Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2013, 14:54   #1
JEEPX

Springfield XDs

I am thinking of buying an XDs. I really like how they feel in the gun store.
I have also put two magazines through a rental. That is all they would allow per customer.
Before plopping down my money I would like to hear from actual owners.

How do you like it after owning for awhile and putting more rounds through it?
How is the pistol holding up? By that I mean cosmetics, and any broken parts.
Are you experiencing any reliability problems?

The thoughts/opinions of actual owners would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
JEEPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 15:21   #3
JEEPX

Good grief. I should have used the search engine.

country gun,
Thanks for the links

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
JEEPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 16:07   #4
windpoint

I like mine. It's a good gun. Buy it and if you don't like it it'll sell fast on Armslist.
windpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 16:49   #5
bac1023

Those that have them seem to really like them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 17:06   #6
erikofnorway

I carry a XD9 which shoots really accurate for me. As accurate as my Glock 17. And I really like the grip safety for carry. Just picked up 2 extra 13 round factory mags straight from Springfield, and they arrived within 2 weeks for same price Gander charges for 10 round mag.
erikofnorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 17:38   #7
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

Great pistol.Mine has been 100% reliable out of the box.
Old 03-07-2013, 18:04   #8
evilspringer

I have about 1200 rounds thru mine with no issues at all.
Great gun. Very accurate for its size and the recoil is very manageable.
evilspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 18:34   #9
glock2740
Gun lover.

I wasn't very impressed right out of the box, but it's starting to grow on me. All that I had read and heard, was nothing but good and with me really liking my other 4 XD series pistols, figured this was a slam dunk, but it was the most dissapointing out of the box out of them all. Hopefully, the more I shoot it, it will loosen up and grow on me, as I like the size and round. Maybe it was just mine, but the trigger was worse than my 4 other XD series guns and the mag release is ridiculously stiff. Several others I shoot with had the exact same thoughts, but like me, they too liked the size, sights and the fact that it's a .45ACP. I've ordered a Crossbreed Minituck for it and after several hundred rounds maybe things will loosen up and I will be able to give some better thoughts on it. I couldn't find one at all to put my hands on, so when Dave at DRC called and said he had a few coming in at a good price, I had to jump on it. We'll see what happens. Hopefully it'll be a keeper.

Last edited by glock2740; 03-07-2013 at 18:36..
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 19:44   #10
awpk03s

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I wasn't very impressed right out of the box, but it's starting to grow on me. All that I had read and heard, was nothing but good and with me really liking my other 4 XD series pistols, figured this was a slam dunk, but it was the most dissapointing out of the box out of them all. Hopefully, the more I shoot it, it will loosen up and grow on me, as I like the size and round. Maybe it was just mine, but the trigger was worse than my 4 other XD series guns and the mag release is ridiculously stiff. Several others I shoot with had the exact same thoughts, but like me, they too liked the size, sights and the fact that it's a .45ACP. I've ordered a Crossbreed Minituck for it and after several hundred rounds maybe things will loosen up and I will be able to give some better thoughts on it. I couldn't find one at all to put my hands on, so when Dave at DRC called and said he had a few coming in at a good price, I had to jump on it. We'll see what happens. Hopefully it'll be a keeper.
In my experience, the XD-S trigger is totally different than any other XD. To me, it feels more like a Glock, where the normal XD is more smoother feeling through the pull. Does that make any sense? I prefer the feel of the Glock trigger regardless so to me the feel of the XD-S was a plus.
I do agree the mag release is stiff, but mine has loosened up with use.
awpk03s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 19:51   #11
jdavionic
NRA Member

I have an XD SC. I got it back when they first came out. Great gun. I periodically switch from my G19 to the XD as my carry gun. I've shot USPSA matches with it too.

The only issue was the older versions had reports of rusting easily. Mine got some surface rust. I called Springfield. They had me sent it in and they refinished it with their current finish. That was years ago. Never an issue since then.

My only mod is a custom extended mag release. I found when competing that it was hard to drop the mag quickly. I got an extended mag release & installed it...found it was too long. I had a buddy turn it down a little on his lathe and it's perfect for me.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:43   #12
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awpk03s View Post
In my experience, the XD-S trigger is totally different than any other XD. To me, it feels more like a Glock, where the normal XD is more smoother feeling through the pull. Does that make any sense? I prefer the feel of the Glock trigger regardless so to me the feel of the XD-S was a plus.
I do agree the mag release is stiff, but mine has loosened up with use.
Makes perfect sense. I've always thought my XD and M&P guns had better triggers than my Glocks. I'm not saying I dislike the Glock trigger, but a Glock is a Glock is a Glock and their triggers are always the same. All my XD guns have had similar triggers, as have my M&P's, minus the M&P Pro9, which has alot better trigger than the other M&P's. That being said, none of the above had such a stiff mag release right out of the box. I have a good feeling that the XDs will loosen up after alot of rounds have been run through it, but I was kind of dissapointed with it out of the box, especially with all the hype. SA makes one hell of a product though, and this one is new and I'm sure they're pumping them out as fast as they can, so maybe, but sadly, this XDs, at least MY XDs, is going to need quite a few (500+) rounds put through it to make it as "XD'ish" as I would like and am used to. Overall, I'm dissapointed in the "out of the box" quality of the gun, but the size, accuracy and company that it came from all speak well of the gun.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10   #13
costanza187
I like Macs

I have a XD9 SC. I am not sure what generation, I got it in 08. I haven't put a lot of rounds through it, but from what I have it has been perfect.

It was intended to be my carry weapon, and was for a while (it still sees time in the rotation during the winter months). My only complaint about the gun is the weight. It feels like I am carrying around a small brick, making it harder to conceal. That's why I usually go with the S&W Bodyguard .380, or a S&W 442 revolver. However, if I was in a "situation" I would MUCH rather have the XD. I am actually reevaluating the way I carry, finding a better belt or something to accommodate the XD so that I can use it more.
Old 03-08-2013, 23:54   #14
sharp

I just got one; I like it! Only shot 50 rounds of 230grain hardball through it so far. As others have said, it's surprisingly accurate. 50-100 rounds in one range session will be plenty for me, but recoil really is quite manageable. I haven't carried it yet; haven't shot it enough yet, plus no holster yet either. I have two holsters on order; a kydex front pocket holster, and a kydex deep concealment IWB holster, both by PJ Holsters.
sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:47   #15
InsaneGorilla
Hello

Send a message via AIM to InsaneGorilla
My main carry piece. I have it in a IWB holster from deep concealment. After carrying it for a few hours you'll hardly noticed the weight. I used to carry a hk p2000 and worry about the weight and printing. XDs makes it alot easier to conceal.
InsaneGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:04   #16
billy b

xds

i also just got one. great gun. have only shot it around 70 times. shot some +p ammo out of it. wasn"t very pleasent. will carry 230 hp. seems to be what sights are set up for.
billy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:22   #17
45caldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
I have not shot one (would REALLY like too) I keep hearing how mild the recoil is in such a small .45.
Anyhow I would not worry about the trigger too much NOR the mag release in a gun of this type. The mag release IMO SHOULD error on the stiff side in a subcompact pistol like this.
I HAD a Kahr PM9 that had a mag release that was way too light....not good for a pocket pistol! It would constantly drop the mag in my pocket if I bumped into anything with my leg....
Old 03-10-2013, 07:14   #18
bmxman37

i think some of these posts can be confusing to people when you are talking about other xd models not the newer xds 45. i have a few friends that own them and love them and made it their main carry. i am trying to get my hands on one but fin feather fur at all three locations sell out within a few hours of getting them.. and at about $530 i think is a pretty good price on them when i see people bidding on them at $700 on gunbroker!
bmxman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 00:18   #19
bmxman37

finally i made it to fff before they sold out they had 8 when they opened at 10 am and when i got their they only had three left and the guy next to me was buying 2! it was $529 plus tax and i got it on the 12 months same as cash they offer.. just want to add a set of night sites and take back the blackhawk iwb holster and get a little more high quality one that allows the gun to leave the holster when taking it out ha! does fit nice in the pocket with a pocket holster, can hardly see anything (however i do not know why i need the pocket holster considering it only covers the front part of the slide) also picked up some hornady critical defense rounds, im curious on how they will work out... go out and get one!
bmxman37 is offline   Reply With Quote