Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:32   #1
XDMUSER

I'm in the game!

So I finally found a good deal on my first glock and decided to go big. Picked up a used Gen 3 G20 w/5 mags, a few aftermarket parts and some ammo.

The gun appears to be in good shape and I like the extended slide stop and mag release. I am really looking forward to shooting it but I have one question. When I remove the slide the aftermarket SS guide rod just falls out, is this normal? None of my other handguns do this, I always to have remove the guide rod before I can remove the barrel for cleaning.

Now if I can find a good deal on a used 50gi conversion, my big bang mission will be complete. Taking it out to the range tonight with my Vepr-12 for some heavy Monday night target practice.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 Ring - Click for larger version  

Last edited by XDMUSER; 02-25-2013 at 05:36..
XDMUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

There should be enough tension to hold the guide rod in place even if it is a captive rod. Either it slipped out of place while taking it apart or there is not enough tension which would mean the rod assembly is too short to allow the spring to secure it in place.

When putting it back together locate the small notch at the base of the barrel's locking lug, the spring and rod should fit this notch when you place it back in the slide.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47   #3
RMM

+1!

If it doesn't have enough tension to hold itself in place, then there will not be enough force holding the barrel locked up.
RMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 17:31   #4
XDMUSER

So I made sure to reassemble it as you stated and it still is falling out when I take the slide off. So I gave the factory one a try and it stays on most of the time. I also snapped a pic of the two next to each other.

The aftermarket one appears to be shorter. But since the factory one did it a few times now I feel something else might be going on. I think maybe my take down technique might be wrong. Any tips or tricks you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated!

In the pic of the two rods includes the package the aftermarket one came in. Is this possibly the wrong rod and should I order a new one? If so, any recommendations on a new rod?Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361835096244.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	231538

Last edited by XDMUSER; 02-25-2013 at 17:49..
Old 02-25-2013, 19:07   #5
G29SFWTF

Nice looking G20 package. I use Wolff springs in my G29 and they have worked well. The non-captive design makes for easy spring change out too if you want to try higher or lower power recoil springs.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...ID=1&mID=5#109

Last edited by G29SFWTF; 02-25-2013 at 19:07..
G29SFWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 19:35   #6
XDMUSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29SFWTF View Post
Nice looking G20 package. I use Wolff springs in my G29 and they have worked well. The non-captive design makes for easy spring change out too if you want to try higher or lower power recoil springs.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...ID=1&mID=5#109
Thanks man! I will check out the wolff springs. I am currently trying to find a gunsmith in my area to give it a once over before I shoot it. I could just be a dumb bass and doing something wrong myself?

Old 02-25-2013, 20:12   #7
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Congrats XDMUser on the nice purchase.

You do need a new recoil spring. Before getting one of the aftermarket springs, I'd first get one of these:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...OD=520&CAT=126

The factory setup works well accross the board. If you later feel that more spring tension is needed, an aftermarket setup might be in order. I do have a Wolff spring and steel guide rod, but the stock setup gives better performance.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 20:35   #8
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

I prefer stock Glock parts for 100% reliability. A stock rod should hold itself in place, but not under so much tension it wants to pop out. I don't think it should be FALLING out.

Unless I'm high on crack, I don't think the 50 GI will work in your 20's upper. Or do they sell the entire 50 upper as a unit, slide included? The barrel "bushing" on a stock G20 slide is nowhere big enough to fit a 50 caliber barrel.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:46   #9
XDMUSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
I prefer stock Glock parts for 100% reliability. A stock rod should hold itself in place, but not under so much tension it wants to pop out. I don't think it should be FALLING out.

Unless I'm high on crack, I don't think the 50 GI will work in your 20's upper. Or do they sell the entire 50 upper as a unit, slide included? The barrel "bushing" on a stock G20 slide is nowhere big enough to fit a 50 caliber barrel.
Gun Crafters Inc makes a drop on complete upper w/magazine, no gunsmithing involved. Just swap out the slides and use their mag. It is designed to work on a G20 or 21.

Old 02-27-2013, 18:17   #10
bac1023

Congrats on the G20.

I just bought one myself this month.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 18:42   #11
XDMUSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Congrats on the G20.

I just bought one myself this month.
Thanks! It appears I have a fix or two to wrap up on it, then hopefully off to the range! I really wanted the 20c but people around here want retirement money for them. I'm on a few lists hopefully I can snag one cheap.

Then I will just make this one a dedicated 50gi.

Old 02-27-2013, 22:39   #12
ccoprdc

XDMUSER, my brand new G20 did the same thing when I bought it. I called Glock and according to the Tech I spoke to this is normal on the G20's. I told him that none of my 19 other glocks had this problem with their recoil springs. The tech sent me a NEW replacement RSA in the mail. When it arrived I installed it, cycled the slide a couple of times, took it back apart and voila, the new one fell out just like the one did that was in it from the store.

David C.
aka ccoprdc
ccoprdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:00   #13
Cwlongshot

I have been using Wolff springs in my firearms for over twenty years. I also much prefer the captured guide rod.

I have one in my 20 and bought and experimented with diff spring weights too.

Good luck,
CW
Old 02-28-2013, 05:09   #14
XDMUSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoprdc View Post
XDMUSER, my brand new G20 did the same thing when I bought it. I called Glock and according to the Tech I spoke to this is normal on the G20's. I told him that none of my 19 other glocks had this problem with their recoil springs. The tech sent me a NEW replacement RSA in the mail. When it arrived I installed it, cycled the slide a couple of times, took it back apart and voila, the new one fell out just like the one did that was in it from the store.

David C.
aka ccoprdc
Good to know! I was starting to feel like a dummy! I did however already order a new factory and SS guide rod assembly but hey, they were cheap and gave me an excuse to order some other stuff for it as well:D.

Old 03-01-2013, 19:38   #15
G36shooter

Keep it stock, it will work just fine. Spend your money on ammo.
G36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 00:40   #16
ccoprdc

Just thought I'd let everyone know I just traded a G23 for a used G29 and it has the same problem as my G20. Both of them are equipped with stock RSA's and both fall out when removing the slide. I've never had this problem with any of my other Glock's and the Glock tech assures me it's normal for the 10mm's, but I still think it's odd.

David C.
aka ccoprdc
ccoprdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:38   #17
Bravo2

There is a 50gi kit on gunbroker now listed for 600.00 by that company. I don't know how much they normally are. I had just listed my g20 there aswell when I ran across it. It was all stainless steel.
Big Dawg #1399, HK Club #1399, .40 club #1399, Black Rifle #1399, Sub Club #1399, Sig club #1399, 1911 Club #1399, 21 Club #1399, Kahr club #1399, S&W club #1399,
Bravo2 is offline   Reply With Quote