Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2013, 13:56   #141
iDivideByZero
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
Thanks for that great advice -- I'm sure it's approved SOP in any municipality in the country! General Firearms Forum

Ya, my bad, next time I make reference to current news topics I'll be sure to post a link. General Firearms Forum
Old 03-01-2013, 14:29   #142
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDivideByZero View Post
Ya, my bad, next time I make reference to current news topics I'll be sure to post a link. General Firearms Forum
Hey man -- I got your satirical reference to Biden the first time. I was making a satirical reply in return. General Firearms Forum

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 14:39   #143
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
Dang, there's no one-size-fits-all firearm that covers every situation.
General Firearms Forum

KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 14:40   #144
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
I get the idea about #4 buck at 12 feet. But at 12 feet with a clean miss, my pellets will go through 1/2" of drywall, 3 1/2" fiberglass insulation, then whatever crap they builder used for exterior sheathing (not plywood) plus vinyl siding, and here's the important part, 10 to 40 yards of air before crashing into my neighbor's house. #4 buck will be far less devastating traveling through all that than a 158 grains of .357 magnum traveling the same path. What's the spread of #4 buck at 40 yds out of a 18.5" bbl with no choke? What happens to those pellets at that range as they try to punch in through the same wall construction that is just punched out of...40 yrd down range?
Do not forget, as most detractors seem to do, that the initial penetration is made possible by the effect of the pellets arriving "en masse". After they have impacted a barrier the pattern is very, very likely to widen considerable and then you are left with the characteristics of an individual pellet (of what ever diameter) that has been slowed considerably. Hardly the danger to the next barriers as it was to the first.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 14:43   #145
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
I USED to think that a shotgun was the greatest defensive tool on earth. But one night, I heard the sound of someone breaking in through the front door. I immediately got up and ran to the back door, where I kept my shotgun "staged" in a closet along with some loose shells. Running now to the front door, I fumbled with the shells and dropped them all on the floor except one. This, despite my panic and adrenaline rush, I managed to load into my pump shotgun.

But again in my panic, I kept jacking the slide on the shotgun -- ejecting the one shell I did have and continuing to pump uselessly. You may ask how my thumb managed to stay on the slide release that whole time I'm moving around. To this day, I couldn't say -- I guess $h1t happens.

I got to the front door, and the sound of me repeatedly racking the slide must have scared the attempted house-breaker away, because I opened the front door to see him fleeing into the night. I immediately fell to the floor, threw up my guts, and wept like a little girl.

This experience has taught me that shotguns are useless for home defense, and that one would be better served with a cell phone set to speed-dial 911 and a Depends adult diaper.

[/satire]

(with the help of a leftist article posted a few weeks ago)

Uncle Joe, didn't Barry tell you that you weren't allowed to play on the internet without supervision?

Do you want another spanking from Michelle?

Old 03-01-2013, 14:48   #146
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Uncle Joe, didn't Barry tell you that you weren't allowed to play on the internet without supervision?

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 15:10   #147
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
General Firearms Forum

You win this round.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:11   #148
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post

I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:35   #149
HWI

Use a Saiga 12 or VEPR 12 if you think a standard tube fed shotty is too slow.
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 17:54   #150
FloorPoor

For home defense, at living room ranges, I would much rather have my mossberg 500 than any of my glocks. No over penetration and ONE shot stops.

I hope I don't live next door to anybody who has plans to blaze away at an intruder with a rifle.
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 17:59   #151
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
Use a Saiga 12 or VEPR 12 if you think a standard tube fed shotty is too slow.
Please don't say "shotty".

Last edited by Restless28; 03-01-2013 at 17:59..
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 18:20   #152
Boats
Not Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
Not to get off topic but some "tactical" shotguns like the 590A1 20" have heavy-walled barrels. What's the purpose of that on a shotgun? Do they need a thick barrel for anything or just perceiving durability?
My 870 Police has a standard thickness barrel (I think...?). Then I see some have thick barrels, but not others.
The 590A1 has the heavy walled barrel because, as stated in this thread, the Navy/USMC are the primary purchasers and users of those shotguns and shipboard shotguns can get "dinged" going just about anywhere, on ladders, hatches, watertight door openings, name it. The barrel is meant to hold up to that.

As for the supertanker problem, the beauty in boarding a ship is that you get to see how big it is before you set out to it. The shotguns are always augmented by M-14 rifles and the bigger the vessel the more of them are issued out of the weapons lockers.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 18:57   #153
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
For home defense, at living room ranges, I would much rather have my mossberg 500 than any of my glocks. No over penetration and ONE shot stops.

I hope I don't live next door to anybody who has plans to blaze away at an intruder with a rifle.
Depends on the rounds used in both.
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 19:32   #154
Teecher45

Obsolete, probably won't ever be. Too cheap to buy, too easy to use, and too damn reliable.
But reading this thread from the beginning got me thinking.
Before we get into this know that I have an 870, a Colt 6920, and a SLR 107 all set-up for HD. I like them all.
1) if I had 8 rounds in my 12 gauge with some good #4 shot (or #1 personally) would I feel more comfortable with 8 one shot stops? If all center mass hits.
How many would argue that it takes (normally) 3-4 hits with a .223 to stop the BG. Wouldn't that make it close to even on the high capacity thing? I'm no expert, just going by some things I've been told, and it's just a question. Take it easy on me.
2) on the other side of the equation, those nine .30 (or whatever your load works out to be) may deliver more pellets/bullets (I've heard some say "1 shot from my shotgun has more payload than a .357 mag revolver". Well, there's 1 big problem, those pellets won't, and don't, expand like HP's will.
Now, me personally, I've got it down to this.
In my house and in my car, pistol (I like the attached light giving me the free hand in the house).
In the yard, 870. I like the chances of a 1 shot stop.
Coyote hunting, AR.
Hear something, but don't have a clue what it was, walking out with my AK, attached bright white light, Aimpoint micro.
Use what you want and are comfortable with. Be happy.
Old 03-01-2013, 20:20   #155
hogship
It's MY Island

Here's a little truth to be heard here..........

No matter what you use for HD, you are preparing for the unknown.

Pick the weapon of your choice, and there is a possibility if, and when the time comes to use it......you could have made exactly the wrong choice.

Chances are that no matter what you choose, there will be plenty of possibilities where you could prevail with a variety of possible choices.

Depending on the timing, and when and where I might need to defend myself and family......it could end up being a shotgun, or a rifle, or a pistol, or a revolver. Any one of those things could mean I die.......and any one of those things could mean a bad guy gets stopped.

......it's all a gamble.

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 20:47   #156
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
Only by landlubbers. The fleet loves them some shotguns.
Nothing says "Prepare to be boarded" better in my opinion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 20:51   #157
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
Here's a little truth to be heard here..........

No matter what you use for HD, you are preparing for the unknown.

Pick the weapon of your choice, and there is a possibility if, and when the time comes to use it......you could have made exactly the wrong choice.

Chances are that no matter what you choose, there will be plenty of possibilities where you could prevail with a variety of possible choices.

Depending on the timing, and when and where I might need to defend myself and family......it could end up being a shotgun, or a rifle, or a pistol, or a revolver. Any one of those things could mean I die.......and any one of those things could mean a bad guy gets stopped.

......it's all a gamble.

ooc

Bravo sir, well said.
Old 03-01-2013, 21:14   #158
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullman View Post
Nothing says "Prepare to be boarded" better in my opinion
I don't know. A shotgun isn't a very intimidating weapon compared to putting a 5 inch round across the bow.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 21:37   #159
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
Blaze away????

What are you some dizzy headed lib that rants about things turning into "the Wild West" or "Macho Men" out "Packing Heat?

Slap yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Please don't say "shotty".
Even though I'm not yo' man, you not mah gurl, I'ma call you my shoooooooooooty...

General Firearms Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecher45 View Post
Before we get into this know that I have an 870, a Colt 6920, and a SLR 107 all set-up for HD. I like them all.
...and you're probably going to be stopping rounds with your upper torso when the **** goes down and you're still trying to decide "what to wear."

Pick one and roll with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecher45 View Post
How many would argue that it takes (normally) 3-4 hits with a .223 to stop the BG. Wouldn't that make it close to even on the high capacity thing? I'm no expert, just going by some things I've been told, and it's just a question. Take it easy on me.
The vast majority of humans, when shot with an M4, immediately hit the ground deader than ****.

Last edited by KalashniKEV; 03-01-2013 at 21:38..
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 22:08   #160
Teecher45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post

...and you're probably going to be stopping rounds with your upper torso when the **** goes down and you're still trying to decide "what to wear."

Pick one and roll with it.
You should re-read my post. According to the situation.
Are you one of those that think one weapon can do it all?