SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:19   #151
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
You're in for a real treat. Drunks, drunks, and more drunks and some racing.
Absolutely NOT my experience at Kansas. (My first outing after my quadruple bypass. Still was bleeding a little from my incision.) Great time, Great fans.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31   #152
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDL-UP View Post
I quit watching NASCAR in the late 1990's.
Then your opinions are based on 20 year old knowledge, and show as much.

Today's NASCAR attracts drivers from ALL other driving venues, but few other drivers can make it in NASCAR. F1 drivers are particularly disadvantaged because they don't know how to drive a car that isn't basically computer controlled.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35   #153
fwm

Quote:
Nor the entertainment of F1.
Entertaining???? I've watched every race since a fellow here at work said he watches it, so we have some common ground for conversation. Except for breakage, and maybe rain, they races are won and lost in QUALIFYING!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:47   #154
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
You're in for a real treat. Drunks, drunks, and more drunks and some racing.
I can't comment on other tracks, but the crowd at KY Speedway when I went was very well behaved. Much better than the Bengals games I went to, and better than some baseball games as well.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:51   #155
skinny99
Crew Chief

Quote:
I take it you've never been to Talladega. That was the largest assembly of belligerent drunks that I have ever seen. I saw cans flying in the stands and thrown at cars on the backstretch parking area. I will never take my family to a NASCAR event again. That was almost 13 years ago.
Talladega WAS an anomaly. The locals took pride in making it the
rowdiest place on the circuit. They did a good job of making that happen. NASCAR got tired of it and made the track tighten up. You would find it very different today. I am not sure they should have changed it though. Every family should have a blacksheep!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:54   #156
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I take it you've never been to Talladega. That was the largest assembly of belligerent drunks that I have ever seen. I saw cans flying in the stands and thrown at cars on the backstretch parking area. I will never take my family to a NASCAR event again. That was almost 13 years ago.
Talladega is the party track is it not? A guy I worked with showed me some pictures from when he went. Someone set up a stripper pole in the camping area. Wouldn't be my first choice for a track to take my kids to.
Old 03-01-2013, 21:19   #157
SDDL-UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
Then your opinions are based on 20 year old knowledge, and show as much.

Today's NASCAR attracts drivers from ALL other driving venues, but few other drivers can make it in NASCAR. F1 drivers are particularly disadvantaged because they don't know how to drive a car that isn't basically computer controlled.
I cannot believe you just said that! There are a lot of NASCAR drivers that wouldn't make it one lap in a Formula 1 car - and I'm not kidding. I assure you the power delivery of a Formula 1 engine is WAY tougher to control than a 350 CI Chevy. NASCAR attracts drivers - FOR MONEY, not because they appreciate the "racing".

Could you please define "make it" in NASCAR?

I'd wager 90% of the NASCAR drivers would jump ship to another form of racing if the money was the same. I'd rather watch Corvettes and Porsche 911's chasing each other around a road course, or Camaros and Mustangs, or purpose built racers than the "racing" that is NASCAR.

Now what is it about my 20 year old knowledge that is incorrect?
Old 03-01-2013, 21:30   #158
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDL-UP View Post
I cannot believe you just said that! There are a lot of NASCAR drivers that wouldn't make it one lap in a Formula 1 car - and I'm not kidding. I assure you the power delivery of a Formula 1 engine is WAY tougher to control than a 350 CI Chevy. NASCAR attracts drivers - FOR MONEY, not because they appreciate the "racing".

Could you please define "make it" in NASCAR?

I'd wager 90% of the NASCAR drivers would jump ship to another form of racing if the money was the same. I'd rather watch Corvettes and Porsche 911's chasing each other around a road course, or Camaros and Mustangs, or purpose built racers than the "racing" that is NASCAR.

Now what is it about my 20 year old knowledge that is incorrect?
Someone will be along to tell you that Tony Stewart did fine in a F1 test drive, but that was on a clear track. I can't imagine a NASCAR driver to excel at Monaco.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 22:46   #159
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

I've heard "Lady and gentlemen, start your engines." Plural with more than one woman driver, of course.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote