbers I was in a prone position, face down with a Glock pointed at me. My son was crying and begging them not to shoot me. I can still hear it, and can also remembet at least one trooper teliing my son to "shut the f&*$ up". I can also remember the smirk on the female troopers face as she handed me back my unloaded pistol and told me to have a nice day.

I find it interesting you seem more interested where I was in relation to the road than my comment on off duty cops drunken activities when I was a bartender.
I have lived through other officers' drunken tomfoolery; they are no longer in LE. Please don't school me on being friends with a guy who does something stupid and loses his job because of it.


So there were two troopers involved? Unless she pointed a glock at you while in the car running your gun, something I can't do. We're you in a vehicle or a motorcycle?

You said this was last August?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 17:14   #108
clancy
Senior Member
 
clancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
I have lived through other officers' drunken tomfoolery; they are no longer in LE. Please don't school me on being friends with a guy who does something stupid and loses his job because of it.


So there were two troopers involved? Unless she pointed a glock at you while in the car running your gun, something I can't do. We're you in a vehicle or a motorcycle?

You said this was last August?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
There were 5 or 6 troopers involved. If memory serves, there were 2 troopers who were writing tickets for several motorcyclists when I got pulled over who came over as soon as they heard"gun", and a flat bed tow truck with several bikes on it. The trooper who pulled me over, the one who had his gun pointed at me while I was on the ground, and at least one other who was yelling at my son to calm down. I spent most of the time flat on my face and scared ****less, so I really can't give you many more details than that. And yes, I said August.
clancy is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 18:37   #109
razdog76
Heavy Mettle
 
razdog76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,184
The troop putting her hands on you would be a use of force, let alone grabbing your hair, and taking you to the ground.

This is a lot different than pointing/displaying a gun, baton, OC, Taser to someone, which is the threat of force, and using it, which is use of force. While there may appear to be a subtle difference, it is not.

Excessive use of force gets an LEO criminally charged, sued, and fired.

I think most LEO's, let alone the people that visit this forum follow the school of thought that if you have to put your hands on someone, they go to jail.

Not following this causes a lot of skepticism.
__________________
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 18:51   #110
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
There were 5 or 6 troopers involved. If memory serves, there were 2 troopers who were writing tickets for several motorcyclists when I got pulled over who came over as soon as they heard"gun", and a flat bed tow truck with several bikes on it. The trooper who pulled me over, the one who had his gun pointed at me while I was on the ground, and at least one other who was yelling at my son to calm down. I spent most of the time flat on my face and scared ****less, so I really can't give you many more details than that. And yes, I said August.

Was the weapon pointed at you the entire time you were in handcuffs?

Were you in a vehicle or on a motorcycle?

As raz stated, if I go through all that; you're going to jail.

How long would you say you were in custody for? Was your son just standing there on the side of the road?
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 21:13   #111
clancy
Senior Member
 
clancy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Was the weapon pointed at you the entire time you were in handcuffs?

Were you in a vehicle or on a motorcycle?


As raz stated, if I go through all that; you're going to jail.

How long would you say you were in custody for? Was your son just standing there on the side of the road?
I don't think it was. I looked over to my son, who was screaming please don't shoot my daddy, and looked up and saw the pistol pointed at me. The trooper holding it told me if I was smart I would not move, or something to that effect. When I was picked up off the ground, it wasn't pointed at me.

I was on a motorcycle.

Why would I go to jail if I committed no crime? The only mistake I made was telling the trooper I had a licensed pistol on me when she asked me for my license, registration and insurance paper.

I was in custody for maybe 10 or 15 minutes, maybe a bit longer, maybe a bit less. It seemed a long time. My son was alongside the road, by my Harley.

Here we are:

Attachment 231593

As an aside, last month a State Trooper was in my son's class, doing some kind of safety presentation. My son was so upset at the sight of him he had to leave the class. I have tried to explain to him not all cops are bad, he says he doesn't believe me, and that he is scared to be around them. He say now if a cop ever comes near him he is going to run away. Hell of a way for an 11 year old boy to feel, isn't it.

Last edited by clancy; 03-03-2013 at 07:51..
clancy is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 21:38   #112
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
I don't think it was. I looked over to my son, who was screaming please don't shoot my daddy, and looked up and saw the pistol pointed at me. The trooper holding it told me if I was smart I would not move, or something to that effect. When I was picked up off the ground, it wasn't pointed at me.

I was on a motorcycle.

Why would I go to jail if I committed no crime? The only mistake I made was telling the trooper I had a licensed pistol on me when she asked me for my license, registration and insurance paper.

I was in custody for maybe 10 or 15 minutes, maybe a bit longer, maybe a bit less. It seemed a long time. My son was alongside the road, by my Harley.

Here we are:

Attachment 231593

As an aside, last month a State Trooper was in my son's class, doing some kind of safety presentation. My son was so upset at the sight of him he had to leave the class. I have tried to explain to him not all cops are bad, he says he doesn't believe me, and that he is scared to be around them. He say now if a cop ever comes near him he is going to run away. Hell of a way for an 11 year old boy to feel, isn't it.


Why would you; as an assumably reasonable person, not file a complaint over this?

What date/location did this occur? I'm thinking an NYS trooper or two has seen this.
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 21:52   #113
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 30,730


I agree, you certainly have the ability to tell us the story, why didnt you lodge a complaint?
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is online now  
Old 02-27-2013, 22:23   #114
razdog76
Heavy Mettle
 
razdog76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I agree, you certainly have the ability to tell us the story, why didnt you lodge a tort?
My thoughts.

The reason I take people to jail if I must use force is because I don't use force unless it it necessary to stop a violent action, or effect an arrest... I take that back, every once in a while I have to use force to assist EMS with an ill diabetic, or after issuing an involuntary application for a mental health evaluation.

My thoughts are that if you must use force to effect something that is not a crime, then you probably used excessive force.

TBO made an excellent primer on the subject of force which is stickied in the coptalk forum.
__________________
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 22:37   #115
billn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 445
I think in GA calling in the tag gives all info needed. Info like if the car has ins and who owns the car, etc. There should be no need to go in the glove box for paperwork. Holding a valid DL should be all required.
__________________
Certified Glock Armorer
G19, G26 gen4

'Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.' - Benjamin Franklin
billn is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 22:44   #116
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 30,730


Quote:
Originally Posted by billn View Post
I think in GA calling in the tag gives all info needed. Info like if the car has ins and who owns the car, etc. There should be no need to go in the glove box for paperwork. Holding a valid DL should be all required.
I can do that in Texas but the Law says I can require the DRIVER to provide proof of financial responsibility.

Here is the other problem with your thoughts.

when I pull someone over, I have called in the plate but I dont have a return, I am going to get out and make contact. I want their DL and insurance. End of story, when I make contact, I dont know who they are or anything other than what I can see about the car.

When I return to my car, then I get a return on the plate (after I call in the DL) I can run it on my laptop if I want as well.

BTW, the system goes down. The system is off sometime. Sometime the system actually gives us a return that is "check manually" Point being, we do it the way we do it because that is how the system has evolved and represents best practices, no matter how you feel about it.

Having said all of that, I have been known to cut people a break who dont have proof of financial responsibility IF it comes back in the system they do. Officer discretion.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is online now  
Old 02-27-2013, 22:53   #117
razdog76
Heavy Mettle
 
razdog76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,184
In addition to what Rabbi said, I ask for registration to test divided attention skills.
__________________
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 22:57   #118
billn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 445
If you can legally carry a gun in a car without a CCW and see one in the glove box when opened for registration do you arrest the person? The person did not break a law.
__________________
Certified Glock Armorer
G19, G26 gen4

'Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.' - Benjamin Franklin
billn is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 23:02   #119
Ohio Copper
Senior Member
 
Ohio Copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rust Belt.
Posts: 4,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by billn View Post
If you can legally carry a gun in a car without a CCW and see one in the glove box when opened for registration do you arrest the person? The person did not break a law.
Here, you wouldn't be CCW you'd be improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

You would not pass go or collect 200$, you'd go straight to county.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline  
Old 02-27-2013, 23:10   #120
billn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 445
I guess if you do not have a CCW hide the gun in the trunk....lol

I got my CCW in the 80. I never used it and let it laps. When I was threatened to have my body slammed dunked on the hwy doing the speed limit by a crazy driver behind me wanting me to go over the speed limit, I got another. I stopped to let him by, he stopped, and he hit my windshield with his fist and I looked away till he left.
__________________
Certified Glock Armorer
G19, G26 gen4

'Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security.' - Benjamin Franklin
billn is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,052
278 Members
774 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31