Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:45   #1
wvtarheel

Accuracy tips for new shooters

Hello. I am trying to shrink my groups and become a more accurate and proficient shooter. I shoot a G19 gen4.

Last week I worked on keeping my stance more consistent, and started paying more attention to my sight picture and trigger control.

The sight picture thing, I think I have down but need practice.

Any tips on trigger control?

I've been doing dry fire drills with snap caps, any other drills I should be aware of?

Anything else I need to look at, other than stance, sight picture, and trigger control?
wvtarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57   #2
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

More sight picture and trigger control than stance. Make sure it's a smooth even pull with a good follow through. As long as your sights are still lined up you're good to go.

A drill that helps me is to mix in a few dummy rounds with live rounds at the range. This lets me know if I'm anticipating recoil or doing other weird stuff. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:59   #3
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Read my blog.....especially the articles on page two.

<-- Click on the little 10.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.

Last edited by Butch; 02-19-2013 at 10:00..
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:01   #4
wvtarheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Read my blog.....especially the articles on page two..
Excellent information, and a great help!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:15   #5
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Another +1 for Butch's blog. Very, very helpful information. Guy knows his stuff! Also, something you might want to look at: http://bullseyepistol.com/

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:39   #6
Jim85IROC

About the only two things that I concentrate on when I shoot are a nice smooth, easy trigger pull, and to do so while exhaling. My father taught me to do it as a kid, and it's served me well.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:22   #7
RDC76

Sights!! as long as your grip is good and trigger control is good i would look at new sights. I just put on the warren tactical sights with the plain rear and fiber optic front and it is the best money ive spent so far hands down for me. the sight picture is soooo much better. and this is on a gen 4 19.
they were only 75.00 bucks.

not to say just throw money at it obviously pracrtice, but these are alot better than what comes standard and really improved my accuracy and shot to shot time.

Rich

Last edited by RDC76; 02-19-2013 at 16:25..
RDC76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 18:41   #8
kirbinster

I don't know. I have good grouping but continue to shoot low and left about 3" at 7 yards. When I dry fire the gun does not move at all. I even have a SIRT laser trainer and do very well with it. But when I am at the range with real ammo I can see the gun shake just slightly in my hands. I guess I am just anticipating that noise. Not sure how to fix that.
kirbinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 19:19   #9
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
I don't know. I have good grouping but continue to shoot low and left about 3" at 7 yards. When I dry fire the gun does not move at all. I even have a SIRT laser trainer and do very well with it. But when I am at the range with real ammo I can see the gun shake just slightly in my hands. I guess I am just anticipating that noise. Not sure how to fix that.
Drop the laser and do this--> http://glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Old 02-19-2013, 19:26   #10
SCmasterblaster

My tip: I have noticed that when I dry-fire my G17 using the middle of my fingerprint to squeeze the trigger, the front sight wiggles. When I use the back of my knuckle to squeeze the trigger, the front-sight remains steady. I can do this because I have a large hand.
Old 02-19-2013, 19:27   #11
kirbinster

Thanks. I am not using a laser for sighting. The SIRT has a green laser that shows me shot placement.
kirbinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 19:40   #12
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
Thanks. I am not using a laser for sighting. The SIRT has a green laser that shows me shot placement.
Yup, but it makes you look downrange instead of keeping your visual focus on your front sight, which is where you need it to be.....a bad habit to get into.

Don't look down at the target to see where the bullet landed after each shot, keep your focus on the front sight through the whole group and check the target after you put the gun down.

NRA Life Member
Old 02-25-2013, 08:06   #13
wvtarheel

Thanks for all the excellent advice. I was out this weekend and it really helped. Butch, your blog ought to be required reading for new shooters, great information there.
Old 02-25-2013, 21:25   #14
matt_lowry123

I watched a video that somebody made that's on this site. I can't remember who it was, but they put a empty shell case on the front sight or maybe right behind it. I can't remember, anyways do dry fire drills like that. A tip that a shooter gave me was, you should always see the muzzle blast. I think once you can do that, it'll help you calm down from any anticipations that you might have.
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 21:50   #15
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_lowry123 View Post
I watched a video that somebody made that's on this site. I can't remember who it was, but they put a empty shell case on the front sight or maybe right behind it.
The problem with that is that it makes it right difficult to see the front sight.

Quote:
A tip that a shooter gave me was, you should always see the muzzle blast.
Ideally, you should be able to see where your front sight is when the gun goes off, and thus, be able to 'call the shot'....as in whether it's high, low, left, or right etc...

NRA Life Member
Old 02-25-2013, 21:51   #16
Emmett4glock

I took a screenshot of this answer from someone on this forum I believe but didn't get their name to give them credit. I hope they will step forward. Here is what they said: "For what it's worth dry fire some, balance a cartridge on end just behind the front sight and if it doesn't fall after you pull the trigger, wait a couple of seconds, balance a dime on your front sight and dry fire aimed under the dime. This is a sure fire way to tighten groups and will give you a better idea if it might be you or the sights. Either way your groups should tighten."
I apologize for not having the name of the OP of this great advice, but I thought it was worth repeating.

Also, great advice on Butch's blog, thanks.

Last edited by Emmett4glock; 02-25-2013 at 21:58..
Emmett4glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 21:56   #17
JimD303

Few things take the place of quality instruction.

I wouldn't be the shooter I am today without having trained under guys like Vickers, Defoor, JD Potynsky, Hackathorn, etc.

Most people over-emphasize the use importance of stance, or sights. Trigger control is the biggest hurdle to accuracy with a pistol, by far.

Trigger control drills like the balanced case drill, or ball and dummy, will go a long way.
JimD303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 23:10   #18
Shiloh228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett4glock View Post
I took a screenshot of this answer from someone on this forum I believe but didn't get their name to give them credit. I hope they will step forward. Here is what they said: "For what it's worth dry fire some, balance a cartridge on end just behind the front sight and if it doesn't fall after you pull the trigger, wait a couple of seconds, balance a dime on your front sight and dry fire aimed under the dime. This is a sure fire way to tighten groups and will give you a better idea if it might be you or the sights. Either way your groups should tighten."
I apologize for not having the name of the OP of this great advice, but I thought it was worth repeating.

Also, great advice on Butch's blog, thanks.
What???! Is this another snipe hunt?

Last edited by Shiloh228; 02-25-2013 at 23:10..
Shiloh228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 23:45   #19
MotoGlock

Guys, you don't necessarily have to stare and make the front site your main visual focal point. I believe there is more to it. I may not be the best to describe it. Here is someone
Who is a pretty darn good shot explaining some skill points.

MotoGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 00:22   #20
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Good stuff here. Hope this helps, too.

Tactics and Training
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote