SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2013, 21:03   #181
Teecher45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
So like Call of Duty you're going to press a button and out-pops-an AR/Shotgun/Pistol once you dispatch the intruder in your house, start to dial 911, and his driver starts putting rounds through your front window?

Was it shotgun for the lawn, or rifle? I don't want to scroll up.

You've got to pick one and roll with it based on where you live and how you plan to respond to different threats.

For me?

Glock 17 with a tac light... I shoot that **** at everything.

/franksredhot
Oh, a call of duty reference. Now I understand your way of thinking a little more. I don't play it, but my two oldest boys do.
That would explain a lot about some of the things you say.
Like, you would use a 9mm pistol for everything. Good luck with that against a well-trained determined individual with a rifle.
Old 03-02-2013, 21:29   #182
evlbruce

A loaded shotgun is my HD gun for 2 reason 1: It has been reliable for 2000+ rounds. 2. None of my possible engagements are longer than 25 yards. Longer than that range I'd no longer be dealing with home invaders.

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzi
evlbruce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53   #183
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecher45 View Post
Oh, a call of duty reference. Now I understand your way of thinking a little more. I don't play it, but my two oldest boys do.
That would explain a lot about some of the things you say.
Like, you would use a 9mm pistol for everything. Good luck with that against a well-trained determined individual with a rifle.
Calm your emotions.

You make the choice ahead of time based on the threats you expect to receive and what you plan to do about them- because you don't have time to make the choice in the moment.

You or the other guy will *need* to have lead on target right around the time you're wondering which line of defense he is standing on the threshold of, and is he going to cross it.

The less choices you make, the better.
KalashniKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:08   #184
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlbruce View Post
A loaded shotgun is my HD gun for 2 reason 1: It has been reliable for 2000+ rounds. 2. None of my possible engagements are longer than 25 yards. Longer than that range I'd no longer be dealing with home invaders.
Simple, concise, and reasonable. Pretty much says it all.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:12   #185
Olde School
Olde School

For repelling boarders up close and personal in confined spaces I like a shotgun.

Nothing fancy or technical mind you just a 12 ga. with 00 Buck.

His name is "Claymore".........

woundedwarriorproject.org

Last edited by Olde School; 03-07-2013 at 09:36..
Olde School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31   #186
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I have something like that in my stable that I use for a travel gun. It breaks down and goes back together in seconds, fits in my luggage so I don't carry around any of those obvious gun totes, nice addition to your pistol when you are on the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:14   #187
AgentM79
Platinum Membership

The more "Tactical" the accoutrements on a shotgun, the more versatile it becomes. I would define versatile as having both close-range and long-range effectiveness. So, a shotgun, properly deployed, is a devastating weapon out to 15 yards with whatever ammo you use in it (factoring for cylinder or improved-cylinder choke, buck or slug). Outside of 15 yards, if the shotgun has "rifle sights" as opposed to a bead, and you are using slugs, it has extended-range accuracy and lethality far exceeding that of a handgun. So, a shotgun gives you more lethality and accuracy within the same general ranges you would engage a threat with a handgun. Outside of those ranges, a rifle with optics is a superior tool (if you can't identify the threat, why would you shoot it?). The right tool for the right job.

If I can only carry one long gun, though (backed-up by my handgun), it's going to be a Shotgun with both slug and buck ammo. Living where I live, and doing my job, the shotgun is the best tool for the threats I'm likely to face.
Remington 870 Police Magnum, Benelli M1 S90
Smith & Wesson 13-2, 16-3, 36, 66-3, 681-3, 3000
AgentM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:18   #188
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

i know people who think its the untimate weapon for all situations. Its not. Anyone who says you can use slugs for long range to make it like a rifle, doesn't shoot slugs much. A shotgun rules for home defense or close quarters but if i could only have one gun, it would be a carbine hands down
Old 03-03-2013, 10:24   #189
Olde School
Olde School

I had a tactical 870 for years when I was on the job however I sold it after retirement.

I felt I wanted a shotgun that was simple to use for my wife to operate so the double was purchased and is stoked with Low Recoil 00 Buck.

My former patrol AR is my primary long gun for any extended or protracted engagements.

woundedwarriorproject.org

Last edited by Olde School; 03-07-2013 at 09:36..
Olde School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:14   #190
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
The less choices you make, the better.

That's why there is a 60 year old M-500 with an 18" barrel out of the safe each night at the Flipper Estate.
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:37   #191
Aceman

Lot's off good stuff here!

AK really made a great post about context. As always, for a specific purpose, there is a specific gun. In combat (i.e.: REAL tactical use) can't imagine a shotgun beating a rifle. At best, you will moving from indoors to outdoors. You had better have ~200yd capability (or more).

For HD - I'm not shooting more than 50 feet - EVEN if moving outdoors.

As for the lethality of the AR; As always - it's a gopher bullet, it works as well as a .22lr or .50 Beowulf when it lands on target. If it is off target, well....maybe not. Yes, the original AR was rifled properly and shot by guys who could shoot. And didn't spray and pray.

As we see mentioned, everything worth shooting at a bad guy over penetrates. Never forget that. Box O truth is awesome.

And as always - whatever you shoot best is what is best to shoot.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:57   #192
IQof1

7 rounds of 00 Buck with 9 .32 caliber pellets each.

AR 15, 30 rds, one round at a time.

.....do the math
IQof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 16:41   #193
UselessEnergy
simple user

Quote:
If you want to protect yourself, get an SBR'd AK. Have the banana clips for a 7.62 AK, and I promise you as I told my girlfriend, we live in an area that’s urban and metro accessible. I said, honey if there’s ever problem, just walk out on the rooftop, walk out, put that AK and fire one mag dump outside the condo. I promise you whoever’s coming in is not going. You don’t need a shotgun. It’s harder to load; it’s harder to pump. And in fact, you don’t need 00 Buck to protect yourself. Buy an AK. Buy an AK.

thats some of the worst advise ive ever heard.. please dont reproduce hahaha

im just joking around

Last edited by UselessEnergy; 03-03-2013 at 16:42..
UselessEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 16:46   #194
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

With Seller & Bellot 12g 00 buck you get 12 .33 cal, 54gr, lead balls going about 1100fps with each pull of the trigger.

My folding Mossy 500 will hold 6 in the mag tube. 12 x 6 = 72.

That's 72 bullets with only 6 pulls of the trigger.

At 30 feet i get about a 10 inch group with one round.

I can switch to slugs or "blinding" bird shot at a moments notice... or i can alternate different ammo from the side-saddle or other ammo source without having to remove a magazine.

Now put yourself in a sudden "civil unrest" violent riot situation in the middle of the city with mobs of people violently blocking a intersection that you just found yourself and your family inadvertently trapped in like Reginald Denny. The mob is bent on pulling all of you out of your vehicle and then beating you, robbing you, beating your wife and kids and gang raping your wife and daughters.

If i can't simply hit the zombies with my vehicle and get out of the area, i'll use my 10mm 20 rnd Glock pistol out the window first, then the shotgun, then the carbine as backup and for any more precise work that needs to be done.

Your immediate need is to get out of there and get your family and self to a safe place that you can defend. Your immediate need is not to go toe to toe with the mob in their own neighborhood and try to save the world.

Find out what all the fuzz is about... seriously... get AGrip!

Brooks W. Speier

Official AGripô Manufacturer Website

AGripô Installation Video

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Tazz10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 16:48   #195
Stock Perfection

Remington 870 Express youth model. Hunt on Sunday, kick doors on Monday. Cheap, accessable, dependable, effective. There are other choices, but this is all you need (not getting into gauge choices!).
I am the weapon, the gun is my tool.
"Tactical" don't mean much. Sorry if I have offended any of you 'high speed low drag' operators.
That police magnum should serve you well.

Last edited by Stock Perfection; 03-03-2013 at 18:01..
Stock Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 18:11   #196
Gray_Rider

[QUOTE=Olde School For repelling boarders up close and personal in confined spaces I like a shotgun.

Nothing fancy or technical mind you just a 12 ga. with 00 Buck.

His name is "Claymore".........[/QUOTE]

Priceless Olde School. Wish I had thought of that one!

Mine is "Tunnels".

I never meant to imply arming a complete infantry squad with Mossbergs and hundred round bandoleers then sending them into say the urban combat our boys are facing with the sand terrorists.

I am aware of the long distance heavy incoming that arrives on station in a modern firefight, and know even the best shotgun with crates of ammo on hand wouldn't end nicely.

That said, I just wanted some stories from the Nam, WWII, or Korea/WWI where a alley cleaner showed it mettle.

Gray_Rider

Last edited by Gray_Rider; 03-06-2013 at 20:50..
Gray_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 18:27   #197
hogship
It's MY Island

Is the tactical shotgun obsolete?

When armies had bolt rifles, and police had revolvers, the tactical shotgun had more of a distinct advantage than it has now. The one thing where shotguns have the advantage is in stopping power for one shot. It's hard to argue that there is anything more devastating than a 1, or 1 1/4 oz slug, or 00B at close range. Nothing (within reason) is going to have the same effect without follow-up shots.

The answer: No, tactical shotguns aren't obsolete......but, all the other options make smaller the distinctions they once had......

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

Last edited by hogship; 03-03-2013 at 18:32..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 18:28   #198
Gray_Rider

I too prefer my para SKS and my AK if things are breaking bad. But for my narrow hallway that points straight at my front door that has someone else's front door and bedroom right across the street....I like 'ol Tunnels and double load of OO buck.

Gray_Rider
Old 03-03-2013, 20:44   #199
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
A.) Probably more than just a "couple" years ago.

B.)If it wasn't, he probably didn't use it for much other than breaching. Thats pretty much what the .mil uses shotguns for. IIRC, we have a SGM here who works at the Army shotgun training school.
Multiple Army shotgun quals here as well, however we carried them on a daily basis at a busy border crossing. They are effective "riot" guns when faced en-masse, and out-numbered, by albeit, poorly armed groups. No non-lethal shells, but that stupid, dangerous adage about racking the slide as a warning, unfortunately has merit.

*Mossberg 500A, 5 shot magazine, fed with good ol' Army green hull 00 Buck.

Last edited by eyelikeglasses; 03-03-2013 at 20:50.. Reason: *Fun fact.
eyelikeglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:22   #200
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

That's the thing about public perception... they see you with a shotgun they figure you basically can't miss so they are going to get shot... and so they tend to shy away.

Find out what all the fuzz is about... seriously... get AGrip!

Brooks W. Speier

Official AGripô Manufacturer Website

AGripô Installation Video

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Tazz10m is offline   Reply With Quote